Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

this broken hill posted:

legitimate question, do any of you have animal husbandry skills?

i'm not mocking anyone, survivalists are fascinating to me and i like talking to them

I'm not a prepper but I live a lifestyle that leads to a heavy overlap with practical prepping stuff. I used to raise meat rabbits and manage a horse ranch. I now have a different job and am starting on ducks and have some chickens and mini pigs as well. If it came down to it I could do alright on my place assuming I planted and grew the backlog of seeds I have as well. What do you want to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

FWIW, I like my Strongarm quite a bit.

I've heard really good things about them, aside from mid-range steel and them breaking when people attempt to baton with them, which I don't blame them for, since most sites describe it as a full tang knife... despite it not being a full tang knife:

^^^ That's the Infantry II, but the Strongarm follows the same design iirc

Edit: Or maybe it's actually a full tang?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 5, 2018

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Actually the best prepping is to join the infantry so you don't immediately freeze up in all your expensive gear when confronted by mild violence.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm not interested in violence to be honest. I'm looking for a good fixed blade knife because even the Calgary municipality link in the op suggests a sturdy knife, but I'm also considering more "emergency situation" style knives that are not intended for stabbing.

I was on the cusp of ordering a KaBar BK3, which was designed for emergency responder use, but then Amazon's price bot went wonky and the price shot up by +$60 overnight :(

Edit: But yeah, there are definitely a lot of guys out there who dream of a Walking Dead type scenario where they travel the wastelands leaving bodies in their wake.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 8, 2018

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I'm not interested in violence to be honest. I'm looking for a good fixed blade knife because even the Calgary municipality link in the op suggests a sturdy knife, but I'm also considering more "emergency situation" style knives that are not intended for stabbing.

I was on the cusp of ordering a KaBar BK3, which was designed for emergency responder use, but then Amazon's price bot went wonky and the price shot up by +$60 overnight :(

Edit: But yeah, there are definitely a lot of guys out there who dream of a Walking Dead type scenario where they travel the wastelands leaving bodies in their wake.

I have a Kabar BK16 that I very much like for a fixed blade do everything type knife. It's certainly not "made for stabbing" and is very practical.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think I've come around to the same conclusion as a lot of people and decided to go with a BK2(22). I'll just reinforce the stitching of the sheath myself as soon as I get it and put the ~$16 savings over buying the plastic sheath into some stainless steel nuts and Micarta/ after-market scales.

If I'm still interested after that I can always get something else :shrug:

Edit:

Thanks for the tip on the BK16, I looked at that quite a bit as well!

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
oh lol i forgot i posted in this thread

i have survivalist tendencies myself (my father told me all my life that doomsday was just around the corner, i try not to take it too seriously but that sort of indoctrination is hard to shrug off) but am a gentle and loving individual with an affinity for animals and no taste for bloodshed. i'm also guided in my dreams by the ghost of ariel sharon, who was famous for bloodshed but was also actually a gentle and loving individual with an affinity for animals, and he told me that no matter how much faith you put in your human friends, no one outside your own blood family will ever be as loyal to you as a hand-reared ram. so my preparation for the end is mostly in the field of agriculture. that was how we pulled ourselves out of primordial chaos and it's how we'll rise again when everything has been reduced to ash and cockroaches

the pillars of my strategy are saltbush, kurrajongs, acacias, damara sheep, feral rangeland goats, guinea fowl, bees and emus. with these beasts of the field i will rebuild society to the glory of the lord, and the sixth millennium will be a time of forests and flowers when all living things will coexist in peace and harmony. there will be no blood, no meat, no killing - just milk and honey, and from the migrating shorebirds in the heavens to the fishes of the depths, all the earth's voices will ring out in praise. hallelujah!

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i also intend to raise a pack of wild dingos, which i will command with an intricate language of song

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bet you could make a pretty good fence using paracord

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If you're ever bored and want to read something sad, check out this stuff

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Is there a nice, durable kinetic/crank operated USB device charger worth a drat?

My post apoc fantasies involve an e-reader packed with books and maybe some Mario Kart on the switch between watch shifts looking out for raider gangs who want to take our beans.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I ended up buying a Gerber Spine to throw in my bag

It's lighter than my old dive knife. I'll probably add another one at some point. There is a smaller version of this knife called the Vertebrae, but I can't see it's size being very useful :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

Bikes require well-maintained, smooth roads to be useful.

Yeah sure but also: no they don't.

Milo and POTUS posted:

*Although they were basically walking them with hundreds of pounds of cargo

This is a good example of one thing they are very useful for.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So pro bike, finn?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

So pro bike, finn?

Army bikes 4 lyfe.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I haven't updated in a while. I bought a couple more knives, which should be it for me, and I've added a couple cargo pockets to the outside of my bag. I'll take photos later after I get the last pocket sewed on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The cargo pockets I added with my limited sewing skills (I added the tabs to help with them being overstuffed at times).

As well as the knives I've bought recently

More than necessary, I think I'm done collecting. I figure that I'll keep the Kabar and the larger of the two Gerbers with the bag. The little one has proven to be pretty useful around the house!

• Locked thread