Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

After the last thread I started to really start think about the bag of emergency stuff that I keep in my car. I ditched a few things that I didn't feel would be useful (like tools that I don't know how to use on a car anyway) and began concentrating more on a 72 Hour bag that would be useful if I ever stranded myself in the middle of nowhere, was stuck on a highway overnight, or even lost power at my home for an extended period of time (we've lost power for as long as 2 weeks before).

I'd like to use this thread as an Ask/Tell place to talk about bags and how best to prepare them. I know in the last thread I learned a lot of things from posters that I haven't read online before (such as ditching the hatchet and shovel and going with a sturdy knife instead), and the last thread was closed.

Since this is the op I suppose I'll go into the different types of emergency bags, but I'm not super knowledgeable on them and mostly have what I've picked up from the last thread and a few websites:

72 Hr Bag

The city of Calgary's website on preparing for emergencies says:

quote:

In the event of an emergency, responders may be busy assisting those in immediate danger. The 72-hour kit holds supplies to support you and your family for 3 days in an emergency situation.

and includes this checklist:

This bag is what I find myself going towards, though I think my bag is complete it will be a bit further into Prepper Bugout Bag territory.

Bug Out Bag

The key difference from what I can tell between the two types is that while a 72 Hr Bag is suited for things like power outages and emergency relocation, Bug Out Bags are also geared towards civil unrest, heavily delayed or limited law enforcement and emergency response, and anarchy that might force someone to retreat into the woods for a few days or more. The Art of Manliness article I've linked here is basically what I'd consider to be a standard Bug Out Bag, though not all Bug Out Bags include a revolver like the guy in the link, which is a pretty awful idea in my opinion in terms of firearm storage unless you're locking your bag up in a gun safe.

Everything Else

The further into the hobby, which is what it appears to be for many, the stranger things get. I guess I would define the "Everything Else" category as having a much heavier focus on firearms, knives, and camo while focusing less on food than the others, where emergency services or the military might take several days or weeks to arrive.

My Bag

Right now my bag consists of an old backpack, however if I keep adding to it I may switch over to an old duffle bag. In it I have:

A hand crank or battery or solar radio/ flashlight/ phone charger

Toiletries

CLIFF bars, a generic chocolate bar, maps of my area, and an old dive knife

Wool clothing, zip ties, a poncho, and head lamp (another tip from the last thread!)

Glow stick, 2 emergency blankets, sunglasses, whistle, pencil sharpener, granola bars, paracord and elastic cords, a Gerber multitool, a small Gerber outdoor kit (see below), a marker, binoculars, and a very reflective top to a candle.

I forget everything that is in this kit, but I know it has waterproof matches, a firestarter, cheap cord, snare stuff (I do not know how to hunt), and a small knife. I added the scissors.

Left to get

I've been slowly picking away at this, since I don't want to break the bank putting together something I may never use. My next "big item" is a First Aid kid, followed by things like duct tape, more matches, a tarp, small and compact cooking supplies, metal spork, batteries, and a water filter. Things I can put together now but haven't included include a sewing kit, toilet paper, garbage bags.

I also want to buy a better knife, possibly a Ka-bar BK 7 or 9, that i can use and abuse without worry of breaking.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I never expect to have to use one of these but as someone who had a large part of their home destroyed by a tornado when I was a kid I do think It's important to be prepared, if something does happen your going to be off to a much better start then the majority of people.

I'm hardly an expert but looking over your bag one you didn't post what you were doing for water, two I feel you may want to include more food. You can survive without it but in a stressful situation where you're exerting yourself physically having the extra calories can really help you keep your head on right. Some hard candy is lightweight, easy to eat on the move,and is comforting especially to children if you have any. You might also want to add some tuna pouches. They're lighter than cans and eating nothing but protein bars sounds hellish. Probably try and find them packed in Olive Oil, it'll increase the calories and give you access to some fats instead of relying so much on protein.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My problem is that winters can get very cold here, so anything like tuna would freeze. Hard candy is a good idea, I was also thinking a couple of those Ritter chocolate bars.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

personally I think having a small camping stove, the kind that you just attach to the top of a propane tank, is a good idea. and some propane. so you can make hot food and boil water for all kinds of uses

also there are cheap handcrank flashlights, i'd get at least one of those so you have a portable light source that isn't dependent on batteries

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
My nuke plans involve dark clothing and a lawn chair because I've got no interest in surviving that poo poo. But for other, less civilization ending poo poo I think it's a great idea. I live now and have lived in the past in places with extremely severe weather and it frustrates me to no end how few people take it seriously. I've got some ideas involving putting canned food, mylar blanket, waterproofed matches, water purification tablets, etc in a spare nalgene bottle and just tossing that poo poo in the trunk of my car. I could easily get 3 meals + an early afternoon snack in one I'm pretty sure.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Earwicker posted:

personally I think having a small camping stove, the kind that you just attach to the top of a propane tank, is a good idea. and some propane. so you can make hot food and boil water for all kinds of uses

also there are cheap handcrank flashlights, i'd get at least one of those so you have a portable light source that isn't dependent on batteries

Yeah, I have a mug/pot and a small, collapsible stove on my Amazon wishlist:

They both pack small, which is good. Regarding light, the radio I have has a couple lights on it (flashlight and "reading light") that cranks and charges through solar.

Milo and POTUS posted:

My nuke plans involve dark clothing and a lawn chair because I've got no interest in surviving that poo poo. But for other, less civilization ending poo poo I think it's a great idea. I live now and have lived in the past in places with extremely severe weather and it frustrates me to no end how few people take it seriously. I've got some ideas involving putting canned food, mylar blanket, waterproofed matches, water purification tablets, etc in a spare nalgene bottle and just tossing that poo poo in the trunk of my car. I could easily get 3 meals + an early afternoon snack in one I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, if the nukes fly I'm going to be on my lawn watching it happen, not heading off into the woods to live out any prepper survivalist fantasy for my last few minutes.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Professor Shark posted:

My problem is that winters can get very cold here, so anything like tuna would freeze.

You can eat frozen tuna, unpeeling it from a pouch would be even easier than a can. Enjoy your tuna popsicle!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'll think about adding it!

Today I unexpectedly came across a reasonable First Aid kit for $7, so I grabbed it to check off the list as well as a sewing kit I put together. I want to get a tube of Afterbite and a few more thing to put into it, but I'm pleased with the find!

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Looks pretty much the same as the average rape kit really.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

A lot of the time when I'm in the car I'm not wearing substantial shoes so I threw in an old pair with a good thick sole in case I need to walk a bit. Another thing was bulking up the off the shelf first aid kit with some larger bandages, guaze and stuff. I also have an old heavy blanket, umbrella, and a few gallons of water in the car with the backpack.

The likely disasters here would be earthquake, fires, and the occasional mudslide/flash flood so that's what I tried to plan for in the car kit. The kit for inside the house is geared more toward shelter in place type situations.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

My concern with these things is that I’d just be buying and organizing supplies for the guy who robs/kills me.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Maybe I should inject one of the CLIF bars with strychnine...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Mark it with jolly roger stickers. Just for safety.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I've just got a dog but I feel she'd be more useful than all of this other poo poo.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Quite a few sources suggest planning pet stuff. I should probably put a small amount of dog food in.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Really how much liquor do you need for 72 hours? 6 bottles?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Depends on if your intent is to live through it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A few sources I’ve read suggest having booze in your kit. I was thinking a small thing of vodka, plastic bottle.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I have a little emergency kit that I keep in the backpack I take to work every day. It's packed into a zippered container the size and shape of a hardcover book (if anyone remembers those). It's an AmazonBasics thing that I think was supposed to be an electronics case:

Contents:
  • An elastic bandage for wrapping a sprained wrist or ankle
  • Band-aids of various sizes and a tube of neosporin, plus a couple of large non-adhesive pads and a little roll of the tape you stick them on with
  • A sealed package with a quick-clot treated bandage, in case of serious bleeding. (The elastic ankle bandage and/or adhesive tape might come in handy to keep pressure on it hands-free.)
  • Ziploc bag of various medications, either in proper single-use packages or just loose pills dumped into smaller bags: ibuprofen, DayQuil, cough drops, antacid tabs, Immodium, Benadryl.
  • A travel-size tube of sunscreen (I am really REALLY white)
  • A pair of EMT shears (the serious full-size cut-coins-in-half ones)
  • Keychain flashlight, small pocketknife, a few zip ties and safety pins, spare shoelaces, pair of earplugs

This is obviously not a proper bug-out bag or 72-hour kit. It's a small kit designed for everyday emergencies and small injuries/ailments. And most of it has come in handy. (I really hope I never have to use the quick-clot thing, which is the one item in the kit that's only useful in case of a major injury.) If I can get to my car, it contains some more extensive supplies, including a few bottles of water, a package of lifeboat rations, a couple of proper flashlights, sunglasses, an extra jacket, and even a pair of dry socks, plus of course the shelter, heat, radio receiver, electrical power and mobility provided by the car itself.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 19, 2018

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That's a great kit!

I've been looking for small bottles of sunscreen but have not found anything. I really don't want to put a full bottle in, since this thing is getting pretty heavy as it is.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Car is workhorse of wasteland. Car is move, is weapon, is lover.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yo toss some fishhooks and a thing of floss up in there. You're also missing a magnesium firestarter.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have a pretty big spool of floss already, plus a flint-and-steel, but the firestarter isn't very good so I could always use more. I have a 50 pack of water/wind proof matches in my Amazon wishlist that I've been meaning to buy, but I guess the magnesium would be more compact.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

MC Hawking posted:

Yo toss some fishhooks and a thing of floss up in there. You're also missing a magnesium firestarter.

I've known more than a few outdoorsy types who keep an ultralight rod and reel in their car at all times in case the opportunity to fish presents itself; you never know when you'll find a nice stream, stocked pond, whatever if you're travelling in a ton of rural places. These modern ones are so light and compact I'd recommend getting one of those instead if money's no object. They do it more for entertainment than food but even so, if you can catch it at all it might be dinner worthy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I ended up getting a few things over the weekend: another flashlight and a better whistle. I also have a fishing rod that I could attach to the side of it if I find a cardboard tube!

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
I'm curious; how do you intend to actually use this?

From what I understand, the original "go bag" concept came from the US State Department (and, uh, other agencies that operate overseas) - if there's civil unrest, you need a bag with your ID, important papers, a phone or radio, and a couple of bricks of American and local cash to pay off people to get your rear end to the embassy during a riot/coup/crackdown/whatever. Obviously, in that kind of situation, you don't want to stick out with a giant hiking backpack, so the idea is a discreet briefcase or school backpack stashed right next to your bedroom door.

In an emergency that doesn't involve political violence targeted at people who look like you, why spend time and energy going out into the woods when rescue services are probably going to be focused on the places people live? And, if there is a bunch of violence, then why would you make yourself a literal and figurative bigger target?

(This is separate from keeping emergency supplies on hand in your car or home, which is a good idea. I'm asking about the whole "bug out bag, with three days food/water/shelter/clothing/guns/ammo/everything else under the sun, strapped to my back" thing)

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Space Gopher posted:

In an emergency that doesn't involve political violence targeted at people who look like you, why spend time and energy going out into the woods when rescue services are probably going to be focused on the places people live? And, if there is a bunch of violence, then why would you make yourself a literal and figurative bigger target?

(This is separate from keeping emergency supplies on hand in your car or home, which is a good idea. I'm asking about the whole "bug out bag, with three days food/water/shelter/clothing/guns/ammo/everything else under the sun, strapped to my back" thing)

I suppose:

1) shelter-in-place may not a viable strategy for many potential emergencies e.g., hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados, etc. Plus, government rescue services haven't exactly performed great lately. 3 days of self-sufficiency seems prudent.

1.5) People can turn brutish pretty quick if they are hungry...

2) in the event of targeted political violence, they're probably not intending to camp in the local park. They'll flee to where it's statistically improbable that anyone will find them, much less that subset of the population seeking to cause them harm. And, if you don't think it will blow over, 3 days may also give you time to reach a safe house.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Space Gopher posted:

I'm curious; how do you intend to actually use this?

It's not quite the same concept, but a use-case I remember when I first heard about a Bugout Bag years ago is having a bag with all your supplies for a normal, non-disaster, 72-hour trip already prepared and somewhere ready. This means that if there's a family emergency and you need to go somewhere quickly to help a loved one, you don't have to slow down to pack before you get in the car. It also means that if you decide to go on any kind of weekend getaway, you just have to make the decision, grab your bag, and go.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I can only really imagine me using my bag in an environmental disaster where I might not be able to get home/ have to leave in a hurry, in which case it's really a "In case I forgot ________" bag. It's happened to me once before and I had somewhere close to go, however I'd like to plan for a time when I might have to go further.

A lot of the Bug Out Bag stuff seems to be mostly fantasy stuff. It reminds me a lot of a time my father-in-law said that, if he ever needed to, he could walk into the woods and survive without anyone seeing him ever again... I think most of the "enthusiasts" prepare for videogame-like scenarios because it's more fun than breaking down in the middle of the night or flooding, snow storm, etc.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Professor Shark posted:

I can only really imagine me using my bag in an environmental disaster where I might not be able to get home/ have to leave in a hurry, in which case it's really a "In case I forgot ________" bag. It's happened to me once before and I had somewhere close to go, however I'd like to plan for a time when I might have to go further.

A lot of the Bug Out Bag stuff seems to be mostly fantasy stuff. It reminds me a lot of a time my father-in-law said that, if he ever needed to, he could walk into the woods and survive without anyone seeing him ever again... I think most of the "enthusiasts" prepare for videogame-like scenarios because it's more fun than breaking down in the middle of the night or flooding, snow storm, etc.

Actual wilderness survival without a lot of experience/training is pretty drat difficult. Preparedness makes it simpler. Education makes it simpler (are you sure those plants you're foraging aren't actually poisonous?). If you live somewhere that it's a real possibility (read: anywhere that experiences natural disasters and isn't a massive urban center like NYC), having some kind of plan is a good idea. I don't keep a bugout bag for personal reasons, but if I had to get going in a hurry I could throw something together in about 10 minutes. We don't see tornadoes or earthquakes where I live, which are the only real disasters which may necessitate a faster response than that.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

... I think most of the "enthusiasts" prepare for videogame-like scenarios because it's more fun than breaking down in the middle of the night or flooding, snow storm, etc.

IDK. As Space Gopher pointed out, the optimal kit varies greatly depending on your usage scenario.

Personally, I'm not worrying about political stuff, but it's hard to call it completely looney. I suspect I'd have a different view if I were a Jew in France or if Hodgkinson had been a better shot.

:edit: Based on their rhetoric, I also suspect a few :airquote: #Resist types also have bags.

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 22, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

gaj70 posted:

:edit: Based on their rhetoric, I also suspect a few :airquote: #Resist types also have bags.

The 'everyone is against me and I need to prepare for black helicopters and SWAT-style police actions' isn't unique to the #resist types, though they're the most recent variation on an old theme. Those kind of 'the government is spying on me, in particular' types tend to have the most :psyduck: bugout bags though.

Mine consists of enough food and water to last three days, plus a sleeping bag I can shove in my car if I figure it'll be cold enough out that a blanket won't work. Oh, and a small first aid kit in case I cut myself really bad or something.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Space Gopher posted:

From what I understand, the original "go bag" concept came from the US State Department (and, uh, other agencies that operate overseas) - if there's civil unrest, you need a bag with your ID, important papers, a phone or radio, and a couple of bricks of American and local cash to pay off people to get your rear end to the embassy during a riot/coup/crackdown/whatever. Obviously, in that kind of situation, you don't want to stick out with a giant hiking backpack, so the idea is a discreet briefcase or school backpack stashed right next to your bedroom door.

That's always been my go-bag and if I couldn't get to safety using a passport, a high-limit credit card and/or a pile of USD, I wasn't going to be able to make it, regardless of how many blades my swiss army knife had.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

A few things I’d add, homemade fire starters (easy to make with lint and wax), I have a paracord bracelet with a built in fire strike (can’t think of the proper term dang lupus fog), a five-prong harpoon tip you could fashion to any large stick or pole, and yo-yo fishing reels, which can also double as animal traps (there are tons of videos on YouTube on multiple uses for these). I’d also consider adding a few tampons (not just for menstruation, but great at stopping bleeding, a lifestraw and water purification tablets, and of course Mylar blankets. I’m just thinking off the top of my head of things I’ve recently thought of. I know there’s more. I have a couple of laminated cards with info on shelters, purifying water, food resources, make-shift stoves and cooking and eating implements, emergency wilderness first aid, etc., a handcrank flashlight, solar charger for devices,

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Really how much liquor do you need for 72 hours? 6 bottles?

Well, assuming you’re not an alcoholic, 3-4 of the plane sized alcohol bottles is good for a short-term kit, but not to use to get drunk; it’s mainly for disinfecting wounds and any gear needed to treat a wound, and maybe to get tipsy enough that if you have to stitch yourself it won’t hurt as bad.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

mombot posted:

Well, assuming you’re not an alcoholic, 3-4 of the plane sized alcohol bottles is good for a short-term kit, but not to use to get drunk; it’s mainly for disinfecting wounds and any gear needed to treat a wound, and maybe to get tipsy enough that if you have to stitch yourself it won’t hurt as bad.

If you're considering booze for disinfectant you should really just be using disinfectant.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dance Officer posted:

If you're considering booze for disinfectant you should really just be using disinfectant.

You can't bribe a border guard with a bottle of Chlorox.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mombot posted:

A few things I’d add, homemade fire starters (easy to make with lint and wax), I have a paracord bracelet with a built in fire strike (can’t think of the proper term dang lupus fog), a five-prong harpoon tip you could fashion to any large stick or pole, and yo-yo fishing reels, which can also double as animal traps (there are tons of videos on YouTube on multiple uses for these). I’d also consider adding a few tampons (not just for menstruation, but great at stopping bleeding, a lifestraw and water purification tablets, and of course Mylar blankets. I’m just thinking off the top of my head of things I’ve recently thought of. I know there’s more. I have a couple of laminated cards with info on shelters, purifying water, food resources, make-shift stoves and cooking and eating implements, emergency wilderness first aid, etc., a handcrank flashlight, solar charger for devices,

Lifestraw is next on the Amazon list, I really like the idea of laminated cards, though! That's something I can check out today and will fit in with my book of maps.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Well, I got out of the habit of buying something every week or so for my bag, but I saw this mini shovel today at the Dollar Store and decided to add it:

Reviews for lighter weight folding shovels made it seem like they weren't all that great, and this smaller one beats the old one that I got from my partner's grandfather, which was a sort of "Half Shovel" that weighed a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
What I don't understand is why people never seem to have a spare phone charger and/or a cheap prepaid dumbphone as part of their kit. I realize the assumption is that in a true emergency cellular services will be disrupted for a time, but when you get stuck in the middle of a winter storm on your way home from work your best survival technique may well be to pick up the phone and call for help before you freeze to death.

E: I suppose to someone's earlier point this is mostly a regional thing, where I live we don't really have to worry about earthquakes or wildfires, tornados are infrequent, and hurricanes are lol pack your poo poo because anything you leave behind probably won't be there when you get back anyway. Winter storms, however, tend to be an annual thing and often go from a chilly morning commute to a frozen hellscape by lunchtime.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 19, 2018

• Locked thread