Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

lmao at that sequence that just happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Scoring first and then conceding an away goal a minute later is a fine start down that road!

Straight red card before halftime in the first leg, yep yep.

This is actually a disappointingly prosaic way to lose this pretty easy tournament when compared to "game abandoned due to lightning while leading the away leg" or "concede last-minute winner on which the scorer breaks his leg" or "whatever the gently caress inspired Montreal to give up six goals and give Toronto the title on goal difference." I'm not sure it is possible to top those without literal deaths.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 9, 2018

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Holy poo poo, LAFC's clinching PK got saved.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

whypick1 posted:

Holy poo poo, LAFC's clinching PK got saved.

Is that the sound of keeper penalties I hear in the distance?

edit: nope! Houston go through, Bob Bradley unfortunately won't be winning a double with TWO expansion teams twenty years apart.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Joe Willis is getting laid tonight.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I’m counting our Blessings.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

US Open Cup Final: Philadelphia Union @ Houston Dynamo - September 26.

For those curious: Houston plays @Orlando before, San Jose after. Philly plays KC before, @Columbus after.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

This is actually a disappointingly prosaic way to lose this pretty easy tournament

okay I lied Secret Agent Doneil Henry is definitely up there

Guess we have to win at BMO next week GREAT JOB EVERYONE GOLD STAR

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Dallan Invictus posted:

okay I lied Secret Agent Doneil Henry is definitely up there

Guess we have to win at BMO next week GREAT JOB EVERYONE GOLD STAR

I feel for you but at the same time lmao

Don’t forget “lost the first ever time it came down to penalties,” you got that going too

Poonior Toilett fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 10, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Oh do not get me wrong it is intensely funny, gallows humour is extremely my jam and some of that comes out in performative angst.

I'm used to this really, Spurs are my PL team so between the two of them if I could not shrug this sort of thing off with laughter I would have quit watching the sport LONG ago and taken up a less stressful vice like cocaine.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

TwoStepBoog posted:

AND apparently a Portland player called Dio the n-word during the match.

That investigation wrapped up, inconclusive.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Second leg of the Canadian Championship tonight at 7:30 local time.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Second leg of the Canadian Championship tonight at 7:30 local time.

i'll be there, howling incoherently into the wind

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Probably the most important game Toronto FC is going to play until 2019. :w00t:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Gutsy move by Vancouver starting Henry lol

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Azerban posted:

i'll be there, howling incoherently into the wind

I'll be here, pre-emptively drinking to forget (no thanks to TSN, who were at least kind enough to provide a trigger warning and a commercial break before jumping into the retrospectives).

Reince Penis posted:

Gutsy move by Vancouver starting Henry lol

You haven't met our other central defenders, I see.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
wednesday night cup final??!! :vince:

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

I have a feeling Toronto are going to win this.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

gio header lol

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
the Jozy+Gio wacky buddy comedy still owns

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I hope all you fans of American teams appreciate the favour we're all doing you by keeping Toronto in the Champions League every year.

(gg, see you next year, kinda curious how this tournament will look next year with the CPL teams involved)

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Lmao vanpoover

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

There you have it, Vancouver’s latest Voyageurs Cup disgrace, a Jozy hat trick smh

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

why

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

There you have it, Vancouver’s latest Voyageurs Cup disgrace, a Jozy hat trick smh

I'm mostly pissed because we would have won on Saturday if Jozy hadn't gotten that red at 11' with him in this kind of form.

But tonight was still a lot of fun.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Houston vs. Philadelphia tonight! ESPN2.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Houston out to an early lead just to spite all the neutrals rooting for The Process (soccer edition).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
This Manotas kid...he's pretty good.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Get absolutely hosed Philly, what an OG lol

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Joe Willis is gonna lift a trophy. :)

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

WE WON THE CUP

THE ONLY CUP THAT MATTERS

SEASON OVER

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Lol we have no business being champions of anything this year.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
DC Naranja

Clap clap

Clap clap clap clap

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Also this is the third cup final in a row the Union have made and lost, right?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Also this is the third cup final in a row the Union have made and lost, right?

No, but to your delight the last five losers have been Philly x3, New England, and the New York/New Jersey Red Bull Stars.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Man, they really are my team's slightly more competent American twin.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

So many Latin American flags wrapped around players on the stage to lift the US Open Cup. Then as they take the trophy for a lap around the stadium, the music blaring over the stadium speakers is a mariachi cover of "We Are The Champions"

Sometimes I love my city.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I won't deny I wanted Philly to win but Houston could be a Montreal-esque CCL surprise next year so I can't complain.

They have the CONCACAF nature like that Impact team did, they could go far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I don't even want to be a Montreal-esque surprise. Houston has its own pedigree in CCC and CCL. We were the first MLS team to get a result in Mexico back in 2008 and , had the away goals rule been in effect during CCC, we would have beaten one of the best teams in Mexican league history in Pachuca in 2007. Cominic Kinnear placed very little priority on international games (and US Open Cup games for that matter). I'm excited to see what a team full of Central and South American players are capable of with a coach who is interested in making a proper run at this tournament.

• Locked thread