Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

magnavox space odyssey posted:

I am still here and was planning on asking that guy how this differs from capitalism commodifying all culture (other than it not being fair to the original black artists).

Thinking on it, black artists not getting money for their songs while white artists do (for the same style of songs/even same songs, really) would prevent black people from ever being accepted/rising in societal standing. But I do not see what that has to do with cultural appropriation, as it seems to just be racism. Or is cultural appropriation specifically about marginalized people being prevented from profiting off their own culture?

I do think libs are stupid, though.

It's not necessarily about profit. The best way, I think, to really get a grasp on cultural appropriation is to check out the book "The Beauty of the Primitive: Shamanism in the Western Imagination" by Andrei Znamenski and see it in action.

Cultural appropriation also undercuts the ability of the people of that culture to self-define it. If you are in most countries, for example, and see a notice about a "Sufi" group, it's mostly gonna be a suburban person yammering about crystals and reiki and weed. They will not know what salat is (lol), they won't give zakat, if they are lucky they might be able to remember the name Ali but won't know why he is significant and definitely won't be able to trace their practices back to him.

But those white suburban people have more cultural power than the actual Sufi, so eventually their definition of Sufism becomes the norm and actual Sufism from cultures that practice it becomes the extreme minority. In some cases (like the examples from the Znamenski book), this eventually leads to suppression of the original cultural practices and re-introduction of the suburban version at a later time, robbing a group of their culture and then replacing it with the hippy version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

It's not necessarily about profit. The best way, I think, to really get a grasp on cultural appropriation is to check out the book "The Beauty of the Primitive: Shamanism in the Western Imagination" by Andrei Znamenski and see it in action.

Cultural appropriation also undercuts the ability of the people of that culture to self-define it. If you are in most countries, for example, and see a notice about a "Sufi" group, it's mostly gonna be a suburban person yammering about crystals and reiki and weed. They will not know what salat is (lol), they won't give zakat, if they are lucky they might be able to remember the name Ali but won't know why he is significant and definitely won't be able to trace their practices back to him.

But those white suburban people have more cultural power than the actual Sufi, so eventually their definition of Sufism becomes the norm and actual Sufism from cultures that practice it becomes the extreme minority. In some cases (like the examples from the Znamenski book), this eventually leads to suppression of the original cultural practices and re-introduction of the suburban version at a later time, robbing a group of their culture and then replacing it with the hippy version.

With the example of Sufism, does it though? Whether or not suburbanite Americans gently caress up the original meaning and concepts of Sufism it still exists within almost the entire Muslim world where its a much bigger and more influential thing than the western hippies with crystals interpretation. Alongside that the original meaning can still be upheld by Muslims in the western world, and indeed has, with or without the garbled westernized versions existing there too.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

refusing to challenge others and instead eat their poo poo isnt being respectful, its being a shameful domesticated animal

like if some asian dude sees my wicked kanji tattoo that totally says “honor” and tells me its racist cultural appropriation i probably would ignore him because its not worth the effort or hassle of engaging, not because he might have a point or because i owe him a god drat thing. of course if someone is being aggressive or persistent youll have to deal with them, but again, not because you have any obligation toward them

i think some people are confused about whats intrinsically the right thing to do versus whats good for social politeness and avoiding dealing with idiot bullshit, because they are not necessarily the same thing

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Wheeee posted:

refusing to challenge others and instead eat their poo poo isnt being respectful, its being a shameful domesticated animal

We are domesticated animals, though?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

yep

doesnt make it mentally healthy when combined with the power structures of modern liberal capitalism tho

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
probably this op:

https://twitter.com/MothershipSG/status/992654778097270784

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't like terms used for actual oppression, mostly done by people with lots of power and not people you meet every day, turned into a funny little bingo game for online people to use to score points and where action taken to challenge oppressors is irrelevant.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
so is there like a mediterranean D&D somewhere where a bunch of greeks and turks and levantines all argue about who's the most racist for stealing gyros/doners/shawarma from whoever or is this poo poo some uniquely american lib thing

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

ur in my world now posted:

so is there like a mediterranean D&D somewhere where a bunch of greeks and turks and levantines all argue about who's the most racist for stealing gyros/doners/shawarma from whoever or is this poo poo some uniquely american lib thing

people do that all over the world, except in other countries it's the crazed nationalists doing it

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

thats loving weird

Al they're stealing your art and selling it

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

hackbunny posted:

We are domesticated animals, though?
We are absolutely not domesticated animals.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
isn't the opposite of that fundamentalism driven by a rejection of the various syncretisms and custom-friendly rulings that make up religions?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

khwarezm posted:

With the example of Sufism, does it though? Whether or not suburbanite Americans gently caress up the original meaning and concepts of Sufism it still exists within almost the entire Muslim world where its a much bigger and more influential thing than the western hippies with crystals interpretation. Alongside that the original meaning can still be upheld by Muslims in the western world, and indeed has, with or without the garbled westernized versions existing there too.

The example is flawed because cultures don't have the right to define how other cultures perceive them.

Edit: and it should be obvious why that is.

The Kingfish has issued a correction as of 23:45 on May 13, 2018

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

The Kingfish posted:

We are absolutely not domesticated animals.

We are the domesticated animal

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

We're social animals but we haven't been domesticated.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

The Kingfish posted:

We're social animals but we haven't been domesticated.

:smugdon:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lastgirl posted:

thats loving weird

Al they're stealing your art and selling it

thats ok i culturally appropriated it from japan

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
domesticated animals are animals that have undergone 'artificial selection' according to its instrumental use to another organism, humans are not domesticated animals and won't be unless aliens land and starting controlling who gets to gently caress who

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I thought that this was all settled when that lady at college berated the white kid for wearing his hair a certain way on a viral video?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Wheeee posted:

like if some asian dude sees my wicked kanji tattoo that totally says “honor” and tells me its racist cultural appropriation i probably would ignore him because its not worth the effort or hassle of engaging, not because he might have a point or because i owe him a god drat thing. of course if someone is being aggressive or persistent youll have to deal with them, but again, not because you have any obligation toward them

i think some people are confused about whats intrinsically the right thing to do versus whats good for social politeness and avoiding dealing with idiot bullshit, because they are not necessarily the same thing

Post the tattoo

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

sunny side down, rear end up, 8 it? ;-*

scandalous!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
it's when youre the blonde kid on the left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz7DzheCeuQ

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 387 days!

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Tis a silly notion used to deprive people of agency and stratify them into buckets

Cultural appropriation is tribalism to its core

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Man Musk posted:

Tis a silly notion used to deprive people of agency and stratify them into buckets

Cultural appropriation is tribalism to its core

No bud its when corporations turn elements of marginalized cultures into intellectual property

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

No bud its when corporations turn elements of marginalized cultures into intellectual property

Kewl sounds like I can keep my dreads then

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

cultural appropriation isnt oppression!!!! real oppression is when black people laugh at me

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

kinda seeming like "cultural appropriation" is "neoliberalism" for a certain type of stuffy leftist/lib

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al! posted:

cultural appropriation isnt oppression!!!! real oppression is when black people laugh at me

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

kinda seeming like "cultural appropriation" is "neoliberalism" for a certain type of stuffy leftist/lib

a lot of ppl don't want to believe that they're as susceptible to resentment over loss of status as the chuds are

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

what does that have to do with cultural appropriation?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

i believe the implication is that socially enforcing certain behavior expectations with regard to the nebulous concept of cultural appropriation leads to a loss in status in the form of white people no longer being able to oppress minorities by wearing poo poo they think looks cool and so we are aggrieved

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

what does that have to do with cultural appropriation?

because ultimately it's about white people not being used to be told that certain aesthetic choices are not for them (when this is a daily fact of life for minorities), but also its kind of meaningless because at worst it's someone misapplying academic theory to attack someone's aesthetic choices and doesn't have any material impact beyond making a white guy feel bad about having dreads for a moment. i dont actually have any problem with cultural appropriation by individuals unless it's a corporation using it for marketing

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Man Musk posted:

Kewl sounds like I can keep my dreads then

If you smell bad Ill still judge you

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Al! posted:

because ultimately it's about white people not being used to be told that certain aesthetic choices are not for them (when this is a daily fact of life for minorities), but also its kind of meaningless because at worst it's someone misapplying academic theory to attack someone's aesthetic choices and doesn't have any material impact beyond making a white guy feel bad about having dreads for a moment. i dont actually have any problem with cultural appropriation by individuals unless it's a corporation using it for marketing

I think it might be mostly about liberals/leftists correctly rejecting the idea that certain aesthetic choices can be racially incorrect. And maybe also they are correctly intuiting that the whole concept is, in your words, "meaningless?"

The Kingfish has issued a correction as of 02:35 on May 16, 2018

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The entire concept of cultural appropriation is broke, and its telling that literally zero people have made rational or reasoned objections to the points against it I raised earlier, going instead for a lazy "well you see, the people who disagree with me are just motivated by aggrievement, therefore i don't have to defend my beliefs"

But if we are playing at that, if that's an acceptable response and not just self serving horseshit -- well, two can play at that game.

What motivates cultural appropriation outrage is the collective class guilt of liberals, who know that the system they benefit from is exploitative, but refuse to recognize its class character, and so it takes the form of attacking the easy target of 'white people', up to and including manufacturing outrage over irrelevant poo poo. Literally every culture on this earth copies from everyone else, as the latest azalea song about chun li shows. But only when white peoole do it does it take on this malicious undertone. The subtext of all of which is that everything white people do is automatically malicious, no matter how innocuous it seems. Its this bullshit double standard that lacks both consistency and clarity that is the absolute most toxic part of the left, and as long as it continues to have the stranglehold it does, the true emancipation of humanity is impossible, obly perpetual petty tribalist conflicts, where no one looks at the bigger picture or notices the common trends.

And by 'white people', i course don't mean rich liberals, who have the benefit of being rich enough to buy their way out of guilt and adopt all the correct rhetoric, perform the liberal shibboleths. No, they get to be 'citizens of the world' and excluded from all this. Those without money, or the training, or the the rhetoric, or indeed those without the honest to fod privileges of the coastal elite - they're the only ones who count, for some reason.

There, i call your "all my opponents only have bad motivations" and raise you "you represent the failure of the left". Show your hand.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 03:48 on May 16, 2018

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
oh, konnichiwa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Chun-Li is a Nikki Minaj song.

• Locked thread