Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnavox space odyssey
Jan 22, 2016
I'm European so I don't really have a grasp on this, so what is it? Can someone explain, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
I'm white, I'm not allow to.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

When you eat hamburgers or when an American eats like... Poutine I think. Don't do that.

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I'm gay

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012
You ever see The Nightmare Before Christmas? Its what Jack did, except if Halloween town had murdered most of Christmas town so Santa's not around to make everything right at the end and horror Christmas is just how everyone thinks its supposed to be.

magnavox space odyssey
Jan 22, 2016
Alright since you guys have been no help whatsoever I decided to look it up myself.

Wikipedia posted:

Cultural appropriation is a concept in sociology dealing with the adoption of the elements of a minority culture by members of the dominant culture. It is distinguished from equal cultural exchange due to the presence of a colonial element and imbalance of power. Cultural appropriation is often portrayed as harmful in contemporary cultures, and is claimed to be a violation of the collective intellectual property rights of the originating, minority cultures, notably indigenous cultures and those living under colonial rule. Often unavoidable when multiple cultures come together, cultural appropriation can include using other cultures' cultural and religious traditions, fashion, symbols, language, and songs.

Which is fairly interesting. Especially the drunken man picture.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If you want an example that's sufficiently removed from current cultural norms to extrapolate from I would advise you look up Chinoiserie.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
i fuckin' told u

magnavox space odyssey
Jan 22, 2016

Best Korea posted:

You ever see The Nightmare Before Christmas? Its what Jack did, except if Halloween town had murdered most of Christmas town so Santa's not around to make everything right at the end and horror Christmas is just how everyone thinks its supposed to be.

Tim Burton movies are cultural appropriation? This is troubling news.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If you want an example that's sufficiently removed from current cultural norms to extrapolate from I would advise you look up Chinoiserie.

Thank you. But I do have a question here: from what I skimmed on the wikipedia article on this it seems that Europeans who were interested in Chinoiserie did have some kind of reverence or respect for Chinese culture. In addition this didn't seem to stem from colonization or unequal power relations, but simply from hearing strange things from diplomats and merchants of a far-away land.

So it doesn't make sense to me how that could be seen as harmful or cultural appropriation. Can you elaborate, please?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it’s a bunch of new rules for Woke white people to subject themselves to but they’re all kinda made up and mostly arbitrary

like the white guy who started PF Chang’s butchered Chinese food and made a fortune is a pretty obvious example of wow that was pretty lovely and colonialist

and hey it’s pretty weird for white Americans to wear Native American religious garments as a fashion item or a joke considering they’re still living with the horrific effects of our genocide on them

but then you have hundreds of grown adults harassing a teenager for wanting to stand out for prom and boy that leaves a bad taste in people’s mouths

just try to be empathetic to people’s struggles and go with your gut

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

it’s a bunch of new rules for Woke white people to subject themselves to but they’re all kinda made up and mostly arbitrary

like the white guy who started PF Chang’s butchered Chinese food and made a fortune is a pretty obvious example of wow that was pretty lovely and colonialist

and hey it’s pretty weird for white Americans to wear Native American religious garments as a fashion item or a joke considering they’re still living with the horrific effects of our genocide on them

but then you have hundreds of grown adults harassing a teenager for wanting to stand out for prom and boy that leaves a bad taste in people’s mouths

basically: if someone has a dream catcher who cares

if someone dresses in religious garments and constantly obsesses over their 1/80th native ancestry then maybe step in

magnavox space odyssey
Jan 22, 2016

Taintrunner posted:

Thanks, that seems pretty much what I thought, but I am still interested in what people who do in fact support this concept think.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Cultural appropriation is rarely actually offensive.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

magnavox space odyssey posted:

Thanks, that seems pretty much what I thought, but I am still interested in what people who do in fact support this concept think.

I mean, I support it to a degree, but then you get into devout cultural appropriation believers, who think that white people shouldnt be allowed to make tacos at home because white Americans as a whole are racist against Mexicans

it’s the end-state of America’s individualism fetish as a replacement for actual politics and power building. your consumerism suddenly has power and consuming the wrong things empowers structural racism over people of color, and needs to be policed by complete strangers who answer to nobody much less themselves, and every infraction is an equal level of nightmarish crimes against humanity.

often these devout CA believers support milquetoast liberal politicians whose politics reinforce the power of the few rich white men who control the nation’s wealth, which really exposes just how fraudulent their entire understanding of politics is.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
it's when blues, jazz, and rap all became profitable rackets for white musicians jumping on the latest craze

it's when a white editor tells a Korean-American writer that the Korean main character isn't Korean enough

it's when a white guy puts a tiny sombrero on his dick and invites women to a "Mexican vacation" in his bedroom

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it’s when a white editor makes up a fake Japanese comics writer in order to publish a ninja Wolverine: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/12/the-secret-identity-of-marvel-comics-editor/547829/

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z04S3wowUSo

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
its dumb, op

people who believe in cultural appropriation believe that culture is static and has owners, that groups of people are monolithic and homogenous in belief

consider this: nerds. they were an oppressed minority subject to derision, violence, and ostracisation, frequently identified and judged only by appearance. even mainstream cultural touchstones like the film and television industry perpetuated the status quo and played a role in their continued subjugation as social outcasts. they're right to be upset that the things they were tortured over are now considered "cool" and are being flaunted by the very people who hurt them. people died for those beliefs. real blood, sweat and tears were shed on behalf of their beliefs and their culture.

but no one cares, because its stupid. cultures change. languages die. its not good OR bad. it just is what it is. you can't freeze the world

at its darkest, cultural appropriation is equivocal to cultural preservation: forced segregation, no interfaith/racial marriages etc.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

yeah pretty much.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
It's one of the latest things to come out of Academia and be used by the general American public who totally understand it and use it appropriately. It's basically turning societal trends into intellectual property segregated along ethnic lines. It has the appearance of being a good thing while also being heavily rooted in and cementing capitalist ideals of property and is thus woke as gently caress.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Futuresight posted:

It's one of the latest things to come out of Academia and be used by the general American public who totally understand it and use it appropriately. It's basically turning societal trends into intellectual property segregated along ethnic lines. It has the appearance of being a good thing while also being heavily rooted in and cementing capitalist ideals of property and is thus woke as gently caress.

i like this summery

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Yeah this covers about half of it.
Basically I see it as an issue where one larger culture in a country can all too easily clumsily smother and step on a smaller vulnerable one.
In the US there's two particular cases of this that cover both types.
1. You got black culture, which all too easily has time and time again been coopted and in some ways kinda stolen, namely with music. And because of the way our society is this means recognition and respect to the creators of these sort of things is absent generally. Also with black stuff there's the huge historical legacy of blackface type stuff, of racist parody. Which is easy to even accidentally do judging by how much it still happens. There's a context here basically.

There's obviously ways for outsiders to the culture to participate, but that takes care and genuine interest in the thing for what it is. Not just rushing in, rushing out with stuff, and practically mimicking it.
There's a reason why Eminem and the Beastie Boys never got poo poo from the rap community (quite the opposite), while Vanilla Ice did.

2. Stuff like native culture which is barely holding on as is, and people commodifying and simplifying it on the regular has a really bad taste to it.

I don't think this extends though to stuff like... wearing a traditional chinese dress to prom. Because I'm not really sure any of the above at all applies to like 1920's urban Chinese flapper clothing. At worst something like that could hypothetically get into the blackface type of thing, but it would be harder to do. Especially with a dress.

I think generally the concept mostly applies to native minority cultures vs the majority one. Not to cultures from the other side of the world.

Grape has issued a correction as of 21:09 on May 10, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It's called me going to chili's for 5 dollars margaritas after work op

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
A politician pretending to be a furry or like a video game in order to appeal to those people who formed their identities around being a furry or liking said video game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYJwnCsMBfo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
culture appropriation is what culture can be appropriate for you OP, you just kinda look through whatever culture you like, like a catalogue and just go with it, since it is appropriate for you

hope this helps! :thumbsup:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIFWXXaEEjY

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
*wearing a kickass sarong in front of a group of girls* More like COOLtural aBROpriation amirite ladies :cool: :heysexy:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/MorganFogarty/status/994693336639442945

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

how come nobody complains when dogs appropriate white culture!?!??!?!?!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjCSK0oOlI

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0X3CLJVMJU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPC9erC5WqU