Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

got any sevens posted:

I just watched Godmonster of Indian Flats last night and it has a black guy waving a loaded gun around a crowd of white people and nobody bats an eye

Suspension of disbelief ruined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Colonel Whitey posted:

Suspension of disbelief ruined

Yeah it was fun to watch, the audience cracked a couple jokes during it :)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I always enjoyed how chillax Billy was with dealing with time travel-- it even gets a mention by Bill & Ted.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Billy should have been filled with lead after discharging his weapon in a crowded mall

He discharged it in a crowded school auditorium later on. I seriously doubt they’d let him do that if the movie were remade today.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The historical figured from 1 should have cameoed in heaven in 2

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I just found out about the new movie.

Most non-non-non heinous! Also add me to the list of people who use the Circle K line habitually. God I love these movies.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

Billy should have been filled with lead after discharging his weapon in a crowded mall

Try watching Heathers

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Fart City posted:

All valid questions for a movie where Napoleon goes to a water park.

Napoleon doesn't just go to a water park. He goes to a water park named Waterloo. I didn't pick up on this until I watched it again a few months ago.

The running Missy gag is the funniest thing in the whole movie, and another example of something that would never be allowed in a movie today.

As much as I love the first movie, I've only seen the second one once. I thought it was fine but the only thing I remember were the hilariously bad future outfits. Like duct tape and Styrofoam bad.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

Napoleon doesn't just go to a water park. He goes to a water park named Waterloo. I didn't pick up on this until I watched it again a few months ago.

I still love the way he says 'Avec...waterslides.' in his new plan to invade Europe.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Am I the only one who thinks that the real plan wasn't to ensure Bill and Ted pass their history exam, but simply to put them in proximity to so many prominent historical figures at once? I mean, it becomes much easier to base a future utopia on B&T when Socrates, Freud and Lincoln return to their respective points in history believing in Bill and Ted, right? Joan of Arc is going to bring leg warmers and Jazzercize back to France. Beethoven ends up loving Bon Jovi. The future people knew what they were doing - they seeded their culture throughout human history with the history report merely being the pretext.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bill and Ted's time travel mechanic precludes the existence of multiple timelines. Closed causal loops are possible and the results of events can be witnessed before those events happen.

History did not change as a result of Bill and Ted because in the Bill and Ted world, you can't change history. You can only cause events to transpire as they already did.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

LividLiquid posted:

Bill and Ted's time travel mechanic precludes the existence of multiple timelines. Closed causal loops are possible and the results of events can be witnessed before those events happen.

History did not change as a result of Bill and Ted because in the Bill and Ted world, you can't change history. You can only cause events to transpire as they already did.

This is why it is the best time travel movie to date.

Closed causality is hard to write for, as everything is per-ordained and therefore no matter what the heroes do they will always make for the pre-existing ending even if they do nothing. The best way to write around this is to not acknowledge it explicitly, and let the characters realize it, like with Ted's dad's keys.

It also means that all of the people they pulled out of history know that they're historically famous enough to be in a history report and went back to their own times and finishing their own lives knowing about late 1980's San Dimas. That's the even crazier part.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
So, the next film is going to be Bill and Ted trying to make a legit causal break, only to find all of their hijinks were meant to happen?

"Hey Bill, I'm gonna go back in time and have sex with your mom!"

"Oh yeah? Well, I'm gonna go back in time too and have sex with YOUR mom!"

*returns to their current time, only to find each of their moms knew that already, joking about it over some coffee*

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jeeves posted:

This is why it is the best time travel movie to date.

Closed causality is hard to write for, as everything is per-ordained
This is a huge sticking point for me whenever I have this discussion, but nothing is pre-ordained. You can just see the results of your choices before you make them. You still have free will. If you made different choices, you'd see different effects before making those choices, and while seeing those effects can influence your decision making, your will is still yours.

But we're gonna' have a Terminator 1/Terminator 2 split comin' up here, if the third movie is about what they're saying it's about, so Bill and Ted's time travel will be canonically confused like Terminator's is, playing by different rules in different movies.

It's the Back to the Future paradox. Sometimes Marty's actions bring about the present that he came from, and sometimes he can change the past to affect the future. This kind of inconsistency only matters to sticklers like me, but still.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LividLiquid posted:

see, this doesn't quite bear out, because otherwise there's no deliberate reason for Rufus to go bother them except that he had already done so. also, y'know, they explicitly pull the princesses out of the timestream so they can date Bill and Ted.

i think the phone booth Bill and Ted use works that way, definitely, but Rufus seems to have access to more powerful forms of time travel than what he gives them.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Wanna have a weird thought that seems crazy?

If everything was pre-ordained, then Rufus spent his entire life knowing that HE was THE Rufus that would save the band and cause the utopia that he was born in. He knew this all of his life. It was pre-ordained since he was born.

The movie never goes into that, but pre-destination is definitely what the movie shows. Ted always did steal his dad's keys, even if he thought to do it only towards the end of the film. It's what makes Bill & Ted one of the best time travel movies-- not stupid hand disappearing as a plot device-- everything was pre-ordained. The main characters were just too much of both too dumb and too living in the moment to realize it.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

jeeves posted:

If everything was pre-ordained, then Rufus spent his entire life knowing that HE was THE Rufus that would save the band and cause the utopia that he was born in. He knew this all of his life. It was pre-ordained since he was born.
Not necessarily. He might only have found out right before being sent, having previously assumed he was just named after that Rufus. Predestination doesn't necessarily mean foreknowledge!

Though if there were pictures of the famous Rufus he probably started to suspect when his beard came it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
“Holy poo poo, I’m either famous 20th century comedian George Carlin, or I’m THE Rufus”

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Rufus was pretty unflappable so I always assumed he knew the whole time. Makes his job all the easier really.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The real mindfuck is wondering what marty's parents thought as he was born/growing up after his time looping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

got any sevens posted:

The real mindfuck is wondering what marty's parents thought as he was born/growing up after his time looping.

This is why Old Biff has a drinking problem.

• Locked thread