Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yes it is

discuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
It's not the perfect movie, it's only a perfect movie, because Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey is also a perfect movie.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Station.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

its pretty good

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Be excellent to each other.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

No, because Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey is better.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
It's literally the best movie ever made

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Bogus Journey is somehow even better. Possibly the ultimate double feature as they are two of the greatest movies ever made.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

On the seventeenth of February.. nineteen hundred and eighty nine...magic happened. A film was born that would rival the works of Leonardo da Vinci.. or Michelangelo. The tools to create this masterpiece would not be brush, nor chisel, nor palette. The tools would be Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves. So please.. a moment of silence for the greatest film ever to have graced this Earth, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tom Gorman posted:

On the seventeenth of February.. nineteen hundred and eighty nine...magic happened. A film was born that would rival the works of Leonardo da Vinci.. or Michelangelo. The tools to create this masterpiece would not be brush, nor chisel, nor palette. The tools would be Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves. So please.. a moment of silence for the greatest film ever to have graced this Earth, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

This but unironically

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

Can we talk about how Bill and Ted are the only successful time travelers? They accomplished the exact goal they set out to do, caused no major time distoritions and even figured out how to make stable paradox loops on one try.

The Doctor's been at it for millions of years and still fucks everything up constantly. Bill and Ted got their poo poo together in an afternoon.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MixMastaTJ posted:

Can we talk about how Bill and Ted are the only successful time travelers?

Given the plot of the next movie, I don't know about that.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I've never seen them but now I will.

That's me story.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

Bogus Journey is somehow even better. Possibly the ultimate double feature as they are two of the greatest movies ever made.

Bogus Journey rips because it actually manages to take the universe established in the first film and make it more insane, and I will always love it for its sheer ballsiness. I mean time travel is downright tame compared to where the second movie goes.

"Hey, you remember those two dudes from that first movie? Well now they're gonna get killed by robot duplicates and travel to the afterlife where they beat up a family and steal their clothes to get into heaven, and it turns out the smartest mind in heaven are two nude troll aliens who smash together and become a giant troll alien.

Also the Grim Reaper plays stand-up bass.

You're welcome."

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

This movie totally owns.

*the boys talking to their future selves*
Keanu: if you guys are really us, what number are we thinking of?
Future B&T: Sixty-nine, dudes!

B: We gotta go, dude. This is a history report, not a babe report.
T: But Bill, those are historical babes.

Medieval king: put them in an Iron Maiden
B&T: Iron Maiden?! *air guitar*

E: This movie gets five bags of popcorn for sure.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 14, 2018

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
What's great about them is that though the main characters are ostensibly empty-headed dunces(albeit very charming and without malice), the writing isn't dumb at all. And the way they reason their way out of binds is clever. Like in the first one where they actually use time travel cleverly to make their escape from jail- "I guess it was me who stole my dad's keys!"

And the consistency of their speech, especially the way they constantly address each other by their names, is a hallmark of good writing and total understanding of the characters. And even though the world around them attempts to bring them down and do them harm, they never return the same. Their solution and final dream is for dudes to just be cool to each other. They don't want to hurt anyone, they want everyone to be happy. It's a refreshing sort of comedy, and I think the world is better for it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
you see, we used to be pussweeds, but now we're metal

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I don't know why it's gotta be one or the other, Excellent Adventure and Bogus Journey are two completely different movies, both equally amazing in totally different ways.

The real truth yall fail to recognize is that Freaked is better than both of them combined.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i really like bogus journey more, but they're both excellent

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
That part where they hug each other and then call each other fags has aged really poorly. That might be the only thing keeping it from perfection.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The Twinkie Czar posted:

That part where they hug each other and then call each other fags has aged really poorly. That might be the only thing keeping it from perfection.

They seem too innocuous to call eacother that. They also need to be shown smoking weed. Bill and Ted are undoubtedly massive potheads.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

B+T1 is a complete time capsule of 1988. I don't think it really has to age well.
and I'm sure even back then the no homo hug thing was intended to show their idiocy.

sponges posted:

Bill and Ted are undoubtedly massive potheads.

Nuh uh :colbert:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I know right? Just give us that happy ending, admit your feelings bros. Buds and babes don't have to be mutually exclusive. As is, it's just a bittersweet tragedy. Like the Godfather, if the Godfather was almost the perfect movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

I don't know why it's gotta be one or the other, Excellent Adventure and Bogus Journey are two completely different movies, both equally amazing in totally different ways.

The real truth yall fail to recognize is that Freaked is better than both of them combined.

Freaked loving owns but, God gave rock and roll to me so...

Actually I think he may have gave it to everyone to be honest.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Dead Bill: Hey, you wanna play 20 questions?

Dead Ted: Okay! I got one!

Dead Bill: Are you a mineral?

Dead Ted: Yeah!

Dead Bill: Are you a tank?

Dead Ted: Whoa! Yeah

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Teenage Fansub posted:

B+T1 is a complete time capsule of 1988. I don't think it really has to age well.
and I'm sure even back then the no homo hug thing was intended to show their idiocy.

Nah, it was the 80s, the decade was absolutely littered with causal homophobia. It doesn’t fit in with the rest of their characters, which is all about tolerance and having a good time with everyone. The only reason it’s in the movie is because that sort of language was more acceptable in the 80s, and hopefully we as a society have moved past that point. It’s an offensive line, and the one blemish on an otherwise excellent movie.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Don't know about perfect (there's the slur people have mentioned) but it is most excellent.
The Evan Dorkin adaptation IS the perfect comic adaptation to a movie, though. Same with the comic series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I read the Bogus Journey comic first and I remember being bummed that Hell in the movie didn't quite match his version.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Maybe in the new one, when they meet on-screen again for the first time, they'll call each other fags tenderly, then embrace with a kiss.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
They better bring back everyone else who is alive, like they better not recast their wives.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember I got my high school world history teacher to screen it for us because I kept calling him So-Crates like in the movie.

Bill and Ted takes place in California but was filmed around the Phoenix area. The interior mall scenes were filmed in Metrocenter Mall, the same mall they filmed for the skatepark in Jackass The Movie. That skatepark eventually turned into a Sports Challet and now it's a no-name furniture store. Metrocenter Mall isn't doing very well these days.

They filmed exterior shots in front of Paradise Valley Mall. That mall is doing somewhat better, but it's not great. Those scenes apparently didn't make it into the movie? I don't remember.

A friend of mine was an extra in the audience in the scene where they do their speech report. But he was just cut off from the view of the camera.

I need to watch all of Bogus Journey. It's a wild movie that I never finished because the DVD we rented was too scratched up.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
SANDIMASHIGHSCHOOLFOOTBALLRULES

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Watched this last night with my 14yo son. When it was done he said it was a great movie and that B&T were the most successful time travelers ever. He loved it.

PS you guys can watch this movie free on Prime Streaming if you have Amazon Prime.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So here's Ed Solomon's story for Bill and Ted Face the Music:

quote:

Bill and Ted were told at 16 that they were going to be the greatest people who ever lived. That they were gonna write a song that is going to save the world, and it hasn’t happened. And now they are middle-aged men. They’ve got wives who used to be princesses in medieval England who are now working double shifts at Denny’s, they’ve got teenagers that are about to leave home, money is tight, and they’ve been chasing this dream, writing song after song, when somebody from the future shows up and says, “You have 24 hours. The fate of all of space/time depends on it – and if it doesn’t happen now, it’s never gonna happen.” Bill and Ted are confused because they know they had to have written it, because after all the people in the future told them they did.. so they just must not have written it yet. So in their desperation they decide their only option is to go into the future – to when the have written it – and to steal it from themselves. What follows is a kind of utterly absurd, Christmas Carol-like journey through their lives past, present, and future. Their daughters (Bill has a daughter named Thea, Ted’s daughter is named Billie) are also very involved in trying to help them.

It’s a total comedy, but I think it’s really, really grounded in the sweetness that is Bill and Ted and the emotion of where they would be at this point in their life.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
“Bill has a daughter named Thea, Ted’s daughter is named Billie” holy poo poo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
they named their kids after each other holy gently caress

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What kind of school has History project presentations in front of the whole student body and staff? Who did Bill and Ted’s lighting? How late did the entire student body stay after school for B&T’s presentation? None of them had a bus to catch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What kind of school has History project presentations in front of the whole student body and staff? Who did Bill and Ted’s lighting? How late did the entire student body stay after school for B&T’s presentation? None of them had a bus to catch?

All valid questions for a movie where Napoleon goes to a water park.

• Locked thread