Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

...and the pitch! posted:

So what? You don't have to be an expert murderer to think murder should be against the law.

Murder isn't already against the law? drat, guess we should ban murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

What? How many per capita is that and why is this something anyone should care about?

all of the capitas per u child hating son of a bitcvh

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Murder isn't already against the law? drat, guess we should ban murder.

Willfully obtuse huh? To each his own I guess.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

No kidding. The fact that I knew the phrase didn't clue you in to the fact that I knew that? It happens every day nonetheless. Seems like maybe that law isn't good enough or well enough enforced.

You are close to getting to the root of the problem. But you will ignore it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh man. Teach me guru. Show me.

Or get off the pot.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hm, I'm not sure I trust the wisdom of someone who ate poo poo on live tv.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ripped Dick Cheney is here to teach us.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Oh man. Teach me guru. Show me.

Or get off the pot.

American gun laws already exist to stop straw purchases etc, however the federal agency in charge of enforcing them is both underfunded, and also wants to spend time selling guns to cross border gangs for photo-ops. This could be easily addressed by the president and his cabinet setting their priorities, but for some reason Democratic presidents don't really want to address this problem, opting instead to cry and rub their hands and stare into the camera to let everyone know how incompetent they are.

It's comical in a way, it's a super easy problem to address but it's just not sexy. No one cares if fewer people die, they much prefer the majority of deaths to be ignored so that every few months they can get a sound byte. poo poo posters in gun threads are the same way.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why do we have concealed carry laws if someone has a gun theyre just going to concealed carry anyway stupid liberals

if they don't have a gun they'll get one and then concealed carry

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

OK. So we agree that they aren't well enough enforced, which I already said. DNC presidents are too scared of the NRA to actually enforce the laws but I don't think the straw purchase laws (which you already quoted me knowing about) are actually enough. I'm not poo poo posting. People are getting name brand guns and they aren't getting them all from burglary.

It seems like we mostly agree.

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
I welcome a full gun ban and the ensuing civil war. :hellyeah:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NightshadeGenitals posted:

I welcome a full gun ban and the ensuing civil war. :hellyeah:
hahaha, yeah civil war.

yessir, dem rednecks'll come fer duh gubment fer shore :bahgawd:

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They'll try. Ruby Ridge and Waco and Malheur were just the same people under different names and banners. It'll probably end similarly. But maybe at the cost of more lives.

Clyfe
Mar 21, 2013
The US constitution is poo poo-rag flawed. Amend it and repeal this antiquated 2nd amendment bullshit. Also, throw in some bits about mandatory Hawaiian shirt Friday.

Clyfe fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 19, 2018

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Wasn’t the second amendment proposed to defend ourselves against the British? Do you guys even have guns over there? Are you planning to attack us? Christ it’s been like 250 years! Get over it!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Moridin920 posted:

i just read a news story about a pistol that was bought in a buy back program and then a few years later the cops murdered someone and dropped the pistol by the corpse and said "see? he had a gun!"

hahahaha

Clyfe
Mar 21, 2013

Robokomodo posted:

Wasn’t the second amendment proposed to defend ourselves against the British? Do you guys even have guns over there? Are you planning to attack us? Christ it’s been like 250 years! Get over it!

Make America Great Britain Again. Oh wait, not really, unless you bring back naval impressment, rum rations, and sodomy. :getin:

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Introduce lazers already and all these lovely analog acoustic version unplugged guns will be irrelevant.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wanted By Weed posted:

They'll try. Ruby Ridge and Waco and Malheur were just the same people under different names and banners. It'll probably end similarly. But maybe at the cost of more lives.
No they won't. Not until they get tired of watching reruns of Sons of Anarchy and Blue Collar Comedy Tour

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 19, 2018

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congress could start doing gun buybacks and ban sales of ammunition and firearms tomorrow and folks would talk about revolution until the next news cycle

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Ahh but what you are forgetting is that the USA is the largest exporter of small-arms in the world. Once it is no longer legal to manufacture semi-automatic guns in the US, that will drastically reduce the number of semi-automatic guns on the black market world wide.

Beretta, Glock, H&K, Sig Arms, and Walther. All semi-automatics manufactured outside the US. We can't stop illegal immigrants, drugs, or counterfeit goods made in other countries from getting into the US. What makes you think we'll be any more successful stopping illegal guns?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MightyJoe36 posted:

Beretta, Glock, H&K, Sig Arms, and Walther.

Tennessee, Georgia, Georgia, New Hampshire, and Arkansas. Respectively.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

guns don't create criminals lol

fix our shithouse economy/country and suddenly the 80-90% of gun homicides that are the direct result of conditions caused by the war on drugs will vanish

That doesn't interest the Democrats, though, they'd rather spin this dumb wheel forevermore knowing nothing will happen but they get support from their base for it.

This is actually the dumbest argument because it's not like other countries don't have violence and crime. Netherlands, Sweden, and UK have higher levels of violence and crime than the US does, but our level of lethal violence is higher than any other country in the world. For example, New York City and London have similar levels of violent crime, yet you are 54 times more likely to die from crime in New York. Why do you think that is? It's because we have 88 guns per 100 people, which is obscenely hosed up! The US owns more guns than Yemen (54 guns per 100 people), a barely stable state in perpetual civil war!

Literally the one and only reason why we have such an insane degree of gun violence in is because we have so many guns. That's it. Sure, banning certain types of guns, having universal, comprehensive background checks, etc are fine, but the problem won't go away until we, as a country, realize that our gun culture is hosed up as hell. We need to stop manufacturing so many goddamn guns. We need to ban and have mandatory gun buyback programs for shotguns and semiautomatic rifles like Australia had in the 90s after the Port Arthur massacre. We need to maybe give a poo poo about the men, women, children, and everyone who is dying from gun violence everywhere in America because guns somehow matter more than human lives. This should be obvious, but it isn't because Americans are garbage assholes.

Guns don't create criminals but it's naive and foolish to believe we can ever eliminate crime. But we can eliminate gun violence if we actually try to do it.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 19, 2018

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

If you try to take guns away americans arms will keep holding onto them but extend stretch armstrong style indefinitely

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

blugu64 posted:

Tennessee, Georgia, Georgia, New Hampshire, and Arkansas. Respectively.

Not all of them.

In fact MOST police issued Glocks are still from Austria and are currently flooding the used firearm market as Police replace their sidearms.

Not all of Sig's firearms are US made either, about 80% are... but that still means 20% are made outside the US.

the same can be said of Barretta and Walther. Some are US made some are not.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ripped Dick Cheney is here to teach us.

That's Bernie you moran

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

That's Bernie you moran

Maybe I am a racist after all

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This is actually the dumbest argument because it's not like other countries don't have violence and crime. Netherlands, Sweden, and UK have higher levels of violence and crime than the US does, but our level of lethal violence is higher than any other country in the world. For example, New York City and London have similar levels of violent crime, yet you are 54 times more likely to die from crime in New York. Why do you think that is? It's because we have 88 guns per 100 people, which is obscenely hosed up! The US owns more guns than Yemen (54 guns per 100 people), a barely stable state in perpetual civil war!

You, uh, might want to check your facts on that one (and I’m not talking about the “London has more homicides than New York in 2018” thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

LGD posted:

You, uh, might want to check your facts on that one (and I’m not talking about the “London has more homicides than New York in 2018” thing)

They’ve banned spoons in London now the flatware related violence is so bad

• Locked thread