Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

BoneMonkey posted:

And one know how to make two cool look flame throwers to poke out of the sidewindows?

This is my go-to. You'll need plastic rods or tubes (available from your local hobby store, usually sold in packs) and some paperclips with the plastic sheathing around them.

My local hobby store sells plastic tubes and rods either in packs of all one size or as a "mixed bag" of various sizes which is quite nice. If you can't get them from your LGS and don't mind buying online, I suggest the Evergreen Scale Models Rod and Tube Assortment which gives you a fair bit to play with for pretty cheap.

You'll need two sizes of tube to make a flamethrower, and (part of) one paperclip. That assortment pack comes with 2 tubes of the perfect size.

Find a small tube, and a slightly larger tube. They won't (quite) fit inside one another, but they'll be close. Cut a length of the smaller tube to your preferred length (an inch or so is probably plenty), and then cut about half that length of the longer tube and a single small ring. Carefully slit the larger tube on one side (be careful not to cut it in half!) so that you can force the smaller tube inside it. This will create a channel conveniently just about the width of a paperclip.

Straighten your paperclip then cut a length of it slightly longer than your longest tube. It's OK if one end curls upwards (in fact, it's ideal if it does). It's also OK if it's not straight or looks beaten up, that's just part of the aesthetic.

Carefully trim the plastic casing from a portion of the paperclip, but leave most of it intact and glue it in place. It should extend past the end of the barrel with a little curvy stripped portion at the end that curves upwards. This is your 'igniter,' the thing that makes the flamethrower shoot fire rather than just spraying fuel everywhere.

The final piece will look something like this (after painting, of course):

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

That loving OWNS.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is my go-to. You'll need plastic rods or tubes (available from your local hobby store, usually sold in packs) and some paperclips with the plastic sheathing around them.

My local hobby store sells plastic tubes and rods either in packs of all one size or as a "mixed bag" of various sizes which is quite nice. If you can't get them from your LGS and don't mind buying online, I suggest the Evergreen Scale Models Rod and Tube Assortment which gives you a fair bit to play with for pretty cheap.

You'll need two sizes of tube to make a flamethrower, and (part of) one paperclip. That assortment pack comes with 2 tubes of the perfect size.

Find a small tube, and a slightly larger tube. They won't (quite) fit inside one another, but they'll be close. Cut a length of the smaller tube to your preferred length (an inch or so is probably plenty), and then cut about half that length of the longer tube and a single small ring. Carefully slit the larger tube on one side (be careful not to cut it in half!) so that you can force the smaller tube inside it. This will create a channel conveniently just about the width of a paperclip.

Straighten your paperclip then cut a length of it slightly longer than your longest tube. It's OK if one end curls upwards (in fact, it's ideal if it does). It's also OK if it's not straight or looks beaten up, that's just part of the aesthetic.

Carefully trim the plastic casing from a portion of the paperclip, but leave most of it intact and glue it in place. It should extend past the end of the barrel with a little curvy stripped portion at the end that curves upwards. This is your 'igniter,' the thing that makes the flamethrower shoot fire rather than just spraying fuel everywhere.

This is a great tutorial, thank you!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
If I am introducing a bunch of people to the game, what is a good starting list?

My view was a car with a turret MG and a buggy with a forward MG - is 25 cans, doesn't have two much firepower so less likely to be an elimination, but has two cars so that can be survived.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

If I am introducing a bunch of people to the game, what is a good starting list?

My view was a car with a turret MG and a buggy with a forward MG - is 25 cans, doesn't have two much firepower so less likely to be an elimination, but has two cars so that can be survived.

That kinda list works well for the basics. Everyone has the same gear, so it’s easy to explain the basics (shifting and hazards, turn order, shooting arcs) without getting totally overwhelming.

I’ve had the most success with a basic run-through in a Death Race, followed by Capture the Flag using a few different vehicle types and weapons to introduce variety and show off the non-racing gameplay.

My Capture the Flag lists tend to be:
2 Bikes with Front Rams and Smoke (20)
1 Buggy with Front-Mounted Mortar (9)
1 Performance Car with Rear-Mounted Flamethrower (21)

It introduces some major concepts (Line-of-sight tricks with the mortar, dropped templates with Smoke, Template weapons in general, Rams and their uses, and how to use facing offensively/defensively), plus everything goes so drat fast that it usually ends up pretty hectic. It’s also a lesson in managing multiple vehicles with different roles, though it’s probably in need of some tweaking as far as lists go.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

I love how much this game and its community encourage MacGuyvering cool poo poo out of stuff you have lying around the house.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Apparently I am terrible at searching the forums and so I made a Gaslands thread when this one already existed.

Any interest in using my content for the OP of this thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3873025

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Indolent Bastard posted:

Apparently I am terrible at searching the forums and so I made a Gaslands thread when this one already existed.

Any interest in using my content for the OP of this thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3873025

Hey, seconding this - it was jarring to come in here and see half of the first page being full of kind of negative talk before realizing that they were talking about a different game entirely.

• Locked thread