Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoldFrankensteinMir

So glad people who know what they're doing are on the technical aspects of this project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

So glad people who know what they're doing are on the technical aspects of this project.

hahaha... :ohdear:

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
MockingQuantum

The best kept secret of the technical side of games is that almost nobody actually knows what they're doing, even pretty experienced programmers and developers are just trying things until they find what works

I say that not as a criticism of the ability of game developers, I know so many who are incredibly talented etc, but more to encourage anybody to try their hand at the technical stuff, even if you have little to no experience at it.

thank you luvcow for the sig

BoldFrankensteinMir

I tried to build a raspberry pi and ended up with what looked like a Borg threw up in a collander, but yes, everyone else please do not be afraid to try techie stuff, you might surprise yourself.

sb hermit

mister magpie posted:

downloading it right now. im a humanities major with a comp sci minor so i can't make any guarantees to the usefulness of my assistance

looks like it has a bunch of demos... I’m gonna check it out too

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

MockingQuantum posted:

The best kept secret of the technical side of games is that almost nobody actually knows what they're doing, even pretty experienced programmers and developers are just trying things until they find what works
Oh yeah that's definitely how I program. I'm most at home when everything is a bug and my code is on fire and I want to fling my laptop off a cliff.

el dorito posted:

looks like it has a bunch of demos... I’m gonna check it out too
Great!

I'm not actually sure if it's the best engine for this project, but it has the advantage that I'm already familiar with it.

I think the most byob game engine is probably love2d (based on its sugary-sweet branding)

Monkey-X is popular as well

A lot of people recommend unity for indie 2D games but I never saw the point of using a behemoth 3D engine to try to make a simple 2D game

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

MockingQuantum

blaise rascal posted:

Oh yeah that's definitely how I program. I'm most at home when everything is a bug and my code is on fire and I want to fling my laptop off a cliff.

Great!

I'm not actually sure if it's the best engine for this project, but it has the advantage that I'm already familiar with it.

I think the most byob game engine is probably love2d (based on its sugary-sweet branding)

Monkey-X is popular as well

A lot of people recommend unity for indie 2D games but I never saw the point of using a behemoth 3D engine to try to make a simple 2D game

love2d also has the advantage that it uses lua for scripting, which is named after the portuguese word for "moon", which also seems pretty byob tbh

thank you luvcow for the sig

blaise rascal

Okay, I put the whole game into a dropbox folder. It looks like I can only share editing access to people if I know their email addresses. So, you can pm me your email address if you want to be able to edit the code & assets. Of course, you can also just pm stuff to me instead, or post it in this thread.

Anyway here's a new demo, now with collision so you can't fly out of the viewing window, as well as with an "enemy" you can rain on.

http://www.fastswf.com/G14oHz0 (I accidentally uploaded a debug version so it might be slower)

I kind of think the top-down option may bear fruit, so I want to try making a demo for that next. It will probably be the last demo. Then we can pick which option we like best and plow ahead with making the game.

I've had some more time to reflect, and I am becoming much more optimistic about the gameplay possibilities for this game. Cda's suggestions helped, as well as a few of my own ideas. Really, I think that, "when in doubt, just do what katamari damacy did," may be a killer design mantra here. I envision a 2D world that you navigate, and try to make as correct as possible in a certain time window, with some amount of things that make aiming challenging, as well as some amount of things that make movement challenging.

City of Glompton

love it. i just rained on a cat! :twisted:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

blaise rascal

Okay bear with me for a second

What if, like, instead of a single static sprite, the player character was a group of white circles loosely held together

http://www.fastswf.com/tO-tGp0

Okay THAT will be the last thing I do before the top down demo and then we'll make the game

blaise rascal

Well, like I said originally in the chat thread, I am going to be really busy here for like 3 weeks, but after that I'll give this project more time.

I'm trying to set up source control so mistermagpie and el dorito can help with the code.

As always, people are welcome to contribute more content or spitball ideas. I'll try my darnedest to put every asset that you all create into the game.

DavidAlltheTime

All David...all the TIME!
Sounds good, BR. I'm ready to make an art once I get a sense of the vibe of the game, beyond your kickin' rad demos. I like the new cloud, btw :)

cda

by Hand Knit

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Sounds good, BR. I'm ready to make an art once I get a sense of the vibe of the game, beyond your kickin' rad demos. I like the new cloud, btw :)

If I had to guess, the vibe is floaty, cutesy, uhhh dippy.

phantump21

Just a tree stump ghost.
You could sprite in a Phantump for the PC to deal with. :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

DavidAlltheTime, I agree that it's tough to make art when you don't yet know the visual design of the game. Because the visual design may be constricted by the game's core mechanics, it'd be nice to nail down those mechanics and then come up with a kind of an "art style guide" so that artists will know how to make their art fit well with the rest of the visuals.

• Locked thread