Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BigFactory posted:

I was listening to the Grateful Dead channel like a month ago and I caught a show in the middle of drums and I was about to turn it off but then Brent started scatting and playing the worst synth patches and it was almost impossible to stop listening to it. It was so bad that I wondered how they let it go on for 12 or 15 minutes, but the rest of the band must’ve been offstage and not listening.

They were off stage doing drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cosmik Slop posted:

Black Keys are one of the worst acts currently going. They are the musical equivalent of tap water with pepper in it.

lol co-signed

BigFactory posted:

Terrapin Station came out in 77. Don’t know any of those other records but it must have been a great year.

So either a boomer, or a child raised in the wild by nothing but boomers for 18 years.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ardemia posted:

lol @ drinking kombucha and lol @ using people you find distasteful for drug connects

I've had very few 'tasteful' connects or dealers. For the most part its a business relationship, but hippies also require you be in their loving social group or whatever which became clear the second my sis realized she had been duped into slurping down kombucha juice

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I always got psychedelics from bikers or club kids. I guess it does make sense that filthy hippies would have the good acid, though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Grape posted:

So either a boomer, or a child raised in the wild by nothing but boomers for 18 years.

Diagram that sentence.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BigFactory posted:

Diagram that sentence.

def a boomer

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Listening to Lust for Life after a lifetime of white country blues bootlegs would actually probably kill someone

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have NRBQ tapes to trade if anyone wants in

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Judas Priest is much better than any of these trash rock bands.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ya priest has good tunes. Not as good as moe. though.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

CheesyDog posted:

Listening to Lust for Life after a lifetime of white country blues bootlegs would actually probably kill someone

An actual musical tempo of note might kill him, but I'm just as concerned about all the synthesizers and dub production of that era terrifying him into some kind of Korean war flashback.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Reince Penis posted:

They were off stage doing drugs.

Sounds like the right move. Jerry was v. fat then so even if he wanted to get up and tell Brent to cut it out he probably was tired. Mickey probably didn’t give a poo poo because at least it wasn’t him ruining drums that night.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i saw moe once. it sucked but then i saw ween for the first time so it was a good weekend.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Moe is extremely not good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I actually don’t know why I went on moe. cruise twice looking back on it.

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

CheesyDog posted:

I have seen people like that have basically an allergic reaction to Metallica

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

WatermelonGun posted:

Judas Priest is much better than any of these trash rock bands.

Priest rules

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I'm just going to leave this link to Heavy Metal Parking Lot right here.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CheesyDog posted:

I liked honeymoon better but that one is good too.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I had a listen to the new Priest album a while ago, and it was... pretty cool? If you're into Priest, definitely not the worst imho.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
If you read books and whatever - you know, newspapers and poo poo - you probably know about The Beatles' Let It Be disaster. Their plan was to have a film crew record their rehearsals for a new album and then top it all off with a big live show - their first in three years. Problem being - (a) John Lennon was a heroin addict, (b) John Lennon wouldn't go anywhere or make any decisions without conferring with Yoko Ono, a heroin addict, (c) Nobody would give George Harrison's songs the time of day, (d) To maintain peace in the band, Paul allowed the sessions to devolve into a series of pathetic, goofy covers of old 12-bar standards they'd enjoyed in their youth. And thanks to bootlegs like this one, we now know that these sessions SOUNDED even worse than they SOUNDED!

The first 34 minutes aren't bad, being a (near)-complete tape of the legendary 'top of the roof to yer' performance later copied by U2 - three takes of "Get Back," two "Don't Let Me Down"s, two "I've Got A Feeling"s, "I Dig A Pony" and "One After 909." Muffled, monophonic and 500th-generation, but legendary indeed.

Then you hit the second half of the CD, and it quickly dawns on you how gifted and perservering Phil Spector must have been to piece together an actual album (and a GREAT one!) from tapes this meandering, depressing and horrible. Excited by the thought of rare, unreleased tracks with titles like "The Walk," "Gone Gone Gone," "Wake Up In The Morning," "Harry Pinsker," "Stand By Me" and "Medley: Sausages And French Fries/Early In The Morning/Honey Hush"????? EXCITED?????? drat RIGHT YOU'RE EXCITED!!!!!

It's time to not be excited anymore. They're worthless half-assed 12-bar r'n'b jams by four men who couldn't stand the sight of each other. Just loving around trying to make the hours go away. Even the attempts at light humor (all Paul's) are unfathomably depressing. You'll just shake your head in wonder - "THIS is the Beatles!? They went from The Top-Selling White Album to PLAYING OUT-OF-TUNE CRAP FROM THE 50'S!?" Sure, there are no Troggs-style blow-ups, but this kind of useless time-wasting - doing everything in their power to avoid having to learn each others' new songs - is perhaps even more disturbing. At least if they'd argued, we'd be left with the impression that they actually gave a poo poo about The Beatles. But they didn't - not at all.

Well, Paul cared, but he was so afraid that John, George and Ringo would quit the band (they all did, btw, at various points in the sessions) that nobody took control of the project and it flailed out of discontrol near-immediately. Say! Did you know that Paul tried to teach the band "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window," "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" and "Oh! Darling" during these rehearsals? Any lingering questions about why these songs instead wound up on Abbey Road are quickly cleared up by one listen to John/George/Ringo's lazy, boneheaded attempts to follow along with Paul's piano playing (PPP). Take "Oh! Darling" for example. Easy song, right? Pretty basic r'n'b-based thing? Well, nobody told John! (or whoever's on bass. Maybe it was Paul's baby, if it had been born yet). And so a simple r'n'b loop-de-doo becomes a monumental tribute to ineptitude.

Although not a very listenable bootleg, The Complete Rooftop Sessions is an important one. It captures the very brief period of time during which The Beatles were a completely inadequate, dysfunctional piece of poo poo. If you're ever dissatisfied with the state of YOUR band, give this garbage a listen and you might just see things in a whole new light. "Hey buds," you'll say, putting your arm around Wes's shoulder and slipping a fifth dick into DJ Lethal's insatiable mouth, "I think we're all in agreeance that we're pretty much the worst band in the world but dude - at least we never sucked as bad as The Beatles."

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
Love listening to the greatful dead jam out and reading really long posts

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I love getting fairly nicely toasted at a jimmy buffet concert and spending time with some babes.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

The best thing the Grateful Dead ever did was their debut album. "Cold Rain & Snow" is a quick, jammin' tune. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for Hammond organ.

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
I love Power Violence and Obamacare

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Navin Johnson posted:

The best thing the Grateful Dead ever did was their debut album. "Cold Rain & Snow" is a quick, jammin' tune. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for Hammond organ.

I can get behind this.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Meck Pomses posted:

I don't remember any band members from Smashing Pumpkins except Billy Korgan.

Kim Deal was in The Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins and The Breeders which is pretty prolific

Edit: holy poo poo it’s a different Kim. They don’t even look the same, how did I ever believe this. The tour dates probably wouldn’t have even made sense

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

didnt read the thread but american beauty is an amazing album

if u dont like this ur dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9SKxL9CnW0

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 26, 2018

• Locked thread