Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
Has anybody else here heard this band? I have some coworkers who are crazy about this band, they talk about them and play their music all the time and I can't wrap my head around it. It's like the music from the weather channel with some old guy with a weak voice singing nonsense over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Someone get OP some drugs.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
bunch of hippies who need a haircut

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

"wikipedia" posted:

The discography of the rock band the Grateful Dead includes more than 140 albums
:smugbird::allears:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Yeah they’re pretty loving awful, OP. I wish you would do something about it.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The grateful dead are fantastic, and so are dead and company starring John Mayer. It's the sound of the soul singing

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

Boy I am gonna be GRATEFUL when they are all DEAD amiright Dad

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Its not my kind of music but i wish they still toured because the acid trade followed their tour schedule and it was easy to get a decades supply of acid on the cheap

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
Can't wait to see some trolls kramering in to make their hot takes about how the band is good and their music isn't the rock equivalent of elevator music

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
their recorded albums are okay but the live sets are horrible

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
My best experience with the greatful dead is the time I got to hear an old dead head saying that kids who go to "edm shows" are idiots

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

I hate their music but you gotta respect their hustle at least. They knew their audience and pumped out the jams knowing what their fans liked.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
op is a touch of gay

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
:siren: people have different tastes in music :siren:

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

Bath Tubs posted:

I hate their music but you gotta respect their hustle at least. They knew their audience and pumped out the jams knowing what their fans liked.

Their fans would listen to anything they played if the stuff I have heard is any indication

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

Schweinhund posted:

:siren: people have different tastes in music :siren:

Lol

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
Playing fast and loose with the definition of the word taste there

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bip Roberts posted:

their recorded albums are okay but the live sets are horrible

It depended on how much blow/lsd/heroin they were on. Closing Of Winterland '78 is one of the better live concerts.

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 19, 2018

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
studio stuff is ok - good. live, my god is it horrible.
"Dicks Picks" is a blight upon the human race.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
U2 is worse

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
Nobody who isnt in U2 pretends they are a good band

StudlyCaps
Oct 4, 2012
Out on the road today I saw a dead head sticker on a Cadillac.
A little voice inside my head said don’t look back, you can never look back.

That’s my Grateful Dead story.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

dude, I get it. U2 is terrible. But there's no topping the Grateful Dead. They are hell visited upon this earth. Pain and suffering made real in our world.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I like the colorful teddy bears.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Stolen Roses is the only good Grateful Dead Album. The reason it's good: it's all covers. The Grateful Dead isn't involved at all.

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

my dog died im sad posted:

dude, I get it. U2 is terrible. But there's no topping the Grateful Dead. They are hell visited upon this earth. Pain and suffering made real in our world.

I don't know if I would go that far but it is lovely that there are 5000 grateful dead bands now and half the members of actually good band Pantera have died

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
there's like 5000 terrible Grateful Dead live recordings too, thanks to the """""community'''''''

You want to hear a bunch of morons sing their hits way slowly and out of tune, well YOURE IN LUCK!!!!

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

I like that one about using a telephone.

I forget they exist until I get stuck behind a business criminal with a GR8FL4LYF vanity plate.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
In my younger days I purchased an album called Dylan & The Dead. I was pretty into Bob Dylan then and I wondered why the gently caress I hadn't heard of this album containing what amounted to a supergroup recorded live no less!

Then I listened to it.

I threw it into the trash, couldn't ever listen to Dylan Robert Zimmerman again.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Breakfast Feud posted:

In my younger days I purchased an album called Dylan & The Dead. I was pretty into Bob Dylan then and I wondered why the gently caress I hadn't heard of this album containing what amounted to a supergroup recorded live no less!

Then I listened to it.

I threw it into the trash, couldn't ever listen to Dylan Robert Zimmerman again.

It is sooooooo Baaaaaad. Like that baby boomer that's always at your local bar noodling on his guitar and sounding like poo poo, that is the Grateful Dead.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
You're wrong OP, but the real answer is closer than you think.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was actually shocked when I heard a song on the radio the other day that I liked and the host said it was the Grateful Dead. No idea what it was called though but I spent a decent amount of time trying to get into them and hating everything in my teenage druggy years

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Whatever you heard was off of their first two studio albums. Everything after is absolute tripe. Even if some guy claims to have run the lights at the Filmore for years before it closed down, don't listen to anything he says about music. Cause he's gonna tell you about all these live Dead albums you've never heard and the String Cheese Incident. Also, DUDE, Bob "where are the thirteen year olds" Weir has a new jam band and it's totally cool!!!

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

Xotl posted:

You're wrong OP, but the real answer is closer than you think.

If you have something to say about Slayer then do it

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
What did the Deadhead say when they ran out of drugs?

“Jesus Christ, this music sucks!”

That joke is better than 90% of the Dead’s output.
I will say their first two albums when Pigpen had a strong influence in their sound have some decent moments.

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
There are a lot of people who love the improvisational live music of the grateful dead and most of them don't listen to jazz for some reason.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

When I get to hell, they'll be playing Darkstar over and over again. Or more likely Fire on the Mountain.

Then they will find out that does nothing to me compared to listening to Bob Dylan's basement tapes with The Band, and I will suffer for all eternity

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The Grateful Dead? More like Grateful to BE Dead rather than listen to their terrible music!

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Sorry op but Red Hot Chili Peppers is a worser band than some stupid hippy poo poo that no one cares about, for fucks sake the Chili Peps are still putting out terrible music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i only ever listened to american beauty because of watching freaks and geeks. ripple, box of rain, and sugar magnolia are good songs.

• Locked thread