Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I didn't know that was even possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

When I took it apart a few days later there was no sign of the cush rubbers whatsoever, just that same green powder.

who knew, Honda cush rubbers are actually made of compressed matcha

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

When I took it apart a few days later there was no sign of the cush rubbers whatsoever, just that same green powder.

LMAO This brings new meaning to "consumable items" in motorcycle maintenance.

Jazzzzz posted:

welp

I obviously never got around to it either - let's blame the PPO

I'm pretty sure you said "the cush rubbers probably need to be replaced" when I picked the bike up. Thanks for giving me a set of cush rubbers with the sale. You were very generous.

Got it out for a meandering 3 hour ride today and it was like a whole new bike. Felt butter smooth and sublime all over. Even things like cornering, where you wouldn't expect the slop to show up, were night and day. It felt comparatively unsafe and unstable in sharp turns and low speed stuff before.

Please enjoy this overexposed photo of a dirty motorcycle next to a lake that looks like it was taken with a disposable camera from the 90s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haaaa i found the picture of my cush drive after I opened it up

and this is one of Gorson's

For anyone not experienced with these devices, this is what is supposed to be inside:

so that's 3/3 now. Who else in CA has a Hawk?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 8, 2021

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
"Ablative Cushioning" by Honda

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

.........is the rubber actually green?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well that explains that

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can confirm the vfr750 also has green rubber and it, too, disintegrates.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Wait, how are you not getting a good look at the cush rubbers every time you take the wheels in for new tires?

(I’m guessing the hawk isn’t built like I’m used to, in one of those pics it looks like the sprocket assembly is outside the swingarm?)

Edit: before you ask I can confirm that every chain driven bike I’ve owned had some variant on the same “angle bracket iron”-looking straight box swingarm ends.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 8, 2021

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Ulf posted:

(I’m guessing the hawk isn’t built like I’m used to, in one of those pics it looks like the sprocket assembly is outside the swingarm?)

The Hawk has a single-sided swingarm like a VFR. The wheel bolts to a hub assembly on the throttle side of the swingarm, and the cush drive assembly goes on the clutch side of the swingarm (instead of fitting into the rear wheel like you're used to). Removing the rear wheel does not also require removing the cush hub or chain; they stay in place.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I've only taken wheels off a motorcycle once so far and it was twelve years ago, but the sprocket stayed on when I did it

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Ah, the first time I took wheels in (for my 250) the tech looked at me like I was an idiot and handed me my sprocket and cush rubbers back.

Every chain-driven bike I've had the sprocket is pretty loose and free-floating once the clamp pressure of the axle bolt is gone.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Supradog posted:

Dear PO, that's not how those work.

From when I bought my NX250

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Gf's JS125 is definitely missing the cush drive (or at best has a very worn one) because I can rock the wheel back and forth quite a bit without the chain moving at all. I'm the PO because I can't be arsed fixing it, though neither of us is riding it hard enough to make much difference.

Unrelated, I'm a double PO because I really half arsed cleaning my brake pots when I replaced the pads a couple weeks ago and now they're seizing again.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Supradog posted:

From when I bought my NX250

:byodood:

(the rubbers should be "straddling" those metal dividers.)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Mine were absolutely fine when I changed the rear tyre on the SV, but since I'd already bought new ones I switched them anyway.

That's my story about cush drives.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Revvik posted:

DRZ’s were like 2.1 I think?

Sounds about right my DR350SE notionally holds 9L but I don't think I've gotten it low enough to put more than about 1.9 gallons in yet.

Coydog posted:

Been meaning to replace the cush rubbers in the Hawk for a long time. 8 months ago it felt like I had a loose chain, but the chain was fine, so it must be the cush. I kept putting it off because I barely ride due to the pandemic and I hate working on bikes.

Today it was time to get it done, and I was actually afraid that the cush rubbers would be similar condition to my new replacements, making the job a waste of time. This is what I found upon opening the casing. :stare:

Feeling how snug the new rubbers made everything, I cannot wait to take it for a ride.

Holy hell. I remember when I took my rear end apart last fall, I was concerned about the rubbers and shared a photo in the slack chat...they looked brand new compared to some of the poo poo people are sharing here.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Razzled posted:

this just puts me further in the "cush drive doesnt do poo poo" camp.

but i still cant decide on my warp9 wheels for da 501

I have the cush hubs on mine and I would be interested to ride regular sumo hubs side by side because mine feels too cushioned or something.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Somehow the cush drives on my meth gixxer appeared to be in fine shape, and I don't understand how that's possible. Maybe a shop putting on new tires convinced a PO it was absolutely necessary as I can't imagine they can last 20 years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Somehow the cush drives on my meth gixxer appeared to be in fine shape, and I don't understand how that's possible. Maybe a shop putting on new tires convinced a PO it was absolutely necessary as I can't imagine they can last 20 years.

They absolutely can and do last decades if you have smooth four cylinder power married to no talent.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's surprising to hear but I'll take it, I thought time alone would degrade the rubber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

That's surprising to hear but I'll take it, I thought time alone would degrade the rubber

It kind of does but in my experience it just degrades into a solid brick so the bike doesn't really notice the difference.

The ones that really gently caress out seem to be because of salt water exposure, river crossings, just general dirt bike poo poo, or the bikes that haven't ridden in literal decades so it crumbles on the first ride.

Also older bikes are chonky with generous proportions on everything. Nowadays everything has to be made as lean and light as possible to make space for bullshit you don't need, the cush drive is one thing that seems to be getting smaller and skinnier with each generation.