Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Post the terrible things you do to your bikes, your lovely behavior in traffic, the bad clothes you wear, and other motorcycle-related evidence of you generally being a sloppy piece of poo poo.

My first bike was a 1979 XS400, which I rode for about 2 years. I never checked the tire pressure or changed the oil once. I may have topped it up a couple times.

On my current street bike, my vacuum fuel pump started leaking around the seals, so I bought a tube of RTV and globbed it on there until it stopped dripping gas. That was thousands of miles ago, and a new replacement would have been like $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Needed new chain and sprockets, the chain was so shagged out from being left out in the rain and not oiled it was at the same time loose and all kinked up. Waited until the last minute and the store only had a chain and no sprockets(in the size/pattern i needed), I was going on a 4 day ride the next day, bought the cheapest non-oring chain I could get away with and installed it on the old sprockets. After about 1900 miles in 4 days, that chain was showing signs of being "not right". Loose in some spots where I was seeing about 3 inches of slack, roll the wheel a bit and the chain was taught like a bow string, it had stretched in a comically uneven manner. Thoroughly chastised by the group I was riding with, I bought a new chain and sprocket set when I got home ad started to pay attention to it's regular care. Now depending on the chain/bike I get 15K miles out of them, I got about 25Kmiles on one chain on the Bandit.

When I've bee in a hurry or done roadside repairs, I've been guilty of a western union splice or bent pigtail, then just wrapping it in a ton of electrical tape.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Look, electric wire splices are hard and electrical issues, when remedied, don't require further questioning just wrap it the gently caress up and don't tell the person you sell it to.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My new levers have a 2 pin clutch switch and the stock Kawi one is 3 pin. I unbolted the microswitch from the old broken lever and just hung it off the left control pod pigtail thing until I get around to rewiring it. LOW ENERGY!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i lost the clamp for my airbox to carb boot, so i just used double wrapped lockwire and twisted it off to keep the boot on

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I check tire pressure by kicking the tires on the middle of the tread and feeling for the right rebound

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

I check tire pressure by kicking the tires on the middle of the tread and feeling for the right rebound

Same. Except I just push on the center of the tire.

I never wash my bikes. I at best wipe them down with Honda polish

I also don’t always change my oil before winter. Sometimes I don’t get around to it :shrug:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

And here I feel bad for losing one of three screws for my right headlight assembly when I was changing the bulb, and not bothering to get a new one

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Most bike's I've owned, the interval between dead cold engine start and WOT is on average about five minutes, sometimes less on the really weedy small stuff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just lol if your idle isn’t set to redline.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My bike is filthy as all hell. Any time I take it out I think "Oh yeah, I should wash it when I get back..." but once I get back I'm like "Meh I'll do it later...". Repeat for every ride since riding season started in April.

I've also meant to change the oil and filter since the start of the season. Not because it needs to be changed, but because I told myself I'd change it at the start of every season. I've just been putting it off, excusing myself with "Well it doesn't NEED to be changed..."

I also have a screw embedded in the rear tire. It holds air, but I expect it's just a matter of time before it pops out and leaves me stranded at the side of the road.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
I don't check tire pressure or chain slack or even a full t-clo-ck-s but once a season on any of my bikes, and it's been fine. Perfectly fine. I also had a crash this year that knocked off a frame slider, and you know what: not going to replace it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I have never serviced a single bearing on any motorcycle I've owned, other than cleaning my steerer bearings the one time I had the front end apart.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oh yeah, in the 6 years I've owned this bike I've never changed the brake fluid or coolant either.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I changed what was probably original coolant in the sv only after owning it like 3 years

I literally washed it once until I got a job with access to cleaning/detailing tools

I torque axles by feel

I probably merge too close to cars for the driver’s comfort (from behind, never in front)

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
When I had my FZ09 I swapped out the exhaust and put the stock one in the shed. Well when I sold it I went to pull the exhaust out and it was literally packed from top to bottom with acorns. I got as many as I could out and as I was riding it to swap with my Tuono the acorns left in were popping and it let out so much smoke. Luckily it stopped smoking by the time I got rid of it but I'm sure the next owner will enjoy the sweet smell of roasted nuts for a while.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I have one bike that needs me to put a T joint in the carb to run. I have the part, the carb is already pulled, all I have to do is undo two screws and put it back on the bike. I haven't bothered since I have another motorcycle.

I own a pair of riding pants that won't button, but have a velcro belt. Instead of buying new pants, I just squeeze my fat rear end into these with the velcro and pray science holds them together. I am sure they will hold up in a wreck.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

^ Lmao, I gained weight and just stopped buttoning my riding pants until I fit them again

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Minkee posted:

I have one bike that needs me to put a T joint in the carb to run. I have the part, the carb is already pulled, all I have to do is undo two screws and put it back on the bike. I haven't bothered since I have another motorcycle.

Ha, the t joint on my carb rack is broken, so I just heated up the gas line a bit and slipped it past the broken section as far as I could and put a hose clamp on it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I didn't oil the chain nearly enough on my last bike, to the extent that it was spitting out shards of o-ring and was so solidly kinked I could feel it kick through the footpegs every time it went round the front sprocket.

I fixed this by riding harder until it loosened up/I got used to it.

I proceeded to stall on fitting a new chain for almost a year after I identified these issues.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
After it sat outdoors uncovered for most of the last 8 years , I spent hours upon hours polishing this thing:

The humidity in the air will be enough moisture to turn all that chrome to solid rust. Bike's gone, IDGAF.

E: Also, the spotlamp fuse is 30A instead of 10 because that's all I had on hand.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 25, 2018

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

I torque axles by feel
Mods?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

I torque front axle pinch-bolts by feel. I torque axles by ugga-dugga. (3/8" cordless.)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I torque the oil sump plug to a medium grunt.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I pay someone else to do my torque-ing.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Collateral Damage posted:

I torque the oil sump plug to a medium grunt.

Same on bieks and cars. I know what it'll take to get it back off and I know what it takes to smash a copper washer, that not a bolt I'm likely to overtorque.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I thought i had loose spark plugs so I bought a harbor freight torque wrench, visegripped a socket to my bench, and used two gallon jugs of water (16.7 lb) hanging 1' from the axis to calibrate it around that point (it was quite off from the factory). Does work great for the plugs though as they need about 18 ft-lb

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Buhbuhj posted:

When I had my FZ09 I swapped out the exhaust and put the stock one in the shed. Well when I sold it I went to pull the exhaust out and it was literally packed from top to bottom with acorns. I got as many as I could out and as I was riding it to swap with my Tuono the acorns left in were popping and it let out so much smoke. Luckily it stopped smoking by the time I got rid of it but I'm sure the next owner will enjoy the sweet smell of roasted nuts for a while.

what the gently caress this rules

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

I thought i had loose spark plugs so I bought a harbor freight torque wrench, visegripped a socket to my bench, and used two gallon jugs of water (16.7 lb) hanging 1' from the axis to calibrate it around that point (it was quite off from the factory). Does work great for the plugs though as they need about 18 ft-lb

GriszledMelkaba posted:

what the gently caress this rules

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've never washed a single bike I've ever owned. I wipe off all the loose dust with a microfiber cloth, get the bugs off with some Honda polish, and that's enough for me. Chain gunk on the swingarm and other accumulated bullshit on the undercarriage gets Simple Greened once a year. If it's covered in grease it won't rust, right?

Doesn't particularly matter what oil the manufacturer calls for, chances are it's gonna get Rotella T6 in it. It might even be the right weight.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I put clip master links on everything & have never had a chain failure

sneak edit: ^rotella in literally everything

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yerok posted:

I put clip master links on everything & have never had a chain failure

sneak edit: ^rotella in literally everything

What is this, some kind of humble brag? It's what master links are made for. Anyone insisting riveted links are the only acceptable chain is an elitist prick who will tell you you're jerking off the wrong way.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Fortunately the elitist pricks have never convinced me to spend $20 on a rivet tool, that's like 3 x-ring clip links

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Please tell me you only changed it because you're selling it.

E: Selling the bike, not the dirty air filter

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 10, 2018

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Since re-buying the xr I decided to take better care of it.

(Includes not letting fine ferrous sand into the carburettor)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turn the power down on your toaster, jeez

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

I torque axles by feel

Hell, same

I also didn't want to buy the $300 alignment tool for the pickup coil on my old SM610, so I put it in best I could and bolted it back up, rode it for a little while then sold it to a dude in Portland.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Chain jumped on my first bike (V-Star 250) and punched a hole in the crank case. JB-Welded the hole. After much sanding and patching, there were no more leaks. I traded it into a dealer for $2,000 towards my next bike a couple months later.

Used black duct tape to attach indicator wires together.

Went 35,000 without changing wheel bearings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wobbly Python
Jan 2, 2014
I'm using an oil filter intended for cars on my motorcycle and it hasn't hurt a thing yet.