Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Doc M posted:

not Yakety Sax

Thank gently caress for that. I forgot to mention that using Yakety Sax would be a lovely idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Thank gently caress for that. I forgot to mention that using Yakety Sax would be a lovely idea.
Hey, give me some credit. :v: I know better than that at least.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 06: Dorm of the Dead

We explore the dormitory (I say guard house in the video, but it's clearly meant to be a dormitory for scientists as well as guards) and its flooded basement, and come across a bunch of spiders the size of compact cars (just a heads up for any arachnophobes out there: those spiders still look pretty gross despite the lovely graphics), mutant sharks, and a nest of killer bees along with the usual shambling cadavers. Lovely. As if that wasn't enough, one of Umbrella Inc.'s fine scientists decided to inject a plant with the T-virus just to see what would happen.

The graphics in the Saturn version continue to be incredibly dark despite the fact my brightness, contrast and gamma settings are more or less optimized (you can see the menu screen looks completely fine, or even slightly too bright in some spots), except for the screen with the beehive for some reason. I didn't edit that or adjust any settings, it actually was a hell of a lot brighter than anything else in this game.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 16, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 07: Planted

I am highly skilled at this video game and definitely not an incompetent moron. Now, if you don't do the whole V-Jolt song and dance and decide to go fight Plant 42 without weakening it, you'll eventually get grabbed and then Barry shows up to save the day with a flamethrower.

Meanwhile, if you're Chris, you're incapable of solving first grade math problems so you either have to tough it out or have Rebecca make the V-Jolt and weaken Plant 42 during a short section where you play as her.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Hoo boy, gotta love that gruesome (for 1996) death animation via Plant 42. Been a while since I've seen that one!

So something's been bugging me since the start and I didn't really mention it incase I was just turning into some crazy loving retarded grandpa, but the music in the Saturn version is definitely off compared to the PlayStation. That scene with Wesker (for reference, that's linked to the PS version there) loving seals it for sure; I've heard some wacky poo poo going on with this variation of the OST so far but holy hell the way bits of the music bend in and around itself like it's being performed by a drugged-up monkey during that exchange is loving mental. Seriously guys, it's merely a few beers away from falling into DC:DS territory.

But back onto deaths and all that gubbins, that is something that's been missing from RE for a long time now; seeing yourself get offed in some horrible way because you mashed buttons like an idiot* instead of thinking ahead or doing the right thing at the right time. RE4 was probably the last title to give us that sort of garish awful stuff, but since then a lot of it has been more suggested than explicitly shown. For a series that prides itself on some of the most grotesque lab-grown poo poo imaginable, they sure got lazy in punishing your eyes (and the squeamish in general) for being fatally crap at the games.

But then maybe I just loved seeing my sister's reaction to being shown up for being poo poo at all things RE back in the PSX days.

*Not to suggest OP is an idiot, he even says he's not in the description, so there :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hoo boy, gotta love that gruesome (for 1996) death animation via Plant 42. Been a while since I've seen that one!
I don't think I've ever seen that one before, sure caught me off guard when I was playing. The second attempt is how that fight normally goes, so I don't know how the first run ended up being such a trainwreck where literally everything went wrong.

While I admit getting grabbed was completely my own stupid fault, I'm not sure what the deal was with my grenades phasing right through Plant 42. One of them missed because my aim was off by half a pixel, but the rest seemed like they should've hit it. Then, because my shots weren't hitting the boss regardless of whether I was aiming up or forward, I figured that I should try from closer range so I wandered right up to the monster plant with the giant tentacles. :eng99:

I wish there was some actual information about these fights on a wiki or something, none of the "shoot it until it dies" poo poo on Gamefaqs but a proper explanation of the mechanics. The Resident Evil wikia seems to be more concerned about telling me the Japanese name of each attack (and the etymology for those names) and how many hits it takes to kill a boss with the knife than actually bothering to describe how the boss fights work. To be fair, this is par for the course for that particular site.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 20, 2018

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

So something's been bugging me since the start and I didn't really mention it incase I was just turning into some crazy loving retarded grandpa, but the music in the Saturn version is definitely off compared to the PlayStation. That scene with Wesker (for reference, that's linked to the PS version there) loving seals it for sure; I've heard some wacky poo poo going on with this variation of the OST so far but holy hell the way bits of the music bend in and around itself like it's being performed by a drugged-up monkey during that exchange is loving mental. Seriously guys, it's merely a few beers away from falling into DC:DS territory.

You're not wrong, the Dormitory theme sounded way more shrill to me on the Saturn than the PSX version, the music in the Wesker scene has the same problem along with the instrument volumes sounding out of whack. Comparing the two is sort of a Goofus and Gallant on use of dissonance.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 08: Night of the Hunt

Welcome home, good hunter.

Despite their fearsome reputation among old school RE fans, Hunters are more goofy than scary. Yeah, they can wreak havoc on your ammo reserves, their jumping attacks are annoying, and they can take your head off in a single swipe which sucks if you haven't saved recently, but the creatures themselves always looked like something that should show up on the pages of a Marvel comic rather than a horror game. I was never scared of these guys even though everything else in this game (especially the zombies) absolutely terrified me back in 1996 when I watched a friend play through it. Come on, just look at the stupid face of that dumb lizard man in the episode thumbnail. I wonder if Capcom sells plush toy versions of them.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Visually they're goofy-lookin' with their low-poly model and low-res Play-Doh textures, sure, but they're hands-down the one* creature that causes the most misery and will inflict said misery with no wind-up animation. That's what makes 'em scary, what they can actually do :v:

As for the jump attack, this is indeed wonky and dumb when it comes to hitboxes but by simply aiming up you can (and should) hit the fuckers in mid-air with most weapons. Bit late now given that you've recorded everything but hey, whatever, maybe someone else can use this 22-year-old tip!

*Saturn RE also has the "Tick" variant lurking beneath the Courtyard which sadly is nothing more than a shoddy (i.e. really loving ugly) remodel/reskin, leaving them functionally identical, so I suppose that's worth an honourable mention.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 09: Yaaaawn

As you may have already noticed, I am terrible at this game's boss fights. The tank controls and complete lack of autoaim don't exactly help matters, but the dismal performance you see here is mostly on me because I was dumb with my grenade rounds earlier (the acid rounds would've been a big help here). If you want to skip the montage of incompetence, click ahead to the 7:15 timestamp.

I'm pretty sure Yawn can't poison you in this fight, by the way. I'm basing this on two things: the fact I got bitten a million times in this video and never got poisoned, and reading somewhere that Yawn's venom can only be cured by the Serum.

Also, here is the glorious mess that is the DualShock Edition version of the mansion basement music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

The music in the DualShock release was credited to a composer named Mamoru Samuragochi, who was known as "the Japanese Beethoven" because he was deaf for most of his career. Well, that's how the story went, anyway. It eventually turned out he had been faking both his deafness and his talent as a composer, and "most of" his work was actually composed by Takashi Niigaki. I'm going to assume that also applies to the musical masterpiece above, although it does sound like something that someone with no hearing or musical talent might write.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That boss fight was definitely not your apex ultima. :v:

I'll see myself out.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

That's almost as bad as my jokes. Good job. :v:

edit: Seriously though, that fight is nowhere near as difficult in the Director's Cut. I don't know if Yawn had more HP in this version or if I was just missing more shots because of the lack of lock-on (and maybe I actually had some acid rounds left in the DC), but I went in expecting a cakewalk and got anything but.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 26, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Ooh, ouch. Sweet choice of music but that really did seem like a bullshit series of encounters against Yawn; I don't think I've ever seen the bastard soak up so much damage*. I can only assume that shots closer to the 'tail-end' deal less (possibly half) as much damage compared to shooting him in his big dumb face, would have to try it out t be sure though. 22 years on and there are still things to learn about this game :v:

That Mansion Basement music... truly the stuff of legend :allears: (Really though that entire Dualshock OST is pretty loving poo poo and might as well have been arranged by someone legitimately deaf, even by just smashing his head against a Casio.)

*With the exception of Director's Cut, where (on Advanced at least) the unlockable Infinite Colt Python seems to be completely worthless against him for no reason that I can fathom.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I tried to shoot Yawn in the head whenever I could because I figured it'd be his weak spot, but he moves around so much that actually scoring a hit on his dumb face without lock-on is tricky to say the least.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 10: Deeper Underground

We find another Bravo Team member (Hey, it's Enrico Pallazzo Marini!), fight a giant spider, encounter an all-new enemy (actually just a model swap), and most importantly engage in plenty of cranking action. All this and more as we make our way through the underground caverns beneath the mansion! Also, on closer inspection, the boulder did NOT round the corner and break the laws of physics, I just got confused by the camera angles.

That "Is that... Jill?" "Is that voice Enrico's?" ".............Yeah?" exchange is one of my favorite bits of dialogue in this game, by the way. It's so incredibly awkward!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Goddamn cranks. I hate them.

These crank moments are such tedium when playing, so thanks for speeding that last one up. Deadly Premonition music too, how fitting :allears:

Look at how the whole tunnel area shakes like a making GBS threads dog when Jill's turning that crank underground, it's as if the whole loving place is about to collapse.

The cheap imitation known as Tick is just as disappointing as I recall. It's a mind-bogglingly unnecessary addition. If they were so intent on being different with the Saturn version then they could have used the Chimeras instead, as that would have at least left one surprise for the labs (where they can freely clamber around on the ceiling), but I suppose that would gently caress around with the base gameplay experience too much* (which in turn just leads back to asking why Ticks were even included when Hunters are already there and ready to go).

You're right about the whole palette/model swap thing being rife in the 90's too, but while everyone's favourite recoloured ninjas at least had different moves (albeit just barely in those days), many other cases were pretty drat lazy (Ryu & Ken standing out as the obvious clones in the earliest SFII editions**), and this was the case especially in JRPGs where monster recolours usually just meant "tougher version". The laziest non-JRPG example I can think of right now (aside from Ryu & Ken) is probably the Hellknight/Baron of Hell recolour in Doom II, since in addition to looking like a pair of paint-by-numbers clones they also possess identical behaviour and other statistics***, with the sole gameplay difference of one being half as durable as the other. But at least that's something enough to warrant an inclusion :v:

I suppose Ticks at least make cool enough sounds on being splattered though, so there's that going for them.

Lastly, wow drat, I never tried leaving through that door immediately after meeting Barry and have learned a new thing about this game; that "don't!" soundbite is clearly Chris' voice (exactly the same soundbite as during Chris' scenario when Enrico raises his gun while saying "DOUBLE-CROSSER!"). Seems as though Mr. Redfield is somehow still freely running around (within earshot!) so late into Jill's scenario, all while doing absolutely nothing useful. No wonder he ends up in a jail cell.

gently caress knows how he's actually getting around the place, since Jill has all the keys and other items required to go anywhere. But then Barry's also been conveniently teleporting himself behind locked doors and into places way ahead of Jill, and Wesker... uh yeah we'll just gloss over the whole key thing. I guess the men of S.T.A.R.S. don't need any keys to open doors and can just walk through walls or something.

*Didn't stop them from adding a second T-002 Tyrant for Chris to fight immediately after the first though, did it?

**That's what happens when you go ahead and still make a direct sequel to a game nobody really gave a poo poo about though.

***Slightly altered for most 90's-released console Doom games but this ain't the thread for going into detail.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I know Sony had a policy in those days that required ports from other systems to feature "new" content, which for example is how the PlayStation version of Powerslave/Exhumed ended up with blue scorpions in place of the red spider enemies from the original Saturn release (which was actually better in many ways, as the game was designed specifically for the Saturn hardware and a lot of stuff had to be cut down for the PlayStation port). I don't know if Sega had a policy like this for ports of PlayStation games (the system barely ever got any of those), but the addition of the Tick enemy does kinda give off that vibe.

Resident Evil NPCs phasing through locked doors and teleporting all over the place is a bit of a running theme in these games, isn't it? :v: I seem to recall RE Zero being particularly bad about it.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 31, 2018

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In retrospect the crank events in the tunnels are probably the most unrealistic parts of the game. Zombies, carnivorous tentacle plants, and head chopping evil Battletoads clones still seem believable.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

To finish up the LP in style, I present to you a survival horror double feature!

Episode 11: Arklay Laboratory

We go down to the lab and see what's on the slab.

Episode 12: Finale

Why is the Tyrant so red in the final fight in this version? Speaking of the Tyrant, if you play as Chris in the Saturn port you get to fight a second one down in the lab. Kill the first Tyrant and another breaks out of its tank.

There is also a Golden Tyrant variant in the Saturn-exclusive Battle Game, but the Battle Game is not very good and I don't think it's really worth showing off. The Golden Tyrant is a Tyrant, but golden (you still with me here?) and has much more health. Another enemy exclusive to the Battle Game is Zombie Wesker, which probably doesn't need additional explanation.

Oh yeah, and here are the alternate costumes from the Saturn version (images grabbed from the wiki because :effort:)

Chris' alternate costume is quite similar to Leon's R.P.D uniform but the vest reads S.T.A.R.S on the back rather than R.P.D.

All that said, thanks for joining me on this trip through a weird port of a classic game! Hopefully you enjoyed what you saw and weren't put to sleep by my commentary, or offended by the occasional terrible gameplay I subjected you to. If you made it all the way to the end of the LP, I salute you! :zpatriot:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 1, 2018

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Good to know REmake didn't change a drat thing in that room with the stepladder puzzle.

It's been quite a long time since I saw the original Resident Evil. The Playstation version might not have aged well, but the Saturn version is even worse by comparison. Like so many other Saturn ports back in the day.

Now, I never played the original RE. I only read about it in gaming magazines; I had this one mag with a full walkthrough in it, which I read over and over again. The game did not quite live up to what my imagination made it out to be (though REmake is pretty much exactly what my imagination made it out to be).

Thanks for the LP; it was an entertaining watch and a weird nostalgia trip for a game I never actually played. :zpatriot:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Honestly, I think RE1 aged rather well. It might not be scary anymore (if it ever even was to anyone over the age of 12), but the prerendered environments don't look too bad and the game still plays pretty well if you can deal with the tank controls. Of course the vanilla US/PAL release suffers from the removal of the lock-on mechanic the game's encounters were designed for (and the increased enemy health to go with it, thanks lads), but the Director's Cut is pretty solid.

As for the Saturn version, it certainly has its issues and the characters look like they wandered in from Deep Fear, but I think if you owned a Saturn back in the day you'd have been quite happy with this port. That said, RE2 was just around the corner by that point and the Saturn was very much on the way out, so I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of folks who played the Saturn version of RE1 ended up buying a PlayStation for RE2 a few months later. Well, I guess if they were hardcore Sega fans, they might have waited for the Dreamcast port the following year. :v: (It shows your status on the VMU and everything!)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 2, 2018

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Doc M posted:

Well, I guess if they were hardcore Sega fans, they might have waited for the Dreamcast port the following year. :v: (It shows your status on the VMU and everything!)

And here I am with my N64 cartridge. That's neat about the VMU; I didn't know that.

Why anyone thought taking the lock-on mechanic out of the original game would be a good idea, I'll never understand.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

KieranWalker posted:

And here I am with my N64 cartridge. That's neat about the VMU; I didn't know that.
Yeah, all the RE games on the Dreamcast use the VMU to display your health and ammo status, and the RE2 and RE3 ports also run at a higher resolution than the PS1 original. I don't own copies of the Dreamcast games myself and have had to settle for watching videos so far. I've also been meaning to pick up the N64 version of RE2 at some point, but it apparently switches between the 240p and 480i resolutions all the time which means it's barely playable on modern TVs and video upscalers (the same problem you saw on the title screen FMV in the first episode of this LP, as well as the yellow Resident Evil logo in the credits). I have a CRT in my setup so I could at least play it, but recording would be a problem.

quote:

Why anyone thought taking the lock-on mechanic out of the original game would be a good idea, I'll never understand.
It was entirely to make the game more difficult to finish in a single rental. I don't know why they restored the lock-on in the Director's Cut and the later RE games, but I'm glad they did because fighting any of the more mobile enemies while your character rotates like a tank turret is just miserable.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

You have the worst luck/judgement when trying to sneak and shuffle your way past any given zombie, almost as if you're subconsciously trying to inflate the Death Count for our entertainment :v:

Sure was a ride seeing this port all the way through, got a laugh out of me when I saw how the devs seemingly just said "gently caress it" and redesigned the Tyrant lab to remove all the transparency (along with adding that second chamber for the other Tyrant to bust out of).

Those fluffed shots from the RL though :allears:

Poor bastard caught one eventually though.

There really is an incredibly narrow cone of effect when firing weapons in this game, something that was changed to be so much wider in RE2 onward (and they're seriously loving lenient with it in that game, ridiculously so). That being said I never had that much of an issue with aiming, or maybe I did really and have since just got so used to it over time that I don't even see its a thing that can cause a fake difficulty problem anymore. Except for those lovely Chimera things. They have the worst hitboxes in the game by far and away, and even with auto-aim they'll just seemingly eat shots to no ill-effect.

So the other "big" difference in this port is the zombies, or rather, it's the sounds they make. Nothing that affects gameplay but still somewhat jarring when looking away; it's all out of order compared to the PlayStation, like someone renamed the audio files for the individual moans & groans for no good reason and just left it like that (the most obvious way of noticing this is when they're groaning out what's usually the 'attacking' growl when they're instead just falling over). Here I am thinking "man Doc really sucks at avoiding these naked bozos", when the reality is you're actually wasting them on all sides.

It's the small things :downs:

Oh, and Battle Mode is absolutely worth showing off! We all wanna see Golden Tyrant & Zombie Wesker!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Those fluffed shots from the RL though :allears:
Just keeping up the suspense for you guys! (Nah, I completely screwed up my aim there because I'm so used to locking on to Big T, and briefly forgot it's better to just let him charge at you :downs:)

quote:

Oh, and Battle Mode is absolutely worth showing off! We all wanna see Golden Tyrant & Zombie Wesker!
oh god do I have to, I hate the combat in this version :negative:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh poo poo I am absolutely calling the REmake 2 version of Mr. X/T-103 this. It's just unbelievably fitting what with that dopey clearly-too-small fedora he's got glued onto his head.

Doc M posted:

oh god do I have to, I hate the combat in this version :negative:
Yes, because you know it'll all be worth it for the laffs and to share your wonderfully Finnish reactions to anything and everything that goes wrong :unsmith:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hm. Okay then. I'm kinda busy with Spider-Man and various Yakuza games at the moment (and also have to do some work every once in a while), but I guess I'll give the Battle Mode a shot at some point before the thread falls into the archives.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

No pressure, seems to be just me asking for it but I suppose you could just lob it into the RE Megathread at some point if there's currently too much on your plate to really fit it in comfortably, I dunno :shrug:

Sure it's a really crummy tacked-on mode for the sake of giving the Saturn something to set it apart, albeit with about as much thought put into it as Umbrella puts into employee safety, but that's what makes it so intriguing!

Fake edit:
And that music. Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ on a bike, that is terrible for something that loops for 5 minutes at a time.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doc M posted:

It was entirely to make the game more difficult to finish in a single rental. I don't know why they restored the lock-on in the Director's Cut and the later RE games, but I'm glad they did because fighting any of the more mobile enemies while your character rotates like a tank turret is just miserable.

Grateful I started the franchise with RE2 on the N64 in retrospect, never was able to maneuver around zombies either and always had to shoot through everything. Having had to play the original PSX release or the Saturn port where you move and shoot like a dodgy NES game would have likely soured me on the whole franchise from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tony Snark posted:

Grateful I started the franchise with RE2 on the N64 in retrospect, never was able to maneuver around zombies either and always had to shoot through everything. Having had to play the original PSX release or the Saturn port where you move and shoot like a dodgy NES game would have likely soured me on the whole franchise from the start.

I remember the RE2 demo that came with PSM here in the UK (Demo 14, some bright red affair with whatever else on the disc because nobody gave a gently caress about all that other poo poo when RE2 was pasted all over the magazine front). While most of us of the age at (primary) school thought it was an amazing game, so very few of us ever got to see Kendo because of the camera/control combo. One instance where playing the original game with its easy start to get to grips with it all was an immediate advantage when RE2 just laughed and threw us straight into a crowd of flesh-eating bastards :cabot:

• Locked thread