Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

(Yes, I have an exclamation point there instead of a question mark, and it's completely intentional and in the spirit of Resident Evil's line delivery)

ABOUT THE GAME :eng101:

Resident Evil (originally titled Biohazard in Japan) is a survival horror action-adventure game by Capcom, released in 1996 for the original PlayStation. The plot involves a police special forces squad known as S.T.A.R.S. (Special Tactics And Rescue Service) Alpha Team getting trapped in a mansion full of ravenous zombies, nonsensical puzzles and other horrors when searching for the missing S.T.A.R.S. Bravo Team in the wilderness outside Raccoon City, and your job as either Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine is to get out of the mansion in one piece as you uncover its secrets and look for survivors. Of course you knew all of that already, but did you know Capcom also made a port of the original RE for the Sega Saturn? (Well, the thread title was a bit of a giveaway, I suppose)

The Saturn port of RE was released in 1997, around the same time the first version of Resident Evil: Director's Cut came out on the PlayStation. However, the Saturn version is based on the original release and doesn't contain the extra content and other changes Capcom made to the Director's Cut. That means the autoaim that was originally present in the Japanese version of Biohazard and got removed from the first western release is missing here as well, and that sucks but hey, at least it made sure people in the 90s would have a harder time completing the game in a single rental! The Advanced/Arrange mode is missing as well, but who cares.

The Saturn version does have a couple of new alternate outfits for the characters and an exclusive Battle Mode that is unlocked by beating the game or using a cheat code, although that mode is not really anything to write home about either since combat isn't exactly one of old-school RE's strong suits. Especially since there is no goddamn autoaim :argh: I might show off the Battle Mode at the end of the LP if I'm feeling masochistic enough, but all it really offers is a couple of new enemies (as does one area of the main game, actually). I am of course using the term "new" very loosely here, mind you.

So what's the deal with this port and why is it so interesting? Long story short, the Saturn's hardware architecture with its dual video processors was a nightmarish mess that only few developers could take advantage of, and ports of PlayStation games rarely fared well on the system. Capcom did what they could with the RE port, but the end result is still a version of Resident Evil that seems... off in many ways. It's recognizably the same game and the actual content hasn't changed much, but RE on the Saturn simply looks and sounds kinda weird if you're used to the PlayStation original. The truly amazing voice acting is still there, at least, and so are the equally incredible FMVs such as this one:

ABOUT THE LP :pseudo:

This LP is a playthrough of Jill's campaign because Chris sucks, and also because Barry is the greatest. Now, I'm by no means amazing at Resident Evil and even though I know the mansion's layout pretty well I don't remember the entire game off the top of my head, so I will occasionally get lost and/or horribly killed. I'll use editing whenever necessary to keep things going at a decent pace, but for the most part you'll be seeing the whole playthrough as it was recorded.

The version I am playing is the PAL release, and while I wanted to record the game on an NTSC system that didn't work out as the audio is all synced to the PAL 50 Hz mode's slower gameplay at a 25 fps frame rate. As such, playing the game at 60 Hz caused all kinds of weird issues and I had to settle for 50 Hz. That being said, I have at least gotten rid of the PAL letterboxing so you get to see the image as it would appear on an NTSC system and at the end of the day, it's still 100% original hardware. No emulation here.

As for spoilers, go hog wild. This game is over 20 years old, and the story was... not the greatest in the first place.

VIDEOS :zpatriot:

Click here for Youtube playlist

Episode 01: The Beginning
Episode 02: Dogs, Crows and Sandwiches
Episode 03: (Don't Fear) The Keeper
Episode 04: Ouch
Episode 05: Snake Bit
Episode 06: Dorm of the Dead
Episode 07: Planted
Episode 08: Night of the Hunt
Episode 09: Yaaaawn
Episode 10: Deeper Underground
Episode 11: Arklay Laboratory
Episode 12: Finale

-------

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Reserved

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 01: The Beginning

Wow! What a mansion! Yes, while everything might look and occasionally sound bit odd, at least the perfect voice acting is still intact. As for the problem with the title screen FMV I mentioned, basically what happens there is that the Saturn changes resolutions when it plays the FMV and that wreaks havoc on modern displays as well as video scalers and capture devices, causing sync to drop momentarily. On a CRT, the title screen should look exactly the same as it did on the PlayStation!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 31, 2018

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Funnily enough, the Saturn version is what I played. Never touched the PS1 version or REmake.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Goodness. Those doors dont mask the load times in this version at all.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Goodness. Those doors dont mask the load times in this version at all.
They really don't. There is also a brief pause for loading when the game switches between an FMV and gameplay, which is pretty jarring.

Speaking of FMVs, the video quality also seems lower than on the PlayStation but even then the cutscene with the first zombie is still really effective. That scene is one of those things I thought the remake changed for the worse, because despite the mid-90s CGI's limitations the original manages to look a lot creepier in my opinion. It's the eye that does it, I think.

I'll put up a video of the PS1 Director's Cut at some point just in case someone watching this doesn't remember what the PS1 version actually looked like. Sure, you can easily look that up on Youtube so it's not something I'd particularly need to bother with, but since I'm doing this thing I might as well do it properly. :zpatriot:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 02: Dogs, Crows and Sandwiches

Ah yes, we've definitely got some iconic RE moments in this episode, presented in glorious Saturn-o-vision in all its blocky, mesh-transparency-effected splendor.

I do apologize for my terrible shooting, I know full well that zombies don't take damage while they're falling down. I slightly fumbled with the buttons and suddenly the zombie was right there, and I knew I was low on health so I just unloaded on him and his buddy.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I remember way back in the day, the Saturn was barely more common than the Jaguar - practically a mythical item.

I knew nobody who'd ever seen one, and rumors of the Saturn Resident Evil version were rampant. Naturally, these all centered on how much better than the Playstation version was, and how much less censored it was - according to these rumors, Barry's takedown of the zombie was supposed to be far more brutal, with each shot tearing large chunks off of it.

Rather laughable now.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, nobody here had a Saturn back then, although I briefly considered saving up for one because I liked Sega's arcade games (but didn't actually get one until 2013). I don't remember any weird rumors about the RE port, probably because most of us read games magazines and had at least some idea what the Saturn could actually do. Or maybe because nobody gave a poo poo about the Saturn at that point. Probably a combination of the two.

edit: If you want to learn more about how the Saturn handles graphics, Digital Foundry Retro's video on Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (whose Saturn version was an even more disappointing port than RE, considering that the Saturn was a 2D powerhouse) explains how the dual processor architecture works. Of course, since RE is a 3D game, things are a little bit more complicated than that. The Saturn famously used quads instead of triangles to create its 3D graphics, and DF Retro's Tomb Raider episode shows exactly what the developers at the time had to deal with.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 2, 2018

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
As a hard core Saturn fan as a kid this was one of the ports I never got to play along with SotN, interesting to finally see the differences now especially with a lack of fanboy goggles.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 03: (Don't Fear) The Keeper

Is that title pun completely awful? Of course it is, but at least I didn't name the episode after the most famous line in the Keeper's Diary. Why was he inside the wardrobe, anyway?

My habit of shooting every zombie I come across (and missing half of those shots due to general incompetence) nearly gets us in trouble, but at least those horrible creatures are dead now. Erm, dead... er? Double dead? Re-dead? Wait, definitely not that one. :gonk:

In other events, we have another enlightening discussion with Barry and find Forest Speyer from the S.T.A.R.S. Bravo Team. He's seen better days. Also, here is the version of the Forest cutscene with Barry (from the Director's Cut, not my upload). Apparently, you only get this version of the scene if you beeline for the balcony as soon as Barry returns to the dining room at the start of the game (EDIT: Nope, tested it myself and the scene didn't trigger. I'm sure there's a detailed set of instructions somewhere). By the way, the text on this episode's title card is meant to look blurrier than the prior ones, I didn't screw up any setting or anything. I just thought the sharp, brightly colored text on the first two cards clashed against the background image pretty hard, so I went with the artistic filter this time around.

edit: You know what, let's talk about Forest Speyer. Now of course he's a sharpshooter with a grenade launcher, which is either very dumb or very metal, possibly both, but that's not why I want to talk about him. No, what I'm actually wondering is why a generous amount of his blood is on the hallway floor and walls if he got pecked to death by crows out on the balcony. Did he get bitten by a zombie (we know he turns into one in the Director's Cut's Advanced mode and the Remake) or a Cerberus beforehand, and then crawl his way to the balcony where the crows finished him off? Or did he get pecked to near-death by the crows on the balcony, retreat to the hallway to bleed on the walls, and then go back to the balcony to die?

Forest's grenade launcher also comes with a full magazine, so either he never fired a shot while inside the mansion and had no spare ammo, or he used up all his ammo except these last six rounds. In all fairness, using a grenade launcher at close quarters is a rather ill-advised plan, especially against birds actively trying to peck your eyes out. :gibs: In any event, I think it's safe to say Forest wasn't very good at his job, which to be fair does apply to most people in Resident Evil. And yes, I'm pretty sure The Dark Id already went over all of this a decade ago and was much more entertaining than me while doing so, but whatever.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 8, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh no! A zombie burst from the closet! Cue the dramat- *splort!* ...or he can get killed effortlessly with a single shot and not be threatening at all. That works too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh man, the acting is... I can't describe it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Samovar posted:

Oh man, the acting is... I can't describe it.
Absolutely perfect is what it is. :magical:

I read an interview with Barry's voice actor, Barry Gjerde (the fact they share a first name is coincidental, and his original Norwegian name is Oddbjørn Egil Gjerde :black101:) a while ago, and while he agreed the line delivery in RE is pretty awful he also said he was only following the Japanese voice director's instructions because that is what you do as a professional voice actor. Yes, Barry's VA is a professional voice actor who has been doing voiceovers in Japan since 1993 and has appeared in many other games over the years. He was the narrator in Soul Blade! Anyway, blaming the script and the director is fair enough, but somehow I doubt either of those told him to say "Ohhh my Cod!!" in that Forest cutscene.

Also, the actor playing Barry in the FMVs is a different guy. That was actually an Australian schoolteacher named Gregory Smith who was teaching in Japan at the time, and he was quite literally picked off the street because he looked just like Barry. Apparently, some of Barry's lines were first recorded by Gregory, but the director didn't like his Australian accent and the rest is history.

Meanwhile, Jill's actor was just some high school girl they hired, and she was reportedly pretty miserable throughout the FMV shoot. That'd be why her "oh god I don't want to be here, I want to go home" face in the intro is so convincing.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Doc M posted:

Absolutely perfect is what it is. :magical:

*WORDS*

That's some interesting stuff. I don't know why, but I was under the impression due to the rather, uninformative credits, most of the FMV and VA cast's identities were lost to the sands of time? (Unless I'm confusing stories going off you saying Barry was played by a couple of people.)

I'm going to have to check out a few youtube videos to refresh my memory properly, but something is stirring in the back of my head screaming 'Of course!' on the info that the Soul Blade guy was Barry B though.

And I'm too lazy to check if the DarkId made reference to the sniper is in charge of the Grenade Launcher, but I'm pretty sure the guy (who I believe is a Goon) who made that novel length RE series story analysis 'guide' (basically a proto screenshot LP before LPs were a thing.) on GameFAQs did. Your Forest blood trail analysis might by honest to god original content however!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Paused posted:

That's some interesting stuff. I don't know why, but I was under the impression due to the rather, uninformative credits, most of the FMV and VA cast's identities were lost to the sands of time? (Unless I'm confusing stories going off you saying Barry was played by a couple of people.)
The RE fandom has done a pretty good job hunting down the actors, and I think Jill and Rebecca are the only ones nobody has found yet. Barry having two different actors is actually a recent discovery, as it was believed the "Gregory" mentioned in the credits was just a pseudonym for Barry Gjerde. The fact Gjerde is also a big bearded dude probably didn't help shake the misconception, but then he said in an interview (the same one I mentioned earlier, I believe) that he was not the guy in the FMVs and has never used the name "Gregory" in his career. Obviously, fans then started looking for this Gregory and eventually found him.

quote:

And I'm too lazy to check if the DarkId made reference to the sniper is in charge of the Grenade Launcher, but I'm pretty sure the guy (who I believe is a Goon) who made that novel length RE series story analysis 'guide' (basically a proto screenshot LP before LPs were a thing.) on GameFAQs did. Your Forest blood trail analysis might by honest to god original content however!
Most of what I know about Resident Evil's lore comes from The Dark Id mocking the poo poo out of it in his LPs, so that is probably where I got the sharpshooter with a grenade launcher thing as well. :v:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 8, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tony Snark posted:

As a hard core Saturn fan as a kid this was one of the ports I never got to play along with SotN, interesting to finally see the differences now especially with a lack of fanboy goggles.

While the changed visuals are striking, it's hearing the differences that's making this more than just another RE LP to me. That's not me spouting some dumb zen bullshit either; there are several (albeit very subtle) differences going on. The overly compressed, low-bitrate sound effects (which all sound like they're being recorded from behind a closed door) are the most obvious ones. Given the Saturn's supposed power, that poo poo's just jarring.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
holy poo poo. the sega fuckin saturn. goonspeed you!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

holy poo poo. the sega fuckin saturn. goonspeed you!
Oh hey, if it's not too much trouble, could I get the Saturn thread tag from Imp Zone for this LP? I've been meaning to PM one of you fine moderator folks about it, but I keep forgetting for some reason.

This also isn't the first time I'm playing weird Saturn stuff on the subforum, as a couple of years ago I recorded two episodes of PowerSlave for the casual LP thread! If you've never heard of Lobotomy Software's PowerSlave, it's kind of like an early version of Metroid Prime with an ancient Egypt theme and is easily one of the most impressive 3D games on the Saturn.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 9, 2018

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

While the changed visuals are striking, it's hearing the differences that's making this more than just another RE LP to me. That's not me spouting some dumb zen bullshit either; there are several (albeit very subtle) differences going on. The overly compressed, low-bitrate sound effects (which all sound like they're being recorded from behind a closed door) are the most obvious ones. Given the Saturn's supposed power, that poo poo's just jarring.

I don't have great speakers and switched to headphones after reading this and yipes, just yipes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Doc M posted:

Oh hey, if it's not too much trouble, could I get the Saturn thread tag from Imp Zone for this LP? I've been meaning to PM one of you fine moderator folks about it, but I keep forgetting for some reason.

i'll see what i can do

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Doc M posted:

Meanwhile, Jill's actor was just some high school girl they hired, and she was reportedly pretty miserable throughout the FMV shoot. That'd be why her "oh god I don't want to be here, I want to go home" face in the intro is so convincing.

huh, I guess that is cheaper than getting someone who is at least in their 20s, like Jill is said to be

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Doc M posted:

The RE fandom has done a pretty good job hunting down the actors, and I think Jill and Rebecca are the only ones nobody has found yet.

I'm mocking stereotypes here, but good lord, wouldn't you think it be the opposite way around.

You have a link to this interview, and/or any other such things from the original cast to hand?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Paused posted:

You have a link to this interview, and/or any other such things from the original cast to hand?
Sure, here you go:

RE Database's Barry Gjerde interview (scroll down for English): http://www.residentevildatabase.com/entrevista-com-barry-gjerde-dublador-de-barry-burton-em-re1-1996/

RE Database's Gregory Smith interview (ditto): http://www.residentevildatabase.com/entrevista-com-gregory-smith-o-ator-de-barry-burton-em-resident-evil/

Raccoon S.T.A.R.S - The Resident Evil Live Actors: https://raccoonstars.blogspot.com/2017/10/this-blog-is-dedicated-to-live-actors.html

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tony Snark posted:

I don't have great speakers and switched to headphones after reading this and yipes, just yipes.

Bizarrely (yet understandably), the sound quality for cutscene dialogue (along with zombie moans-n-groans and Jill shouting "wuah!" when something cold and clammy grabs her face) is all roughly on-par with the PlayStation version. I guess even whatever idiot was in charge of needlessly compressing the gently caress out of the sound effects at least had the sense to not have every cutscene sounding like everyone's talking into a pillow.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Doc M posted:

Sure, here you go:

Cheers! Fun little read.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 04: Ouch

Terrible demons? More like terrible control of the character on my part. I blundered my way right into those zombies. I could blame the Saturn's D-pad being worse for tank controls than the one on the PlayStation controller as it is very easy to accidentally hit a diagonal direction here, but I won't make excuses for my mistakes.

In any case, now that we've got the Armor Key we've got more of the mansion open to us, so we spend most of today's episode exploring the rooms and picking up items. Finally, we encounter yet another S.T.A.R.S. member who is in a bad way, in this case Richard Aiken who is the Bravo Team's... wait for it... communications expert. So, of course he has the worst voice acting in the entire game! Next time we'll go and find him something for that snake venom poisoning of his, although frankly I'm not sure that is going to do much considering his upper body is about 50% snake bite at this point.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 05: Snake Bit

I am joined by ChaosArgate as we finish up the first section of Resident Evil. We also discover that rushing to bring Richard the serum might not have been the best idea in the world, but our protagonist powers at least ensure we can shrug off a bite from a giant snake and keep on trucking. And yes, now that you mention it, Yawn's (that's what the snake is called) color palette is rather unfortunately chosen, although I don't recall him looking quite this much like... well... a giant turd monster in the PlayStation version.

By the way, one interesting thing I've noticed when it comes to the Saturn rendering transparency effects is that all the character shadows use proper alpha transparency instead of dithering. You can see it pretty well on Yawn's shadow on the title card image. Another interesting detail I've picked up on is the way Jill's shadow interacts with the pools of blood left by dead enemies, as the blood disappears when Jill's shadow crosses it. I'm guessing this is a limitation of the Saturn's VDP2 processor's handling of texture and alpha layers. If you watch the Symphony of the Night video I posted earlier, you can see a similar thing going on with the alpha effects in Guardian Heroes.

On a technical note about the video itself, it appears ChaosArgate's audio went through some pretty aggressive noise removal or something on his end, so some of his commentary cuts out earlier than it should. Sorry about that!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 12, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh no, you missed the Shotgun Shells in Yawn's room!

Nice to see you didn't do my usual trick while retrieving the serum of first going through the item box to sort out the inventory, and then leaving the room without actually taking the serum... I've done that so many loving times when streaming it's embarrassing. As a kid I hated how you'd use the serum on Richard, only for him to just go ahead and kick the bucket anyway, wasting it in the process. Even now it irks me as a near-pointless fetch-quest that only pays off for players if they're dumb enough to get lost along the way so that Richard dies before you get back.

Guardhouse should be fun to look at, with all its dark scenery. In particular the Beehive room.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Oh no, you missed the Shotgun Shells in Yawn's room!
For some reason I thought those were put there in the remake. :eng99:

quote:

Nice to see you didn't do my usual trick while retrieving the serum of first going through the item box to sort out the inventory, and then leaving the room without actually taking the serum... I've done that so many loving times when streaming it's embarrassing. As a kid I hated how you'd use the serum on Richard, only for him to just go ahead and kick the bucket anyway, wasting it in the process. Even now it irks me as a near-pointless fetch-quest that only pays off for players if they're dumb enough to get lost along the way so that Richard dies before you get back.
At least in the remake he'll stay alive long enough to get killed by Yawn or Neptune later, and also has the courtesy to drop his assault shotgun.

quote:

Guardhouse should be fun to look at, with all its dark scenery. In particular the Beehive room.
Yeah. I haven't recorded the rest of the game yet because I'm waiting for a better-quality RGB cable from Retrogamingcables to arrive (which should get rid of the extra video noise), but that part is going to be dark and gritty indeed. I can't up my brightness or gamma any more because if I do, the whole image will look washed out or I'll lose detail from the brighter areas of the screen while the dark stays just as dark.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Just finished up recording the next batch of episodes, and at this point I would like to mention that the second Yawn fight is bullshit. :argh: My "bring a bunch of full heals, tank the hits and hope he dies before you run out of healing" tactic worked eventually, but that was easily the most frustrated I've been thus far. The lack of autoaim really didn't help.

Apparently there's a way to completely cheese him with the knife if you position yourself right, but I can't say I thought of trying that.

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I had this game on the saturn as a kid. I recall certain enemies being extremely difficult, such as hunters frequently taking 4+ shotgun shells to drop, or multiple magnum rounds. I was also stuck for weeks on the second yawn fight. Replaying the game on PC years later I was surprised at how easy some of those enemies were, and half convinced myself that the health of some enemies was increased in this version of the game.

I lost my saturn a long time ago, so was never able to figure out if I was just imagining things.

It was quite possibly just the lack of autoaim which was responsible.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hunters definitely seem tougher in the Saturn version, frequently taking two or even three grenade rounds or magnum bullets before dying. It's possible there's some wonky hitbox business going on with the lack of autoaim because I did manage to kill one Hunter with a single grenade when it was right up in Jill's face, but I know in the Director's Cut you can kill a Hunter with one grenade as long as that grenade is aimed in the monster's general direction.

edit: Apparently the Director's Cut made them weaker, not sure about the PC version though

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 14, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Doc M posted:

Just finished up recording the next batch of episodes, and at this point I would like to mention that the second Yawn fight is bullshit. :argh: My "bring a bunch of full heals, tank the hits and hope he dies before you run out of healing" tactic worked eventually, but that was easily the most frustrated I've been thus far. The lack of autoaim really didn't help.

Apparently there's a way to completely cheese him with the knife if you position yourself right, but I can't say I thought of trying that.

I find the easiest (fastest) way of dealing with Yawn is to simply go for a damage-race. Immediately take aim as soon as the 'intro' ends and blast the fucker with the Bazooka (preferably using those free acid rounds Barry leaves in the safe room under the stairs). Don't bother running around the room to avoid his attacks, just unload and waste the bitch ASAP.

Arson Fire posted:

I had this game on the saturn as a kid. I recall certain enemies being extremely difficult, such as hunters frequently taking 4+ shotgun shells to drop, or multiple magnum rounds. I was also stuck for weeks on the second yawn fight. Replaying the game on PC years later I was surprised at how easy some of those enemies were, and half convinced myself that the health of some enemies was increased in this version of the game.

I lost my saturn a long time ago, so was never able to figure out if I was just imagining things.

It was quite possibly just the lack of autoaim which was responsible.

Doc M posted:

Hunters definitely seem tougher in the Saturn version, frequently taking two or even three grenade rounds or magnum bullets before dying. It's possible there's some wonky hitbox business going on with the lack of autoaim because I did manage to kill one Hunter with a single grenade when it was right up in Jill's face, but I know in the Director's Cut you can kill a Hunter with one grenade as long as that grenade is aimed in the monster's general direction.

edit: Apparently the Director's Cut made them weaker, not sure about the PC version though

This is a Western-release thing; the difficulty was artificially inflated in the '96 version for NTSC and PAL (at least as far as enemy durability goes; all the basic enemies got this buff, it's just difficult to really see it when the zombies are still susceptible to headshots) to stop the game being easily finished over a rental weekend. It affects both the PlayStation and Saturn releases, but not the PC port (because you couldn't rent PC games!). When Director's Cut was released Capcom went ahead and reset this nonsense for the Original/Standard mode to match the original Japanese difficulty, while keeping the amped-up enemy health as a feature for Advanced/Arrange.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 14, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Ah, that makes sense. I haven't seen the initial western PlayStation release since 1997, so I forgot all pre-DC western console releases had the buffed-up enemies along with the lack of autoaim. Gotta love good old-fashioned artificial difficulty.

Capcom actually went back and changed the Greatest Hits/DualShock/bad music version of the Director's Cut (which is the version I have for the PlayStation) to make it a little bit harder than the non-Greatest Hits release. The autoaim is still there, but ink ribbons are once again worth 2 instead of 3 and some of the enemies got buffed again. Not the Hunters, though; any grenade round still one-shots those guys.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 14, 2018

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Doc M posted:

It is done.

I was even able to get the tag permanently added to the subforum, so thank the admins for that!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

That's fantastic, thank you very much.

Also, now that I have the whole game recorded, I'd like to ask the thread's opinion on how I should handle deaths. Originally I was going to just include the one or two deaths that would occur on a normal playthrough, but since this version is so much harder than the Director's Cut I ended up dying quite a bit more than I expected. So, would you like me to keep the deaths in the episodes (maybe do a sped-up montage with the second Yawn fight) or just cut them out and pretend I'm vaguely competent at this game? :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Keep whatever deaths necessary to maintain flow of video. Cut the rest and stitch them together at the end with a death reel complete with silly music and a death counter. at least that is what i would do

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Keep the "best" deaths, that is to say any deaths that are either comical (for whatever reason, such as going for a headshot with an empty shotgun) or bullshit (Hunter headswipes always fit this latter category). The rest can be a compilation at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Several of my deaths were to Yawn, so I ended up putting together a nice sped-up montage of my attempts with some fitting musical accompaniment (not Yakety Sax) and a death counter. Most of the rest of the deaths will be at the end of the relevant videos.

• Locked thread