Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
When taping off machined surfaces like that you can use a hardened dowel pin or something similar for trimming. Just apply some pressure and trace around the edge. The corner on the flat surface is usually enough to do the cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea that's what I do but with a metal putty knife. Way faster than using a razor blade cutting all around them.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

NOW you tell me!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

You appreciate the easy way more once you've done it the hard way :shrug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
At least you painted your motor. I was impatient :(

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CommieGIR posted:

At least you painted your motor. I was impatient :(

Twice!

Looks great so far. Are you going to do another time lapse of putting it back in, Ferremit?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

builds character posted:

Looks great so far. Are you going to do another time lapse of putting it back in, Ferremit?

More than likely. Didn’t bother doing assembly time lapses because no one wants to watch me spend 3hrs standing in front of a parts washer trying to scrub outback red muck off alloy parts.

Or installing pistons three times...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well.. Spose its time for a bit of a catch all update. Current status- Waiting on a parts order, then HOPEFULLY if that turns up by friday, I should be able to get the motor buttoned up on saturday and swung into the car on sunday! Hopefully!

Since we last spoke i've....

Spent several days tidying up nearly a decades worth of electrical stuff i've added in under the dash. Actually done things like created a switched gauge circuit that powers all my gauges and meters and boost controllers etc instead of just hacking them into whatever handy ACC switched wires I could find in the loom....

Installed a switched battery voltage gauge. Kinda critical in a 4wd cos if your aux battery goes below 11.5v, your beer goes warm!

Spent WAY too long converting a Camry fusebox into an aux fusebox, complete with relays and main supply fuses.

Went hunting for something to clean up all the alloy pipework on the motor. Got recommended this. Took one look at the active ingredient and decided to just accept that my pipework is going to be stained...

Parts order came in from Toyota! Finally got a new cam thrust plate. Tolerance was .1-.2mm, max thrust on the cam was .3mm

Sweet! Dont need to drop $900 on a new cam!

So that meant I could get the entire top end built up- Minus injectors cos I still dont have the seats or O rings or bleed off rail washers. Thats in the order Im waiting on

Finally decided to do something bout my 13yr old stickers on the car...

Caramel wheels make a huge loving mess. And the one I got stained my bloody paint yellow so I had to cut and polish the bastard thing!

Discovered that Amayama needs to invest in a better spell checker...

And got my two timing bolts so I was able to finish up all the timing gears and get the timing belt installed! Now the motor actually spins as one assembly! Without crunchy noises!

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
The thing you did with the bolts a cardboard is genius :cheers:

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
If you ever need spares for that Nokia hands free kit, I have a complete one in a box... Somewhere in my shed.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I think ive got about 4 left NOS that they threw out from work. We used to fit them to all our fleet vehicles and had kits in stock waiting for vehicle change overs, then the new fleet vehicles we started to get all came with bluetooth stereos so we never bothered to fit them any more!

My order of parts never arrived cos our postal service is poo poo. So im officially dead in the water till monday now. Pretty much all I can do is clean out the sump and get that ready to install, fit the rear main seal in and build a 700mm long extension bar for my torque wrench to torque that front crank pulley bolt up (430nm of torque- Its literally torqued to the output of the engine when it was stock!) but thats it until my parts turn up on monday whenever the post comes in.

Means I'll have to go back to my wiring hell and finish off my aux wiring. Joy... Oh, and wire in the boost cut defender too... cos smart old me ordered a new turbo with a wastegate thats got a spring thats 17psi. Boost cut is 16.5psi :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

So. Worked until I ran out of parts. Still havent fitted the rear main seal, cos its a bitch to get too with the motor on the stand, but i'll have to do it before the sump goes back on, so that might be tomorrow mornings job while I wait for the postman.

Finally got my arse into gear and finished off 90% of the wiring. Still gotta wire in the switch for the spot lights and light bar, because I decided today to order a custom made switch from Lightforce that will allow me to switch the lights individually, but that wont be here till the end of the week at the soonest, so I'll probably just twist and tape the HID's to the existing switch for now. Then I should probably finish installing the boost controller.

Saturday night- Pulled the ECU and Dtronic piggy back loom out of the car

Then cut into what is essentially an irreplaceable loom to install the Turbo Smart Fuel Cut Defender 2 unit.

Reinstalled the ECU back into the car. The FCD2 will end up ziptied up under the ECU behind the glovebox but for now its hanging out until I can get it tuned in to the correct settings.

Then today was the day I finally tackled the aux wiring. Took All. Freaking. Day. but its finally in. Worth it in the end tho, cos man its so much neater than ANY aftermarket option.

Then I just had to change all the labels inside it. That was tedious and fiddly.

Then I spent the evening cleaning up the shed, so I actually have all of my tools in one spot, and I can get into the shed without having to jump over things. Tomorrow is the day that HOPEFULLY the motor is buttoned up and dropped back into the car again, then probably a solid evening or two after work getting it all reassembled before first start.

Hoping to have it back on the road by the end of the week at this rate. Would be really nice to NOT have to drive the old hilux too much longer unless i WANT to drive it for some ute related reasons.

Car came off the road on the 30th of July. Im itching to get back on the road. Just gotta remember to register it first cos no point paying for two months rego when its been broken in the shed!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well, theres been big developments!

Monday morning my parts FINALLY turned up. Still pissed about that.

Which meant I could finally finish up the motor!

Changed out all the big end bolts and did the final torque to yield.

Reinstalled the injectors, injector lines and return bleed off line

And got everything finalised and bolted down!

Then came the big moment.

Off the engine stand, back on the gantry crane! Flywheel and 1300nm clutch reinstalled.

Then after about 2hrs of wrestling with the bastard thing trying to get it in under the firewall lip and lined up on the input shaft, it was finally back in the engine bay!

I had to stop after that and go to a solicitors meeting to finalise organising a will and poo poo, cos thats something you really should do by the time your in your mid 30's... and then shopping, but I resisted the temptation to thrash on the car last night till the early hours of the morning and then call into work sick.

Which went well for me...

Then it was full steam ahead when I got home tonight.

Installed the new braided -3AN line for the clutch slave cylinder to delete a stupid accumulator unit toyota fitted- Which did a brilliant job of accumulating air bubbles...

Wrestled the giant starter motor back in

And not long after dinner, the passenger side of the motor was done

I pulled the plug at 11pm, but the entire passenger side is done, the drivers side is about 1/3 done- all thats left on that side is the alternator, AC compressor and intake and turbo related bits to reinstall. Underneath I just have to wait until i've got power to the chassis again to release the centre diff lock and then I can finish installing the front drive shaft, but the exhaust and engine to gearbox braces are all in and torqued up, then its just out the front of the motor- radiator, fan, belts, hoses and refit all the wiring.

At this rate, by tomorrow night i'll be cranking with the fueling disabled to get oil pressure throughout the entire motor, then cranking with fueling enabled to bleed out the pump and injector lines, then putting the crossover pipe on and starting it. Might actually have to register it tomorrow!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Uvwwshw10

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Hopefully it all comes together for you!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

You Am I posted:

Hopefully it all comes together for you!

If it does, so will we.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

boxen posted:

If it does, so will we.

Well hold onto your jizz rags cos...

https://youtu.be/cZv3Glw88_A

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ferremit posted:

That puts a smile on my face as I'm going to bed after a stressful day. CONGRATULATIONS!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
gently caress yeah, nice job man.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Well done.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thank gently caress that works indeed. Well done.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Drove it to work today. Two issues have popped up- the front main seal appears to be leaking, but thats not a HUGE deal to fix- just gotta remove the balancer to get to it which isnt a big task and it only seems to be making about 12psi of boost, and it feels really doughy- Kinda like the wastegate is getting pushed open early. I think that might be down to the preload on the wastegate not being right after I changed over the housings. Again, not a big fix, but the wastegate is between the block and turbo so its probably a turbo off job to get too, which means exhaust manifold off too.

I'll park it up till the weekend and deal with it then- After a week straight of thrashing on it till midnight im exhaustipated.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Ferremit posted:

Fuckyea awesome!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ferremit posted:

:bisonyes:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Ferremit posted:

OIL PRESSHAAAAAA!
:gizz:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

sharkytm posted:

That puts a smile on my face as I'm going to bed after a stressful day. CONGRATULATIONS!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hell yea, blast off! Time to unbend the engine stand.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

it only seems to be making about 12psi of boost, and it feels really doughy- Kinda like the wastegate is getting pushed open early. I think that might be down to the preload on the wastegate not being right after I changed over the housings. Again, not a big fix, but the wastegate is between the block and turbo so its probably a turbo off job to get too, which means exhaust manifold off too.

I'll park it up till the weekend and deal with it then- After a week straight of thrashing on it till midnight im exhaustipated.
Would it be easier to put an electronic boost controller in-line with the wastegate hose? That should allow it to only apply pressure at the moment required to "snap" it open, rather than it getting a bit incontinent at lower boost.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Would it be easier to put an electronic boost controller in-line with the wastegate hose? That should allow it to only apply pressure at the moment required to "snap" it open, rather than it getting a bit incontinent at lower boost.

Its got that, but if the wastegate spring isnt putting enough pressure on the wastegate flap then no boost controller in the world is going to help you if at 1300rpm your developing enough manifold pressure to blow the flap open.

Gonna order a mittyvac cos they're less than $100 for a kit (and useful for other things too) so i can accurately pressure test this kinda poo poo. Im not fussed bout the 12psi for now, its probably not a BAD thing for the initial 1000km run in period to be running essentially stock boost, but the oil leaks gotta be fixed before I can drive it properly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Is it a positive pressure wastegate? Most Diesel turbos use positive pressure to open the wastegate, provided by the cold side.

Edit: Confirmed from your photos, that's a positive pressure wastegate, it works off boost side pressures. Some positive pressure wastegates also have a nipple for providing boost to 'adjust' when the wastegate opens, or you can use a choke to limit how much boost makes it to the wastegate and use it to dial in pressure.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 13, 2018

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well dug into the oil leak today....

Looks for all intents and purposes that its a main seal leak. So I pulled the balancer. its wet around its perimiter, but dry at the inside where the seal is. So I dug deeper.

saw a puddle of oil on top of the timing housings.. so dug deeper... and deeper.... and deeper.

And now im faced with this:

Not exactly where I wanted to be 48hrs after getting it onto the road, but it looks like the oil pump was leaking on the high pressure side- theres an area of casting on the block thats external to the housings that had a pool of oil in it thats been there long enough to soften the paint up. So tomorrow i'll go back through and reinstall everything carefully. Looks like the o-ring seal around the oil pump might have been slightly not set right, so it might get a smear of RTV to hold it in place and help it seal up properly.

At least its not a major failure thats going to require extra parts!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

Its got that, but if the wastegate spring isnt putting enough pressure on the wastegate flap then no boost controller in the world is going to help you if at 1300rpm your developing enough manifold pressure to blow the flap open.
We may be talking at cross purposes here, but it looked from the pictures, as Commie says, that it's a straight connection from the coldside to the actuator, so as boost rises it can start opening the wastegate. If you use a boost controller it should be able to prevent it seeing any boost pressure on the actuator until you want it to, and be less inclined to do that. Or, as he said, there may (should?) be facility to bleed in opposing pressure to tweak things.

I don't really mess with this stuff, frankly I'm a bit out of date on turbo poo poo, but if your manifold pressure is opening the wastegate before you want it to, manipulating the effective pressure at the actuator seems like the immediate fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah, I stuffed around with it today with the air gun and compressor and i don’t think it’s the pressure onto the actuator that’s causing it to pop early, it’s the pressure in the manifold physically forcing the wastegate flap open and bypassing the turbine. You can get the flap to start to open with a comically low pressure on the actuator so I don’t think the spring pressure is there to hold it to 17psi.

I’m gonna contact the manufacturer on Monday and ask them if it’s something I’ve done in the setup, but once I get the mityvac I’ll be able to more accurately check opening pressures and adjust it properly.

• Locked thread