Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

"He respected the dignity inherent in every life, a dignity that does not stop at borders and cannot be erased by dictators," President George W. Bush said. "He was honorable, always recognizing that his opponents were still patriots and human beings."

:shuckyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

https://twitter.com/mark_mcgrath/status/1035405858392293376

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I respect John McCain for not taking the easy way out when he was captured as a POW. I don't respect John McCain for raising a shithead like Meghan and giving Sarah Palin a national platform for her special strain of stupid.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It might've not been the easy way out but it was an easy way to milk sympathy and get idiots to respect you and build a political career warmongering at every opportunity.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It might've not been the easy way out but it was an easy way to milk sympathy and get idiots to respect you and build a political career warmongering at every opportunity.

Also his history of getting away plane crashing and even better treatment in prison was a result of his silver spoon family connections.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

etalian posted:

Also his history of getting away plane crashing and even better treatment in prison was a result of his silver spoon family connections.

I mean... the dude really did get permanently crippled by torture

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Inspector Hound posted:

I mean... the dude really did get permanently crippled by torture

Good.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Yeah, I'll poo poo on McCain for all the awful things he's done and policies he's sponsored. He's not a good person. That doesn't prevent him from doing something good. He could have let himself be a pawn traded for concessions. He didn't. Dude stayed with the other POWs, got tortured, and crippled from it.

I'll agree that he spun it to his advantage a la Cotton Hill's shins, but I'm not going to imagine that he was sitting in the POW camp thinking to himself, "This is definitely going to help my poll numbers when I run for office."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

No

t0aine
Apr 7, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, I'll poo poo on McCain for all the awful things he's done and policies he's sponsored. He's not a good person. That doesn't prevent him from doing something good. He could have let himself be a pawn traded for concessions. He didn't. Dude stayed with the other POWs, got tortured, and crippled from it.

I'll agree that he spun it to his advantage a la Cotton Hill's shins, but I'm not going to imagine that he was sitting in the POW camp thinking to himself, "This is definitely going to help my poll numbers when I run for office."
*the other POWs from an invading army who should have been killed outright

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

If he was a pawn traded for concessions it would have been better for Vietnam.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Will jobnhn mcain be cremated

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Kurtofan posted:

Will jobnhn mcain be cremated

yes and the urn will be put in a kaaba in dc and we will all be expecteed to make a hajj to it

allahu aackbar

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bogus Adventure posted:

I respect John McCain for not taking the easy way out when he was captured as a POW. I don't respect John McCain for raising a shithead like Meghan and giving Sarah Palin a national platform for her special strain of stupid.

Sarah Palin named as his running mate was kind of a watershed moment. Not that american politics was sane before this, but the loving retardation she normalized broke a lot of barriers

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bogus Adventure posted:

People are expressing their admiration for McCain particularly when compared to trump is understandable, but very flawed. I think the concept many people are struggling with is as follows;

John McCain had a set of ethics that he followed diligently. They were loving lovely and monstrous, but not uncommon for men of his generation who came from privilege. He was a hawk who could not empathize with people who weren't like him, but he embodied everything that was vicious and xenophobic about America.

Donald trump has no code whatsoever. He only cares about himself. The idea of a man like this who is so cynical and without any ethos terrifies and angers people. It's like chaotic evil and lawful evil.

Fuckem both

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BONE DOG posted:

People are expressing their admiration for McCain particularly when compared to trump is understandable, but very flawed. I think the concept many people are struggling with is as follows;

John McCain had a set of ethics that he followed diligently. They were loving lovely and monstrous, but not uncommon for men of his generation who came from privilege. He was a hawk who could not empathize with people who weren't like him, but he embodied everything that was vicious and xenophobic about America.

Donald trump has no code whatsoever. He only cares about himself. The idea of a man like this who is so cynical and without any ethos terrifies and angers people. It's like chaotic evil and lawful evil.

Fuckem both

lawful evil vs chaotic evil

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
more like easy to ignore versus hard to ignore.

really it’s peoples selfishness manifesting.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1035921505408954379

it's about time he did something presidential

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

lawful evil vs chaotic evil

Yeah lawful being mccain and chaotic being trump wrong order on my part

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Random bombing of middle east country?

Hopefully the curse of Assad takes out Trump next.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

more like easy to ignore versus hard to ignore.

really it’s peoples selfishness manifesting.

more like decades of media conditioning about are troops and never speaking ill of the dead even if they super deserve it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yinlock posted:

more like decades of media conditioning about are troops and never speaking ill of the dead even if they super deserve it

people were pining for McCain and even Bush before this. They are perfectly fine with what Trump does but he isn’t subtle or sucks up to them. so they can’t do what comes natural and pretend everything is fine

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

cool dance moves posted:

yes and the urn will be put in a kaaba in dc and we will all be expecteed to make a hajj to it

allahu aackbar

Should have lenined him imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
He went golfing to avoid tweeting loml

• Locked thread