Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I'd like this game a lot more if it wasn't so up its own arse about being an adventure game, every other line is about 'game logic' and 'animation budget'. It makes what could have been a huge sprawling adventure feel a but trite, which is a shame. A few extra voice actors couldn't have hurt either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
As mentioned before, this game does some weird mashing together of elements from different points in the books. The Patrician is an odd mix of Vetinari and a previous Patrician from the earliest books, who didn't have much of a personality and was mostly just threatening.

On that note, though, here's our last three recipes related to the game. There are more in the book, and I'll do another post with some of Nanny Ogg's ..."special" recipes, but none of the others are connected to places or people that appear in this game. You'll just have to locate a copy yourself if you want to know how to make a classic Sto Plains Slumpie or Leonard of Quirm's recipe for a cheese sandwich.

Nanny Ogg's Cookbook III - Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, Cut-Me-Own-Hand-Off D'blah, Patrician Havelock Vetinari

CMOT Dibbler's Sausage Inna Bun

No visit to Ankh-Morpork is complete without a taste of one of Mr. Dibbler's famous pies or sausages-in-a-bun. Then it is sometimes completed very, very quickly. Amazingly, though, people will go back and try them again, as if to make sure their memory isn't playing tricks on them. It isn't.
  • 1.4kg top-quality pork, minced*
  • 450g breadcrumbs
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • water
  • sausage skins
  • buns of your choice

Mix all the sausage ingredients in a bowl. Add enough water to achieve a nice, squidgy texture and fill the sausage skins with the result. Twist into links. Grill or fry and serve hot in freshly baked buns.

*Note from Mr. Dibbler: I always use good-quality pork, with about two-thirds lean meat to one-third fat. I insist that any skin, gristle, or other dubious parts of the beast are excluded from the mixture.

Klatchian Delight

• rice paper (a 25g packet is ample)
  • 300ml water
  • 50g gelatine or veggie alternative
  • 450g caster sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon pink food colouring
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon flavouring
  • 1/4 teaspoon rum flavouring
Different colours and flavours may be used, but these are traditional.

Line a deep baking tray with a double layer of rice paper. Be careful to leave no gaps or your delight will stick to the tray. Bring the water to a boil and dissolve the gelatine in it. Add the sugar and lemon juice and stir until dissolved. Carry on boiling and stirring for 20 minutes, lowering the heat if necessary. Remove from heat and let stand for about 10 minutes. Add the colouring and flavourings and mix.

Using a ladle or large spoon, transfer the liquid into the lined tray, it should reach a depth of about a centimeter. Leave to set in a cool, dry place for 24 hours. When ready, cut into 6cm x 3cm rectangular pieces and fold those over to form squares so that the rice paper is on the outside. Alternatively, cut into strips and use as fly paper. Those looking for a traditional "as sold by Cut-Me-Own-Hand-Off D'blah" look may wish to sprinkle with small blackcurrants in lieu of flies. A dusting of icing sugar is also a nice finisher.

Bread and Water (Recipe kindly donated by Lord Vetinari, Patrician of Ankh-Morpork)

• 3 whole, freshly baked loaves
  • 1 flagon freshly drawn water

However efficient a ruler may be, there is always someone, isn't there, who feels that his diet might be improved by some artificial additive, such as arsenic. Many rulers have sought ways to avoid this. This is one classical method:

Have sufficient dough made to make three loaves of bread. Bake the resulting loaves in an oven. Both these operations should be supervised by at least two reliable employees.

Select one of the three loaves (The other two must be eaten by the baker). Slice it. Select slices at random and have these tested in your presence by members of the Palace staff (or members of your family if you are not fortunate enough to live in a palace). From the remaining slices, select one; place this on a plate selected at random from the kitchens. Have the remaining plates licked by the kitchen staff; pause to observe any negative reactions to this operation, or to the earlier slice-testing.

In the meantime, have a bucket of water drawn from the well. Have this boiled, poured into a flagon and cooled. From this flagon pour four glasses of water. Select three at random and have them drunk by different members of the Palace staff from those who are testing the bread/plates.

You might now believe that you have a glass of water and some slices of bread that are free of poison, in which case you have failed to grasp the situation. There are such things as antidotes, which even a trainee poisoner will have taken as a precautionary measure. And then of course there was the case of Lord Samphire: the bread passed the test, and so did the water. The problem came to light only if you ate the bread and then drank the water.

Here is my preferred method, which has served me in good stead.
  1. Arrange the politics of the country over a period of years so that poisoning you will be more trouble than it is worth and interfere with the private ambitions of too many people just at the moment.
  2. Make sure there are among the city's civil service some unpredictable men who will consider your poisoning a personal insult against them, and generally cause a lot of fuss.
  3. Then eat what you please.

This is what he says, and I for one believe it. It is not good etiquette to look at one of his sausages and say "woof woof!" or "neighhh!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dareon posted:

As mentioned before, this game does some weird mashing together of elements from different points in the books. The Patrician is an odd mix of Vetinari and a previous Patrician from the earliest books, who didn't have much of a personality and was mostly just threatening.

I believe Pratchett always said that the Patrician in the early books was Vetinari, he just hadn't nailed down the character yet and wasn't as good a writer.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tiggum posted:

I believe Pratchett always said that the Patrician in the early books was Vetinari, he just hadn't nailed down the character yet and wasn't as good a writer.

yep, "As written by an incompetent writer" was his own words.

Most fans use the events of Thief of Time to handwave some of the series' early weirdness including the Patrician not being very Vetinari-like.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Dareon posted:

Thank you for taking your time out to share these recipes with us. I appreciate it very much!