Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
What are these games?

They're point-and-click adventure games starring the, umm, loveable character Rincewind from the Discworld series of books. Both of these games feature events, locations and characters found in the books (published before the games releases in 1995 & 1997 respectively) that fit in and around the game's storylines. It's been a number of years since I last played these games so it's going to be a bit of a nostalgia trip for me, there's a lot of fond things that I remember but a lot more that I have forgotten.

Do I need to read the books beforehand?

Not at all, it does help with the context in some cases though.

What is this LP all about?

I'll be playing both games from start to finish and (trying) to go through everything with a fine-toothed comb. I'll be posting one or two videos a week depending on my work schedule. I'm using ScummVM to play the game, there may be some subtitle\audio glitches, these games

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Aw man, I absolutely love the books. These games were way before my time, so I look forward to them.

Edit: Noone sounds like what I imagined them to sound like :( Also, the Librarian gets mad not because you call him names, but because you make lovely monkey jokes instead of lovely ape jokes :colbert:

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 2, 2018

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I only played a bit of the second game, I can't wait to see that one in action.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'd forgotten how bad this game was. Like, I knew some of the puzzles were obnoxious, but the writing and acting are (mostly) terrible as well.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
how are you getting it to run at the right pace? Anytime I've tried at intro has a lot of long pauses as it loads lines.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

mateo360 posted:

how are you getting it to run at the right pace? Anytime I've tried at intro has a lot of long pauses as it loads lines.

I followed the advice here:

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=9130&sid=e7656f86d7e9e8e787ebfc0be933cac2

I copied every file in every directory into one folder and it seems to be running fine so far apart from the occasional subtitle clipping.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh hell yes, I am so here for this.

Awesome books, terrible games with a few good moments. :allears:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I followed the advice here:

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=9130&sid=e7656f86d7e9e8e787ebfc0be933cac2

I copied every file in every directory into one folder and it seems to be running fine so far apart from the occasional subtitle clipping.

Yeah I've done that and it's still slower. There is a good seven seconds before the subtitle disappears and moves on to the next set of animations or lines.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

psst, you should link this on the New LPs thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722993

There are a lot of Discworld goons who will want to see these.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

mateo360 posted:

Yeah I've done that and it's still slower. There is a good seven seconds before the subtitle disappears and moves on to the next set of animations or lines.

I'm not sure what to tell you to be honest. I'll assume that you've already played around with the subtitle speed in the options. All I can suggest is making a post on the ScummVM forums as the people on there will know a lot more about the program than I do.

Black Robe posted:

psst, you should link this on the New LPs thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722993

There are a lot of Discworld goons who will want to see these.

Thank you, I'll do that now.

LumberFlapJack
Dec 19, 2011
Oh excellent!
I have just moved and haven't checked the forum for a while. I love point'n'clicks and Discworld. The combination of those two
makes a very challenging and at times very confusing game. I have played both of these myself. I think I played at least the first one before actually reading any of the books. After reading some of the books a lot in the game made more sense. I remember being all but unable to do anything in the first game without a walkthrough. The second is a bit more forgiving. Both have brilliant humor and story, though.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I, too, love me some Discworld! I never played either of these, but I'm looking forward to seeing some of the weirdness on display.

Hearing two characters seemingly voiced by Tony Robinson is a bit concerning this early on, and not entirely a good thing. I don't think his voice is a good fit for the Dean at all. Eric Idle's doing a pretty good job as Rincewind, though, I thought. If only "That doesn't work" and "Did you get the number of that donkey cart" didn't crop up as often as they do.

LumberFlapJack
Dec 19, 2011
Yeah, as I remember it, the game only has a few voice actors and Eric Idle only does Rincewind. One of the others is Tony Robinson, can't remember for sure who the others are. To me Idle is *the* Rincewind. Even when I read the books I hear Rincewind's dialogue in Idle's voice. The major disappointment in voice actin in this game for me has always been Death, whom I always hear in my head as Christopher Lee.

I didn't remember how the first twenty minutes may seem completely nonsensical if the player doesn't know about Discworld books, Monty Python or British humour in general. All these help at least somewhat with all the references and style of writing.

I am enjoying myself after the first episode.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I remember these games as being absolute concentrated 90s adventure game bullshit. I don't know how anyone completed them without a walkthrough. Good luck, RBD.

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

LumberFlapJack posted:

Yeah, as I remember it, the game only has a few voice actors and Eric Idle only does Rincewind. One of the others is Tony Robinson, can't remember for sure who the others are. To me Idle is *the* Rincewind. Even when I read the books I hear Rincewind's dialogue in Idle's voice. The major disappointment in voice actin in this game for me has always been Death, whom I always hear in my head as Christopher Lee.

I didn't remember how the first twenty minutes may seem completely nonsensical if the player doesn't know about Discworld books, Monty Python or British humour in general. All these help at least somewhat with all the references and style of writing.

I am enjoying myself after the first episode.

I'm pretty sure John Pertwee is one; heck, I want to say he does Death.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I performed a quick search, there's only actually five voice actor's for the entire game and Eric Idle only provides the voice for only one of them:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199467/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Rob Brydon and Kate Robbins do some sterling voice acting. As much as I love Jon Pertwee and Tony Robinson, their voices are pretty distinct, but they definitely try to add variety. I've recorded another episode which I'll upload in a couple of days time, my work schedule is going to be busy for the next few days. There was a moment during the recording where I encountered one voice actor several times in the space of two or three minutes which was an experience.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, Discworld 2 was one of my favourite games as a kid. I never did play the first one. It looks a fair bit scrappier than the sequel, but maybe that's just nostalgia and it'll be a less clear difference to see them now!

It's funny to hear the voices of Death and Windle Poons, who appear in the sequel but sound so different. The Archchancellor sounds exactly the same though. Is he one of Brydon's? Rob Brydon is a fantastic voice actor who did all the Discworld games.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Kind of surprised at Death's dialogue not being in all caps. Maybe it made it too hard on the eyes compared to when it's in a book.

I remember my brother playing the 2nd game. I think I remember the basic objective, plus a couple tiny non-important things.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Does anyone know where in the books these take place time wise? It's looking like this one is taking place concurrently with the first Vimes book?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Does anyone know where in the books these take place time wise? It's looking like this one is taking place concurrently with the first Vimes book?

The first game is loosely based around the events in 'Guards! Guards!' The second game borrows heavily from 'Reaper Man' and 'Moving Pictures.'

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inferior posted:

I remember these games as being absolute concentrated 90s adventure game bullshit.
I never played much of the second one, but the first one definitely is.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Thank you for posting this in the New LP thread! I never knew about these games, but I absolutely adore Pratchett's works, so I look forward to seeing these for the first time.

LumberFlapJack
Dec 19, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The first game is loosely based around the events in 'Guards! Guards!' The second game borrows heavily from 'Reaper Man' and 'Moving Pictures.'

For all hardcore Pratchett readers the emphasis is on 'loosely' and 'borrows'. I think they've done a decent job on taking things from the books and making something that is different but still oddly similar.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I had two traditional point-and-click adventure games when I was a kid- Discworld and Monkey Island. Somehow I never managed to beat Monkey Island, but I had no problems tying a string to a worm to get an imp, or whatever other crazy thing this game made you do.

Looking forward to seeing the second game, which I never knew existed.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I played these games too much as a teen. They are absolutely frustrating in the finest vintage of Point And Clicks. Will you be doing the third game, Discworld Noir? That one's even rarer than part 2. Probably because it doesn't have Eric Idle and Rincewind at the helm.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Will you be doing the third game, Discworld Noir? That one's even rarer than part 2. Probably because it doesn't have Eric Idle and Rincewind at the helm.

It's the best one by far though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hey! RBD! Gonna look forward to this 'un. Even if the game is shite.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We meet several new characters and get to explore part of the city in this episode. This episode feels a little slow compared with what I feel like is to come. I'm expecting the next couple of episodes to be pretty dialogue heavy.

Also I think that I need to tweak the volume levels some more. It's been a while since my last LP and I'm using different software with which I'm still getting used too.

Choco1980 posted:

Will you be doing the third game, Discworld Noir?

I have it but I won't be doing it. Bacter covered it a few years ago and it's in the archive here: https://lparchive.org/Discworld-Noir/

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
I hate that god-damned Fool so very loving much.

OH CHUCKY CHUCKY CHUCKY

I love the books but the game is bringing back terrible memories.

(great LP)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'd forgotten the really annoying thing about the dialogue system in this game: the dialogue is not always ordered in the same way as the icons, so sometimes if you go left to right you hear the various pieces out of sequence. It's not always obvious, but sometimes it really is. And as far as I recall there's not even any value to letting you pick what order to hear things anyway since there's no way to know what topic each icon is going to cover and no way to know what's going to be helpful. It's just reducing the quality of the product for the sake of giving the appearance of more interactivity.

geri_khan posted:

I hate that god-damned Fool so very loving much.

OH CHUCKY CHUCKY CHUCKY
The absolute worst thing about this game and it's not even close.

Although the more of it I watch the more I find to hate. Just to pick a couple of examples from the latest video, the voice acting for Nanny Ogg and the Patrician is just atrocious. And it's painfully obvious that everyone but Rincewind is played by the same four people. Rob Brydon's better at disguising it than Tony Robinson or Jon Pertwee are, but there's still a distinct similarity to his characters.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I'd forgotten the really annoying thing about the dialogue system in this game: the dialogue is not always ordered in the same way as the icons, so sometimes if you go left to right you hear the various pieces out of sequence. It's not always obvious, but sometimes it really is. And as far as I recall there's not even any value to letting you pick what order to hear things anyway since there's no way to know what topic each icon is going to cover and no way to know what's going to be helpful. It's just reducing the quality of the product for the sake of giving the appearance of more interactivity.

One of the puzzles in Discworld 2 is literally finding the right order of conversation options.

I never played DW 1, but enjoyed DW 2 a lot back then. Although I don't think I ever managed to finish it before reading a walkthrough...

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 5, 2018

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Rincewind meets more confusing nice new people in this episode as well as exploring a new area. It's probably going to be another episode or two until the plot is advanced any further, for now, it's still exploring the starting areas.

How is the resolution for people? I've been recording in the native resolution which is fine on my computer in full screen, but I forgot about Youtube's weird conversion mechanics and have noticed that during the playback it's looking a little blurry in fullscreen. Would it ruin the immersion if I increased the quality in the next recording to compensate?

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 7, 2018

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, just to help YouTube not compress it so much.

divedivedive
Jun 6, 2011
Man, I loved the books and the games. But to the best of my recollection, these are the hardest adventure games I've ever played. At least the ones I had the hardest time with. I'll enjoy revisiting these games vicariously through the stream. Think I still have the PlayStation version of the first game somewhere around here!

LumberFlapJack
Dec 19, 2011

divedivedive posted:

Man, I loved the books and the games. But to the best of my recollection, these are the hardest adventure games I've ever played. At least the ones I had the hardest time with. I'll enjoy revisiting these games vicariously through the stream. Think I still have the PlayStation version of the first game somewhere around here!

I remember giving up several times after finally getting hold of a walkthrough, especially for Discworld 1. The second game I was able to solve mostly by myself with only a couple of puzzles that needed consultation.
I was somewhere between 13 to 16 years when playing these for the first time and I'm not a native speaker of English. When I later picked up these games about ten years later I had also read some of Pratchett's books in English and was able to understand and appreciate more of the humour. Both from being older and being better at English.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The street urchin's label changing to "starfish" after you talk to him is actually a pretty good joke. Pity they felt the need to repeat it several times after that.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I have to admit that I'm starting to warm up to the donkey cart line. Having everyone else say it as well turns it into a running gag.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I love the Discworld series, but... these games, man. It's like having a conversation with a fan of the books who can't stop quoting his favourite bits and doesn't get that you need the rest of the joke, not just the punchline.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Whybird posted:

I love the Discworld series, but... these games, man. It's like having a conversation with a fan of the books who can't stop quoting his favourite bits and doesn't get that you need the rest of the joke, not just the punchline.

Yes! That is exactly what it's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Rincewind speaks to more people and explores a couple of new locations. We're still in Act I, I'm confident that it will be wrapped up in the next recording. I've also recorded this video in a higher resolution so I'm hoping the conversion is a little more forgiving this time around.

I'm full of the cold today so my speech is a bit sparse and my brain feels a little ditzy, so please excuse things on my side.