Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Forget kerri, decorum poisoned. Nichael run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

nichael

you did good

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

WASHINGTON (AP) — Biden's Former Senate Floor Desk Vandalized (all times local):

12:25 p.m

A large orangutan and what can only be described as an anthropomorphic duck are being sought after by the Metropolitan Police Department this morning after allegedly breaking into the US Senate building overnight and committing a strange act of vandalism. Metropolitan police pursued the suspects and one of which was heard screaming the enigmatic phrase, "How could you do this to me Nichael," before reportedly pulling up a manhole cover and escaping into the Washington D.C. sewer system. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (R-CA) was quoted, between tears as saying, "It is sad how little Decorum these anonymous cowards have shown."

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
:yeshaha:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Biden's Former Senate Floor Desk Vandalized (all times local):

A large orangutan and what can only be described as an anthropomorphic duck are being sought after by the Metropolitan Police Department this morning after allegedly breaking into the US Senate building overnight and committing a strange act of vandalism. Metropolitan police pursued the suspects and one of which was heard screaming the enigmatic phrase, "How could you do this to me Nichael," before reportedly pulling up a manhole cover and escaping into the Washington D.C. sewer system. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (R-CA) was quoted, between tears as saying, "It is sad how little Decorum these anonymous cowards have shown."

We may never know who these patriots were...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

holy poo poo Harris only had 175k, that's amazing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nichael posted:

one of the 15 year old volunteers on the team sent me this

this whole team was very diverse in age, class, experience, and background, but it was probably the nicest and funniest group of people I've ever seen. I don't really feel bad that Kerri lost because we tried our best, but I am definitely going to be depressed that we won't have this huge team working together again, anytime soon, and we won't have our insidious OUTSIDE ORGANIZERS here since they're going back to their home states. I'm going to miss them a lot.

wanna talk about those outside organizers? I might know some of them, or more likely, of them.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wonder what percentage of he funds came from cspam

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Agean90 posted:

wonder what percentage of he funds came from cspam

the top donator was what we at the campaign assume is a greek philanthropist, as his name is Guzlin Ondize

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Shageletic posted:

wanna talk about those outside organizers? I might know some of them, or more likely, of them.
They're from WFP and Justice Democrats. I've only known them about a month and a half and it feels like I've known them all for years. They're extremely talented and kind people, and I hate that people voted to essentially break up a group like this.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This is awesome. I've been sharing all these pictures with people at the post campaign meeting, they're huge fans.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Nichael posted:

They're from WFP and Justice Democrats. I've only known them about a month and a half and it feels like I've known them all for years. They're extremely talented and kind people, and I hate that people voted to essentially break up a group like this.

This is awesome. I've been sharing all these pictures with people at the post campaign meeting, they're huge fans.

Haha thats awesome.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Up until the final month, we had basically no money. When people write op-eds now saying that the "Delaware Way" won because the people of this state prefer it, they can gently caress right off. Money won the day, as money nearly always does.

Shageletic posted:

About 2 to 3% I think, which is insane. I'm really just honored that people gave a poo poo.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

well... money and some slight electoral fraud that almost certainly occurred. a bunch of democrats were turned away at polls because their registration was suddenly Independent.

and what a coincidence, one of carper's top aide's is sleeping with the dude who manages VAN for Delaware. just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

Forget kerri, decorum poisoned. Nichael run
Maybe! I'm thinking 2022 or 2024, I don't necessarily feel ready yet but we'll see.

Food Boner posted:

so do you think kerri has learned from the experience

what happens next
We had a post-campaign meeting today with nearly everyone. In the immediate, we're sending a delegation to help the NY races this week, which will include me. In the long term, we're going to start utilizing our existing volunteer base by keeping them engaged in issue focused stuff at least for now, and then sooner than you may think, 2020 planning.

The thing about 2020 is there's two major state wide targets, as well as a possible third. Politically, Senator Coons is just as bad as Carper, but personally he doesn't have the history of domestic abuse, the temper, or the habit of groping women. He's also beloved for some reason in this state. Governor Carney has a terrible record, and is likewise hated by many factions of the party. Finally, there's Senator Carper's seat, again, because in all likelihood, he's not making it six years. If he retires or is unable to serve due to his health soon, there will be an appointed Senator until the next election in November 2020.

The establishment Democrats of Delaware have approached the campaign apparatus about activating young people for the party but gently caress them.

Empty quote because this is hilarious.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Squizzle posted:

nichael

you did good

thank you. again though, I mostly do this just because it's fun. delaware is terrible and needs to be destroyed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nichael posted:

Maybe! I'm thinking 2022 or 2024, I don't necessarily feel ready yet but we'll see.

We had a post-campaign meeting today with nearly everyone. In the immediate, we're sending a delegation to help the NY races this week, which will include me. In the long term, we're going to start utilizing our existing volunteer base by keeping them engaged in issue focused stuff at least for now, and then sooner than you may think, 2020 planning.

The thing about 2020 is there's two major state wide targets, as well as a possible third. Politically, Senator Coons is just as bad as Carper, but personally he doesn't have the history of domestic abuse, the temper, or the habit of groping women. He's also beloved for some reason in this state. Governor Carney has a terrible record, and is likewise hated by many factions of the party. Finally, there's Senator Carper's seat, again, because in all likelihood, he's not making it six years. If he retires or is unable to serve due to his health soon, there will be an appointed Senator until the next election in November 2020.

The establishment Democrats of Delaware have approached the campaign apparatus about activating young people for the party but gently caress them.

Empty quote because this is hilarious.

I'll be on the ground for Salazar for a bit (last day of GOTV only). Hit me up!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
everything's going to need to be a lot more on fire before they get better, do what u must nichael

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Nichael's Revenge

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

everything's going to need to be a lot more on fire before they get better, do what u must nichael

hes got the fire of human liberty and hes setting fires everywhere

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

there's going to be a lot more failure than success but that's okay. i'll keep participating in that garbage democracy anyway.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Nichael posted:

:unsmith:

twoday
May 4, 2005

I was walking around Amsterdam today and passed perchance by the house of a wealthy 17th century merchant slavetrader named Paulus Godin, and it reminded me of a story about his uncle and the history of Delaware which I will share with you now. This story is kind of like the Delaware equivalent of the story of the Pilgrims in Massachusetts.

The Story of Swaenendael: How Delaware Became America's First Corporate Tax Haven

After Henry Hudson explored the Hudson River, a bunch of wealthy merchants from Amsterdam decided to form a colonial corporation called the West India Company. It would be like the East India Company that was set up to exploit the natural resources and people of Asia but would focus on the Atlantic Ocean instead. They started exploring and decided to plant a colony called New Netherland in the 1620's, with the capital of the colony on an island in the Delaware River, near Philadelphia. After some disputes with Lenni Lenape people, the governor of the colony at that time decided to move the entire colony to Manhattan. His name was Peter Minuit, and he was the guy who famously bought Manhattan for 60 guilders. He was fired after only a few years because of fraudulent business practices, smuggling goods, and failing to report trades and pay taxes to the West India Company.

Now the Dutch government at that time was a Republic, and power was centered in a liberal oligarchic merchant class. The heads of government also made up the boards of these multinational trading corporations. They were the richest people in the world (the East India Company still holds the record for the most valuable corporation ever established in history) and they were connected with each other through marriage, and besides working together to manage the state so that it would favor their business interests, they were also rivals and often conspired together to ratfuck each other out of money and business opportunities.

When Minuit was recalled to Amsterdam, he made a plan together with 2 members of the board of the WIC named Samuel Godyn and Samuel Blommaert and to set up another colony on the Delaware. They had created a rule in the charter of the WIC that allowed rich people to pretty much set up fuedal serfdoms in the New World that were called Patroonships,* whereby if some wealthy person settled a bit of land with 50 families, he pretty much controlled the laws and people and land there. Godyn was in the whaling business and wanted access to the ocean that was far away from the WIC headquarters, so that they wouldn't interfere with his business and could freely smuggle and defraud and evade taxes. He negotiated with the Lenni Lenape for a vast area of land that is more or less what we now call Delaware.

In 1630 two ships full of colonists were dispatched to the new world. One was immediately captured by pirates off the coast of Dunkirk. The other one arrived at the southern edge of the claim in what is now called Lewes, Delaware. They named it Swaenendael and started settling, building farms, etc. Outside of the settlement they hung a large metal seal of Holland on a tree. A native took it down one day because he wanted to make pipes out of the metal. The Dutch were outraged, and ended up killing him. In retaliation, several members of the tribe staked out the colony, waiting for a moment when the giant Mastiff which guarded the colony was chained up. Then three of them talked their way into main house, offering to trade bear pelts with the people there. In the middle of the trade one of them grabbed an axe from the fireplace and used it to chop the head of the Dutchman they were negotiating with clean in half from brow to chin. They then killed or kidnapped everyone and burnt the settlement to the ground.

A little while later another ship arrived with more colonists, finding the colony in ruins. They heard from the Lenape what had happened to the previous settlers. They tried to live there for a while but were rightfully freaked out and by 1634 they abandoned the settlement and relocated to Manhattan.

Not being dissuaded in their plan to set up a second colony, and running out of Dutch people willing to settle there, Godyn, Minuit, and Blommaert turned to their trading partners in Sweden. Valuing profit above all else and not feeling any allegiance to their own country or even the WIC which they worked for, they decided to conspire with the Swedes, and in 1638 worked to set up the colony of New Sweden in the northern part of the Delaware Bay. The WIC didn't like this and eventually started settling there too, leading to war, and the invasion of New Sweden by the WIC under the direction of of the Gobernor of New Netherland Peter Stuyvesant in 1655.

Even after New Sweden was absorbed into New Netherland, Blommaert arranged to secure special rights for the Swaenendael colony, claiming an area of control in a radius around the settlement of Nieuw Amstel (now New Castle, DE). That's the reason why the northern border of the state has that round shape. The people there were constantly smuggling and up to suspicious poo poo so much that Stuyvesant sent his own son-in-law to investigate them. He reported strange shipping activities and lots of unregistered people and cargo and shady business deals made with the Swedes and Finns. Stuyvesant was going to crack down on them, but in 1663 the Lenni Lenape attacked Wiltwyck (now Kingston, NY) on the Hudson River, triggering a brutal war between the Dutch and Lenape.§ Thousands of people died in really sickening ways and several settlements on both sides were destroyed (especially the Lenape, of course). This war practically bankrupted Stuyvesant and New Netherland. In desperate need of money, the WIC sold the southern half of the colony in 1663 to Dutch merchants who had been involved in New Sweden, creating the short-lived South River colony.

At this point things get confusing. From the surviving records, it seems that the Swedish navy threatened to invade and recapture the colony, and may have dispatched some military ships. I found a record that there was a massive Dutch warship in Manhattan in june or july of 1664, but I am not sure why. The reason it is unclear is because in August of that year the English seized upon the chaos and invaded New Netherland, renaming New York. After seizing control of the Hudson the fleet went down to the Delaware River and pretty much destroyed everything, including many relevant records.

The English also destroyed some proto-communist utopian polygamist sect colonies that were in Delaware and Maryland, but I will save that story for another day.

* The fuedal patroonship system survived in upstate New York during the Revolutionary War, and was ruled hereditarily by the Rennselaer family until around 1840.

§ I suspect the managers of the Delaware settlement actually hired the Lenape to do this.

twoday has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Sep 9, 2018

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

twoday posted:

proto-delaware

this state is real bad, and has always been bad. the good news is, we're not giving up.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
If Nichael wants to write in TOM CRAPPER I won’t hold it against him

twoday
May 4, 2005

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

that's his grandpa