Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 7 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

Hey y'all post the best Thing faces you got (Kirby preferred but not required)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bumped into this cover I need to share:

edit: I started reading the swingin'-60's Wonder Woman comics and the artist there was also credited as 'continuity'. Anyone know what that would typically mean at that time in comics?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 25, 2018

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

I think that was true a while ago, is there some fresh horror? (I've never read Savage Dragon, but he's beat Sims record on writing and drawing your own comic at least by issue number, right?)
Dave Sim did 300 issues of Cerebus, Savage Dragon is at 240, so he's got a ways to go.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bumped into this cover I need to share:

edit: I started reading the swingin'-60's Wonder Woman comics and the artist there was also credited as 'continuity'. Anyone know what that would typically mean at that time in comics?
Continuity Associates/Comics/Studio/etc. was a thing founded by Neal Adams and Dick Giordano, that cover (like 90% of the DC covers of the time) looks like it's either an Adams/Giordano one or someone trying real hard to look like them.

Fun fact, in 1970 DC Comics still wasn't crediting creators in the majority of their books, and I assumed that this Brave and the Bold issue was no exception. My guess (if you're reading a trade or recently uploaded digital copy) is that they're trying to go back and add credits and Adams/Giordano didn't work on the book, but had some of the people in their studio do it, and that's where the credit came from even though the studio didn't actually exist until a year later.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 25, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Larsen seems to have lost he once had on Savage Dragon. 5 years ago I'd have expected him to hit #300 with no problem but man, I skimmed a recent issue and yuck, I don't see how anyone will even be reading it in 5 more years and that's if he keeps it monthly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Where is that one guy who will defend everything about Savage Dragon?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Where is that one guy who will defend everything about Savage Dragon?

Wasn't that noted racist shithead, American Dracula/Mr President?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Unless it's way way back (like pre-2016) a quick search suggests that the only people in BSS who have read an issue of Savage Dragon in the past few years are:

-Big Bad Voodoo Lou, who may just be fond of the first 100 or so issues more than any recent stuff
-ruddiger, who appears to still be following the series as of early this year but was not a vociferous defender of it
-Jordan7hm, who read the first hundred issues on a whim earlier this year
-Me, who has defended Savage Dragon/Larsen in the past as the one Image Founder who clearly loves comics and thinks about them the most and has done the most experimental and interesting work out of any of them, though that doesn't mean he isn't still an overgrown teenager whose thought and explorations are often pretty dumb. It's not hard to exhibit a deeper passion for comics than Todd McFarlane.

I could have sworn DTz repped for the rude rear end titties of Larsen at some point, but that's likely just projection.

Now I want to know who everyone is thinking of!

EDIT: I forgot about Valentino, who as an editor/mentor is also pretty deeply invested in comics. I'm sure that Valentino has more thoughtful opinions about the shape of the industry/artform and its history and etc., but in terms of being like a craftsman who wants to work on his craft, it's still Larsen. He's the only one who in 2018 (or honestly 2008 or 1998) has the desire to sit down with a stack of comics and read them and talk about what he thinks does and doesn't work in them, just as a thing to do.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 25, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The first 100 issues were honestly pretty good. A lot better than most of the 90s indie books I read. Witchblade comes to mind as a particularly egregious example of 90s cheesecake / beefcake heroes. Larsen is a legit great visual storyteller.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sorry, I meant that the Wonder Woman artist was credited with the role of 'Continuity'

I Googled around and found this: http://goodcomics.blogspot.com/2006/04/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-46.html for Russell Carley getting the job of"script continuity" in old Specter comics, which seems to be the modern job of 'breakdowns.'
They admit it was a weird word for the role, but maybe that stuck at DC for a bit.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 25, 2018

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

That might mean that O’Neil was scripting Stan Lee style over a Sekowsky plot. Sekowsky worked as a writer/artist on Wonder Woman for a while IIRC.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It was definitely ruddiger I was thinking of.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Unless it's way way back (like pre-2016) a quick search suggests that the only people in BSS who have read an issue of Savage Dragon in the past few years are:

-Big Bad Voodoo Lou, who may just be fond of the first 100 or so issues more than any recent stuff
Actually, from 2017 to the beginning of this year, I binge-read the first NINE Savage Dragon Archives volumes through my public library's e-book service (Hoopla), so those covered #1-225. It was a wild ride, and I appreciated Larsen's enthusiasm, obvious love for comics, and willingness to completely shake up the status quo and change everything. I'm sure I mentioned this way back whenever I posted, but it felt like a teenager pouring out every crazy idea in his head, including all the gross and sexy/pervy ideas possible. I think Larsen increased that when Savage Dragon's son Malcolm took over as the lead character. He was getting involved in threesomes and foursomes, and Malcolm's young wife Maxine was an insatiable nymphomaniac. That's where Volume 9 cut off, and where I was starting to think "Enough already!" I REALLY don't want to read that story that was summarized here.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 26, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how Savage Dragon would compare next to Invincible?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not strictly comic news but adjacent enough:

https://twitter.com/MirrorCeleb/status/1067473341110542336

:(

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Aw, dang.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For Heavy Metal (magazine and movie) and general fantasy pin-up fans, here's rotten news. According to her partner, Julie Strain has been struggling with dementia and is nearing the end of her life.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11/27/julie-strains-health-worsens-tributes-paid/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 28, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

For Heavy Metal (magazine and movie) and general fantasy pin-up fans, here's rotten news. According to her partner, Julie Strain has been struggling with dementia and is nearing the end of her life.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11/27/julie-strains-health-worsens-tributes-paid/

drat, that's so sad. She was such a knockout in her prime, like a real-life Amazon, and far too young to succumb to dementia. Traumatic brain injuries are such a horrible thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh no. That is horrible.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

At the bar and we came up with a new drink called the Batman. It’s two shots in the alley.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Gaunab posted:

It's probably time for Savage Dragon to end.

Danny from the Game Grumps aparently still reads it, but seemed dismayed at how it had turned out recently. Didn't they also kill the original Savage Dragon in like the least climatic way possible, like just had him blow up from using his son's blood or some poo poo, cause his son is basically a mary sue at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He exploded after kill Darklord so it wasnt a total chump death.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

From what I understand, dude had ALS. So this has been a long time coming and I'm glad his suffering is over.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
We're rapidly approaching 2016 levels of "someone put this year down, it's gone kill-crazy" here.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Big earthquakes definitely get your rear end outta bed right quick

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

site posted:

Big earthquakes definitely get your rear end outta bed right quick

Lucky. Vibrating beds are not typically free.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Found the guy that buys Savage Dragon still and loves it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804356&pagenumber=2376&perpage=40#post490308775

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Usagi seems to be the only comic that has one creative voice that doesn’t go down the shitter.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

bobkatt013 posted:

Usagi seems to be the only comic that has one creative voice that doesn’t go down the shitter.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has been running almost as long, and just keeps getting better

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

I've read all the Fantagraphics stuff and the first four "Saga" collections that Dark Horse has done and there hasn't been a bad issue in any of them. Chris Sims has said in various columns and podcasts that there has never been a bad issue of Usagi Yojimbo and I'm inclined to agree.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

In terms of (North American) action/adventure comics, isn't the data set for this pretty much literally

Cerebus (1977-2004)
Usagi Yojimbo (1984-present)
Savage Dragon (1991-present)

If we're talking semi-monthly serialized action comics that are more-or-less continually published, that's about it in the "one creative voice" department. There are some big gaps between runs but David Lapham is over 100 issues/20 years deep into Stray Bullets now and I still love it. I have never gotten into it, but Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise is celebrating its 25th Anniversary and he's done easily 100 issues of various SiP books.

Love & Rockets is over thirty years old now, and is technically two creative voices mostly doing entirely their own thing together in one publication, and while I sympathize with anyone who thinks the endless Quaker Oats Effect movie/flashback stuff Gilbert has been doing the past several years counts as "going down the shitter", Jaime is still putting out some career-highlight stuff in L&R's fourth decade.

I guess a lot of this is down to taste, since you could also throw stuff like Peanuts or Doonesbury or other comic strips into the mix, though that's a very different scenario than any of the previously mentioned ones.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CapnAndy posted:

We're rapidly approaching 2016 levels of "someone put this year down, it's gone kill-crazy" here.

https://twitter.com/woke_teen/status/1068732056543232002

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So it’s not all bad.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

Love & Rockets is over thirty years old now, and is technically two creative voices mostly doing entirely their own thing together in one publication, and while I sympathize with anyone who thinks the endless Quaker Oats Effect movie/flashback stuff Gilbert has been doing the past several years counts as "going down the shitter", Jaime is still putting out some career-highlight stuff in L&R's fourth decade.

I was just thinking about that, and how I got into the Hernandez brothers during that weird period where they released L+R as annual albums. I think the first one I read was the "Browntown" one so holy poo poo. Honestly I have a hard time thinking about Jaime entirely divorced artistically from Beto so any conversation about which one is better at what, I respect that conversation, but I kind of get vertigo.

Incidentally in googling to check something I found a pretty nice roundtable about "Browntown" between Michael Fiffe and Tucker stone from 2010. I totally forgot about his place in comics discourse back then, and it kind of floats back to this nebulous quasi-conversation about Savage Dragon spread out across this forum right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Does anyone else have a weird blue ribbon on the side of their screen saying "lol look at this dumb poo poo?" Anyone know why it's there?

• Locked thread