Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy November, the month of eating. Let's talk about comics and eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Continuing from last thread, I heard once the creator of Troll wanted to sue J. K. Rowling because he had a protag called Harry Potter in his movie 20 years before the book. Probably a b.s. rumor, but it's believable that someone would do something that dumb because so many people sue over dumb reasons like that. It's all ego.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

Continuing from last thread, I heard once the creator of Troll wanted to sue J. K. Rowling because he had a protag called Harry Potter in his movie 20 years before the book. Probably a b.s. rumor, but it's believable that someone would do something that dumb because so many people sue over dumb reasons like that. It's all ego.

There's also a bunch of people who think WB paid of Neil so he wouldn't be angry about HP. I mean, boy wizard is an old trope but Harry is visually Tim Hunter to a T.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoy that even when he gets dressed up in a suit for Thanksgiving dinner, Gambit still wears a bandanna.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I know that Americans make a bigger deal out of thanksgiving than us Canadians, but do people really dress up in formal wear for what is essentially a big rear end meal?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoy that even when he gets dressed up in a suit for Thanksgiving dinner, Gambit still wears a bandanna.
It not you, it Gambit's male pattern baldness.

Monaghan posted:

I know that Americans make a bigger deal out of thanksgiving than us Canadians, but do people really dress up in formal wear for what is essentially a big rear end meal?
I'm sure some do, but I've never been to one like that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maybe Mutant Thanksgiving is different.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Monaghan posted:

Not that I've ever heard of.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Despite it being yanksgiving, the rest of the world acknowledges November as being the month the Great War ended and we reflect pretty heavily on the stupid cost of war on nations.

Here are two graphic novels about war. I am sure there are a whole of a lot more, but these are the two that I have read most recently.

Two Generals about two friends who went to war and their experiences therein.

Harlem Hellfighters about a little known fighting contingent made up of African Americans who showed great bravery during the war even though their own freaking army hated them due to the colour of their skin.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess if you want to call no ratty t-shirts formal then yeah

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

I guess if you want to call no ratty t-shirts formal then yeah

Wow look at Fancypants here with their tshirts that aren't ratty

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Is that big lump in the middle supposed to be a turkey, or did they roast Mojo?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Esplanade posted:

I think that's two turkeys and the artist failed at perspective and the colorist failed at coloring.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Esplanade posted:

Have some respect, that's Bird-Brain.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Covok posted:

There was a person who coincidentally had a book that used the word "Muggle" but in a completely different context. IIRC they ended up getting busted for putting out a new edition that renamed a character to Harry Potter while trying to claim that he was always named that.

The same thing happened with a guy who was suing Dreamworks saying that he had created a kung fu panda before they made Kung Fu Panda. He also got busted for putting fake dates on sketches as well as just straight up copying images from Kung Fu Panda.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
loving lol
https://twitter.com/RyanStegman/status/1059849431695134720

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Which Batman story involved Joker on a pile of multi colored bones, it was parodied on South Park?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The one Joker story that I know was parodied in South Park was The Killing Joke but it has been a while since I watched or even heard about it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I thought Marvel couldn't reprint a lot of issues of Thunderbolts due to not owning Charcoal. But Marvel Unlimitted just added a chunk of Thunderbolts with Charcoal front and center. Did they work something out?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

I thought Marvel couldn't reprint a lot of issues of Thunderbolts due to not owning Charcoal. But Marvel Unlimitted just added a chunk of Thunderbolts with Charcoal front and center. Did they work something out?

They don't own Charcoal?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Charcoal was the prize-winner in a Wizard-related create-a-character contest, IIRC. I guess the rights issues were a little too thorny to sort out so they wrote him out of the series. A brief write-up can be found here.

I've always wondered if there were similar issues with Thunderbolts' other obscure contest winner, 1973's Humus Sapien, but I sort of doubt there's a big bloc of people clamoring for his return.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 8, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just call Humus Sapien Chickpea Man, problem solved

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1061054093630824448

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

We all forgot the fifth of November

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Well most of us are Americans so it doesn't matter even a little bit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Endless Mike posted:

smh if you need a special day to remember the constant threat posed by papists

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gripweed posted:

smh if you need a special day to remember the constant threat posed by papists

We have the Twelfth for that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Well most of us are Americans so it doesn't matter even a little bit.

I'm not necessarily in favor of burning Catholics, but it's not a bad start.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just picked up the new iPad Pro 12.9 and this is easily the best device for reading comics ever made. It’s thinner than an average TPB and about as lightweight. I’m not exactly sure it could be improved upon as a reading device.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

AACK!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

I just picked up the new iPad Pro 12.9 and this is easily the best device for reading comics ever made. It’s thinner than an average TPB and about as lightweight. I’m not exactly sure it could be improved upon as a reading device.

I've got a first generation one and it's great. The new ones look even better, but I don't really use it enough to justify replacing what I got.

.....Maybe when I get my tax return.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

that's a 12.9 inch screen, right? Any non apple equivalents? my absurdly large 17 inch tablet probably only has a year or so of life left in it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm gonna keep pretending that reading horizontal fit-to-width on my mini is good enough.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm gonna keep pretending that reading horizontal fit-to-width on my mini is good enough.

What the gently caress do you do when there's a double spread?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress do you do when there's a double spread?

Add a lil zooming to all that scrolling.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Add a lil zooming to all that scrolling.

You lead such a sad life. And also destroying the point of a double spread.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

I could have told you this a year ago.

It is amazing.

What apps are you using to do the reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No, I’ve had the second gen model iPad Pro since it came out last year. Yesterday I got the third gen that came out this week and it completely blows the second gen away in every way imaginable. Most notably size and comfort.

I use Comixology and Marvel Unlimited mostly. And occasionally YACReader for obscure older stuff that’s not available either of those places.

• Locked thread