Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ruddiger posted:

Morgan Freeman and Samuel L. Jackson in the deep south busting up Klan rings involved in the supernatural.

:thatsrad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

S2 suffers both in comparison with S1 and from trying to have too many main characters. On it's own merits it's a good show, but as the followup to S1... no chance. On the other hand, if S3 was S2 it would have been absolutely blasted as being derivative of the first one in tone and for going back to two partners chasing a weird case in a rural wasteland.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I finally got around to watching this and I've caught up with the last 10 pages of thread.

Great acting was all that really carried the show. Ali's portrayal of the old Hays was probably the most accurate old man transformation I've ever seen. Dorff was good, but it felt like he was never given that much of a chance to shine.

That said, I was pretty disappointed with the show. Great start, and then it never really got out of second gear. As great as Ali was as Hays, he and Amelia had little chemistry and their relationship just didn't feel believable at all. From beginning to end, it never felt like she would be into him enough to have 2 kids and roughly 31 years of marriage. Considering how much time they spent on this relationship, to me it really hurt the season.

The conspiracy/crime was a disappointment, and not because I had any grandiose theories of what it could be. As people mentioned, it ultimately just wasn't that interesting and the full blown exposition at the end really killed it. Because of their old age when it finally came, it also basically gave no one a good closure or development.

True detective? Neither of the main two solved the case. It ultimately resolved itself when Julie ran away and started her new life with Mike. Amelia was the only one who guessed Will's murder could've been an accident. Instead, the case basically ended Hay's career twice over and ruined Roland's life. By the time they were gifted the truth of it all, Hays was at on his last mental legs and Roland was already a bitter, lonely old man with no one in his life. If Hays indeed died or went full blown dementia at the end, you can bet that Roland's situation just went from poo poo to dire, losing his last semblance of friendship and family in the world.

It felt like this season was written in response to the fallout of season 2 as they toned down any outrageous poo poo and gave it a methodical pace and less use of a thesaurus. Mostly I'm disappointed because it felt like they were maybe one more idea or revision away from a great show. The elements were there, and it all felt competently put together, they just fell well short of being very interesting or memorable.