Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

HBO's True Detective is returning :siren: January 13th, 2019 :siren:, less than 8 weeks from now, so I've decided to start my rewatch in the next few days.

Episode List
Episode 1: Jan 13th, directed by Jeremy Saulnier (of Blue Ruin fame :getin:)
Episode 2: Jan 20th, directed by Jeremy Saulnier
Episode 3: Jan 27th
Episode 4: Feb 3rd
Episode 5: Feb 10th
Episode 6: Feb 17th
Episode 7: Feb 24th
Episode 8: Mar 3rd

What is a True Detective?

The title is a reference to pulp detective stories. A "true detective" is never crowned in either season, however the implication is that a True Detective is someone willing to go against the authority in order to close the case. Both seasons have featured detectives that are willing to work outside the law in order to stop killers and bring justice to those in positions of power who flaunt the law.

What is True Detective?

True Detective is the brainchild of Nic Pizzolatto (aka The Pizzaman to some posters) and initially was an acclaimed darling in HBO's line-up. Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson starred in Season 1, which was set in Louisiana during the mid-90's and later 2012. Season 1 was a dark tale of cult activity, ritualized rape and murder, as well as containing themes of misogyny and control of women. It was very reminiscent of HP Lovecraft's work, though at the time or airing there was quite a bit of debate among goons as to whether or not it was meant to be a homage or a commentary on the horrors of man. Also controversial in the wake of the Season 1 finale were accusations leveled against Pizzolatto of plagiarism from both Thomas Ligotti and Alan Moore (iirc), as well as rumors that Pizzolatto clashed with the very talented director Cary Fukunaga, who many credit with the seasons success.

Season 2 of True Detective was highly anticipated, again working with an all-star cast that included Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams, Taylor Kitsch, and Vince Vaughn. Season 2 had a very different tone than S1 and was closer in tone to Raymond Chandler than HP Lovecraft, changing location from Louisiana to California. Season 2 was viewed as a disappointment after such a spectacular debut season. Critics and goons took issue with a variety of issues and the final episode was admittedly very dumb, but we collectively fell in love with Stan, a minor character who played a major role in teaching us the value of loyalty, family, and friendship.

Season 3 was a long time in the making. Much of the blame for Season 2's failure to live up to Season 1 fell on the fact that HBO rushed it following the success of the preceding season. Many were hoping the HBO would force Pizzolatto to take on a writing room, however they seemed to have compromised and instead he worked with David Milch for the script of one of the mid-season episodes. This season also employs a time skip device, following the investigation of a double murder over several decades.

The Cast (from Wikipedia):

^^^Mahershala Ali as Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas.

^^^Stephen Dorff as Roland West, an Arkansas State Investigator whose career has been influenced by a baffling crime.

^^^Carmen Ejogo as Amelia Reardon, an Arkansas schoolteacher with a connection to two missing children in 1980

^^^Mamie Gummer as Lucy Purcell, a mother of two children who finds herself involved in a crime

^^^Scoot McNairy as Tom, a father who suffers a terrible loss that ties his fate to that of two state police detectives over 10 years

I've been avoiding spoilers for this season, besides the widely publicized details like the investigation taking place over several decades, and remind everyone about spoiler rules!

I have a lot of TV that I want to watch, however this week I'll be jumping back into the office chair with Rust. Last time I rewatched Season 2 I liked it a lot more than I did at the time it aired, I'm hoping it will be even better this time around!

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Just hook any Noir directly into my veins.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I hope they give McNairy a big role and not just a side thing where he has a scene with the cops once an episode. He's the best talent involved in the season in my opinion, the more he's on screen the better it'll be.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I hope they give McNairy a big role and not just a side thing where he has a scene with the cops once an episode. He's the best talent involved in the season in my opinion, the more he's on screen the better it'll be.

Yeah I really like him too. I was a bit worried to see him down as a supporting role, hopefully he gets a lot of screen time because he's very talented.

BTW, feel free to suggest anything I should add to the OP.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I had completely forgotten how Woody Harrelson's eyes and the expressions he makes with them were a main character on this show

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Holy poo poo does the new version of Crave TV suck. It seems to have issues playing the first season of any show I try to watch. I was able to watch the first two episodes of TD without issue, now it's telling me I can only watch S2 on both FF and GC... IE is not supported.

Crave demands screenshots of it not working, except clicking Season 1 and it no doing anything does not make for an informative screenshot...

I miss TMNGo, which worked flawlessly :canada:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The meth-head biker drug rip is still one of the coolest things I've ever watched on TV. I think it's my favorite scene in this series!

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The scene where they rob the stash house? It's a small masterpiece.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yep, that one.

I finished up Season 1 today (no work, snow), now I'm onto Season 2. Playing them back to back makes the change in dialogue feel jarring.

I'd forgotten how solid Colin Farrell is though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

S2E2: I remember being floored by the ending to this episode, thinking that Ray had actually been killed. The Crow Man was also mysterious and weird at that point, and the David Lynch opening of E3 was great.

This season had so much going for it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

True Detective Season 1 is one of the best seasons of any show I've ever seen, period.

True Detective Season 2 is not even close, let's be honest, but I like it for what it is and I think because it's being held up to the absolute brilliance of S1, it's widely seen to be a pile of poo poo when in reality it's a fine, ambitious if uneven, work on its own that I appreciate for trying to not just redo the first season (even if I do agree that S1 is far better). I think the only person I've heard say something positive about it is Matt Gourley.

I actually think the closest comparison to S2 is Twin Peaks: The Return, especially given the enormous Lynch influence on it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't hate S2 either but it was just such a weak mess after the first one. Perhaps rewatching it now it would be easier to judge it on it's own merits but tbh it's not something I would like to do anytime soon. Definitely giving S3 q chance though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm on episode 5 right now and maintain that the dialogue is the greatest issue so far. I think everything could have been fixed if HBO had made Nic work with someone on the script who would have told him "People don't talk like this."

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

I'm on episode 5 right now and maintain that the dialogue is the greatest issue so far. I think everything could have been fixed if HBO had made Nic work with someone on the script who would have told him "People don't talk like this."

I definitely believe everything Ray Valcoro says. He's a washed up rageaholic dummy. Everyone else didn't feel right.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
i was really disappointed that season two had no hints at all at any kind of occult/supernatural elements. I mean, a lot of the season one stuff can be written off as Cole’s hallucinations but it was a very interesting part of the show regardless. I remember right after season 1 ended Pizzalotzo gave an interview where he said that season 2 was about the secret occult history of the California transportation department or something and that sounded pretty dope. I guess it got dropped.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

beanieson posted:

i was really disappointed that season two had no hints at all at any kind of occult/supernatural elements. I mean, a lot of the season one stuff can be written off as Cole’s hallucinations but it was a very interesting part of the show regardless. I remember right after season 1 ended Pizzalotzo gave an interview where he said that season 2 was about the secret occult history of the California transportation department or something and that sounded pretty dope. I guess it got dropped.

Quite early in writing, apparently. :smith:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I definitely believe everything Ray Valcoro says. He's a washed up rageaholic dummy. Everyone else didn't feel right.

Yeah, Ray usually feels natural and Farrell blows everyone else away (though Kitsch, McAdams, and Vaughn didn't have a ton to work with), however "I'm feeling apoplectic" was his line and lol

beanieson posted:

Yeah, I missed the Lovecraft cult stuff too. Considering Bohemian Grove was an inspiration behind this season I was sorry that there were no weird orgies and rituals around a giant owl statue.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Was Dixon set up with that shoot out by the brass, or did it just go down unexpectedly?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I dunno. You'd still have that entire subplot about the murdered extra that no-one could because the show never bothered to establish the character while he was alive.

I get that the season's meant to be deliberately confusing -- knotted and looped like LA's transportation lines -- but I don't think that was a particularly good idea. For me, that's the biggest problem, and not the petty dig at Fukunaga or the crappy dialogue or the poorly handled queer stuff or whatever else people were pissed off about at the time, I can't really remember.

Wait, no I just remembered the quality of some of the dialogue and I got blue-balls-of-the-heart-by-proxy. How is it even loving possible to write that line?

First season was a fluke, there's no way this third season is going to be any good. Viva Fukunaga.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 23, 2018

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Yea all his stuff is pretty to look at. Maniac is worth a watch but you’d do fine just putting it on mute. the plot is so far up it’s own rear end I couldn’t really get into it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

beanieson posted:

Yea all his stuff is pretty to look at. Maniac is worth a watch but you’d do fine just putting it on mute. the plot is so far up it’s own rear end I couldn’t really get into it.

Maniac started out great as their weird, almost satirical look at a dystopian society with some anachronistic throwback tech, but as soon as their visions started, the show started to lose my interest. I appreciated them creating something offbeat, but in the end, it wasn't at all what I was hoping it would be.

I felt similar disappointment after finishing Homecoming, after so many critics raved about what a creepy, twisty, weird "mystery box" show it was. It totally wasn't.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

not the petty dig at Fukunaga

What was the dig at Fukunaga?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

beanieson posted:

i was really disappointed that season two had no hints at all at any kind of occult/supernatural elements.

What about that hosed up bar that people speculated (at the time) that it was purgatory? That and the intro stuck with me, I've forgotten pretty much everything else about S2.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

u brexit ukip it posted:

What about that hosed up bar that people speculated (at the time) that it was purgatory? That and the intro stuck with me, I've forgotten pretty much everything else about S2.

I don’t remember people speculating anything like that but I do recall enjoying the musician that was always playing in that bar. Lera Lynn. She was my favorite part of TD ssn2

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I couldn't get close to finishing season 2, and i don't ever intend to try.

However i'll be watching this thread and if anyone says "the mood/feel of S1 is back" then i'll be all over this.

The ozarks are the kind of place you could do coolish stuff that's not too off from the desolate feel of Louisiana in season 1 so i'm kinda hopeful

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Chairman Capone posted:

What was the dig at Fukunaga?

The scene with the Asian film director who was kind of an rear end in a top hat. It was super unprofessional of Pizzalatte.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

The scene with the Asian film director who was kind of an rear end in a top hat. It was super unprofessional of Pizzalatte.

He claims it was unintentional: http://screencrush.com/true-detective-season-2-cary-fukunaga-pizzolatto/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

One of the best things that season 1 had was the wonderfully created atmosphere of dread, and it was all very lovecraftian. That these were men fumbling around in events they could only scratch the surface of comprehending. Also the feeling that they were chasing insignificant things while all around them the very fabric of the universe was unravelling, and they couldn’t even see it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Some review I read about Season 1 pointed out that Louisiana was the 3rd main character of the season and they were 100% right.

I'm on the Season 2 finale and I'm enjoying it more this time around. Ray and Bezzerides' relationship feels better this time. Frank speaks more plainly the more "gangster" he gets, which I'd missed before but was happy to realize today.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Finished. My new opinion is that while Season 2 was perfectly fine, though not exceptional, NIC PIZZLATTO killed it in the WRITER ROOM with a THESAURUS IN A LIQUOR STORE BAG, at least in the first few episodes, which hurt it's reputation

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 24, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You should add when the season will be over to the OP because why anyone would ever ever want to watch a season of True Detective week to week is entirely beyond me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Some review I read about Season 1 pointed out that Louisiana was the 3rd main character of the season and they were 100% right.

Absolutely. I lived in Louisiana for 5 years, and it’s very much still my second home. It can feel very oppressive, and be staggeringly hot, and that sky will be grey and overcast somehow. They managed to convey that on screen amazingly well.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You should add when the season will be over to the OP because why anyone would ever ever want to watch a season of True Detective week to week is entirely beyond me.

Done

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 24, 2018

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Its apparent they learned no lessons from season 2 failures, looking at the cast roll. Season 1 was lightning in a bottle, alas.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

What’s wrong with ssn 3’s cast?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

In some ways I enjoyed S2 more than 1. It was never going to meet everyone’s expectations after the monster of season 1, but it was ambitious and interesting. Script could have used another round or two of revisions, but I still enjoyed it. The slow shots of the highway system filled me with the same level of dread as the shots of Louisiana nature did.

Really looking forward to S3.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

R-Type posted:

Its apparent they learned no lessons from season 2 failures, looking at the cast roll. Season 1 was lightning in a bottle, alas.

I think the line up looks solid, I know most of them from previous work and have confidence in them. Season 2 had a great line up of proven actors who didn't perform their best, I think it a lot of it has to do with the writing and Director :shrug:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the main thing i remember from season 2 was the GBS thread about it where people joked about pizzolato reading a word of the week thing and someone saying this week it'll be apoplectic and then it was used

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think Nic is talented as a writer but also very petty and a fart sniffer

I also remember him coming down hard on Lovecraft themes in Season 1 despite there being quite a bit of controversy about him lifting from Thomas Ligotti.

While I have high hopes for this season, Nic Pizzolatto seems like his own worst enemy and he could very easily tank the series. Let’s hope he went through a period of introspection between last season and this one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

beanieson posted:

Was it dropped, or was he just loving around? Because that sounds like sarcasm.