Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite Woodstock 69 performance is this one because the bassist has maybe two notes to play but he gets so into it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW5M5xljdCI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

Woodstock 99 had worse music and iirc a gang rape soooooo

The music is a maybe but the original Woodstock was probably even worse with the rape.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's true, unreported doesn't mean didn't happen

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine both festivals probably would have had an equal ratio of good to bad music. I'm just looking at a list of performers and I'm not sure who the 1969 equivalent to Limp Bizkit would've been, though.

Of course what's sometimes overlooked is that the same year as Woodstock, you also had Altamont. One was "The sixties were great!" and the latter was "But the seventies won't be!" :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 27, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine both festivals probably would have had an equal ratio of good to bad music.

Nooooooo.

quote:

I'm just looking at a list of performers and I'm not sure who the 1969 equivalent to Limp Bizkit would've been, though.

Sha Na Na

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hot Dog does not approve of this opinion.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Said with the utmost respect for both bands.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Please do not give respect to Limp Bizkit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A bunch of those guys eventually got theology doctorates and lecture on ancient Jewish history and stuff like that now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Woodstock 99 had over priced bottles of water, porta potties that broke down in the second day, a heat wave and angry young men listening to angry young men music. Amazed no one thought a riot wouldn't happen.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bought a cheap beginner's wacom tablet. Gonna make an epically awful comic

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Woodstock 99 had over priced bottles of water, porta potties that broke down in the second day, a heat wave and angry young men listening to angry young men music.happen.

Give or take the last point, this is still most summer music festivals.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

Make sure to Kickstarter it first

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hey give me some credit, ive been watching comicsgate long enough to know its gofundme where i can run off with the money and produce nothing

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

site posted:

Please make one about Woodstock.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

joehonkie posted:

Please make one about Woodstock.

Make it about this Woodstock

And then complain a lot online when you get a C&D from the Schultz estate.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

Make it about this Woodstock

And then complain a lot online when you get a C&D from the Schultz estate.

Make it about Woodstock at Woodstock listening to Limp Bizkit's Break Stuff.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

Make it about Woodstock at Woodstock listening to Limp Bizkit's Break Stuff.

So make it about him getting stomped into a mustard stain?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

X-O posted:

Hot Dog does not approve of this opinion.

Captain_America_I understood that reference.gif

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Random thoughts: I'm gearing up to reread Sandman this year, since the last time I read it was in high school, 10+ years ago (god I'm old). And of course the TPB volumes are beautiful and readily available, but while picking them up I realized I don't think I've ever run into a single issue of the OG Sandman series out in the wild. Spin-offs, sequels: yes, but I don't think, at a con, at any store in any city or state, flicking through random back issues I have EVER seen one of The Sandman. I know they must be out there! Do you think it's maybe a case where Vertigo already had lower print runs, and this was such a beloved series that those that collected it probably held on to them? Just a little oddity I noticed...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Only a handful are valuable. We had 50+ issues in our dollar bins when I left the store.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Random thoughts: I'm gearing up to reread Sandman this year, since the last time I read it was in high school, 10+ years ago (god I'm old). And of course the TPB volumes are beautiful and readily available, but while picking them up I realized I don't think I've ever run into a single issue of the OG Sandman series out in the wild. Spin-offs, sequels: yes, but I don't think, at a con, at any store in any city or state, flicking through random back issues I have EVER seen one of The Sandman. I know they must be out there! Do you think it's maybe a case where Vertigo already had lower print runs, and this was such a beloved series that those that collected it probably held on to them? Just a little oddity I noticed...

I started collecting Sandman in singles right when the Vertigo imprint started, around 1993, in the middle of the "Fables and Reflections" story arc. I had a complete run of the second half of the series, #41-75. But when I started buying TPBs of the first half, I sold my singles for as much as I could so I could piece together a matching set of TPBs. Even in the early '00s, the prevailing thought was that TPBs were worthless reprints, while back issues generally appreciated in value. I downsized all but one longbox of single issues from my collection, knowing the writing was on the wall and most of them would plummet in value in the coming years. Then I bought and traded for as many discounted, remaindered, and used TPBs as I could to build the collection I have today.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Impressed by X-O optimism that there will be someone sober enough to make a January thread

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve got two complete runs of sandman singles. One I bought for like a 100$, one was part of a big collection I was gifted by an uncle.

I need to get rid of one, possibly both of them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa posted:

Impressed by X-O optimism that there will be someone sober enough to make a January thread

I will have a go.

Edit:

Here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878495

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So I have a question for your people that love the comics like I do. Since there doesn't seem to be a general quick question thread, I hope that it won't be too out of place in the Dec. chat thread.

My local shop keeps missing comics in my subscription, I'm looking at missing 18 issues over the course of the last year, and I only follow 5 books. Granted they are not Marvel/DC big shots, it's more silly stuff like Invader Zim, Rick & Morty, Buffy, etc.

Any time I bring it up, like how they magically didn't have Cyberpunk 2077 Trauma Team #3 for me last month, it's "Oh man I'm getting hosed by Diamond" and "I'll see what I can do for you".

Been thinking about just leaving the shop and moving my sub to a farther away, more inconvenient shop that I used to go to more to hope for better consistency. Anyone have advice for situations like this? Is that a common occurrence that you just don't always get all your books in your sub?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So I have a question for your people that love the comics like I do. Since there doesn't seem to be a general quick question thread, I hope that it won't be too out of place in the Dec. chat thread.

My local shop keeps missing comics in my subscription, I'm looking at missing 18 issues over the course of the last year, and I only follow 5 books. Granted they are not Marvel/DC big shots, it's more silly stuff like Invader Zim, Rick & Morty, Buffy, etc.

Any time I bring it up, like how they magically didn't have Cyberpunk 2077 Trauma Team #3 for me last month, it's "Oh man I'm getting hosed by Diamond" and "I'll see what I can do for you".

Been thinking about just leaving the shop and moving my sub to a farther away, more inconvenient shop that I used to go to more to hope for better consistency. Anyone have advice for situations like this? Is that a common occurrence that you just don't always get all your books in your sub?

When I moved shops (because my old one closed) it took the guy there a few times to remember what to put in my box even though he has a spreadsheet for what goes in whose boxes. I don't know how long you have been going to yours but maybe it's a growing pain? I also know lately they have been having issues with getting stuff in on time due to shipping delays and whatnot.
If these aren't the problem though I would say yea go to another place if they are better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

My local shop is shorted or claims to be shorted on books kinda frequently (big two poo poo, like Hellions during the X of Sword event), diamond is pretty terrible, but it might also be them.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 10, 2020

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Skwirl posted:

My local shop is shorted or claims to be shorted on books kinda frequently (big two poo poo, like Hellions during the X of Sword event), diamond is pretty terrible, but it might also be them.

Yeah, I mean, I feel bad if they are legit getting hosed by Diamond, but I mean, I have randomly talked to a guy who owns the shop farther away, and they specifically said they have had zero issues getting stuff in. Granted the latter is a bigger shop with 2 locations, and the other is a rather small shop in my local town.

The owner of the shop in town has definitely bitched about Diamond constantly, so if it's them or just getting screwed by diamond, either way it seems like I may be better off elsewhere. Sucks to not give them my business and I am not a fan of that, but the fact of the matter is, trying to track down these issues after the fact when I finally realize what I'm missing when I go to read up is ridiculously frustrating.

Madkal posted:

When I moved shops (because my old one closed) it took the guy there a few times to remember what to put in my box even though he has a spreadsheet for what goes in whose boxes. I don't know how long you have been going to yours but maybe it's a growing pain? I also know lately they have been having issues with getting stuff in on time due to shipping delays and whatnot.
If these aren't the problem though I would say yea go to another place if they are better.

It's been upwards of 3+ years. I am a horrible comic reader, as I will generally pop in every month to pick up books, but I have read only a very few really and just keep all of the books to read when I take vacation from work. Therefore I GENERALLY don't notice.

This time I was specifically going for the Trauma Team issue that came out early November, and was rather annoyed. Especially since issue 4 ( The finale ) is due out next week.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Yeah, I mean, I feel bad if they are legit getting hosed by Diamond, but I mean, I have randomly talked to a guy who owns the shop farther away, and they specifically said they have had zero issues getting stuff in. Granted the latter is a bigger shop with 2 locations, and the other is a rather small shop in my local town.

The owner of the shop in town has definitely bitched about Diamond constantly, so if it's them or just getting screwed by diamond, either way it seems like I may be better off elsewhere. Sucks to not give them my business and I am not a fan of that, but the fact of the matter is, trying to track down these issues after the fact when I finally realize what I'm missing when I go to read up is ridiculously frustrating.

It's been upwards of 3+ years. I am a horrible comic reader, as I will generally pop in every month to pick up books, but I have read only a very few really and just keep all of the books to read when I take vacation from work. Therefore I GENERALLY don't notice.

This time I was specifically going for the Trauma Team issue that came out early November, and was rather annoyed. Especially since issue 4 ( The finale ) is due out next week.

You can do what I did if you are want to support the more independent local store and still get your stuff that you want.
The shop I used to go to before they closed had some financial difficulties due to their owner screwing them around and therefore never got new products on time, if at all. I would still go there and buy a graphic novel here or there just to support them, but for new stuff that I knew they would not get for months I would just go to another store that I knew had the stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why are you guys posting in a 2 year old thread.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

It was a December to remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

To see what Decembers were like pre-covid