Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HO HO HO It's December and that means presents for a certain subset of people living on Earth! Thankfully, we are one of those subsets, and Lowtax has blessed us with this great new CSS on the forums:

So talk about how dumb Rhyno is or just comics and Santa and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ha ha rhyno ur dumb

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Did anyone ever make these and if so were they good?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
They sound awesome. I love orange vanilla and orange cream desserts.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best DC Christmas related thing is definitely that comic where Batman convinces Superman that he shouldn't pretend to be Santa, Superman agrees and then sees Batman pretending to be Santa.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
tis the season

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Counter-Earth was very weird.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I want a Counter-Doom written by Warren Ellis or something.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

are you sure, the last time Warren Ellis wrote a Counter something it didn't go too great

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
One of my most treasured comics from when I was 14 was Lobo's paramilitary christmas special where Lobo fights Santa. Comic still holds up today.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This thread should just be a Christmas Panels thread.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alaois posted:

are you sure, the last time Warren Ellis wrote a Counter something it didn't go too great

He also wrote Doom 2099 which is awesome.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ho-Ho-Ho

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He also wrote Doom 2099 which is awesome.

it was a Counter X joke

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alaois posted:

it was a Counter X joke

For some reason I thought you were referring to Ruins. Which, uh..

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How seriously is Ruins supposed to be taken? You get to the end and there's a newspaper with Galactus's corpse on the front and the headline "GOD FOUND DEAD IN SPACE" and I have a hard time thinking it's not a parody.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

How seriously is Ruins supposed to be taken? You get to the end and there's a newspaper with Galactus's corpse on the front and the headline "GOD FOUND DEAD IN SPACE" and I have a hard time thinking it's not a parody.

the interpretation i like is that Ellis read Marvels and thought "it'd be really funny to do this, but everything goes as bad as it possibly could"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

More seriously than it actually should be taken.

There's definitely some intentional absurdity, but my impression is that the reader was supposed to be going, "Haw haw! Look at those superheroes getting it! This is so much more realistic!" I mean two pages before that newspaper, Jean Grey is a twenty dollar prostitute who approaches Nick Fury and Fury just guns her down in the street. Sometimes a really lovely comic is just a really lovely comic.

Speaking of Ruins reminded me of one of the neatest things in Marvels. Go read Marvel Mystery Comics #8, 9, and the first page of 10. Then read the first issue of Marvels. It's pretty clever and even though it's obvious when you read them like that, the golden age books are obscure enough that you wouldn't even know what Busiek was doing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I loved Busiek's run on Conan, that was cool. Cary Nord was great there too, who I noticed is on Wonder Woman at the moment.

Random recommendation, everyone into noir and the 80s owes themselves Cobra: The Last Laugh. Started at the same time GI Joe was rebooted by IDW a decade ago, so no continuity you need to know, just a terrific stand-alone story. One of the best comics ever written, and I guess especially so for me, since it's so up my alley.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Jordan7hm posted:

Counter-Earth was very weird.

Do you think Christmas is actually Warlockmas there?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Do you think Christmas is actually Warlockmas there?

War on Lockmas. :qq:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Here are some Santa posts from that Lobo comic I mentioned above:

Yep. Still holds up

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
mr miracle wyd

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1069613383622803456
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1069614615510859776

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

(Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer)

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So, does anyone have a good IPhone based app they can recommend that can be used to database a comic book collection? I'm in the mood to be all organized, and I see several on the app store; wanted to get a little feed back before pulling the trigger on one. I don't mind spending some money on one, just want it to be a good one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HELLO I AM VERY BUSY BEING DUMB

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

enigmahfc posted:

So, does anyone have a good IPhone based app they can recommend that can be used to database a comic book collection? I'm in the mood to be all organized, and I see several on the app store; wanted to get a little feed back before pulling the trigger on one. I don't mind spending some money on one, just want it to be a good one.

I use CLZ comics. It’s pretty good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What's the deal with Marvel's new Conan? Specifically, why is Marvel reprinting the material from Dark Horse's Conan Omnibuses as much more expensive Conan Epic Collections? Did they somehow get the rights to that material? That's what I'd assume, but Dark Horse's collections are still in print. Except for the first one, which is sold out, you can get them all from Amazon right now, including ebook versions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whomever holds the rights to the character automatically gets the rights to pretty much all produced comics. DH previously reprinted all the old Marvel stuff.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Speaking of rights to old stuff, does anyone know what the fuckity hell happened to Miracleman? It must've been a debacle of some measure.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Marvel was convinced they had the ironclad rights to it, got cocky and started drip-feeding the old stuff by releasing recolored monthly floppies while promising to finally publish the third volume(and selling TPBs of the 50s comic to everyone's dismay), then their loving around gave Todd McFarlane's lawyers enough time to figure out that in fact he still had a stake, so it all died.

If those sacks of poo poo had just immediately released the TPBs of the old stuff and started printing the new stuff, we'd be golden, but they wanted to resell the entire series issue by issue before getting to the third volume, because they are greedy morons.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I dunno, the fact that they got to exactly one issue before the original run ended before halting in thunderous silence makes me feel like Alan Moore's Dread Magicks were at work there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But they'd already reprinted every one of Moore's stories by that point.

I did enjoy how any time a Marvel rep was asked about it they would get visibly agitated.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

HELLO I AM VERY BUSY BEING DUMB

"Elf..."

"What?!"

"You need to... record... Elf..."

"WHY DID YOU SAY THAT FILM?!"

"It's his favorite Christmas movie!"

"!!!"

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The Ultimate Warrior Christmas Special NWS?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I haven't read any "classic" Image/Wildstorm stuff in years. So my friend said "Get a load of Savage Dragon" and I had no idea he was being literal. Welp, that's my story.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

But they'd already reprinted every one of Moore's stories by that point.

I did enjoy how any time a Marvel rep was asked about it they would get visibly agitated.

Yeah they finished Moores run and finished the first storyline of gaimans. They announced the start of the silver age but then it went quiet.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I am reasonably sure that the licensed comics thing goes on a case by case basis. Marvel's Star Wars comics eventually got repackaged by Dark Horse when they got the license in the 1990s, then reverted back to Marvel (along with all of the Dark Horse content) a few years ago when the license went back to Marvel.

BUT, for instance, Star Trek comics have been published in a million places, and there are a few older (Gold Key) books that have been reprinted by IDW, the vast majority of it has never been republished except for a DVD that came out over ten years ago that I'm not entirely sure was properly licensed. A lot of other licenses have bounced around forever (Terminator, Robocop, Transformers, GI Joe) and some of them get repackaging of all of the old material, others don't and given the endless churn of trade paperbacks and digital comics and etc. I'm assuming that there are legal/contractual hurdles to this beyond "we have Planet of the Apes rights now, WE OWN ALL OF THOSE OLD COMICS".

Or maybe they're all stupid greedy sack of poo poo motherfuckers loving with you, let us never rule out those son of a bitch fuckwad shitheads doing that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Trek stuff is odd yeah but I think IDW does have the rights to reprint the Marvel books, it's just that nobody wants those.