Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Tommy the Newt posted:

I strongly disagree with you here. You need to compare the cost of simple cosmetics in other live service games rather than just say "but inflation". The prices for many of the items now are insane, like "buy a whole new videogame" money. These are not microtransactions. And yeah, Fdev have been doing poorly financially because they keep making bad decisions and producing poor content. There are many things people would be willing to pay for, especially if they were to generate some goodwill from the community, but devaluing people's existing ARSE overnight in a sweaty corporate panic is not good.

If you enjoy the game and want to support it, that's great. I also enjoy the game and want to support it, but you seem to be engaging in a fair amount of mental gymnastics to excuse something that isn't even well-executed from a business perspective.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Elite: Dangerous - devaluing people's existing ARSE overnight in a sweaty corporate panic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

HonorableTB posted:

Also like, I don't think ARX prices have ever increased since they were introduced. If ARX were introduced today that's likely the price point they'd be at out the door, we're just spoiled from years of inflation-immune cosmetic pricing

Looking at my purchase history, the ARX price is consistent back to the first time I bought some in 2020. They'll probably reduce the cost a bit to address the discontent but I guess overall I think people are kind of overreacting to a price increase when it's the first time it's gone up in 5 years and the company itself is doing fairly badly from a financial standpoint. If you enjoy Elite, this is probably how it's going to be funded until FDev can manage to make another game that makes money.

theyre selling a type 6 freighter for $19 USD

ED+ED Odyssey together is $25

i think the biggest thing, which ive said and i think tommy also said (lol if i read usernames on posts) is that these changes make me personally less likely to spend literally anything, where as before i pretty much would just blank check this game for skins because they were a solid value etc.

so i think this particular change is both bad for the players and bad for fdev and i dont honestly see ppl being desperate enough for skins on a decade old game with barely a trickle of content that this works for them.

also, to touch on the "some skins are missing" thing, im reading reports that "some skins" = things like the entire military line of skins for some ships, ie, removing their lower cost options

Worf fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 3, 2024

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
It's like they took the wimp lo model of pay to win.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

recent reviews on steam for this game is down to mixed idk if thats within this week or not but llol

lol good luck ever getting a positive rating again honestly

i didnt cut out any positive ones or filter them, i simply did a date range from march21 to today and posted everytinhg that came up

Worf fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 3, 2024

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

We need to get Danny Pudi's character from Mythic Quest over to Fdev and show them how to bilk customers properly.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Parallelwoody posted:

We need to get Danny Pudi's character from Mythic Quest over to Fdev and show them how to bilk customers properly.

let me dress my ship in a revealing outfit

*exposes cockpit*

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I just can't work up the energy to be mad about this, especially when all the p2w ships I've seen are bad. Have they showed us anything beyond the AX fighter and mining ship?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I just looked up the Python 2 stats on the Elite Fan Wiki. Is this real? One more hard point and some more utility slots but then in turn all the optional compartments slaughtered?

With how many slots the original Python has, it can easily outclass the new ship. I mean, going from 3 class six to just one alone is pretty drat :psyduck:

Even when used as combat-only ship, there's not really a lot of space to use

And they wanted real world money for early access? Is :frontear: pranking us?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

smug jeebus posted:

I just can't work up the energy to be mad about this, especially when all the p2w ships I've seen are bad. Have they showed us anything beyond the AX fighter and mining ship?

i dont think the p2w aspect is inherently bad, but i do think the massive price increases for arx things is bad

also imo selling a poorly kitted type 6 for $18 is kinda bad

a guy i used to play this with paid like $150 to somebody to fully grind a fedvette

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Libluini posted:

I just looked up the Python 2 stats on the Elite Fan Wiki. Is this real? One more hard point and some more utility slots but then in turn all the optional compartments slaughtered?

oh holy poo poo i just checked and yeah those are some abysmal outfitting options for that ship, like, dbs tier. not even any military compartments what are they thinking?!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

P2w is unethical but have you considered that Frontier are exclusively offering pay to LOSE items

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Ernie Muppari posted:

oh holy poo poo i just checked and yeah those are some abysmal outfitting options for that ship, like, dbs tier. not even any military compartments what are they thinking?!

It's a combat ship in competition with the FDL and Mamba, 4 large hardpoints is an unprecedented amount of damage potential for a ship in that speed class (even before you factor in the 2 mediums), and it has 6 utility boosters. If it had more internal compartments it would be insanely overpowered.

I'm usually keen to criticise Fdev's batshit decisions, but in this case they need something to offset the ridiculous armament.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 3, 2024

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
This economy is rough, guys. Even our space panel van skins are getting shrinkflated :(

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Finster Dexter posted:

This economy is rough, guys. Even our space panel van skins are getting shrinkflated :(

i wish theyd shrink the wings on my clipper and make it a medium

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

i guess i’m just kind of tired of fdev’s whole thing with the ship variants where they’ve always clearly had very specific builds in mind for them but still force you to go through the motions of putting them together

edit: honestly ships as a whole too, but the earlier designs were a lot more flexible so it bugs me less i guess

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 3, 2024

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Personally I think ships aren't restrictive enough. Stacking defensive modules has had a terrible effect on the game, healthbloat has made combat almost impossible to balance for.

Also if you could do anything with any ship they'd lose their personality. I know it can be frustrating if you're excited to try a new ship but it doesn't lend itself to the task you had in mind, but the alternative is worse imo.

The original Python is already the primo multirole medium that can be built for many things, if this was the same but with an extra gun it would be mad.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i feel like im ok with this combat oriented python. the extra util slots make it interesting for bounty hunting etc. hopefully they didnt drop hull hardness down or anything stupid like that

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

like, i can get with that. i love a game with a bunch of distinctively designed guys (ships) with clear and easy to grasp at a glance strengths and weaknesses (load outs). playing “guess my intended build” is just real tedious for me.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

I do agree that Elite has struck a very awkward middle ground, it invites you to make choices but in an ecosystem that is so poorly balanced that those choices aren't interesting, while also being laborious to figure out.

I'm mainly talking about the game as-is, not how I wish it could've been if redesigned from the ground up. Given where we are, it's good if they avoid breaking combat wide open with an OP ship.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

how far can it jump

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tommy the Newt posted:

Personally I think ships aren't restrictive enough. Stacking defensive modules has had a terrible effect on the game, healthbloat has made combat almost impossible to balance for.

Also if you could do anything with any ship they'd lose their personality. I know it can be frustrating if you're excited to try a new ship but it doesn't lend itself to the task you had in mind, but the alternative is worse imo.

The original Python is already the primo multirole medium that can be built for many things, if this was the same but with an extra gun it would be mad.

This is an extremely weird post. Personality is not bound to equipment. Normal people go by important things like handling, sound, how the ship looks etc.

I'd be happy if you could do at least something with most ships. Make ships more restricting and I just stop playing. Well, whoops, I already did, but you get my drift.

Besides, since Frontier clearly made combat-only slots, they could also make poo poo like slots that exclude military equipment. That would be a far saner choice then just making the ship designers in-universe look like dummies.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Libluini posted:

This is an extremely weird post. Personality is not bound to equipment. Normal people go by important things like handling, sound, how the ship looks etc.

I'd be happy if you could do at least something with most ships. Make ships more restricting and I just stop playing. Well, whoops, I already did, but you get my drift.

Besides, since Frontier clearly made combat-only slots, they could also make poo poo like slots that exclude military equipment. That would be a far saner choice then just making the ship designers in-universe look like dummies.

You say you think my post is weird, but go on to essentially agree with what I'm saying: more slots should be restricted. The whole point is that the wide-open nature of Elite's outfitting means ships can very quickly enter silly minmax territory that breaks balance and renders other ships irrelevant. Python 2 is already poised to eclipse the mamba, if you give it more optional internals it eclipses many more. The personality of a ship is absolutely defined by its limitations, including handling as you mentioned.

Defence and utility modules sharing the same internal space is a problem, but the game is what it is, you can't have a bunch more internal compartments on a ship that powerful without breaking the game still further. Sure, you'd put some research limpets and a cargo hold in it and trouble nobody, but for better or worse Elite is a multiplayer game and anyone doing combat would stuff it to the gills with HRPs and SCBs and it would be an absolute nightmare.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 3, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Tommy the Newt posted:

The personality of a ship is absolutely defined by its limitations, including handling as you mentioned.

Hence why the Federal Drift Ship owns and out-personalities all other ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Hopefully they'll do the game dev thing of "increase price by 2x, say we hear you, reduce price by 25%" and at least make the prices more palatable but who knows. It bums me out not even because I'm upset about the prices, I just hate seeing people saying "don't buy this i'm quitting" :(

The early access thing I didn't even really have a problem with. If that's what it takes to get new ships, than so be it. It's fine. The skin price increases are :psyduck: though