Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I tried that whole "search for . turns up weird poo poo on YouTube " thing and it turned up an awful lot of "yoga" videos that involved a lot of stretching while wearing not very much clothing and it was completely free. Stretching is the new avocado toast, get it together millennials!

That's terrible! Where are they, so that we can report them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Splicer posted:

First past the post elections

Bwm thread posters: The best posters.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

People laugh at these crazy phone bills but it's real. I think that pretty much everyone I know has a phone bill north of 100, and that doesn't count the people with family plans.

I use US Mobile, pay 18 a month for 6 GB data. Bring my own phone (pixel 6). Over two years, my average upgrade cycle, it averages out to like 32 bucks a month. Everything is on Verizon's network, Verizon's towers. I do not understand the mindset of paying hundreds in TYOOL 2024 for cell service....

drk
Jan 16, 2005
The big phone bills are people financing devices right? Are people still paying $50-100/month for service?

I am paying $25 for unlimited on Verizon and there is definitely cheaper stuff out there

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

skybolt_1 posted:

People laugh at these crazy phone bills but it's real. I think that pretty much everyone I know has a phone bill north of 100, and that doesn't count the people with family plans.

I use US Mobile, pay 18 a month for 6 GB data. Bring my own phone (pixel 6). Over two years, my average upgrade cycle, it averages out to like 32 bucks a month. Everything is on Verizon's network, Verizon's towers. I do not understand the mindset of paying hundreds in TYOOL 2024 for cell service....

It's easy to hit $100+ if you keep the same phone plan you've had for 10 years without ever shopping around and when half of it is a payment and insurance for an $800 device you replace every 18 months

drk posted:

The big phone bills are people financing devices right? Are people still paying $50-100/month for service?

I am paying $25 for unlimited on Verizon and there is definitely cheaper stuff out there

I think the secret is never shopping around. Maybe the unlimited data plan was $85/mo 15 years ago and they just never looked at switching or changing plans. The carriers will happily continue to take your money at the original rate rather than tell you unlimited data costs $30 these days

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 2, 2024

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

drk posted:

The big phone bills are people financing devices right?

Yup! It’s pretty typical.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Modern phone sales are exactly like car sales, look how fuckin' cool this thing is, now let's talk about your monthly payment amount and definitely never talk about how much money you'll actually spend on it in total while it quickly loses all value and will soon need replaced.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

People are definitely paying $50-100 for service in Canada, hoo boy.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I pay ~$180 per year for my phone bill. Granted, I only get 5GB of data, but I’m not on my phone all the time. Anything else I need would be downloaded beforehand. My Internet bill on the other hand…

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Every time I mention to someone irl I'm paying only $25/month for unlimited everything people are surprised and here's what I've come to realize:

1. Everybody is somehow on a family plan still, even if they're in their 20s and haven't lived "at home" for half a decade they're still "stuck" on their parents family plan along with their sister and whatever.

2. Everyone considers their $100+/month phone bill "cheap" or "not a big deal". It's just an accepted normal thing.

3. Those $100+/month phone bills include financing their phones. People ask me how I don't have to pay for a phone.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

i financed the iphone 15 pro i got last year because it was literally 0% APR, I even double checked the math. happy to keep earning the interest on my end rather than pay full cash. it'll be fully paid well before i get some future phone.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Modern phone sales are exactly like car sales, look how fuckin' cool this thing is, now let's talk about your monthly payment amount and definitely never talk about how much money you'll actually spend on it in total while it quickly loses all value and will soon need replaced.

It's exactly this, but that's also not obviously bad. If you're always going to have a car/phone, there are QOL or maintenance reasons to buy a new car/phone, and the financing is efficient enough that interest rates for this car/phone consumer debt are barely above the fed funds rate, why not borrow instead of buy? It becomes problematic when people finance a new car/phone just because the old one is paid off, or upgrade to a nicer car/phone they don't need because they can afford the payments.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

pmchem posted:

i financed the iphone 15 pro i got last year because it was literally 0% APR, I even double checked the math. happy to keep earning the interest on my end rather than pay full cash. it'll be fully paid well before i get some future phone.

I’ve been doing this for years and it is the best way to finance an iPhone. You also get 3% upfront if you do it through an Apple Card.

Yzuped
Apr 22, 2014

drk posted:

Sorry, on Verizon? How? their cheapest plan advertises as more than that!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yzuped posted:

Sorry, on Verizon? How? their cheapest plan advertises as more than that!

MVNOs. Visibile and several others that are exclusively Verizon resellers are $25/mo.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Whether someone is paying $30/mo vice $50/mo for service is sort of irrelevant when they're spending $1000 on a new phone every 2 years.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Eric the Mauve posted:

"But I got 0% interest on this bad boy! So obviously it's smarter to finance one of the most expensive options that exists instead of the cheaper ones (or buying outright a mid-range model). Because this top end model must be 3 times as good - price = value. And then I roll its equity into a new one next year to reduce my payments - they're practically paying me!"

You're right, it's exactly like cars.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

While we're on the subject, how do these MVNO plans handle domestic roaming? International? What other features do they lack that a full fat postpaid plan has?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I pay $50 to AT&T for my healthcare hero plan. I get tethering and they tell me I get cell tower priority in case I need to send a text at a Taylor swift concert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

MVNOs. Visibile and several others that are exclusively Verizon resellers are $25/mo.

Yes, Visible (MVNO owned by Verizon)