Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

pmchem posted:

yeah, if you're gonna crosspost from another forum and then halfway through realize that most of the post has nothing to do with the actual thread you're posting to... please reconsider next time? this thread at least ostensibly has a topic for original content
Sounds like someone could do with a visit from the handyman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Organza Quiz posted:

It was the Langham on the Gold Coast, which was the fanciest of the rich people hotels I've gotten to stay in, easily.

I always pettily enjoy going to breakfast at those places in shorts and a t-shirt with all my tattoos on display.

Really rich people don’t give a poo poo about shorts and tattoos, but they might judge the cost/quality of them.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Barely Warranted Massage: Pay the handy man for a good corking

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

There was a recent NYT Daily podcast episode about this guy. After he sent six figures of "fees" to "release" the payment for his timeshare, the scammers talked him into "investing" in a "Mexican vacation development" to milk him for another couple 100Ks. Basically, they were virtuoso pig butchers. Also, the guy is a retired cop who always prided himself on his street-savviness :sickos:

What sort of industrial scam infrastructure is required to pull this off? Well, it turns out the Jalisco Nueva Generacion cartel pulled a hostile takeover of a local call center and murdered the employees who tried to quit. Now they're forced at gunpoint to rob feebleminded American retirees of their life savings. Grim stuff.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Jesse Ventura posted:

Also, the guy is a retired cop

talk about Pig butchering

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

It was the Langham on the Gold Coast, which was the fanciest of the rich people hotels I've gotten to stay in, easily.

posting prices in australian dollars is cheating cuz they are only worth like 2/3 of a real dollar

Organza Quiz posted:

I always pettily enjoy going to breakfast at those places in shorts and a t-shirt with all my tattoos on display.

hell yeah mate

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Subjunctive posted:

Really rich people don’t give a poo poo about shorts and tattoos, but they might judge the cost/quality of them.

Exactly. I know more multi-millionaires with huge visible tattoos than poor folks with them. If you're already in the lobby of the fancy hotel and the tattoos aren't literal prison stick-and-poke jobs, then everybody is probably gonna assume you're richer than you actually are (rather than poorer than you actually are).

That article is a loving paid advertorial piece for GOBankingRates.com, and doesn't appear to have any actual research behind anything in it. It's just rage-bait to get you to visit their site, and it appears to have worked.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That article is what happens if you ask an LLM for "fifty financial habits seen as lower-class in today’s society". Just pure vaguely-on-topic bullshit to fill out a list. The fact that it got as much attention in the CSPAM thread as it did made me roll my eyes, and the fact that it got even more attention here is hilarious.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Splicer posted:

Banging With Myself: Sounds like someone could do with a visit from the handyman.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

drk posted:

posting prices in australian dollars is cheating cuz they are only worth like 2/3 of a real dollar

Man, for some reason I've always thought it was the other way around. I think they got rid of the buy-your-way-in visa though, and I'm too old now for the "productive workers we want" one.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Splicer posted:

Bored With Masturbation: Sounds like someone could do with a visit from the handyman.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why the gently caress am I spending $23 on left

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tag yourself. I'm the $0 spent on food & drink.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Gaius Marius posted:

Admiralty Flag posted:

I'm left handed so the $23/month is the tax I pay for my disability.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Where's the candle budget?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Admiralty Flag posted:

steal protein shakes from the gym 3x per day

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Having an "etc." budget item is always a good sign.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Gaius Marius posted:

You might be Microwave

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

withak posted:

Having an "etc." budget item is always a good sign.

I assume it's other things in the "things similar to Netflix and Uber" category

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm the 15% of the budget for "Gym, Yoga, etc" when rent is already 62% of it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why would you have Netflix and Uber in the same budget category?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The price hikes on the etc. subscriptions are killing people now that it costs over $500 a month.

They should consider downgrading to a basic etc. plan for only $399 a month.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
While not as bad as that rich-people spa, the town I used to live in has a place called "StretchLab" which is not a massage place or a physical therapist or anything actually licensed, but is just people helping you stretch. Introductory assessment with an expert "flexologist" is $59 for 50 min, after which point I see no prices listed anywhere.

I'm trying to think of any reason someone would ever use this. If you are healthy enough to stretch out yourself, you would. If you aren't, you're either at a physical therapist or a sports medicine place (or a combination of the two) and you're working with someone with a state license anyway. Oh, and your insurance covers it then. Right, that too. I just want to relax? I'm getting a loving massage.

https://www.stretchlab.com/

^^^ These folks.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Gaius Marius posted:

Not all of us are natural ambi-turners!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

withak posted:

Why would you have Netflix and Uber in the same budget category?

they both have apps, obviously

it is very normal to spend $568/month on your mobile telephone ($205 phone bill not included)

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Organza Quiz posted:

Speaking of rich people nonsense, I got to stay in a fancy hotel last year for work and they had a spa menu that I just had to save a screencap of out of sheer disbelief:

For clarity, you pay and then they bring you the drinks and treatments and things so that you can then do the thing yourself in the bath in your room. Pay $290 for you and your partner to give each other a massage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0YdqFPbSpc

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm the $200 phone bill,or maybe I'm the fixed/predictable monthly spend on Ubers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sundae posted:

While not as bad as that rich-people spa, the town I used to live in has a place called "StretchLab" which is not a massage place or a physical therapist or anything actually licensed, but is just people helping you stretch. Introductory assessment with an expert "flexologist" is $59 for 50 min, after which point I see no prices listed anywhere.

I'm trying to think of any reason someone would ever use this. If you are healthy enough to stretch out yourself, you would. If you aren't, you're either at a physical therapist or a sports medicine place (or a combination of the two) and you're working with someone with a state license anyway. Oh, and your insurance covers it then. Right, that too. I just want to relax? I'm getting a loving massage.

^^^ These folks.
My stretchologist is an old friend.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They probably bucket Uber rides and Uber eats in one category.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gaius Marius posted:

furthermore, why is left on the right

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sundae posted:

^^^ These folks.

Because people don’t know how to stretch effectively or safely, and feel that such a place is a better way to learn than by googling? (Massage and stretching are almost entirely unrelated, I’m not sure what you’re saying there.)

Also, at least up here, $59 for 50 minutes is a lot cheaper than working with a physio, and not everyone who would benefit from stretching (a very commonly recommended activity, if not also intervention, for the elderly) has insurance that covers PT in the first place. As far as I know from quickly asking a physiotherapist and a PT assistant, nobody goes to a PT clinic to get advice on stretching unless they have an acute condition or are seeing them for another reason already.

This thread has a darkly hilarious habit of posts that are basically “I don’t immediately see how this could be useful/desireable to someone because it does not apply to me, and I will not engage curiously with it, and it costs money—FIFTY NINE DOLLARS—so it must be a sign of someone making a stupid financial decision”.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

furthermore, why is left on the right
First past the post elections

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Splicer posted:

:golfclap:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Admiralty Flag posted:

They've got food. The $23 for "Left" is just shorthand for None pizza, left beef

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Guy Axlerod posted:

They probably bucket Uber rides and Uber eats in one category.

Or it is literally an advertisement for a budgeting app that is doing the same trick as those "can you save the princess in 3 moves???" ads for lovely mobile games.

Subjunctive posted:

Because people don’t know how to stretch effectively or safely, and feel that such a place is a better way to learn than by googling? (Massage and stretching are almost entirely unrelated, I’m not sure what you’re saying there.)

Also, at least up here, $59 for 50 minutes is a lot cheaper than working with a physio, and not everyone who would benefit from stretching (a very commonly recommended activity, if not also intervention, for the elderly) has insurance that covers PT in the first place. As far as I know from quickly asking a physiotherapist and a PT assistant, nobody goes to a PT clinic to get advice on stretching unless they have an acute condition or are seeing them for another reason already.

This thread has a darkly hilarious habit of posts that are basically “I don’t immediately see how this could be useful/desireable to someone because it does not apply to me, and I will not engage curiously with it, and it costs money—FIFTY NINE DOLLARS—so it must be a sign of someone making a stupid financial decision”.

Yeah, as someone who spends a fair amount of cash on gym/trainers/various other physical fitness-related expenses, throwing down $60 for an hour-long assisted stretching session seems perfectly fine. It's certainly a luxury expense, but probably less BWM than spending the same amount on a piece of fast fashion.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Splicer posted:

Oof

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Stretching is probably more useful than massage for a lot of musculoskeletal issues.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Splicer posted:

:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I tried that whole "search for . turns up weird poo poo on YouTube " thing and it turned up an awful lot of "yoga" videos that involved a lot of stretching while wearing not very much clothing and it was completely free. Stretching is the new avocado toast, get it together millennials!