Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Tree Goat posted:

skinner's experiments on pigeons discovered that if you use a random reward schedule on pigeons, they will perform "superstitious" actions (such as noticing that the reward pellet dropped when they were preening, and so start preening all the time) that become gradually more nonsensically elaborate (noticing that preening doesn't seem to work, so maybe it only works if they face in a certain direction, or hop on one foot, etc.).

the hovercraft that the official scientific expeditions use in the zone are programmed to follow the return path exactly, even doing things that seem irrational like pausing for the exact length of time it took red to throw bolts to test for anomalies. this is despite the fact that the path going out is often nearly arbitrary. we see this repeated slightly more metaphorically with how the swag is used and how the stalkers interact with the zone, with patterns of superstitious action that build on each other without end.

the zone is an enormous skinner box with a random reward schedule that is generating human behavior that is increasingly irrational and unhinged.

this is a good post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tree Goat posted:

the zone is an enormous skinner box with a random reward schedule that is generating human behavior that is increasingly irrational and unhinged.
If aliens were actually experimenting on humans, this would be a very different book.

Humanity is doing this to itself.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Need suggestions for next month.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Warning-William-W-Johnstone/dp/0786040505

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Xander77 posted:

If aliens were actually experimenting on humans, this would be a very different book.

Humanity is doing this to itself.
my point was that it operates like a skinner box, not that there's necessarily agency in the zone's operation

although i think there's a reading where the humans are being experimented on or there's otherwise intent behind the zones and it's exactly the same book (arguably a less interesting one, but still a supportable reading all the same). i'm reminded of "the screwfly solution" where the men confabulate meaning and dogma in their actions even after it becomes clear that the behavior modification is pathogenic and likely alien in origin.

if you were still looking for newly public domain stuff i'm always down for psmith or lord peter wimsey or something suitably fluffy in that vein.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I'm a few chapters in One Hundred Years of Solitude. It was BotM, like, thirteen years ago, and I couldn't even find the thread with archives. I know it's well-liked in TBB, so there's plenty of people to discuss it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

my point was that it operates like a skinner box, not that there's necessarily agency in the zone's operation

although i think there's a reading where the humans are being experimented on or there's otherwise intent behind the zones and it's exactly the same book (arguably a less interesting one, but still a supportable reading all the same). i'm reminded of "the screwfly solution" where the men confabulate meaning and dogma in their actions even after it becomes clear that the behavior modification is pathogenic and likely alien in origin.

This was one of the things I really liked about the book, that either reading is (arguably) valid. As a terrible trashperson horror fan, I do find the idea that the zone itself is exerting some influence on the decision-making kind of neat, but yeah, it's less compelling of an idea than ascribing all the strange behavior associated with stalkers as nothing more than trial-and-error superstition based on whatever happened to work on a given day. It's interesting to draw that idea out and view the book as an example of a very human tendency to ascribe some meaning (even meaning we acknowledge we don't/can't understand) to what is entirely random chance.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I'm a few chapters in One Hundred Years of Solitude. It was BotM, like, thirteen years ago, and I couldn't even find the thread with archives. I know it's well-liked in TBB, so there's plenty of people to discuss it.

To kind of jump off this post, I know the policy has always been that BotMs shouldn't be repeated, but there's so many books way back in the early days of BotM that I'd love to read and actually see discussed. I feel like we wouldn't lose a ton of people who would otherwise be involved in the threads if we redid literally anything from, say, 2014 and earlier.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
What about The Autumn of the Patriarch for García Márquez?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Looks interesting.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
For Something Completely Different, my suggestions for next BotM:
  • The Sixth Day and Other Tales, short story collection. Primo Levi does science fiction. I wouldn't really call it science fiction, nowadays I believe it would be called "weird fiction", bordering on magical realism (example: a pattern is discovered on the body of tapeworms, that scientists eventually recognize as writing. It turns out tapeworms are intelligent, aware that they live inside people, and they write poetry about it). I thought I had read everything by the guy, and this was an unexpected treat
  • The Crossing, long form article. Mostly as an excuse to finally read it, before it disappears from the internet forever

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

hackbunny posted:

The Crossing, long form article. Mostly as an excuse to finally read it, before it disappears from the internet forever

bad news

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If we can get a good link I would loooove to read the longform article, that's a meduim I'm always neglecting.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

it's called the book of the month not the long form internet post of the month.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
The Effortpost Of the Month Club

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah that article loads for me but "book" in this context means published between covers with a spine, or electronically in an ebook format (.mobi, etc). A comic book trade paperback would theoretically count but would fit better in BSS. I think we had a thread for a while dedicated to web serials, not sure if it's active or not.

what I look for in the BoTM:

1) accessibility -- this means either not impenetrably dense to read OR availability in ebook format; ideally both. The perfect candidate is an easy-to-read out of copyright ebook. Something like Three Men in a Boat is ideal here. Finnegan's Wake may be available as a free ebook but it doesn't meet this criteria because nobody can read it. BoTM is a gateway drug so I want people to walk through the gateway.

2) novelty -- something most people on the forum haven't already read. This is why prior BOTM's are generally not considered but we have repeated some and it's not a hard rule. It's also why I tend to avoid SF&F but again, not a hard rule if it's something off the beaten track (like this month's selection).

3) intellectual merit -- it has to have enough substance to justify discussion.

Thanks for all the suggestions above, please keep 'em coming. I'll try to get a poll up with five or so options this weekend.

Franchescanado posted:

We actually repeated that one in 2014, thread here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630493

We've also repeated Borge's Fictions, Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feyman, and a few others.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 24, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Awesome. Thank you for linking it for me.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
My copy of the new translation finally came, and everyone's already talking about what to read next month, go figure. :negative:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Stuporstar posted:

My copy of the new translation finally came, and everyone's already talking about what to read next month, go figure. :negative:

It's a pretty fast read if you can get a decent window of time. I think I finished it over a weekend.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Stuporstar posted:

Thread won't stop with the calendar! Post, comrade!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I found the ending really poignant. That after all of this concern over the Zone, over what it has done to him, after he's sacrificed another man to a crusher to get to the Golden Sphere, after all his dreams of specific wishes he doesn't even necessarily know will be true - that Red just believes in humanity, in the clarity of his soul, and he wishes for goodness and hope and freedom for everyone, no matter who they are. That despite all his troubles and despite his hard life, Red still believes in the goodness and value of mankind. It was touching.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Arivia posted:

I found the ending really poignant. That after all of this concern over the Zone, over what it has done to him, after he's sacrificed another man to a crusher to get to the Golden Sphere, after all his dreams of specific wishes he doesn't even necessarily know will be true - that Red just believes in humanity, in the clarity of his soul, and he wishes for goodness and hope and freedom for everyone, no matter who they are. That despite all his troubles and despite his hard life, Red still believes in the goodness and value of mankind. It was touching.

Yeah that section gave me goosebumps too, but remember part of that is Red's guilt about the kid he just murdered/sacrificed to get there. It's not his wish, he's largely repeating what the kid was saying would be his wish. Red is feeling very numb about the fact another good if ultimately naive man just got killed by the zone and machinations of those around him. It's a redemptive and noble action, but hardly a pure one.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Then there's the elephant in the room, the fact that, in the end, against his principles, he did sell the witches jelly, and it's even more dangerous than stalkers imagined - it converts almost everything it touches into more of itself, something that as long as it sat in a basement was nearly harmless, but in the hands of nosy scientists could end up causing the end of the world. I can't even justify him for only selling out when threatened with arrest, because he had already sold out the moment he took the empty porcelain container with him (much less filling it up, bringing it back and actually selling it)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Poll is up for next month!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Jumping to the end--a student gave me a copy of this and I just finished the first chapter. I don't want to spoil myself so I will come back and read when I'm finished but this is some mysterious moody writing. I am enjoying it very much.

Very Russian

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah that section gave me goosebumps too, but remember part of that is Red's guilt about the kid he just murdered/sacrificed to get there. It's not his wish, he's largely repeating what the kid was saying would be his wish. Red is feeling very numb about the fact another good if ultimately naive man just got killed by the zone and machinations of those around him. It's a redemptive and noble action, but hardly a pure one.

Yeah.

Its why I really liked this book, the characters were all so damned real (if not convincingly Canadian) and Red throughout that chapter had a dialogue with himself over his recognition of being a "good man" and the cold emptiness that the key--a better man than his father--would be used.

I didn't get a strong anti capitalist commentary from this work beyond black markets being a thing--they were during the Soviet era as well and it read more from that perspective to me TBH.

I loved the mystery of the place, how nothing was explained, leaving the reader to struggle with the meaning of it all, just as the characters did. But the Skinner box reading is good, even if inadvertent rather than intentional. I think the end chapter had a bit about humans being more like machines in some ways did it not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah.

Its why I really liked this book, the characters were all so damned real (if not convincingly Canadian) and Red throughout that chapter had a dialogue with himself over his recognition of being a "good man" and the cold emptiness that the key--a better man than his father--would be used.

I didn't get a strong anti capitalist commentary from this work beyond black markets being a thing--they were during the Soviet era as well and it read more from that perspective to me TBH.

I loved the mystery of the place, how nothing was explained, leaving the reader to struggle with the meaning of it all, just as the characters did. But the Skinner box reading is good, even if inadvertent rather than intentional. I think the end chapter had a bit about humans being more like machines in some ways did it not?

I always felt that the anti-capitalist interpretation was something that the Strugatskys had to sell to the censors. It never felt to me that the book was actually built around a critique of capitalism so much as humanity in general and it felt like the social backdrop to the book could just as easily have been in the USSR as the west. You can read it as anti-capitalist, but to me it feels like a reach and I read that the Strugatskys had to work with the censors to get the book cleared so I figure that the anti-capitalist reading was a motivated argument.