Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2015, refer to archives]

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2017:
January: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
February: The Plague by Albert Camus
March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
April: The Conference of the Birds (مقامات الطیور) by Farid ud-Din Attar
May: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
June: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky
July: Ficcionies by Jorge Luis Borges
August: My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber
September: The Peregrine by J.A. Baker
October: Blackwater Vol. I: The Flood by Michael McDowell
November: Aquarium by David Vann
December: Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight [Author Unknown]

January: Njal's Saga [Author Unknown]
February: The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
March: Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
April: Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio de Maria
May: Lectures on Literature by Vladimir Nabokov
June: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
July: Warlock by Oakley Hall
August: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott
September: The Magus by John Fowles
October: I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara
November: Arcadia by Tom Stoppard
December: Christmas Stories by Charles Dickens

Current:

Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/Roadside-Picnic-Rediscovered-Classics-Strugatsky/dp/1613743416

About the book:

quote:

Roadside Picnic is a work of fiction based on the aftermath of an extraterrestrial event called the Visitation that simultaneously took place in half a dozen separate locations around Earth over a two-day period. Neither the Visitors themselves nor their means of arrival or departure were ever seen by the local populations who lived inside the relatively small areas, each a few square kilometers, of the six Visitation Zones. The zones exhibit strange and dangerous phenomena not understood by humans, and contain artifacts with inexplicable, seemingly supernatural properties.

The title of the novel derives from an analogy proposed by the character Dr. Valentine Pilman:

A picnic. Picture a forest, a country road, a meadow. Cars drive off the country road into the meadow, a group of young people get out carrying bottles, baskets of food, transistor radios, and cameras. They light fires, pitch tents, turn on the music. In the morning they leave. The animals, birds, and insects that watched in horror through the long night creep out from their hiding places. And what do they see? Old spark plugs and old filters strewn around... Rags, burnt-out bulbs, and a monkey wrench left behind... And of course, the usual mess—apple cores, candy wrappers, charred remains of the campfire, cans, bottles, somebody’s handkerchief, somebody’s penknife, torn newspapers, coins, faded flowers picked in another meadow.

quote:

The story was written by the Strugatsky brothers in 1971 (the first outlines were written January 18–27 in Leningrad . . .

Roadside Picnic was refused publication in book form in the Soviet Union for eight years due to government censorship and numerous delays. The heavily censored versions published between 1980 and 1990 significantly departed from the original version.[3] A Russian-language version endorsed by the Strugatsky brothers as the original was published in the 1990s.[citation needed]

About the Author(s)

quote:

The Strugatsky brothers (братья Стругацкие or simply Стругацкие) were born to Natan Strugatsky, an art critic, and his wife, a teacher. Their father was Jewish and their mother was Russian Orthodox. Their early work was influenced by Ivan Yefremov and Stanisław Lem. Later they went on to develop their own, unique style of science fiction writing that emerged from the period of Soviet rationalism in Soviet literature and evolved into novels interpreted as works of social criticism.[1]

Their best-known novel, Piknik na obochine,has been translated into English as Roadside Picnic. Andrei Tarkovsky adapted the novel for the screen as Stalker (1979).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkady_and_Boris_Strugatsky

Themes

quote:

The implied picture of humanity is not flattering. In the traditional first contact story, communication is achieved by courageous and dedicated spacemen, and an exchange of knowledge, or a military triumph, or a big-business deal ensues. Here the aliens were utterly indifferent to us if they noticed our existence at all; there has been no communication, there can be no understanding; we are scarcely even savages or packrats—we are just garbage. And garbage pollutes, ferments. Corruption and crime attend the exploration of the Zones; disasters seem to pursue fugitives from them. A superintendent of the Institute thinks, "My God, we won't be able to do a thing! We don't have the power to contain this blight. Not because we don't work well.... It's just that that's the way the world is. And that's the way man is in this world. If there had never been the Visitation, there would have been something else. Pigs always find mud."

The book built on this dark foundation, is lively, racy, and likeable. It is set in North America—Canada, I assumed, I am not sure on what evidence—which may have some relevance to the economics of exploitation shown at work, but very little otherwise; the people are just ordinary people. But vivid, alive. The slimiest old stalker-profiteer has a revolting and endearing vitality. Human relations ring true. And there is courage and selflessness (though not symbolised by power, wealth, or a Star Fleet uniform) in the protagonist, Red, a stalker, a rough and ordinary man. Humanity is not flattered, but it isn't cheapened. Most of the characters are tough people leading degrading or discouraging lives, but they are presented without sentimentality and without cynicism; the authors' touch is tender, aware of vulnerability.

https://www.depauw.edu/sfs/backissues/12/leguin12.htm

quote:

By the third reading, though, I began to perceive Soviet details. For example, a wall is put up to protect the humans from the Zone, and it seems inconceivable that this was not related to the Berlin Wall. I resisted that interpretation, because such a reading reduces the Zone to mere “capitalism,” the stalkers to simple smugglers, and the wondrous alien artifacts to being only lipstick, blue jeans, and rock music—items of everyday Western “decadence” that worked their way into the USSR and “polluted” it. This transmutes the wonder into a typical anti-bourgeoisie rant. And yet I was forced to conclude that ultimately the work really is a devastating jeremiad by a pair of communist utopians earnestly warning about the horrors of capitalism.

. . .

The notion of the Strugatskys operating within a Western ideological blind spot is picked up by Stephen W. Potts in The Second Marxian Invasion (1991), where, on the topic of the Strugatsky novel Space Apprentice, he writes: “Despite Theodore Sturgeon’s contention (in his introduction to the 1981 Macmillan edition) that this novel contains very little Marxism, it is in fact wholly dialectical” (20). Potts continues this topic of ardent Marxism with regard to Roadside Picnic: “gangsterism is closely tied to capitalism in Marxist thought; since both are geared to the accumulation of material wealth to the exclusion of other values, one is merely a form of the other. This connection is evident in the behavior of Red and his colleagues and contacts” (78); and, “Of all the works of the Strugatsky brothers, Roadside Picnic provides the strongest criticism of the capitalist ethic” (80).

Finally, the highly influential Istvan Csicsery-Ronay, Jr. wrote in 1986 that Roadside Picnic is “a fable of the despair of the ’60s [Russian] intelligentsia facing the complete destruction of the [Soviet] reform movement” and sees it as “the convergence of Eastern and Western ennui, the fruit of global acquiescence to purely material satisfactions and the abdication of all higher moral purposes—the victory of ‘realism’ over utopian idealism” (“Towards the Last Fairy Tale,” Science Fiction Studies #38). This is encoded, but I read it as asserting that Roadside Picnic is a firmly pro-communist utopian work that rails against the anti-utopian West.

A summary of this survey is like examining the layers of an onion: we see that the Strugatskys were taken to be Soviet dissidents by the West’s hoi polloi; then Jameson, Landan, and Boer aver the brothers are not anti-Soviet, which implies a type of political neutrality; while Csicsery-Ronay and Potts claim the brothers are really quite pro-Soviet, demolishing the pretense of neutrality.

https://www.nyrsf.com/2013/01/the-politics-of-roadside-picnic-by-michael-andre-driussi.html

Pacing

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Reading

quote:

Even more interesting is how Roadside Picnic kicked off an unofficial franchise of sorts, being adapted into just about every medium imaginable. The core concept of the book has proven remarkably flexible in ways other stories may not; About Schmidt might make for a touching low-key drama, but it’s hard to see anyone making a pulse pounding video game or experimental soundtrack from it.

quote:

Tarkovsky’s take on Roadside Picnic jettisons most of the book, though bits and pieces remain. There’s still a Stalker, though he’s quite different from Red, coming across as more of a religious zealot. There’s talk of various traps and hidden dangers in The Zone, including the famous Meat Grinder, but none of them are set off and the dangers remain psychological. The filmmaker essentially used the book as a skeleton and built his own story around it.

Boris and Arkady Strugatsky didn’t seem to have a problem with this since they wrote Stalker’s screenplay. That said, the shoot was far from smooth. . . .

quote:

The album
Oh yeah, who’s for a little dark ambience to lighten things up?

If you like your soundscapes moody, dark, ominous and vaguely threatening, then Stalker by musicians Robert Rich and Brian Williams is for you. Like the title suggests the album is heavily inspired by Tarkovsky’s film, and it wouldn’t be hard to imagine the eerie music it features being played during the film itself. Naturally, the album isn’t a very mainstream affair and features tracks with cheerful titles such as Elemental Trigger, Omnipresent Boundary, and Undulating Terrain.

quote:

Critics look back on Tarkovsky’s Stalker and see a number of eerie parallels between it and Chernobyl, which also features a landscape where nature is reclaiming the land in the absence of mankind. Video game S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow Of Chernobyl took the natural step and moved The Zone to Chernobyl instead, while mixing elements of the book and film together. The game is a first person shooter/RPG set in the Exclusion Zone in the aftermath of a second disaster, which has produced bloodthirsty mutants, created lethal abnormities and now hides artefacts for players to recover.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/culture/roadside-picnic/268153/get-in-the-zone-the-many-adaptations-of-roadside-picnic

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Big fan of Roadside Picnic, it got me reading a bunch of other Strugatsky books too. Doomed City is also very good.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

A Russian troll farm posted:

Big fan of Roadside Picnic, it got me reading a bunch of other Strugatsky books too. Doomed City is also very good.

Agreed. I've been meaning to reread it for years now and this is the perfect impetus to do so.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
no reading of roadside picnic is complete without looking at the truly dire amc attempt to make a roadside picnic tv show
https://ok.ru/video/239286749947

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
also for those of you who are reading different translations lemme know what they translate the different artifacts/anomalies as. Ведьмин студень i think has been translated as "witch['s] jelly," but also "hell slime," "colloidal gas," and you could even make a case for "malicious goo" and it just goes to show that the world is a rich tapestry because all of those translations rule

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
There is only one admissible translation into English, which is the Bormashenko.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

The copy I have is a Gollancz edition from 2007 and it doesn't mention the translator anywhere in it.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i love that roadside picnic is meant to be set in america when the environment and the characters and the way everyone reacts to everything is just so, so russian

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

do you think the town being called harmont is a reference to the fallen watchers coming down from mount harmon in the book of enoch

avshalemon fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 7, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

1. Whenever the Strugatsky Brothers are brought up, I feel obliged to note (for the benefit of English speaking readers) that they have a rare gift for dialog and vivid description. Practically unique, by sci-fi writers standards. Picnic has a greater emphasis on descriptions than banter, naturally.

Translations tend to destroy / disregard that entirely, turning the whole thing into dry, expository sci-fi slog. (Unless some of the people discussing different translations care to offer a counterexample?)

2. I've never read much to suggest the zone and it's artifacts are capitalism, polluting Soviet society. That's fairly absurd on the face of it - the narrative takes place in Canada, and capitalism is what ends up polluting the zone. It's his alienation from capitalist society that determines Red's character, long before the visit takes place.

If you want to read the Strugatsky's critique of capitalist consumer society, the Final Circle of Paradise is on point.

3. I've always been vaguely interested in the impressions of someone who read the S.T.A.L.K.E.R novelizations. The novel-movie-game-trash transition must be fascinating from the perspective of anyone whose familiarity with the subject isn't limited to the games.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Tree Goat posted:

no reading of roadside picnic is complete without looking at the truly dire amc attempt to make a roadside picnic tv show
https://ok.ru/video/239286749947

Glad this popped up so early. Peep that Monkey

Been a few years since I read RP so I'm in. Played a lot of STALKER in those few years so interested to see how my game-addled brain will imagine the zone this time.

It goes without saying that Stalker the film is a great thing to watch before/during/after your reading of RP.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sham bam bamina! posted:

There is only one admissible translation into English, which is the Bormashenko.

Tree Goat posted:

also for those of you who are reading different translations lemme know what they translate the different artifacts/anomalies as. Ведьмин студень i think has been translated as "witch['s] jelly," but also "hell slime," "colloidal gas," and you could even make a case for "malicious goo" and it just goes to show that the world is a rich tapestry because all of those translations rule

The kindle version I read had "hell slime," which translation is that?

Apologies -- I should have included a section on the different translations in the OP, I actually didn't realize there were multiple English versions.

Xander77 posted:

the narrative takes place in Canada,

Does it? I didn't see a specific indicator in the translation I read, other than somewhere in the West generally. Maybe there were some clues I didn't put together?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The kindle version I read had "hell slime," which translation is that?

Apologies -- I should have included a section on the different translations in the OP, I actually didn't realize there were multiple English versions.

Does it? I didn't see a specific indicator in the translation I read, other than somewhere in the West generally. Maybe there were some clues I didn't put together?

i read the bouis translation growing up and thought it was very clunky, and it's somewhat unclear to me but i believe that the bouis one is what most of the english editions use. the bormashenko translation is from a few years ago and i thought was much improved. i believe it's a "hell slime" one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tree Goat posted:

i read the bouis translation growing up and thought it was very clunky, and it's somewhat unclear to me but i believe that the bouis one is what most of the english editions use. the bormashenko translation is from a few years ago and i thought was much improved. i believe it's a "hell slime" one.

Yeah, I checked -- the kindle edition linked above is the Bormashenko translation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Strugatskys' relationship to the regime and ideology of Soviet Union was pretty complicated and it'd be a disservice to call them strictly pro- or anti-Communist; IIRC they've been both expelled from and accepted back to the Communist Party multiple times and their books vary pretty heavily in approaches to their USSR analogues (probably best seen in Monday Begins on Saturday) .

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 7, 2019

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Well poo poo, the book on my shelf is definitely too early to be the Bormashenko translation. Guess I'll be tracking down the new translation before I reread it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tree Goat posted:

my version had hell slime, but yeah I'd be curious what some of the other stuff like empties, silver webs, spinners, and various anomalies are called. The only time the language felt clunky to me was when it was supposed to sound clunky like when the scientists described anomalies in their jargon vs the stalkers using theirs.

avshalemon posted:

i love that roadside picnic is meant to be set in america when the environment and the characters and the way everyone reacts to everything is just so, so russian

Funny, it struck me as very much a picture of what the US is becoming, but I also read the book in 2016. I mean it had trademark Russian bleakness and the names were a bit off, like the borsch, but I also attributed that to the fact the zone was less set in a Canadian small town, and more the international community set up around the small town ruined by the visit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Where do the Canada interpretations come from? As far as I can remember, they do not name or show any landmarks.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

anilEhilated posted:

Where do the Canada interpretations come from? As far as I can remember, they do not name or show any landmarks.

Dr. Pilman is the Canadian consultant to the UN and Harmont is his hometown, later Red asks something like “where in Canada do they find these guys?” when describing a pair of sentries.

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 8, 2019

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I read Roadside Picnic last year and loved it, glad to see it as BotM. I doubt I'll have time for a re-read but I am interested to see the discussion on it. I'll fourth or fifth or whatever the recommendation that the Bormashenko is great, though I haven't read another translation to compare it to. Definitely didnt feel dry or clinical though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have to check whether my translation is an old one. And also reread this book.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I ordered a new copy, but it's probably not gonna arrive until next month :negative:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the best chapter by far is the fourth one. the strugatskies are at their strongest when they're describing the weirdness of the zone and at their weakest when writing dialogue; almost every character interaction is some combination of a) incredibly russian and b) faintly surreal, not always in a positive way

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have to check whether my translation is an old one. And also reread this book.

if it's the one with the still from the Tarkovsky film on the cover then it's the new one

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
anyway the book is good and the robert rich/lustmord album is killer accompaniment

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

chernobyl kinsman posted:

almost every character interaction is some combination of a) incredibly russian
what are you talking about they write flawless canadian men

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

avshalemon posted:

The fact that there's any dialog whatsoever between two small-town Canadian men pretty much proves that to be untrue

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

avshalemon posted:

there's a difficulty here in that the introduction of the replicating Этак batteries means that the characters are unable to talk about the gas mileage of their cars while not making eye contact, and there are no a&ws that have been canonically shown to survive the Visitation, so under such unmoored circumstances we must assume that the Canadian character has been entirely transformed

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

and there are no a&ws that have been canonically shown to survive the Visitation

With such a deep-rooted cultural touchstone gone, it's hard to say whether Canada still exists as a national identity at that point

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Tree Goat posted:

there's a difficulty here in that the introduction of the replicating Этак batteries means that the characters are unable to talk about the gas mileage of their cars while not making eye contact, and there are no a&ws that have been canonically shown to survive the Visitation, so under such unmoored circumstances we must assume that the Canadian character has been entirely transformed
they have no time for cars, they're too busy with bar fights and organised crime and simmering homoerotic tension in the communal showers, like most canadians

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Yeah, I checked -- the kindle edition linked above is the Bormashenko translation.

The audio version on Audible is this translation, for what it is worth. It is how I experienced the book a month ago. Not a bad performance, but the narrator's accent made me think of old detective novels.

This is a thoroughly enjoyable book that accomplished the "weird" setting and desperate, bleak tone of things better than most that I've read with similar themes. I'm really looking forward to seeing ya'll discuss it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I'm a big fan of the time jumps and just seeing how things progress around the town, with the disparity between the residents still trapped near the zone and those who've flocked their to make a fortune. It's just like a gold rush, the poor saps putting their lives on the line aren't the ones getting rich, it's the ones selling shovels, and then later the cartels.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
So, I reread this story for maybe the fourth time and I wonder what the gently caress I had read the previous times? How could I have missed the zombies? I mean I am a pretty lovely and inattentive reader but I could remember maybe half the story, at best. Or maybe it was just a long time ago. I know I was still a non-drinker when I first read Stalker because on reread, I noticed I had failed to pick up on a lot of little alcohol-related things. I wonder what I'm still missing, by being a non-smoker...

I'll try to write something a little more meaningful later

Tree Goat posted:

"Gelatina stregata" ("bewitched jelly") in the (not very good) Italian translation I just read. "Colloidal gas" is simply what the scientists call it and I'm pretty sure it's translated the same in all editions because "colloidal" and "gas" are standard scientific terms

avshalemon posted:

The locations and how they're described are very European. Subtle things like important places in the city being a short walk away from each other, the apartment building having a yard where children play, old crones sitting on a bench knitting and talking poo poo about Monkey, the electronics store at the corner of the building, Burbridge having a painted metal fence around his house instead of a picket fence, Noonan driving a Peugeot... I forget what else. Similar feeling I got from Kafka's "American novel"

Dr. Pilman is Canadian
A mention of soldiers being recruited in Canada
A mention of "royal" military occupation money
A military helicopter caught in a mosquito mange has RAF markings

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm a big fan of the time jumps and just seeing how things progress around the town, with the disparity between the residents still trapped near the zone and those who've flocked their to make a fortune. It's just like a gold rush, the poor saps putting their lives on the line aren't the ones getting rich, it's the ones selling shovels, and then later the cartels.

Something I noticed this time is how Red grows up from a chapter to the next (and how life grinds him down). And this time, I noticed that all but the first chapter are written in third person, while the first is written in first person, from the point of view of Red. What I wouldn't give to see that last domestic scene (dinner with Noonan, late-stage Monkey and the "mold" of Red's father) from Red's POV...

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

hackbunny posted:

So, I reread this story for maybe the fourth time and I wonder what the gently caress I had read the previous times? How could I have missed the zombies? I mean I am a pretty lovely and inattentive reader but I could remember maybe half the story, at best. Or maybe it was just a long time ago. I know I was still a non-drinker when I first read Stalker because on reread, I noticed I had failed to pick up on a lot of little alcohol-related things. I wonder what I'm still missing, by being a non-smoker...

I'll try to write something a little more meaningful later

"Gelatina stregata" ("bewitched jelly") in the (not very good) Italian translation I just read. "Colloidal gas" is simply what the scientists call it and I'm pretty sure it's translated the same in all editions because "colloidal" and "gas" are standard scientific terms

The locations and how they're described are very European. Subtle things like important places in the city being a short walk away from each other, the apartment building having a yard where children play, old crones sitting on a bench knitting and talking poo poo about Monkey, the electronics store at the corner of the building, Burbridge having a painted metal fence around his house instead of a picket fence, Noonan driving a Peugeot... I forget what else. Similar feeling I got from Kafka's "American novel"

Dr. Pilman is Canadian
A mention of soldiers being recruited in Canada
A mention of "royal" military occupation money
A military helicopter caught in a mosquito mange has RAF markings

Did you reread the same copy? I read the zombies were one of the bits russian censors didn't like

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

hackbunny posted:

that’s disappointingly literal. if you’re gonna translate stuff like that i feel like you should have some fun with it

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

A personal observation (probably irrelevant? I'm pretty new to this book club stuff). I work in IT security, and on reread, the story reminded me a lot of the relationship between "researchers" (a term that suggests academic rigor, but they're really our stalkers) and the rest of the industry. Sure they don't risk their lives (not from the research process itself, at least), but they're the people with terrible personalities and honed instincts who venture where no one else will, bringing back incredible artifacts (vulnerabilities). Scientists often misunderstand the artifacts, or simply lack the instinctual understanding the stalkers have, and they come up with complex theoretical frameworks that rarely lead to useful applications. For more reliable results and faster acquisition of artifacts in bulk, scientists turn to automation. As silly as it seems in the context of software, yes, there are "guards" posted around some "zones" - some companies have been known to legally prosecute researchers who find flaws in their software. And yes, of course there's a healthy black market

I've done some research myself, but it was always a secondary activity, my livelihood never depended on it, so I've never understood the frequent outbursts of researchers on the state of the IT security industry. I'm closer to understanding, but no closer to feeling sympathy for them... Red's great redemptive act is providing for his family while he's in prison... by selling his soul to the military industrial complex

Coolness Averted posted:

Did you reread the same copy? I read the zombies were one of the bits russian censors didn't like

Huh cool, I had no idea. I wish I could track down the copy I read originally. I'm pretty sure the zombies weren't completely cut out because I remember it had Dr. Pilman's line on how zombies aren't that out of the ordinary, they "just" violate the second law of thermodynamics while the perpetual motion rings violate the first

Tree Goat posted:

that’s disappointingly literal. if you’re gonna translate stuff like that i feel like you should have some fun with it

It's a pretty mediocre translation overall, with some especially bad parts - черных брызг was translated as "spruzzatori di nero" - black sprayers - which is simply wrong. Together with the literal translation of "bitches" (as "cagna", female dog) in сучьи погремушки, it makes me think that it's actually based on an English translation instead of the original Russian

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 13, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The audio version on Audible is this translation, for what it is worth. It is how I experienced the book a month ago. Not a bad performance, but the narrator's accent made me think of old detective novels
You should check out The Dead Mountaineer's Hotel. The authors weren't very fond of it, but I think it works well.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

This seems interesting! I just picked up the audio book, I'll probably be finishing it on Friday if it's good and I can stay engrossed through my drive home.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
skinner's experiments on pigeons discovered that if you use a random reward schedule on pigeons, they will perform "superstitious" actions (such as noticing that the reward pellet dropped when they were preening, and so start preening all the time) that become gradually more nonsensically elaborate (noticing that preening doesn't seem to work, so maybe it only works if they face in a certain direction, or hop on one foot, etc.).

the hovercraft that the official scientific expeditions use in the zone are programmed to follow the return path exactly, even doing things that seem irrational like pausing for the exact length of time it took red to throw bolts to test for anomalies. this is despite the fact that the path going out is often nearly arbitrary. we see this repeated slightly more metaphorically with how the swag is used and how the stalkers interact with the zone, with patterns of superstitious action that build on each other without end.

the zone is an enormous skinner box with a random reward schedule that is generating human behavior that is increasingly irrational and unhinged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just finished chapter three and, as people said before, the scene "dinner with nounan" is memorably disturbing; that's when, for me, the book fully established itself, meaning when it stood on its own, distinct from the "Stalker" video games I previously couldn't avoid comparing them to.