Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

Regallion posted:

what a helpful premonition
:thunk:

Well, it's a purple and orange explosion with cabinet bits in it at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 03 - What We Missed

10/30 pages unseen
20/31 clues unseen
Here's where we started missing things. There's a lot to go over here
1. We never checked the other route from the air vents that goes to a dark room, and that's where most of the content.
2. There's a hanging ladder with missing rungs we could climb using the Large Wooden Dowel from Chapter 01. It gives a Taser, which lets you use a battery to win a fight.
3. Also in the dark room was an alien ship where we could have found a notebook that was good for +1 to perception rolls.
4. We also never went into the freezer area, and that's my favorite card of the game, because it contains the legendary Bananimal. We fight it and either die (death occurs on a clue card, interestingly enough, which means those aren't safe) or win and eat it to lose danger, gain psychic power, and loot the room for a battery and a Ghost Trap (which would have let us auto-defeat that ghost in Chapter 5.)

5. We never went into the printing press, where they were printing very bad fake money (featuring bananas). We could fight a chimp for a tracksuit in there that would boost dexterity rolls.
6. If we had passed the check in the beginning to listen at the air vent, we would have heard some info about Carol's evil plans, but nothing that we ended up missing.

6 We avoided the obvious signposted Vault death.
7. Also the Water Closet was a death (that we also caught from a premonition) - but not a toilet based one. It was a closet full of so much water the room floods and you drown.
8. If you fight the Professor, it's a game over because someone closes the cell behind you. It's a death that only occurs on a clue card.
9. The other main thing we missed was: what happens if you got to the end without a keycard? It asked for Clue 28 or 77, where's 77? And what's on Page 88? Okay, you go into a ceiling hole. Then you get a sequence of clues, each with a challenge - Climb the Shaft, Perception to Avoid Falling, Jump to a Ledge with Dexterity, Move Rocks with Strength, Fight Annoyed Smoking Chimp Who Is On Its Break, and then Conquer the 10-Foot Guinea Pig With Literally any Challenge You'd Like. That gets you the Clue 77 keycard.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 04 - What We Missed

9/30 pages unseen
7/18 clues unseen

We cleared most of Chapter 4, and a lot of what we missed was due to us being well-prepared.

1. We skipped over the Cloning chamber (it was the room where we could blow open the wall to enter it), where we could have made a clone of ourself. With our psychic powers at the time, we would have known that the clone would be evil and we'd have to fight it, but only with a minor penalty on loss of 2 Danger. The clone does not come up again, sadly.
2. As we had surmised, pyrokinesis would be fatal.
3. We missed a premonition of pink crystals, which is how we could have known to not get our head exploded.
4. If we went to the mess hall after the break in the middle, we could have picked up an MRE that would lower danger about as well as the sandwich.
5. If we had just tried to assault Carol and the computer on our own with no truck or anything else, we would have died.
6. But if you didn't have the truck keys, you got to hotwire the spaceship, which immediately crashes through the wall and starts firing lasers randomly. This deals with Carol and the chimpanzees well enough, but then you have to do a Dexterity check to deactivate the computer.
7. We picked up three bits of info that attached to existing clues from previous chapters, but we never saw what those go to. But we will... in Chapter 5.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 05 - What We Missed

Unseen Cards: 23/33
Unseen Clues: 15/20

We managed to skip a large portion of chapter 5. Some of the story cards are tied to endings (and you'll only see one of those per playthrough in any case) but we didn't touch the prison at all.

1. The mushrooms were mostly irrelevant. The striped mushrooms would have given a one time +3 to a strength check (which is good, given that's the last challenge of the game that we saw), and eating both gives no penalty, but only a +1 to strength checks. We also missed a couple of batteries.

2. If we had taken the Prison Entrance, there were so many options we were ready for. There was an immediate prompt for the Marsden Ring, which brings you straight to the room with the pool of goo. Another option just puts you at the beginning of the route we took.
3. If you continue along the route, you see poltergeist-thrown filing cabinets, a ghost digging his way out (and a death if you go through the tunnel to his cell where you are trapped inside)
4. There are deaths if you go into an infirmary (it's full of ghosts that will dissect you) or into an inincerator (it's full of ghost fire, which definitely does burn you)
5. There's another way into the Ambassador's cell if we take the prison, though - we can shoot it open with the gun. Otherwise we need to circle around, not die in the infirmary, and follow the path we actually took.

6. Now at the end of the game, there was a Psychic Scale check along with a translator check. We got the best ending, which requires the Psychic Level of 5. But that doesn't use any of our neat stuff.
7. At Psychic Level 1, the clue indicates we get a "bad feeling". You question him about it, and the ambassador becomes enraged, which makes sense that he was thrown into a prison where he was used for terrible experiments while he stuff was used for evil. He then decides to kill you and the professor. You fight him, he tells you that the coming fleet will destroy there Earth, and the Professor might have a plan to stop them but he needs a few specific items. But let's assume for the moment that you don't have all of the psychically significant items. If you don't have any, your Danger Meter jumps up by 6 (which is irrelevant, there are no rolls or psychic checks remaining, sadly) and you're taken to the same place as if you only had one or two.

8. From here, you're locked into one of two endings based on the number of items you have. If you don't have 12 or more items ( and not the three specific items he needs), you and the professor hop into his faster than light ship then are destroyed since you lack the fuel to leave. Any 12 items will do.
9. If you do have the items, you and the professor leave, but the Earth is destroyed. Also not great.

10. Now let's assume you did a bit better and have a mid-range psychic level. You have the option to trust the ambassador or not. When we were hella psychic, he was 100% trustworthy, and when we weren't psychic at all, he was not. So in the middle, the planet is noted as scheduled for extinction due to high crimes against the Krysalik (see kidnapping/torture), but they have opted to quarantine the planet and disintegrate the professor and you to get rid of the knowledge of THE ALIEN SCIENCE. This is probably better than the previous two endings, but I feel like we can still do better.

11. Now, let's assume you kicked several kinds of rear end but had a lot unluckly rolls, so you have all the items but didn't have the Psychic Level we ended with. That's where you get the hardest to access ending. With the Quantum Synthesis Stabilizer, Hyper-hypersonic Isotropic Resonator, and Valence Conduction Capacitor (you need both the original items from chapters 1-3 and the labels for them in chapter 4!) the Professor can construct a doomsday device. BUT! It needs a 9-volt battery too, so if you didn't save one the Earth is destroyed anyway as per the earlier ending.
12. But if you do have the battery as well, you destroy the entire fleet with one mighty blast and the world is saved. You learn nothing and the professor's hubris remains unpunished, but everyone lives except for the aliens!

So that's it for House of Danger. I hoped you all enjoyed reading it, and I recommend picking it up as a gift - it's a pretty fun game to play with friends once or twice, and is quite easy to pick up.