Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
BEWARE!
THE HOUSE OF DANGER!

(images from cover of box and back of game board)

I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey. House of Danger is a board game... port? of a classic Choose Your Own Adventure book. It seems fairly faithful to the original book from what I understand, but it more merciful in some ways (and less so in others.)

This is a cooperative adventure in which *you* will need to make many choices and overcome challenges! When a choice is reached, I'll prompt for a response and whatever option has the most responses when I come back will be what we go with! Don't worry about making wrong choices, especially on the first run - the worst that can happen is that we die and learn a choice to not take next time. There are a few bits of game mechanics, but we'll go over those as we come across them, they're nothing to worry about yet.

What we will do is take sufficient journeys until we find a satisfying ending. I have seen much (but not all) of the game, and hope to explore the rest of it with you, so please, no spoilers. Even if it's knowledge from the original book, just keep it under your literal or metaphorical hat, because things are going to get *weird* in this one.

So let us move on into...
THE HOUSE OF DANGER

Table of Contents
----
Campaign 1
Chapter 01 - Page 01
Chapter 01 - Page 07
Chapter 01 - Page 07 Continued
Chapter 01 - Page 27
Chapter 01 - Page 27 Continued
Chapter 01 - Page 02
Chapter 01 - Page 25
Chapter 01 - Page 10
Chapter 01 - Page 04
Chapter 01 - Page 04 Continued
Chapter 01 - Page 05
Chapter 01 - Page 05 Continued
Chapter 01 - Clue 24
Chapter 01 - Clue 01
Chapter 01 - Clue 03
Chapter 01 - Page 17
Chapter 01 - Page 23
Chapter 01 - Page 23 Continued
Chapter 01 - Page 28
Chapter 01 - Page 16
----
Chapter 02 - Page 31
Chapter 02 - Page 42
Chapter 02 - Page 42 Continued
Chapter 02 - Page 44
Chapter 02 - Page 41
Chapter 02 - Page 57
Chapter 02 - Page 57 Continued
Chapter 02 - Page 35
Chapter 02 - Clue 32
Chapter 02 - Page 33
Chapter 02 - Page 33 Continued
Chapter 02 - Page 39
Chapter 02 - Page 39 Continued
Chapter 02 - Page 59 Continued
Chapter 02 - Page 34 Continued
Chapter 02 - Page 53
Chapter 02 - Page 43
Chapter 02 - Page 51
Chapter 02 - Page 37
Chapter 02 - Page 54
Chapter 02 - Page 56
Chapter 02 - Page 56 Continued
Chapter 02 - Page 37
Chapter 02 - Clue 47
----
Chapter 03 - Introduction and Page 61
Chapter 03 - Page 71
Chapter 03 - Page 65
Chapter 03 - Page 65 Continued
Chapter 03 - Page 67
Chapter 03 - Page 67 Continued
Chapter 03 - Page 62
Chapter 03 - Page 63
Chapter 03 - Clue 67
Chapter 03 - Page 78
Chapter 03 - Page 81
Chapter 03 - Page 74 Again
Chapter 03 - Page 77 Continued
--
Chapter 03 - Page 64 Continued, Chapter 04 - Intro and Page 91
Chapter 04 - Page 115
Chapter 04 - Page 106
Chapter 04 - Clue 98
Chapter 04 - Clue 97
Chapter 04 - Page 94 Continued
Chapter 04 - Page 96
Chapter 04 - Page 95
Chapter 04 - Page 118
Chapter 04 - Page 93
Chapter 04 - Page 93 Continued
Chapter 04 - Page 112 Continued
Chapter 04 - Page 119
-------
Chapter 04 - Page 98, Chapter 05 - Intro and Page 121
Chapter 05 - Page 133
Chapter 05 - Page 142
Chapter 05 - Page 144
Chapter 05 - Page 134
Chapter 05 - Page 125
Chapter 05 - Page 128
Chapter 05 - Page 135

---
Premonition Images

----
Deaths
Tangela used Vine Whip. It was super effective!
Violin graphics.
There was a hole here, it's gone now.
The Attack of the 20Ft Ghost!
Entered the light.
Oh no, JC! A bomb!
Chimps! With Blowguns!
Thirty-seven felonies!
We have the heart of a child! Also the heart of an old man.
One bird in one fir tree.
Head Explody!

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Campaign 01, Chapter 01 - Page 00-01

(In the interest of not loading this down with text-only images, I'll do transcriptions of all cards, but not include those without a picture)

THE GROUNDS: CHAPTER ONE
It's a Tuesday morning in Late June, and you wake up in a cold sweat. The nightmares came again last night. Even though you are an aspiring detective and psychic investigator, you haven't been able to make sense of the haunting dreams you've had these past few weeks. In your dreams you keep seeing the same spooky house. You're still shivering under the covers when you hear the phone ring downstairs in your basement, where you have your combination office and research laboratory. You dash down to the lab to answer it.
"I need... I need...," a weak voice says when you pick up the receiver. "I need your hel-l-l-lp." You hear a loud click, and the phone goes dead.
But you were prepared: while the caller was talking, you activated your high-speed telephone tracing device. It instantly displays the caller's number: 555-7259.
You call the number back right away, but there's no answer, after consulting the tall stack of reverse phone books behind your desk, you are disappointed to learn that the number is unlisted.
You sense that the phone call is somehow related to your nightmares.
Later, while at the Hedge Brook Police Station to return a night scope you borrowed for a recent stakeout, you describe the mysterious phone call and your recurring dreams to your friend, Sergeant Morrison.
"That call does sound strange," he says. "We'll look into it."
"And about that house in your dreams," a voice says from the hallway. "I wonder if you're dreaming about the Marsden house out on Hedge Brook road." Detective Murphy sticks his mustached face into the room.
"Modern house, ornate gate... that sounds like the Marsden place, all right," says Sergeant Morrison. "Strange things are reported to happen out there."
Detective Murphy takes a puff on his pipe. "That place is haunted," he says. "I know it sounds unprofessional, but I've had a file on the Marsden house for years, and I'm sure of it." He waves a folder in front of your eyes, and a phone number written on the front jumps out at you. It matches the one from your mysterious phone call.
So the call is related to your nightmares - your psychic sense was right!
Draw Clue 26 to discover your goal.

Back at home, you grab a bottle of water and your trusty pocketknife, preparing for a new investigation. Half an hour later, you stand before the Marsden residence, which appears exactly as it did in your nightmares. The house's futuristic look is a strange contrast to the antiquated appearance of the stone wall and the wrought iron gate, which is locked shut and wrapped in steel chains.
Even though the air is balmy, a chill travels down your spine. The gathering clouds on the horizon hint at a brewing summer thunderstorm.

---------------------------------------
PLEASE VOTE:
If you search the wall for a way in, go to Story Card 13.
--
If you climb the gate, go to story card 7.

Gameplay basics, game State and Kept Clues

The game board is pretty simple. There's a psychic scale, we're at 3 of 25. Every 5 points above 1, we reach another psychic level, and higher is good. Various events in the game will increase and reduce our Psychic Power.

The Danger Meter inidcates how difficult challenges are (we'll go over the specifics when a challenge is reached). The higher the meter is, the more difficult challenges get, and when it maxes out we lose two psychic power and reset to the 3 where the line indicates. Events over the course of the game will raise and lower the danger meter.

Current Items:
Pocketknife: +1 to Fighting Challenges
Bottle of Water: Discard at any time to reduce the Danger Meter by 3.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 19, 2019

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't like to start out my detective investigations by trespassing.

Investigate the wall.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I like to start my detecting via trespassing

Hop the gate

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Slaan posted:

I like to start my detecting via trespassing

Hop the gate

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 01, Page 07

You pull yourself over the rustling gate and land with a CRUNCH on the gravel driveway leading to the house. But before you can survey your surroundings, you hear a guttural sound coming from your left.
You encounter a shadowy, hunched over figure emerging from the darkened doorway of a decrepit gatehouse. You can just barely make out eyes and white fangs dripping with saliva. The figure crouches, as if to spring outward at any moment.
"Who's th-there?" you stammer. Suddenly, the creature lunges at you, snarling. You spot a guardhouse not far away. If you can get past the creature, you might be able to hide there. Or perhaps you should just turn and flee up the driveway toward the main house!

PLEASE VOTE:

Would you like to take the optional challenge? As a followup, would you like to take *every* optional challenge when they come up?

In any case, please choose between

If you run into the guardhouse, go to Story Card 19
--
IF you run up the driveway, go to Story Card 8.

Game State and Kept Clues

Current Items:

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 18, 2019

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Fight and enter the guardhouse.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Comstar posted:

Fight and enter the guardhouse.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 01 - Page 07 Continued

We are attempting the FIGHT challenge! The Danger Meter is at 3, so we need to roll a 3 or better on the 6-sided die, but since we have our trusty pocket knife, we can use that as a booster. We can use one booster for a challenge, and the knife gives us +1 to fighting challenges. If we roll a 1, we automatically lose the challenge and any boost items we are using. But as shown above, we rolled a 6. Good work, team!

Success sends us to Clue 10. Clues are separate from Story cards and contain events, hints, and items.

Clue 10
It's probably unwise to engage such a savage beast in combat, but Danger is your middle name. You land a few quick jabs on the creature before it can react, and then you throw it to the ground. You stand there for a moment, your confidence high. Then, the creature leaps to its feet and rushes you. You managed to win Round One, but you're in no hurry to start Round Two, so you race for the shadows beside a big boulder before the creature can get it's hands on you.
---
Draw Clue 25

Clue 25

You find a pair of binoculars in the shadows. With the creature on the loose, you can't hide here forever, so you run to the guardhouse.
--
Keep this item
Go to Story Card 19

As you can see, some Clue cards can redirect you to other story cards. Luckily, it's sending us to where we wanted to go in the first place.

Chapter 1 - Page 19
You were lucky to escape the creature, but you know it's still out there... somewhere. You run into the old guardhouse, which is a small room with several TV monitors flashing black-and-white images of various places on the estate grounds. Some monitors are broken, and shards of glass are scattered across a desk and the wood floors.
A hefty book entitled History of Northwin County is lying on the desk. Curious, you look up the name "Marsden, Henry" in the index. Sure enough, it references an entry on page 93. Your heart races as you turn to read this bio:
Henry Marsden, born 1839, died 1887. General in the Union Army during the Civil War. Severly wounded in the Battle of Shiloh in 1862. Appointed warden of the Hedge Brook Prison in 1880. Rumored to have been killed in the Prison Riot Fire of 1887.
Not a popular guy.
you think.
The desk has three drawers - maybe there's something useful inside. A wooden ladder leads up to a hatch in the roof. Through a window filled with cobwebs you can see an open field that leads to the manor's front door. You consider what to do next.

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE:
Search the Desk Drawers (Perception).
Win: Draw Clue 4.
Lose: Raise the Danger Meter by one.

PLEASE VOTE:

Would you like to take the optional challenge? As a followup, would you like to take *every* optional challenge when they come up?

If you climb the ladder to the hatch in the roof, go to Story Card 27
--
If you crawl through the window and run for the front door of the house, go to Story Card 3.

Current Items:
Binoculars: +2 to Perception Challenges.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 18, 2019

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We got that perception bonus now so take the challenge and also take the ladder. Height makes right

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Slaan posted:

We got that perception bonus now so take the challenge and also take the ladder. Height makes right

Use our binoculars to search the drawers! It makes perfect sense! And yes, climb the ladder because every Jedi knows it's always best to hold the high ground.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Search the drawers, climb the ladder, don't auto-do every challenge.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 01 - Page 19 Continued

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE:
Search the Desk Drawers (Perception).
Win: Draw Clue 4.

With these binoculars, we need 2+ for a successful search. We get a 5! So we check clue 4 and it's... a battery.

Clue 4:
You find a battery in a drawer. It could power a flashlight. Or a Taser. Or who knows what else.

This sends us back to 19, where we have opted to climb the ladder to go to 27.

Chapter 01 - Page 27

You scramble up the ladder, through the hatch, and onto the guardhouse's decaying tile roof. It seems to be on the verge of collapsing, but you find a spot that you are reasonably sure won't cave in when you put your weight on it.
Across the dangerously unstable roof from where you crouch uneasily, you can see a pile of construction materials, probably left over by contractors working on the roof. Among the material is a first aid kit, but navigating the length of the roof to reach it will be perilous. One wrong step and you could stumble off the roof, into a ditch you see below.
Near you is a thick vine that you could climb down to reach a courtyard, and not too far from you is a long board someone has laid between the roof and a nearby greenhouse, which seems to be sturdier than the guardhouse.

Optional Dexterity Challenge: Get to the first aid kit
Win: Draw Clue 6, then make Story Choice below.
Lose: Raise Danger Meter by two and go to Story Card 26.

PLEASE VOTE:

Would you like to take the optional challenge? It does force a story card if we fail it.

If you cross to the greenhouse, go to Story Card 29.
---

If you climb down the vine, go to Story Card 14.

Current Items:
Battery: Is a battery. Might be useful to power something later.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 18, 2019

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Go to the greenhouse. I think we've tested our luck far enough.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Throw all the dice all the time

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
Go to the greenhouse

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
It's a Choose Your Own Adventure game, we're taking everything not nailed down. Take the optional challenge, take EVERY optional challenge going forward, and cross to the greenhouse.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm dropping the "take every challenge" for this run, since that frequently can change available choices in ways I had not anticipated. I will assume all instances of "take every challenge" will apply to votes for this challenge for at least the remainder of this run.

Chapter 01 - Page 27 Continued
Optional Dexterity Challenge: Get to the first aid kit
[i]Win: Draw Clue 6, then make Story Choice below.
Lose: Raise Danger Meter by two and go to Story Card 26.

No relevant items, so we need to roll a 3 or better.

Clue 06:
First Aid Kit

The first aid kit is fully stocked. The way things are going, you're sure you'll need it. Discard at any time to lower Danger Meter by four.

We have opted to move on to the greenhouse on Page 29.

Chapter 01 - Page 29
After crossing the precarious board, you find yourself at one end of a walkway that spans the length of the greenhouse roof. From here you can see most of the mansion's vast grounds, which are a little out of place amid the surrounding suburban neighborhood. The air is full of mosquitoes and other buzzing insects. The clouds you saw on the horizon earlier seem to be closer now. You see that there's an open access door in the roof that would allow you to descend into the greenhouse. You can also drop down onto a path, which appears to lead into the side of the mansion itself.

PLEASE VOTE:

If you wriggle through the access door and enter the greenhouse, go to Story Card 2
---

If you drop onto the path and run to the side of the house, go to Story Card 20.

Current Items:
First Aid Kit: Discard at any time to reduce the Danger Meter by 4.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 19, 2019

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
We didn't come this far to back out now - enter the greenhouse

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

enter the greenhouse

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 01 - Page 02

In one heroic move, you jump into the opening of the roof access door and land on your feet inside the greenhouse, ninja-like. You take a deep breath, ninja-like. You collect yourself, ninja-like. You assess the situation... like a ninja.
The botanical specimens in this greenhouse are unlike anything you're ever seen. Glossy pink bulbs seven feet across sit atop yellow vines that spread horizontally for twenty feet. One plant with sharp spikes is actually see-through.
Suddenly, you hear a rustling sound. You look to the corner of the room and see a dark-green cluster of vertical vines twitching and shaking. I might not be alone, you think.
Through the wall of the greenhouse, you spot a commotion of some kind on top of a gazebo just beyond the trees about forty feet away. You need to think fast!

PLEASE VOTE:

If you check out the writhing vines, go to Story Card 25.
---

If you dash outside to explore the commotion on the gazebo, go to Story Card 9.

Current Items:

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 20, 2019

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If you check out the writhing vies, go to Story Card 25.

Beyond having more in common with a Fighting Fantasy gamebook, why is this a board game?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Comstar posted:

If you check out the writhing vies, go to Story Card 25.

Beyond having more in common with a Fighting Fantasy gamebook, why is this a board game?

Error noted and edited.
The game is for 1+ players - the differences in play are literally that the reader goes clockwise from the previous person (so each person gets a chance to read), everyone votes on where to go next, and the reader gets to break ties when they come up and do all rolling until the next card. So the gameplay is not substantially different from a Fighting Fantasy, except for a couple of things we'll see later and the way it's formatted into cards and such to allow a group to easily view it.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 01 - Page 25

As soon as you take a step toward the vines, one of them lashes out and wraps around your neck. Then another whips around your waist. More and more vines spring out at you.
This isn't really happening, you think.
The vines are moving all around you, spinning you into a cocoon. You struggle to break free of all of them, but they only tighten their grip on you. This can't be real! Eventually, you can't breathe. Everything seems to turn a deep green, then you see a bright white light - and then you no longer exist.

THE END
Move back 1 space on the Psychic Scale and return to Story Card 2

That's how most deaths are handled in this game - an inconvenience and a Psychic Scale decrease. It's good to have a higher Psychic Scale, but this might not really impact us, especially this early. Given that Story Card 2's other option is to go to the gazebo on 9, let's just head over there.

Chapter 01 - Page 09
You sprint along to the gazebo, practically pushed along by the winds that are picking up. A light sprinkling of rain spatters the ground as you run.
You make it to the shelter of the structure, and the mayhem occurring above you on the roof increases in intensity.
Who is up there, and what are they doing? you wonder.
You notice a driveway about twenty feet away.

Premonition
If you are Level 2 or higher on the Psychic Scale, draw Clue 27.
Premonitions are pictures that warn us of things to come. We haven't picked up any Psychic Scale this run, so we're still at Level 1. We miss this one this time.

PLEASE VOTE:

If you climb to the top of the gazebo, go to Story Card 10.
---

If you run to the driveway, go to Story Card 30.

Current Psychic Power: 02 points, Level 01.

Current Items:

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 20, 2019

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
Whoo, our first of what I'm sure will be many deaths! :toot:

Climb that Gazebo

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Every Jedi knows to take the high ground

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Interesting that we could have picked up 3 Psychic points somewhere that we missed... Let's climb the gazebo!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 01 - Page 10

You stand out on the gazebo's railing, steadying yourself by gripping an ornate post holding up the roof. The rumbling above sounds and feels frightening - what are you getting yourself into?
Reluctant to barge into the middle of this situation, you raise yourself just enough for a peek and discover there is no one on the gazebo roof. The commotion is actually a large satellite dish, broken into three pieces. The big, jagged fragments are still connected to the base by wires, and the violent winds are spinning them in a circle with great force.
Flailing wildly like an angry octopus, the satellite dish almost hits you in the face. You might be able to grab a piece zooming by.

REQUIRED CHALLENGE
Attempt to grab a piece of the satellite dish

WIN: Draw Clue 22.
LOSE: Draw Clue 17.

We got a... 3! Which means we draw Clue 22:

Chapter 01 - Clue 22:
You hold on to the top of the gazebo with one hand and time your lunge perfectly - you snag a chunk of the whirling satellite dish.
The piece appears to be made by hand. An engraving on it reads PLANET OF CRYSTALIS.
Draw Clue 7.

Chapter 01 - Clue 07:
SATELLITE DISH
Your psychic sense tell you this is an important item. You look to your left and see a path to a driveway that might be the front of the house. You jump off the gazebo and run to check it out.
Keep this item. Move forward 1 space on the Psychic Scale. Go to Story Card 30.

Chapter 01 - Page 30:
CHAPTER ONE GOAL ACHIEVED.
You appear in a driveway, which leads you to the mansion's entrance. On the door is a plaque that reads MARSDEN and a large crystal doorknocker, which seems newer than everything else on the front of the building. You knock loudly, many times. But there is no answer. The storm is really picking up now. You try the doorknob and are surprised to find that the door is unlocked.
You've been lucky enough so far, but you wonder if you've missed something. Before you enter the house, you look back. You can see a few clear paths. One leads toward a statuary, another to a small cemetary. Two more paths stretch out to a watery ditch with a gate and the house's luxurious pool. You could go back to explore if you want.

STORY RETURN!
There are items in this chapter that will be useful later in the story. You can take a risk and go back for any you missed by following the choices below:
Great work everyone, we completed Chapter 01! We have the option of returning to various points earlier in the chapter, but doing so increases the Danger Meter. We can also can't re-do any previous optional challenges (not that we need to do so yet), and if we had received any other benefits we don't get them additional times.

PLEASE VOTE:

If you head to the statuary, raise Danger Meter by two and go to Story Card 4.
---

If you head to the cemetery, raise Danger Meter by two and go to Story Card 21.
----

If you head to the ditch, raise Danger Meter by two and go to story card 26.
---

If you head to the pool, raise Danger Meter by two and go to story card 23.

-----
Otherwise you may advance to Chapter Two. Keep all inventory items.

Current Psychic Power: 03 points, Level 01.

Current Items:
Satellite Dish: Psychic senses say it's important. No currently known use.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 20, 2019

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
[b]If you head to the statuary, raise Danger Meter by two and go to Story Card 4.[/.b] Because I want to know what the hell a statuary is. Is it some time of strange accountant or life insurer?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
We have opted to go to the Statuary, which increases the Danger Meter by 2. We're still at a difficulty of 3, so we're fine for now.

Chapter 01 - Page 04
The horseman is a dashing, bearded Civil War soldier, his bronze face stoic. He holds out a cavalry sabre toward the brooding sky. The sword's edge glints in the weak sunlight that penetrates the thickening clouds above. The sword looks almost new.
At the base of the statue is a plaque that proclaims this as a memorial to Henry Marsden. The plaque reads:
Henry Marsden, born 1839, died 1887. General in the Union Army during the Civil War. Severely wounded at the Battle of Shiloh in 1862. Appointed warden of Hedge Brook Prison in 1880.
To your left is the entrance to a hedge maze. To your right is a graying picket fence with a rickety wooden gate. You can see two stone angel statues and beyond them, a cemetary.

Optional Perception Challenge: Search the monument's base
Win: Draw clue 18.

Optional Climbing Challenge: Climb the statue to examine the sabre
Win: Draw Clue 2
Lose: Raise the Danger Meter by two. You may try again.

PLEASE VOTE:

Do we want to attempt one or both of the optional challenges? If so, in any particular order? Do we want to redo the Climbing challenge any number of times

In any case

If you enter the hedge maze, go to Story Card 12
----
If you visit the cemetary, go to Story Card 21.

Current Danger Meter: 03 points, Difficulty 03.

Current Items:

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 21, 2019

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Saber and Cemetery

We need a sword to slay zombies with

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
Use our binoculars to do the perception challenge, then do the climbing challenge

Going to a cemetery of a haunted house sounds like a good idea

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Shingouryu posted:

Use our binoculars to do the perception challenge, then do the climbing challenge

Going to a cemetery of a haunted house sounds like a good idea

Sounds like a solid plan.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 01 - Page 04 Continued
We're going to give both challenges a try, and we have a handy boost to the first one for Perception!

Well, that's unfortunate. We rolled on the perception so we automatically lose the challenge *and the equipment we used for it*. Goodbye, binoculars, we hardly knew ye.
On the plus side, we did still make the Climbing check with the additional difficulty we get get to look at this rad sword!

Chapter 01 - Clue 02
The sabre comes loose in your hand. It's heavy and quite sharp. Your psychic sense tell you this is an important item.
Keep this item. Move forward 2 spaces on the Psychic Scale. Finish Story Card 4.

From here, we have opted to go to the cemetary on Page 21.

Chapter 01 - Page 21
Passing between a pair of stone angels, you enter an old family cemetery. There is a marble mausoleum in the center of the cemetery. A short set of stairs leads into its shadowy interior.
Next to where you stand, a freshly dug grave yawns in the pale sunlight. It's unsettling to think of climbing into it, but you see something shiny embedded in the dirt walls.

PLEASE VOTE:

Do we want to use any of our items to reduce the threat level before we have any more challenges?
In any case

If you enter the mausoleum, go to Story Card 5
---
If you climb into the open grave, go to Story Card 16.

Current Danger Meter: 04 points, Difficulty 04.

Current Items:
Cavalry Sabre: It's a sword. You can and should hit things with it, and it's psychically significant. +2 to Fighting Challenges.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 21, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I think keeping our challenge difficulty at 3 is probably a good idea, so let's Drink the water.
I also think that climbing into an open grave is a terrible idea, so let's go find some cryptic clues in the Mausoleum!

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
Boo challenge failure! Drink the water

Hopefully we can find something to use our sabre on in the Mausoleum

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 01 - Page 05
The mausoleum interior feels musty and cool. Something is dripping from the ceiling and landing in the corner with a PLINK, which is odd, given that it hasn't started raining yet. You also notice the mausoleum is bigger on the inside than the outside suggested. A stone sarcophagus lies before you in the center of the chamber with the word MARSDEN written on it.
It appears that others have been in the mausoleum recently: there's a freshly dug pit to the side of the sarcophagus, and an elaborate tunnel has been dug into the ground beside the nearby wall. You can see that the tunnel is lined with cement.

Optional Perception Challenge: Search around the sarcophagus
Win: Draw Clue 23
Lose: Raise danger meter by 1. You may try again.

Optional Strength Challenge: Remove the stone lid of the sarcophagus

Win: Draw Clue 16
Lose: Raise danger meter by two.
After Challenges, make story choice below.

PLEASE VOTE:

Do we want to attempt one or both of the optional challenges? If so, in any particular order? Do we want to redo the Strength challenge any number of times?

If you climb into the pit, go to Story Card 16.
---
If you travel through the tunnel, go to Story Card 28.

Current Danger Meter: 01 point, Difficulty 04.

Current Items:
Cavalry Sabre: It's a sword. You can and should hit things with it, and it's psychically significant. +2 to Fighting Challenges.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 24, 2019

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
Search around the sarcophagus, then lift the lid to see if something we can stab is inside

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Remove the lid, then search. Repeat the search if Danger is still 3. Then go in the tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Update will be slow for the next day or so due to errands, continue voting and I should still be able to get at least one in before then end of the day each day.
Post on next page.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 23, 2019