Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I don't know, I think they get War being dumb as a brick across pretty well.
And they avoided the temptation to make the incredibly obvious Abaddon/Destroyer thing a Big Twist, so props for that as well; the only ones acting surprised are the Watcher, which could be ironic, and Ulthane who doesn't really give a poo poo.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The Chozo Artifact quest at the end of Metroid Prime is the best version of the end-game collectathon and will never be topped IMO. It rewards you for taking the time to explore and take detours as you go through the game instead of just going point to point and then having to do a world tour before you can beat the game. It makes the quest feel much more natural and like you're actually working to unlock this final area, rather than "syke, here's some random bullshit we just threw up in your way when you thought you'd get to go to the ending now". It's why I've replayed Prime 1 multiple times but only ever beat Prime 2 once per difficulty setting.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I seem to remember Prime 1 pointing you at the Artifacts pretty early on, yeah. Definitely no later than the halfway point, probably more like 1/3 of the way through if memory serves. Point being there's plenty of game left by the time you're given the clues, so the savvy player will be keeping that info in the back of their minds as they progress, and have a weather eye out.

Fedule mentions The Wind Waker as a counter-point, which isn't a bad counter-point. Funny thing is, though, Wind Waker actually starts giving you clues really early--you run into Tingle like 90 minutes into the game, multiple map fish talk about the Triforce, and the King of Red Lions prompts you about it right after your failed confrontation with Ganondorf. It is totally possible to run across several Triforce charts, decipher them, and dredge up the shards as you progress through the normal course of the game. The problem is, the hints are subtle and they often didn't stick in the mind as a "hmm, I'd better keep my eyes open" thing until you actually needed to go looking for them to progress to the endgame. Wind Waker is vast and it expects you to do a lot of wandering around between primary objectives.

In contrast, it actually is entirely probable to just stumble across a lot of the Chozo Artifacts in Prime 1 on accident, before the game even sends you to the Artifact Temple to look around the first time. There's at least one in Magmoor Caverns that is concealed by nothing but a missile block in a room you're liable to be firing off missiles in, so this almost seems like it's by design, as if it's meant to make the player think "oh right, I picked one of these up before, so THAT'S what it is" when they are finally nudged in that direction.

Prime 2 and Darksiders both fail in that respect for dumping it all on you at the endgame, although as Fedule pointed out, at least in Darksiders it's relatively snappy and doesn't take a ridiculous amount of time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think in my first playthrough I went to the Crater Temple after getting the Space Jump Boots since that puts you right next to the ship. I think you only need Missiles to get in though.

And yeah it's much more fun finding them organically throughout the game, though you don't get all of the hints right away in Prime 1. I remember going back up to the Chozo Ruins boss room right after getting the Spider Ball because I think I had the clue for the artifact in that room...and then I had to do my first Chozo Ghost fight against three of them without the X-ray Visor :shepface:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 28: Exploiting a Loophole :siren:

We're almost home! But first we have to fight Uriel for what is absolutely, definitely the third time.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Competently mediocre is what Id call this game.
It sure is a game.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Can vouch for Tales of Vesperia, on the topic of late game world tours. Jiminy Christmas, I think I spent 10 hours bouncing around the world map to wrap up sideplots before I passed the point of no return. And that's in the original 360 version, which didn't have the additional bunch of sideplots the PS3 and PS4 versions have.

My experience with Graces was like "okay, here's the requisite bunch of pre-showdown sidequests to jaunt around the globe and put a bow on... but since you're playing the PS3 version, you've also got an actual 10 hour six-months-later epilogue which has its own various side content." Most of the actual plot content was basically character development for the main villain-turned-reluctant protagonist, which is certainly not unwelcome, but I did eventually get to a point where I was like "man, is this game ever actually going to end?"

I think in more action-oriented games like, say, the aforementioned Metroid Prime titles or to a lesser extent, Darksiders, as opposed to only padding out the playtime, it's often an excuse to have the player go back and be able to blast the bejeezus out of things that gave them a hard time in the early game, which I readily admit can be cathartic. Your mileage may vary.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 29: Unleash Your Inner Sephiroth :siren:

And that's it! I like the final boss a lot, even if it has an embarrassing amount of Ganon in it but eh, like Fedule said, there are worse bosses to rip off.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
How many videos is that now where the thumbnail is a close-up of Uriel looking angry? 4?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
At least admit that Mark Hamill gets some pretty badass lines in there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

War would never play executioner because of his honor unless he has to execute everyone is his way to regain it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kibayasu posted:

War would never play executioner because of his honor unless he has to execute everyone is his way to regain it.

That was some pretty dumb logic given that he kept sparing people the watcher demanded he kill.

I will say that in general, they did amazing with Mark Hamil given that his character was basically Navi.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thanks for the LP!

My thoughts, knowing nothing about the later games besides what was mentioned in the LP

"Derivative, but that doesn't mean it's bad" sounds about right. You can do a lot worse than to competently clone a good game.

I don't know what kind of war or against whom they're talking about at the end. Against Heaven? Against the Council? Against Hell? Against everyone?

I still don't understand who the Council are or what they want.

Thank God they didn't shoehorn in a last-second love story between War and Uriel like I was afraid they were going to. For the one female character in the entire game, Uriel was okay. She still got hit with a lot of unfortunate female-character-in-a-male-dominated-game beats, but she's fared better than many of her ilk.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
That's one hell of an ending, and it's tragic that they've never capitalized on it.

Still, on its own it stands as a competent and very thematically on-point game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cythereal posted:

Thanks for the LP!

My thoughts, knowing nothing about the later games besides what was mentioned in the LP

"Derivative, but that doesn't mean it's bad" sounds about right. You can do a lot worse than to competently clone a good game.

I don't know what kind of war or against whom they're talking about at the end. Against Heaven? Against the Council? Against Hell? Against everyone?

I still don't understand who the Council are or what they want.

Thank God they didn't shoehorn in a last-second love story between War and Uriel like I was afraid they were going to. For the one female character in the entire game, Uriel was okay. She still got hit with a lot of unfortunate female-character-in-a-male-dominated-game beats, but she's fared better than many of her ilk.

The council is this tribunal thing that oversees order between heaven, hell, and the humans. Basically their job seems to be ensuring that everyone has a fair, clean apocalypse. Since everyone is cheating and the referee is on the take war had enough of this poo poo, pulled a fast one on the council by killing mark hamil, and presumably now wishes to punch every hosed up idiot on every side responsible for this continued mess in the face until order is restored.

In short, yeah the game ends with war declaring war on the entire universe.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

War also basically got lucky that Mark "The Watcher" Hamill decided to block a sword with the most important item in the game.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I'm more surprised than anything that Darksiders 4 might actually occur. My only thought the first time I finished Darksiders was "I'll be surprised if the 2nd game even gets released, much less all four."

For what it's worth, I believe there was a major update to Darksiders 3 that allows you to set it in the in-game options so the combat is less Dark Souls and more Darksiders 2--someone may have already mentioned that in the thread. I forget. Either way, now I can maybe go back to Darksiders 2 (or start it over again, considering I haven't touched it in half a decade) and press onward.

Thanks for the LP, gentlemen.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darksiders 5 will be a throwback to old 4-member-party JRPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
https://lparchive.org/Darksiders-(by-Artix)/

See everyone in the next one. Probably another month or two out, for anyone keeping track, but in the meantime I've been streaming some DKC romhacks over at http://twitch.tv/Artix74 if you guys want to check that out. Til next time!