Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I mean, welcome to 2017. Antifa has been a favorite boogeyman of conservatives for years by this point. Their whole media bubble basically relies upon scaremongering to keep everything together, and since the protests are basically the big thing happening all over the country all at once at a time where there's not much news going on (other than covid, which Fox also desperately wants to downplay), the only way conservative media can deal with it is by wading past the blood and bodies in the street to find a few clips of property damage, so Antifa is an easy scapegoat to conjure up in order to ignore the thousands of examples of valid complaints so that the protests become just another threat for conservatives to panic about.

Cross that with the concurrent campaign to encourage conservatives to buy guns and be ready to use them against potential threats, and it's not hard to see how that could go badly. Anybody who wanted to secretly encourage that to erupt into violence (aside from, y'know, people like the president who are publicly calling for violence) wouldn't so much have to light a match as just lay down some tinder on the fire that's already lit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Yup. Welcome to the next satanic panic.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The satanic panic was not priming our crazies them to kill people. I mean it was a poo poo manipulation. But it wasn’t preparing crazies to murder.

I live in a place discussed in one of those articles. I saw them congregating at the gun store, while the communities children protested.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Speaking of the President...

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cross posting from the POL thread:

https://twitter.com/aetherlev/status/1274726592481091587?s=20

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 21, 2020

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

lol that's just a layperson somehow thinking that the GOP using racism + modern digital marketing techniques is in any way remarkable or unique to Trump and then wildly speculating how much trouble the kpop stans are causing them

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1282376113189195777

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/72020-2

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Twitter coming down hard on Qanon too.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Twitter coming down hard on Qanon too.

thank christ, about time

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The satanic panic was not priming our crazies them to kill people. I mean it was a poo poo manipulation. But it wasn’t preparing crazies to murder.
Today's satanic panic kind of is though. I was in the unusual position once of observing a bunch of disaffected youths trying to psych themselves up to randomly attack strangers and one of the things they were doing was referring to anyone and everyone going past as a pedo, to justify beating the crap out of strangers (eventually nothing happened because people were avoiding them so they started messing with people inside a venue and management called the police). Kinda reminds me of how pizzagate and qanon push a Leftist = Pedo satanist thing because it's perhaps the path of least resistance when it comes to dehumanization. It's fair to expect more violence.

Conspiracy theorizing the hell out of everything seems kind of like applying the ethos of Intelligent Design to society and its quirks; how much easier is it to say "Forces beyond our understanding did this!" than it is to tackle just how much today is a natural progression from yesterday, and how much power an individual or a group with a dream and a plan can really wield. Of course there are powerful, shadowy groups with ambitious agendas. But they're not the success story they get portrayed as by the paranoid.

Goddamn it pisses me off that Conspiracy Theorism has basically been weaponised. It's so twisted up these days that many of the people who spoke out warning us in 2001 that the Patriot Act was going to enable federal thugs to blackbag people, are now saying that federal thugs blackbagging people is somehow a good thing because Ben Garrison's Trump exists in their brain instead of reality. Possibly because they're racist shitbags but it makes no difference.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

People think in stories. There has to be a story presented to them in their language and symbols. A lot of the people getting sucked into these things don’t have a story that fits their lived experience. So somebody comes in with one. Once one is already in getting it out or changing it is challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Propagandists figured that they could just cast enough doubt in the more reliable sources of information to induce paranoid delusions so that people would do their own legwork rejecting contrary information. Last Week Tonight did a relevant segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b_eHBZLM6U

Although there are plenty of conspiracy theories without direct political motivations that end up harmful in their own way. People questioning things is important, but I sure hate how big the antivax movement is.