Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm making a recipe for a work thing and it calls for crème fraiche to be added.

I started making the crème fraiche yesterday afternoon (late), but I'm worried it will not turn out in time. I need to have it completed for tomorrow.

Is there an alternative that I can use?

Edit: I just checked the bottles I started... it is semi thick, ketchup like in consistency

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A terrific site for these kind of questions posted:

[url=http://www.foodsubs.com/Cultmilk.html]
créme fraîche (creme fraiche) Pronunciation: CREM FRESH
Notes: This slightly sour thick cream doesn't curdle when it's heated, so it's ideal for making cream sauces.
It's also used for appetizers and as a dessert topping.
To make your own: Warm one cup heavy cream to about 100°, then add one or two tablespoons of sour cream, cultured buttermilk, or plain yogurt (make sure you buy a brand that contains active cultures). Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for at least nine hours before refrigerating.

Substitutes: crema Mexicana OR equal parts sour cream and heavy cream OR clabber cream (thicker consistency) OR sour cream (This has a lower fat content, and so it's more likely to curdle if boiled with an acidic ingredient.) OR yogurt (This will definitely curdle when boiled.)

Other than that, I figure that you can thicken a little more the soup with a starch if the cream is too watery and add a bit of sour cream if you need more tartness.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It actually looks like it worked out!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Don't be like that, share some sweet pix.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mascarpone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

By popular demand posted:

Don't be like that, share some sweet pix.

Sorry, didn't take pics :smith:

The soup was a huge hit, though!