Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m not sure the players knew wtf he was going for either, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The lack of true behind-the-scenes access is really shown by the lack of insight into AB/Raiders drama from any of the episodes. There's no way the helmet situation was handled as smoothly as they made it out to be, and I have to believe other things transpired to create tension prior to this week's meltdown.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I would much rather had goofy little stories about the rookies doing things on their day off than half of every episode consisting of AB talking about himself.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
There was a big think piece that came out that basically said "If HBO doesn't do a hard dive into this AB stuff then it's proof that Hard Knocks is just propaganda" and a deep dive is exactly what they did. Of course we all got burned out because it was 24/7 AB for three weeks but that's not really on Hard Knocks

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Blitz7x posted:

There was a big think piece that came out that basically said "If HBO doesn't do a hard dive into this AB stuff then it's proof that Hard Knocks is just propaganda" and a deep dive is exactly what they did. Of course we all got burned out because it was 24/7 AB for three weeks but that's not really on Hard Knocks

Are you talking about this article on the Ringer?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/9/5/20851847/antonio-brown-hard-knocks-mike-mayock

quote:

The resulting series was bland, and sometimes outright boring. There was a lot of time devoted to plucky players who were clearly going to get cut (fare-thee-well, Keelan Doss and Jason Cabinda); a little time for head coach Jon Gruden, currently in the second year of a 10-year, $100 million contract, being Jon Gruden; next to no time for the Raiders’ actually pressing questions, including: “What does it mean that the team is about to uproot itself and move to Las Vegas?,” “What do they do now that Gruden has figured out that quarterback Derek Carr probably isn’t his guy?,” “Given last year’s dismal results, is Gruden the right guy?,” and, most urgently, “What in the world is going on with Antonio Brown?”

From week to week, the show failed to explain what was going on with his feet, why he was apparently more willing to quit football than abandon his old helmet, and how Raiders leadership was reacting to their star acquisition going MIA. These weren’t minor questions—these were the questions, for the Raiders and, to some degree, for the NFL as a whole. And, whether through ignorance, bad timing, censorship by the Raiders, or something else, Hard Knocks whiffed at every opportunity. One of the best players in football, who has just made one of the most potentially meaningful changes of teams in the sport, might not play this season, and perhaps not ever for his new squad. And despite an NFL documentary that promised us a month and a half of unlimited access, we’re none the wiser for it.

Hard Knocks might be mandatory for the teams it comes to visit. For the rest of us—I think it’s fair to say that from here on out, we might as well skip it

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Nah, although that take is weird and dumb. The Raiders absolutely did not want Hard Knocks and it showed but that isn't necessarily HBOs fault. Or perhaps, sports media was blowing the feet and helmet issue way out of proportion?

This is the article I was referring to

https://sports.yahoo.com/from-retir...-154931985.html

This take came out after episode 1,which had never little of ABs feet/helmet issues:

quote:

Take Episode 1, which as it turns out, seems even more disappointing in the rear-view mirror than it did a day ago. It largely landed with a thud after dancing around the problem with – to coin HBO’s term – Brown’s “bad” feet. Instead, the ultimate inside access of “Hard Knocks” basically delivered a hot air balloon ride, some rookies riding horses, a little bit of Derek Carr and the subtly interesting moment of head coach Jon Gruden establishing a no-fly zone when it comes to rookie hazing. And even that line by Gruden about hazing was largely glossed over in the episode, given that it could have provided an interesting entry point into the darker parts of offensive lineman Richie Incognito’s history.
Basically, HBO delivered a bunch of empty calories and then almost nothing on the parts of the Brown situation that actually made it dramatic. Specifically, the reality that he had frozen the bottoms of his feet in cryotherapy chamber. 

So hard Knocks episode two was almost completely about AB, which people hated? Again, sports media blowing non issues out of proportion

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 6, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
what are you even trying to say Blitz

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Play posted:

what are you even trying to say Blitz

- HBOs hand was forced to show a lot of AB drama even though people were sick of it

- it's not HBOs fault that Hard Knocks was boring. It's an absolute PR win for the Raiders to look boring and competent

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Yeah that’s exactly what people are saying. Hards knock is pitched as unparalleled inside access but it’s structured to give teams easy prs win and make it easy for them to show only what they want if they’re at all competent. It’s run by nfls film about nfls team. That makes it pointless. Rip

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Phobeste posted:

Yeah that’s exactly what people are saying. Hards knock is pitched as unparalleled inside access but it’s structured to give teams easy prs win and make it easy for them to show only what they want if they’re at all competent. It’s run by nfls film about nfls team. That makes it pointless. Rip

Which makes the Hue Jackson footage all the more hilarious.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I think the only time Hard Knocks really works is when the organization is so incompetent that it is oblivious to the fact that its supposed to be PR, or when the organization realizes that it is PR but yet is so inept that their attempts at it completely fail.

The problem with choosing the Raiders is that Gruden and Mayock have media experience so they arent incompetent enough to make, Hard Knocks truly great/entertaining like it was with the Jets and Browns.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Also see: Bengals season 1 (clueless) vs Bengals season 2 (hurrr, we learned PR after loving up last time)

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
They should film hard knocks and air and edit it like, 5 years after the fact. Enough time that everyone is gone and fired so we can enjoy the drama tears.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Yeah, it feels like Undercover Boss now.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Jameis Winston rehabilitation tour was when I realized hard knocks was over.

It's still a bit entertaining, just, that lens is heavily skewed now.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Does youth football require players to purchase their own equipment? I'm having trouble figuring out what benefit it would be for a helmet manufacturer to spend a lot of money to have AB endorse them. Even if every single person in the country knows he uses a Xenith Shadow, what difference would it make? I imagine most high schools and universities (unless you have a program like Oregon with more money than they know what to do with) are trying to just buy the cheapest solution they can get away with. And it's not like normal people are going around buying helmets. The only way I can guess is that kids in youth football might insist on wearing one their favorite players wear? Or is it some sort of generic thing like any publicity is good publicity? I don't they'd spend money to convince a handful of NFL pros to wear the same model as AB.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CubanMissile posted:

Does youth football require players to purchase their own equipment?

Waaaay back when I played youth football there were rental things everyone got their gear from, but I didn't play on a fancy traveling team or anything which I assume exist?

I would think that most NCAA level teams have contracts with certain suppliers, I guess the marketing advantage would be convincing those schools/high schools in Texas or wherever there's money behind them to consider their helmet. Depending on the contract he signed if he did sign one getting AB to like come out and meet people in the off season or record a video for them might be part of things.

I'm just spitballing here, I have no idea how the helmet industry works.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

I can't speak for the rest of the world or other age groups, but I just had to buy a full set of pads and a helmet for an 8 year old. I just took a look at the helmet and saw that it happens to be a Schutt, coincidentally.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Symphoric posted:

I can't speak for the rest of the world or other age groups, but I just had to buy a full set of pads and a helmet for an 8 year old. I just took a look at the helmet and saw that it happens to be a Schutt, coincidentally.

Yeah it's entirely possible things have changed and that would be a good thing. I was using stuff that was 20 years old when I was a kid. I should have said that I'd assume things have changed since then, because that was some crap stuff even before anyone cared about concussions.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Symphoric posted:

Man that's gotta be a rough expense to swallow considering the kid could grow out of those things in months.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Well the helmet has this inflatable padding that can be pumped up with air so the kid can grow a bit without needing a new one, but yeah, youth sports are ridiculously expensive nowadays. I'm pretty sure most hockey teams still have to supply goalie pads for kids, cuz that poo poo will bankrupt families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Symphoric posted:

Well the helmet has this inflatable padding that can be pumped up with air so the kid can grow a bit without needing a new one, but yeah, youth sports are ridiculously expensive nowadays. I'm pretty sure most hockey teams still have to supply goalie pads for kids, cuz that poo poo will bankrupt families.

Seems like soccer and basketball would have a low cost of entry, but I'm sure they hit you with all sorts of other fees nonetheless.

Marketing poo poo like the helmet deal is always fascinating to me. I assume most of it is just a grift backed by completely made up numbers, but often I wonder if there are legit ways to estimate the ROI on stuff like dropping 250 million to name the Dolphins stadium Hard Rock.