Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
We're going old school. Hard Knocks on HBO. The Raidas. We got Antonio Brown, man. AB. Love this guy. He flies to camp on a drat hot air balloon, and get this, he's got one of those catch phrases you see these days. He's a little banged up. A "non-football injury." Still shows up in a balloon. A wounded guy making an entrance like that, you'd think they were comin back from Iraq. Gettin a freakin purple heart, man.

https://twitter.com/Raiders/status/1154803807026475008

You know who else we got? Jon freakin Gruden, man. I'll tell ya, he's had it with dreams. He wants to be your nightmare. It's a new day for Hard Knocks. We ain't about your A&W Root Beer Bowls here. Or your "Tough Actin' Tinactin Bowls," alright? But I do love me some John Madden. Remember those commercials back when we played the game like men? Tough actin' Tinactin? BOOM! You know he used to coach here, man? But I digress. We're talkin Super Bowls here.

https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/1154813786655731712

We got Mike "Mock Draft" Mayock. That guy from Last Chance U. That running back who's probably gonna have a movie made about him and held out until like last week on the new rookie pay scale somehow. Napa Valley. Derek Carr. Richie Incognito. Silver and Black. That guy who is gonna give Jon Gruden 10 million a year for the next 9 years and drives a minivan. Khalil Mack Clelin Ferrell. Hey, you payin attention Ferrell? This is important. Anyways, it's the last season in Oakland. And we got lawsuit drama around this dump of a stadium. There's a bunch more drama on the way, so you better fasten your seatbelts, man. Cause we got a commitment to excellent television. Just win, baby. :black101:

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I know for a fact that Jon Gruden loves the idea of being on Hard Knocks, and I also know for a fact that he's going to come off as a complete and total buffoon. It's going to be like Hue Jackson, but with an even bigger ego.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
When does this air?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

August 6th.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
This is going to be a bigger trainwreck than the last season of GoT.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
A lot of people are gonna like Derek Carr as a person but probably not a QB

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blitz7x posted:

I love him as the Raiders QB

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Blitz7x posted:

I expect quite the opposite, actually

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Float like a butterfly, stings when I pee.

I was all excited when I saw that Hard Knocks was on Game Pass but it turns out it's only old episodes. :(

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

GD_American posted:

I expect quite the opposite, actually
He is very likable. But between defending him and Steph Curry I’m too tired.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

a neat cape posted:

I love him as the Raiders QB

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Must-watch status.

https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/1156275083716915200?s=20

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

LOL, Gruden's going to be worse than Hue, Jeff Fisher, and Joe Philbin combined.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Gruden is gonna trade the Hard Knocks crew to Jacksonville for Disney World season passes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
late but lol the last chance u guy is definitely going to be an early main character

https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/1156341513908965376

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Paperback Writer posted:

He is very likable. But between defending him and Steph Curry I’m too tired.

Why in the world does Steph need defending

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Why in the world does Steph need defending
Not actually serious but you must not read the nba threads. Gotta rep for my Oakland Christian boys.

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 7, 2019

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

late but lol the last chance u guy is definitely going to be an early main character

https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/1156341513908965376

They definitely set him up to be and then...

snip.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
also the whole horseback scene seemed like a lot of effort to get to use Old Town Road as background music.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Very excited to see

https://twitter.com/robertmays/status/1159170132448440320

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

guy fieri, that's my guy

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

first episode is free on the raiders youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o7vV7miEGs

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

hifi posted:

first episode is free on the raiders youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o7vV7miEGs

dope thanks man, gonna watch this at lunch which im taking rn

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

That was pretty boring honestly. They usually get better once the preseason games start.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I actually liked the little interludes at the end the best. The funny prayer, the horse balls, and the preview segment with the Rams coming to town. So far it's about as good as the Browns one but I'm expecting it to heat up a little bit soon

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER
I love you all. This is the only worthwhile football discussion forum on the entire internet.

As far as I can tell.

Anyway. I want to talk about how Antonio Brown is a beautiful person, despite what the Ben lovers will tell you.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER
This is probably going to be more Gruden than I was realty ready for.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER
But I want to deal with all of this with you, my brothers.

It's going to be glorious.

I will contemplate the patriots as a mathematical ideal while I watch this season of hard knocks.

But just imagine.....

Crazy things happen...

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Blitz7x posted:

This is very true. He just seems like a good dude, but I expected him to be more Jesus-ey for some reason.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Enjoyed the first episode, was good setup. We all want these to be jam fuckin packed with drama because we only get like 4 or 5 of them. But this was a good intro to some of the big personalities on the team. Gruden opened with that "I'm not into dreams. I'm into NIGHTMARES :black101:" speech which was something. And there was a bunch more Gruden.txt throughout, like the huge-rear end O-line sled (with year 2000 Madden no less) or his constant bitching about how players these days are coddled pissbabies who should be doing three-a-days. This poo poo is what we are all here for, and we got a taste.

I don't watch Last Chance U (gonna have to fix that) so I didn't get as much out of the short life and death of Ollie as some of you may have. It did make me wonder if the dude who has to lug everyone's gear around knows or cares that he's literally throwing someone's life dreams in the trash or not as he carries their duffel bag out to the curb. Then replaces it with new gear in a different size featuring the same number. Gotta be done, but poo poo's cold.

I could have done with 10 minutes less of horse buddy comedy and more Gruden / Mayock buddy comedy but whatever.

They glossed over the fact that Incognito is a psycho who is going to commit a mass shooting within the next 3 years.

Finally, there better be an in depth segment on AB's goddam feet next week because there's no way anything funnier or more interesting is going on in Raiders camp.

Ok thanks gonna hang up and listen.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Larch posted:

I love you all. This is the only worthwhile football discussion forum on the entire internet.

As far as I can tell.

Anyway. I want to talk about how Antonio Brown is a beautiful person, despite what the Ben lovers will tell you.

Someone come get your mans, he's drunk

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
John Madden was the best part of the episode

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

bows1 posted:

I hope each episode has a Madden Interlude

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Assorted thoughts:

- That Last Chance U guy seemed completely out of shape compared to the rest of the team. Like there's fat dudes in the NFL but they at least have muscle with the fat. That guy was all fat.
- Jon Gruden seems like the kind of guy who you'd want to be your uncle, but definitely not your dad, let alone head coach of a football team.
- Abram is gonna kill a guy on the field.

Will the Raiders still practice in Napa Valley when they move to Vegas?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Will the Raiders still practice in Napa Valley when they move to Vegas?
They’re considering it last I saw. It’s nice, players over the years all seem to like it a lot, hotel is right there, etc. The only drawback I saw was some tax implication for the players, I think pointed out by Amy Trask on Twitter when the Napa camp topic came up.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Larch posted:

As far as I can tell.

i love you too. really

bows1 posted:

Forgot to include that in my "review". That was definitely among the best segments, including the way they tied it to this year's training camp. That guy just has something innately special about him. He's a joy to listen to

japtor posted:

They’re considering it last I saw. It’s nice, players over the years all seem to like it a lot, hotel is right there, etc. The only drawback I saw was some tax implication for the players, I think pointed out by Amy Trask on Twitter when the Napa camp topic came up.

Yeah the players are gonna be stoked as hell for that no state income tax once they get to Nevada. I'm guessing there's a way around paying the CA taxes if you're only doing training camp there, just structure the contracts in a certain way. That wouldn't apply to everyone though, mainly the high earners

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Play posted:

Yeah the players are gonna be stoked as hell for that no state income tax once they get to Nevada. I'm guessing there's a way around paying the CA taxes if you're only doing training camp there, just structure the contracts in a certain way. That wouldn't apply to everyone though, mainly the high earners
https://twitter.com/AmyTrask/status/1155846285594730498
https://twitter.com/jayfeely/status/1155858439647707137

Also applies to the Cowboys cause they hold camp in Oxnard. And looking into it some more, apparently everyone in sports to an extent cause they get taxed based on game location:

https://dqydj.com/athlete-duty-day-taxation/

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

seiferguy posted:

- Abram is gonna kill a guy on the field.

Not gonna lie, Abram was my favorite part of the episode. I loved him loving with Gruden.

japtor posted:

And looking into it some more, apparently everyone in sports to an extent cause they get taxed based on game location:

I kind of always assumed this, because government is always gonna try to get their cut. Nice link going into the details of it. Always wanted to learn more about it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

japtor posted:

https://twitter.com/AmyTrask/status/1155846285594730498
https://twitter.com/jayfeely/status/1155858439647707137

Also applies to the Cowboys cause they hold camp in Oxnard. And looking into it some more, apparently everyone in sports to an extent cause they get taxed based on game location:

https://dqydj.com/athlete-duty-day-taxation/

I see, guess they can magic their way around cap rules but the IRS is something else. They probably don't care so much about their players paying taxes, but the team would have to pay more taxes as well. Interesting to see which way they go with that, wouldn't be surprised if they keep going to Napa in the short term but look around for a better tax haven training camp location for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Not really the IRS since this is state taxes, but I would assume that California has robust tax enforcement given the number of high-paid athletes, musicians, actors, etc. who work there for brief periods of time.