Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Finger Prince posted:

I believe it was Werner Herzog who once said: "The people in Dubai don't like the Flintstones, but the people in Abu Dhabi do"

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird.

I believe this race is a tie between bonaventure and cda, but cda technically won the race to 3 posts.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

The room is lit only with the cool, thin north light emanating from behind the man at the desk. Werner Herzog sits opposite. He would find it difficult to see the back-lit man if he ever looked at the man, but he didn't. Werner's inner inner eye was so intent, so sharply focused that he was only dimly aware of the room around him and the man behind the desk.
"So, Werner," began the man, "tell me about this new project you're working on."
A slight look of consternation played with alighting on Werner's face, but found no purchase. "It is about the abyss."
The man behind the desk nodded.
"The abyss that lies between what we know and the absolute truth of things. The abyss that we strive to cross every day, but can never cross. We can only glimpse the other side imperfectly, and yet we strive and strive until our inevitable annihilation. And what do we learn by peering across the impassable void? That all things end? That all will be lost? And all the while our lives that our so precious to us fly from birth to death so quickly, each of us a minute flicker. As a fly that is born, mates and dies within a day, yet compared to the vastness of the careless universe ours are so much shorter. Within a few generations we all will be almost completely forgotten. we will be lucky if a few misunderstood facts about our lives will survive and also, in time these will be swallowed up by the ever waiting nothingness. And then, inevitably, so must humanity itself disappear, and the earth and the sun. And as the universe in it's cruel glory grows colder and more distant even the longest lives stars also grow cold and die, until eventually the very nature of matter lies down to sleep forever. There is no possible future in which anything anybody says or does will change even the minutest part of this hellish place. It has been argued that at it's core, the only fundamental right is the right of the strong to oppress the weak, but both weak and strong alike are guaranteed, nay, programmed to vanish forever, and all so quickly it's as if they never even existed at all. And yet, if our lives are so brief as to never have any meaning, why do we strive for knowledge? The more we learn, the more we are convinced that all is hopeless. Careless destruction is the fundamental guiding principle to everything and once this is learned it will nag the contemplative mind like the gadfly. Perhaps during these short and meaningless lives we would be better to question nothing and live in blissful ignorance. Is it so bad that one would live their lives and die knowing that all will be well and the horrible misfortunes of this place exist for a reason that guides us to an eventual salvation? As the contemplative and the thoughtless life are both meaningless, one might argue that it is better to live without knowledge. But once the hopeless nature of all things is realized, Pandora's box is opened and it will haunt us forever. I suppose, in answer to your question, that this is about the hopeless unstoppable destruction of the uncaring universe and our only defense from it is ignorance."
"The man swallowed and adjusted his glasses. "And the name of this project?" he asked.
Werner looked up for the first time and fixed his steady gaze upon the man's face.
"The Aristocrats."

Heather Papps

hello friend

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

The room is lit only with the cool, thin north light emanating from behind the man at the desk. Werner Herzog sits opposite. He would find it difficult to see the back-lit man if he ever looked at the man, but he didn't. Werner's inner inner eye was so intent, so sharply focused that he was only dimly aware of the room around him and the man behind the desk.
"So, Werner," began the man, "tell me about this new project you're working on."
A slight look of consternation played with alighting on Werner's face, but found no purchase. "It is about the abyss."
The man behind the desk nodded.
"The abyss that lies between what we know and the absolute truth of things. The abyss that we strive to cross every day, but can never cross. We can only glimpse the other side imperfectly, and yet we strive and strive until our inevitable annihilation. And what do we learn by peering across the impassable void? That all things end? That all will be lost? And all the while our lives that our so precious to us fly from birth to death so quickly, each of us a minute flicker. As a fly that is born, mates and dies within a day, yet compared to the vastness of the careless universe ours are so much shorter. Within a few generations we all will be almost completely forgotten. we will be lucky if a few misunderstood facts about our lives will survive and also, in time these will be swallowed up by the ever waiting nothingness. And then, inevitably, so must humanity itself disappear, and the earth and the sun. And as the universe in it's cruel glory grows colder and more distant even the longest lives stars also grow cold and die, until eventually the very nature of matter lies down to sleep forever. There is no possible future in which anything anybody says or does will change even the minutest part of this hellish place. It has been argued that at it's core, the only fundamental right is the right of the strong to oppress the weak, but both weak and strong alike are guaranteed, nay, programmed to vanish forever, and all so quickly it's as if they never even existed at all. And yet, if our lives are so brief as to never have any meaning, why do we strive for knowledge? The more we learn, the more we are convinced that all is hopeless. Careless destruction is the fundamental guiding principle to everything and once this is learned it will nag the contemplative mind like the gadfly. Perhaps during these short and meaningless lives we would be better to question nothing and live in blissful ignorance. Is it so bad that one would live their lives and die knowing that all will be well and the horrible misfortunes of this place exist for a reason that guides us to an eventual salvation? As the contemplative and the thoughtless life are both meaningless, one might argue that it is better to live without knowledge. But once the hopeless nature of all things is realized, Pandora's box is opened and it will haunt us forever. I suppose, in answer to your question, that this is about the hopeless unstoppable destruction of the uncaring universe and our only defense from it is ignorance."
"The man swallowed and adjusted his glasses. "And the name of this project?" he asked.
Werner looked up for the first time and fixed his steady gaze upon the man's face.
"The Aristocrats."

i recant my previous emptyquote

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!