Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hodgepodge posted:

maybe Post-Colonial Anarcha-Monarchist is more your speed :smuggo:

Idi Amin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I only seek Juffo-Wup. I grow turgid. Violence ensues.

We look to Juffo-Wup for direction, and it provides the pattern -- endless expansion with purity of achievement and intolerance of error.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Found an article about the book that inspired this hot take

Karl Marx vs. Henry George

quote:

In Neo-classical Economics as a Stratagem Against Henry George (2007), University of California economist Mason Gaffney argues that George and his Land Value Tax pose a far greater threat than Marx to America’s corporate elite. America’s enormous concentration of wealth has always depended on the inherent right of the wealthy elite to seize and monopolize vast quantities of land and natural resources (oil, gas, forests, water, minerals, etc) for personal profit. Adopting an LVT, which is far easier than launching a violent revolution, would essentially negate that right. What’s more, every jurisdiction that has ever implemented an LVT finds it works exactly the way George predicted it would. Productivity, prosperity, and social wellbeing flourish, while inflation, wealth inequality, and boom and bust recessions and depressions virtually vanish.

quote:

In Neo-classical Economics, Gaffney reveals that this backlash took two main forms. The first was the Red Scare (1919-1989), overseen by J Edgar Hoover as Assistant Attorney General and later as FBI director. The second was more insidious and involved the deliberate reframing of the classical economic theory developed by Adam Smith, Locke, Hume, and Ricardo as so-called neoclassical economics. The latter totally negates Adam Smith’s basic differentiation between “land”, a limited, non-producible resource. and “capital”, a reproducible result of past human production. Smith, Locke, Hume, and Ricardo all held that individuals have no right to seize and monopolize scarce natural resources, such as land, minerals, water, and forests. They believed that because these resources are both limited and essential for human survival, they should belong to the public.

Neoclassical economics, which first developed in the 1890s, was based on the premise that growth and development can only occur if a handful of rent-seekers are allowed to monopolize scarce land and natural resources for their personal profit. Henry George, who publicly debated the early pioneers of neoclassical economics, claimed the science of economics was being deliberately distorted to discredit him. Gaffney agrees. Because George’s proposal to replace income and sales tax with single land value taxed is based on logical concepts of land, capital, labor, and rent advanced by Adam Smith, Locke, Hume, and Ricardo, they all had to be discredited.

Gaffney believes neoclassical economic theory undermines George’s arguments for a single Land Value Tax in two basic ways: 1) by claiming that land is no different from other capital (ironically Marx made the identical argument) and 2) by portraying the science of economics as a series of hard choices and sacrifices that low and middle income people must make. Some examples:

• If we want efficiency, we must sacrifice equity.
  • To attract business, we must lower taxes and shut libraries and defund schools.
  • To prevent inflation, we must keep a large number of Americans unemployed.
  • To create jobs, we must destroy the environment and pollute the air, water, and food chain.
  • To raise productivity, we must fire people.

Gaffney’s book traces the phenomenal public support Georgism enjoyed before the tenets of neoclassical economics took hold in American universities. In addition to inspiring the Populist and Progressive movements, an LVT to fund irrigation projects in California’s Central Valley made California the top producing farm state. In 1916 the first federal income tax law was introduced by Georgist members of Congress (Henry George Jr and Warren Bailey) and included virtually no tax on wages. In 1934 Georgist Upton Sinclair was almost elected governor of California.

Gaffney also identifies the robber barons whose fortunes financed the economics departments of the major universities who went on to substitute neooclassical economics for classical economic theory. At the top of this list were

• Ezra Cornell (owner of both Western Union and Associated Press) – founder of Cornell University
  • John D Rockefeller – helped fund the University of Chicago and installed his cronies in its economics department.
  • J. P Morgan – investment banker and early funder of Columbia University
  • B&O Railroad – John Hopkins University
  • Southern Pacific Railroad – Stanford University

The final section of Gaffney’s book lays out the tragic economic, political, and social consequences of allowing the Red Scare and neoclassical economics to stifle America’s movement for a single Land Value Tax:

Georgism has enjoyed somewhat of a minor meme resurgence online recently, but funny how there was a book that preceded that which claims it was suppressed by a conspiracy from Big Landlord.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/rayrduffy/status/1440443358585913345

https://www.ignatius.com/The-Lost-Mandate-of-Heaven-P1532.aspx

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Hi, I'm a monarchist AMA.
In my defence I live in New Zealand and I'm convinced the adoption of a republican constitution will inevitably turn out worse than how things are now. And the monarchy costs us like $3-10 million a year. It's not like I think it's the ideal form of government.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
how would a new zealand republic be worse

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is this where we talk about congressional memes?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

John Charity Spring posted:

how would a new zealand republic be worse

Probably have a president. Even if not I'm sure it would be screwed up somehow, probably on purpose, to the benefit of fuckwit politicians. It almost certainly wouldn't be better. We spent $26 million on a referendum for a new flag 5 years ago where the popular voice was completely ignored. I'm sure the process for changing something that matters would cost way more and be even more shaped by those in power.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Weka posted:

Hi, I'm a monarchist AMA.
In my defence I live in New Zealand and I'm convinced the adoption of a republican constitution will inevitably turn out worse than how things are now. And the monarchy costs us like $3-10 million a year. It's not like I think it's the ideal form of government.

you should keep the monarchy but have a rotating one like malaysia's system with the maori cheifs

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
nz should just be australia tbh i dont know why you bother

Weka
May 5, 2019

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

you should keep the monarchy but have a rotating one like malaysia's system with the maori cheifs

It could work. One of the problems with abolishing the monarchy is that the founding document of the country, the treaty of waitangi, is between the crown and various tribes.
The fact this would actually make a difference to anything is the reason we shouldn't be part of Australia.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

This is just the assholes in Eastern Washington, gently caress you you stupid meme generator

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I have learned from the r/relationships thread that white hoteps are a thing

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i feel like evangelicals are the white equivalent of hoteps

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

This is just the assholes in Eastern Washington, gently caress you you stupid meme generator

Are they actually Strasserists? I would just think they're right-wing agrarians.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Weka posted:

It could work. One of the problems with abolishing the monarchy is that the founding document of the country, the treaty of waitangi, is between the crown and various tribes.
The fact this would actually make a difference to anything is the reason we shouldn't be part of Australia.
Literally just steal the British crown, the actual physical object, and have that be your head of state.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Literally just steal the British crown, the actual physical object, and have that be your head of state.

In some ways iirc this is literally how it works, like with the Holy See. (Vatican City, by the by, is iirc one of the only absolute monarchies left in the world, and the only elected absolute monarchy, since the Pope is also by position the King of Vatican City)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

we're bringing back Personalism

Weka
May 5, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Which one, they have seven.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In some ways iirc this is literally how it works, like with the Holy See. (Vatican City, by the by, is iirc one of the only absolute monarchies left in the world, and the only elected absolute monarchy, since the Pope is also by position the King of Vatican City)

There's a bunch in Arabia, plus Brunei and Swaziland.
Are you saying the popehat is where the power is vested?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weka posted:

There's a bunch in Arabia, plus Brunei and Swaziland.
Are you saying the popehat is where the power is vested?

Nah, the throne. Which I'm not uncertain is unrelated to how royal authority is often called 'the throne'. (and not even getting into the 40k jokes)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Weka posted:

The heavy one. The other ones have been designed for the brittle constitutions of the British monarchs, and are not actually invested with any sovereignty.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have learned from the r/relationships thread that white hoteps are a thing

I desperately need an explanation on this.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
free taintrunner

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I desperately need an explanation on this.

I have no idea but supposedly there's a cult

I presume something along the lines of 'I am a monster created by an ancient mad scientist, and that is awesome'

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Weka posted:

Are each of them hidden in dungeons spread across Hyrule?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://steemit.com/politics/@ekklesiagora/third-ways-distributism-georgism-and-social-democracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

Georgist land value tax getting some network news play

https://twitter.com/FairweatherPhD/status/1562469670904422400

wait lol so what's the angle with this

ah so there's a pro-developer angle opposing pro-land speculator interests (land hoarders)

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1565812254116913152