Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Lmao it blocks Ted Kaczynski

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

wrong thread lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1562712779437801472

running out of bread and they're getting real stingy with the circuses

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Georgist land value tax getting some network news play

https://twitter.com/FairweatherPhD/status/1562469670904422400

wait lol so what's the angle with this

ah so there's a pro-developer angle opposing pro-land speculator interests (land hoarders)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

never understood who the market for these were. guess theyre expensive enough it doesn't matter

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

bought them using my company’s WFH stipend - lol haven’t touched them since

they’re incredibly heavy

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
holy hell they're 50% heavier than xm4's. i guess they're supposed to max out comfort stat so you can wear them 8 hours a day but that's some serious psycho behavior.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

mawarannahr posted:

COVID thread goers will be the only people left who can throw brick.:ohdear:

playtime is over

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

So, uh with British inflation projected to get near 20% and Europe gas prices getting so high in the winter that is literally unprofitable for businesses to run and saddling the average person with thousands of dollars of energy bills, how is this not end in widespread society shattering events in the EU? Is there anyway there is not going to be a giant global economic catastrophe in the next few months? It seems like every investor is hyperfocused on such minute things the fed says or the quarterly earnings or whatever when you just look over the horizon a bit and see Europe crumbling to dust and the economic implications of that.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there's going to be a major recession in the EU+ area. whether this will spread to the US depends on the degree of exposure that the US has to the kind of debt that's going to be defaulted upon, how integrated europe is in american supply chains and whether the federal reserve keeps providing infinite money to financial institutions.

my guess is that they federal reserve will keep providing infinite money to financial institutions but that there will be some contagion anyway which might trigger a moderate recession, but this is a pure guess from my part

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

Vox Nihili posted:

SCOTUS will give all taxpayers standing to sue the government for spending money or whatever insane thing that they come up with lol

In a landmark holding, Crank v. State of Michigan, SCOTUS holds that individual taxpayers have standing to sue for personal grievances with the government.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
yeah i don't give a poo poo about the individual numbers anymore

the whole thing is so obviously in total and final collapse

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lol this is what happens when you pretend commodities are infinite

someday the well really does run dry

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The thumbnail for this looks distinctly like the silhouette of a Grey alien.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Is there an accountant who would give a goon advice on student loans? Or an AT thread?

Or do we not know all the specifics yet. I’m :f5: the d&d thread

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It’s like a deja vu of the Afghanistan withdrawal because here Biden did a surprisingly good thing and yet the media, democrats, liberals writ large are freaking out about it.

What the gently caress?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s like a deja vu of the Afghanistan withdrawal because here Biden did a surprisingly good thing and yet the media, democrats, liberals writ large are freaking out about it.

What the gently caress?

No relief! Only immiseration!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

What the gently caress?

Like Afghanistan, the situation must be so incredibly more hosed than we could ever imagine for them to have done anything.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
i have about 15k in loans before interest, 5k of which were pell grants

is joe just wiping out all my debt

holy poo poo wtf

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

what the gently caress

surely there's a catch?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Minera posted:

what the gently caress

surely there's a catch?

Catch is you’re a lifelong dem voter now.

Lol

Lmao

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

hail dark brandon

peace be upon lady kamala

:pray:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

So, uh with British inflation projected to get near 20% and Europe gas prices getting so high in the winter that is literally unprofitable for businesses to run and saddling the average person with thousands of dollars of energy bills, how is this not end in widespread society shattering events in the EU? Is there anyway there is not going to be a giant global economic catastrophe in the next few months? It seems like every investor is hyperfocused on such minute things the fed says or the quarterly earnings or whatever when you just look over the horizon a bit and see Europe crumbling to dust and the economic implications of that.

winter isn't riot season

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Minera posted:

what the gently caress

surely there's a catch?

the catch comes this winter. your gonna love it

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Paradoxish posted:

I paid off all my loans a long time ago and I'm insanely pissed at Biden for not cancelling all debt no questions asked

:same:

the white hand posted:

I even did it with mummy and daddy's cash, yet

:same: Used the money mommy and daddy gave me for physical therapy because I'd broken my ankle in three places like the dumbass I was to cut my debt by 2/3s.

I'm happy this happened, happy for everyone else, enjoying the liberal/GQP tears while also furious this doesn't go further.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The new loan modification rules they announced today with the payment cap of 5% of discretionary income above ~$33k is automatically forgiven after 10 years if the loan is less than $12k.

The new loan type and capitalization rules are stealthily a much bigger change than the one-time forgiveness in the long run.

This will cut the average payment in half, guarantee a $0 monthly payment for individuals with incomes below $33k or families of 4 below $62,500 in household income, and make the average payment for a borrower making $50,000 per year ~$40.

The loan balance is also forgiven after 20 years or 10 years if your balance gets below (or starts below) $12k.

https://twitter.com/justinsink/status/1562470265665495040

it seems like Biden was scared of a big headline forgiveness number but people were able to convince him on complicated rules changes that accomplish a lot

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

it seems like Biden was scared of a big headline forgiveness number but people were able to convince him on complicated rules changes that accomplish a lot

it's also on brand for democrats, never solve a problem permanently

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

It's honestly a pretty great marketing job by whoever came up with it. Say 10k over and over, people focus and anchor on that. Imagine how much worse the incessant screeching would've been if The Number was $20,000 instead of 10.

But like, I don't know, 75% of people getting forgiveness under this plan qualify for the 20k? Like 90% of the screechers had so much family money they never even knew about Pell grants so they have no clue how many people are actually getting 20k. So everyone's seething and flinging poo while millions of people are having their debt entirely wiped clean.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rutibex posted:

winter isn't riot season

Winter is mild.

Winter is over.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

just need to lie about how many men im loving and get the monkeypox vax and im invincible

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lmfao it easily costs 5k per person for office space where i work they should be paying me to work from home

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Homeless Friend posted:

never understood who the market for these were. guess theyre expensive enough it doesn't matter

ngl i've been tempted but then i think about how that's a month of groceries

the real head scratcher is these though:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

FizFashizzle posted:

Catch is you’re a lifelong dem voter now.

Lol

Lmao

Hold on now, before voting first you need to ascertain whether or not each Dem candidate is a Pell Grant recipient. Hate that we gotta means test votes but them's the breaks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's honestly a pretty great marketing job by whoever came up with it. Say 10k over and over, people focus and anchor on that. Imagine how much worse the incessant screeching would've been if The Number was $20,000 instead of 10.

But like, I don't know, 75% of people getting forgiveness under this plan qualify for the 20k? Like 90% of the screechers had so much family money they never even knew about Pell grants so they have no clue how many people are actually getting 20k. So everyone's seething and flinging poo while millions of people are having their debt entirely wiped clean.

just not the poor lawyers. where is our forgiveness ??

but yeah this was actually a demonstration of political skill which .. I didn’t think Biden possessed

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

apatheticman posted:

Oh gently caress off. It's clearly in the context of people already in that working relationship not all jobs ever

Fewer people commuting is objectively better for everyone, even the people whose jobs do need to be done in person. So even without the obvious context the complaint is weird and wrong.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

ngl i've been tempted but then i think about how that's a month of groceries

the real head scratcher is these though:

I had to go into an Apple store this past weekend and I actually rolled those things around and gotta say, as far as wheels go, they’re pretty good wheels.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

10k should be added to every lawyers debt

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

shrike82 posted:

bought them using my company’s WFH stipend - lol haven’t touched them since

they’re incredibly heavy

if you mail them to me I’ll pay postage and shipping lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist