Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Excuse me sir!
Do you need tuk-tuk?
Picture? *gestures camera at you*
Guide?
*whispers* Hash. Weed. Marijuana. Smoke.
Pashmina? Cashmir? Low price!
View Results

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Capn Jobe posted:

I'd imagine I stand out as a tourist just by being white and looking at everything/taking photos, but I saw several people who looked like they came out of a dictionary entry for tourist (Hawaiian shirt, bucket hat, satchel) and they were doing fine. So I'm at a loss.

Maybe it’s like those poisonous animals with bright colors. If you stand out SO much, touts will think you’re a broke backpacking sexpest hobo, or a serial killer on the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Capn Jobe posted:

I'd imagine I stand out as a tourist just by being white and looking at everything/taking photos, but I saw several people who looked like they came out of a dictionary entry for tourist (Hawaiian shirt, bucket hat, satchel) and they were doing fine. So I'm at a loss.

I was in Delhi twice during my trip to India, once when I had just landed and once a month later when I had a few days to kill before I flew back. While it never was as bad as you described, the difference between the first and the second time was very noticeable. It felt like something must have changed in my demeanor that made me less of a stand out target. In general I felt the more northern areas (Himachal, Chandigarh) were more chill, so maybe try going there.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You mentioned talking to the touts. I'd say never do that - don't acknowledge, don't reply, especially don't glance at their face to see how they're reacting and don't ever worry that you're being rude.

It's possible to have banter with touts but it's extreme hard mode.

That said, no idea why one city would be so bad when Jaipur was fine. Seconding the above, I used to feel my mood had a big effect.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Potential discussion topics:
- Nepal trek routes and the current road construction situation.

I'm going to try and get myself to do an effortpost on my couple weeks in Nepal once I finish sorting through the thousands of photos from my month wandering around procrastinating on getting a new job, but just wanted to say jesus christ what in the gently caress are those people doing with their road construction?!

I took a bus from the Chitwan area to Lumbini (by which I mean I took 4 buses because despite both notionally being tourist destinations there are only local buses between them, which do not connect anywhere near directly) and virtually all of the ten hours was spent on what appeared to be land that was graded for a highway which was never paved. We would periodically have to off-road the bus over the median to switch sides because a massive pile of rocks was left across one side, and of course there was no consistency in which side they'd block with the piles. The dust was insane (no AC so windows open the whole time) between that and the air pollution generally, I'm glad I brought N95s.

Really feels like they just started all of the road projects in the entire country at once, and then just kinda got tired of most of them and decided to only stick with a couple tunnels up by Kathmandu. At least those had workers around, even if they didn't appear to be doing anything.