Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chichevache posted:

Buncha snowflakes complained about the Legion of Boom not being penalized and you know what happens when too many snowflakes pile up, they snowball into an avalanche of PC reffing killing the sport of football through liberal pussification.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Play posted:

struggling even harder... gently caress those guys the NFL should start it's own referee jobs program where folks can make a career of it instead of rich fucks on power trips getting a stranglehold on the position and (probably) throwing games for their ILLUMINATI masters

Where are you going to get them practical experience?

Currently when they hire refs, they poach from the refs of the top college conferences, who poach from the mid-tier ones, who poach from D2 / HS leagues.

Due to all the turnover from driving out the old coaches since their last contract, the NFL is now getting guys with an average of like 7-10 years coaching, when they used to get guys who had 15+ years experience.

Hiring a bunch of guys from outside this system and having them ref a couple of pre-season games is going to go comically badly. Remember, the replacement refs were pretty much all longtime lower tier college guys.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 22, 2019

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

My hottest take: after the first few weeks of fuckups, the replacement refs were at the exact same level as the current refs, and the big call that got them all fired was actually the correct call of a bad rule.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Make it so refs can only be fans of long suffering franchises that have never won a SB.

NFL parity will sort itself out from that point.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

sirtommygunn posted:

My hottest take: after the first few weeks of fuckups, the replacement refs were at the exact same level as the current refs, and the big call that got them all fired was actually the correct call of a bad rule.

Absolutely not.

The real refs have never lined up the ball on the wrong 40 yard line after a play.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kalli posted:

Where are you going to get them practical experience?

Currently when they hire refs, they poach from the refs of the top college conferences, who poach from the mid-tier ones, who poach from D2 / HS leagues.

Due to all the turnover from driving out the old coaches since their last contract, the NFL is now getting guys with an average of like 7-10 years coaching, when they used to get guys who had 15+ years experience.

Hiring a bunch of guys from outside this system and having them ref a couple of pre-season games is going to go comically badly. Remember, the replacement refs were pretty much all longtime lower tier college guys.

I wasn't being that serious, the hint being the comment about the illuminati. I guess I'll give an example though

Just like any school, they'd be taught extensively in the classroom and with practical tools. Everyone has to pass a test proving encyclopedic knowledge of the rule book. Then they'd go on to their "internship"during which they would work as referees at various levels of college football while being evaluated throughout on your ability to make the correct calls and be a good ref. That "15" years of experience is actually a limited number of actual games but these full time professionals would be able to do a lot more every year. Not everyone is going to pass but the best ones who have proven they can make the correct calls would be brought up to work as side judges and such to be groomed to take over the full role

I mean, what was the NFLs plan when they wanted to make the refs full time?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Play posted:

I mean, what was the NFLs plan when they wanted to make the refs full time?

To force the existing ones to all retire so they could hire new ones that they didn't have to give pensions to.

The entirety of their plan was to cut spending on refs, that's it, that was the plan.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

To force the existing ones to all retire so they could hire new ones that they didn't have to give pensions to.

The entirety of their plan was to cut spending on refs, that's it, that was the plan.

Just another example of how rear end backwards the NFL is and how poorly it strategizes

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Play posted:

Just another example of how rear end backwards the NFL is and how poorly it strategizes

Yeah, I mean if the league had an actual plan to improve reffing, I'd be open to it, but they've literally just spent a decade gutting it because it could increase their profits by 0.1%

But yeah, just like with players, they could fix a lot of problems by throwing money at the lower leagues (imagine if they had a minor league like the AAF with which to train refs and experiment with rules, wouldn't that be crazy?)

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the refs wanted to keep the right to have other careers so they could have leverage during strikes and lockouts. if you have trouble siding with labor there then you really just shouldn't be offering an opinion or are actively malicious I guess

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ghost Dog posted:

the refs wanted to keep the right to have other careers so they could have leverage during strikes and lockouts. if you have trouble siding with labor there then you really just shouldn't be offering an opinion or are actively malicious I guess

I stand with Vontaze Burfict, just like the other members of NFL Labor do.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

cracking black peoples skulls solidarity from a cop

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ghost Dog posted:

cracking black peoples skulls solidarity from a cop

He got his ban for hitting a white dude.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ghost Dog posted:

you'd think the ILLUMINATI (literally all caps) joke would be enough to demonstrate how serious I was about supporting or not supporting the referees union. It was a joke about the contradiction between always supporting labor and having a deep hatred for referees, thank you for making me have to explain it though jokes are always better when fully explained

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ghost Dog posted:

nice meltdown

i accept your apology