Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/penalties.htm

Double digit % increase on overall penalties compared to last year
Over 50% more offensive holds
Flag
Flag
:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:
Is it just me? It can't be, the stats bear it out and I can't remember the last time I've been this bored and annoyed watching football. Even during games with 2 teams I couldn't care less about, I still find myself on edge. What's a catch? What's a fumble? What's a hold? What is life? What is the meaning of life?

Why did they add this whole Challenge Pass Interference thing when none of them, however obvious, are overturned? Are they loving with me? Do they really want me to buy a new truck that badly? Someone please send help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

sweet thursday posted:

Over 50% more offensive holds
This is one of those "points of emphasis" for this year.

quote:

Why did they add this whole Challenge Pass Interference thing when none of them, however obvious, are overturned? Are they loving with me? Do they really want me to buy a new truck that badly? Someone please send help
Here's the deal: Benson and Payton were so pissed off about the NFCCG non-call that they managed to yell enough that the owners and competition committee just acquiesced on allowing PI review last spring. Then people thought about it for a while, and realized that making PI subject to the same Zapruder Film-style review as everything else would suck balls and slow the game down (like it did in the CFL). So, to try and stuff at least a few worms back in the can, the directive came down that Riveron isn't going to reverse a drat thing unless it's a missed PI that's literally as egregious as the LA-NO non-call or like a complete phantom PI where the defender didn't even breath on the receiver.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
They've refused to pick up bad DPI flags in review, which kind of pisses me off. What's the drat point of taking all that time away from the viewer if you're never every going to change the result. Like, they'll affirm the call so long as the defender made any contact whatsoever, no matter how small and inconsequential. The only time they're going to overturn it apparently is if the review shows the defender didn't touch the receiver at ALL

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Singular bad calls don't actually matter, pace of play is infinitely more important to making the game actually watchable, and trying to fix the former shits up the latter.

The entire PI thing is dumb on multiple levels, more time is wasted on challenges just so the challenges can not be taken seriously anyway, unless it's some super extreme of either "literally no contact" or "hit the dude with an exploder suplex."

Legalize everything but head hits, kneecapping and ankle locks. Offense can hold, defense can hold, pick plays are legal, hail Satan.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
They've let phantom PI calls stand though. The rule is a bigger mess than it was at conception.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Ches Neckbeard posted:

They've let phantom PI calls stand though. The rule is a bigger mess than it was at conception.

sounds about right

tuck rule, catch rule, et cetera

on the bright side this will go away in eight years

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Holding can be called on every play but that doesn't mean it should

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

Holding can be called on every play but that doesn't mean it should

Yep, it's basically impossible to block people with any effectiveness without grabbing onto them to some extent. Where exactly that becomes holding seems to be the issue and differs significantly from game to game.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Holding rules should be re-written to reflect the reality. Holding outside the arms, tugging the jersey are what gets called.

PI should be changed to 15 yards only outside the red zone. Take away coaches challenging it and have an eye in the sky for the "loving blind refs" calls that aren't just two guys fighting for position on the ball.

Change pass attempt to avoid a fumble to require an overhand passing motion. Which will result in more fun as hell turnover plays.

Change intentional grounding to include out of pocket passes, see above.

Get rid of 12th man penalties when a guy is just about to finish running off the field. Offenses don't need free yards. Penalize teams that try to cheat the running on / off the field thing with unsportsmanlike conducts. Same for players that abuse safety rules (QB's running to the sideline, seeing the defender slow up, then juking back in bounds).

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Include the sudden drop slide. There's a lot of guys who like to dead drop straight down to draw a penalty instead of an actual slide and gently caress this head first slide nonsense. That's just begging for penalties

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What's the point of the intentional grounding rule? If we want QBs to eat fewer kill shots they should just be able to say "screw it" and throw the ball into the dirt to end the play. It's a lost down for the offense regardless.

e: I'm sleep deprived so maybe I'm missing something super obvious? :saddowns:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sean10mm posted:

What's the point of the intentional grounding rule? If we want QBs to eat fewer kill shots they should just be able to say "screw it" and throw the ball into the dirt to end the play. It's a lost down for the offense regardless.

e: I'm sleep deprived so maybe I'm missing something super obvious? :saddowns:

it's probably there to encourage sacks in the same way the in the grasp rule does

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, basically there should be risk to passing the ball, because football should be exciting, which watching Brady / Rodgers / Brees just rocket a pass into the dirt when a play is dead isn't. Forcing QB's to attempt a throw makes them hold the ball longer or risk a turnover, and sacks and ints are pretty exciting plays, as are sweet as gently caress contested catches or QB's running around like a headless chicken for 10s before uncorking a bomb to a weirdly open guy.

So make intentional grounding a rules emphasis and remove the out of pocket exception. Throw that ball near a receiver and maybe do something about those dead RB screen plays, and let defenses eat.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I forget who said it, but they had imo a good rule change that the first time a QB tries to gain extra yards by juking back in bounds or not sliding should lose that protection for the rest of the game.

Edit:

Also see Rodgers last week flicking the ball into the ground when he was wrapped up.

In the case of grounding it has to be a full throw or it is a fumble.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Basically what that would mean is that every throw that isn't overhand is essentially a fumble unless it's caught. That's a pretty huge departure from what we have now and the obvious response would be to stop pitching underhand which I don't like

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

OxySnake posted:

I forget who said it, but they had imo a good rule change that the first time a QB tries to gain extra yards by juking back in bounds or not sliding should lose that protection for the rest of the game.

Edit:

Also see Rodgers last week flicking the ball into the ground when he was wrapped up.

They could just penalize it, it's already an unsportsmanlike penalty to fake substituting a WR and have them start right by the sidelines

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I love them. I'm going to do it to a referee and have them do it to me.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

OxySnake posted:

Edit:

One good no-call this year was in Seattle when someone played to the whistle shoving Wilson out of bounds. Crowd booed it, apparently forgetting when Rodgers got cute with it to get some extra yards.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
football has become essentially ungovernable

what is occurring during a series of football events is unknowable

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

OxySnake posted:

I like this, just for the time that loving Eli or somebody accidentally stumbles into a few extra yards and the ref tells him "that's it, you're a marked man now".

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The increase of penalties is absolutely baffling to me. They completely ruin the flow of a game. Far too many big plays are called back on penalties that barely (if at all) have a big impact on the play. Did the NFL take away from the non-PI call in the Saints/Rams games that people just want more penalties?

The league's goal should be to cut penalties down in half; assign more responsibility to an off-the-field judge (every reviewed play for example); ignore any penalties that do not directly affect the play (I don't care if a guy was holding 10 yards away from the runner).

Also, get some freaking glasses for these guys, are they blind or something?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
It's easier to argue for reduced player salaries on the next contract when the real star of the game is a referee.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Maybe it's just the games I'm watching but it seems like the increased scrutiny on Holding is only for running plays. That and Roughing the Passer has become outright farcical.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Simplex posted:

Maybe it's just the games I'm watching but it seems like the increased scrutiny on Holding is only for running plays. That and Roughing the Passer has become outright farcical.

like this ridiculous call from this week:

https://twitter.com/BrigettePerkins...all-on-steelers

there was also a totally ridiculous one in the Cards/Bengals game where a defender brushes the top of Murray's helmet with his hand, drawing a flag. If someone could find that that would be great, it's SUPPOSED to be FORCIBLE

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

https://twitter.com/SirYacht/status/1183463772347928577

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Called penalties per game

2009 - 13.9
2010 - 13.9
2011 - 14.6
2012 - 14.3
2012 - 14.3
2013 - 13.6
2014 - 15.9
2015 - 16.2
2016 - 15.8
2017 - 15.8
2018 - 15.8
2019 - 18.3

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nah posted:

2009 - 13.9
2010 - 13.9
2011 - 14.6
2012 - 14.3
2012 - 14.3
2013 - 13.6
2014 - 15.9
2015 - 16.2
2016 - 15.8
2017 - 15.8
2018 - 15.8
2019 - 18.3

It's easier to negotiate player salaries when they're not the stars of the game anymore.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

nah posted:

2009 - 13.9
2010 - 13.9
2011 - 14.6
2012 - 14.3
2012 - 14.3
2013 - 13.6
2014 - 15.9
2015 - 16.2
2016 - 15.8
2017 - 15.8
2018 - 15.8
2019 - 18.3

"Oh you don't like how we call the games, huh? You want PI to be reviewable, huh? We'll show you what real pain looks like."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Consistent officiating in a game with 22 moving pieces every play has always been a fools errand and now we are seeing the final endgame

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Easy solution: after each play an AI bot will analyze the Twitter reaction to determine if the correct call was made.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The 6 consecutive penalties that ruined what wouldve been an exciting game determining drive by the Cowboys against the Jets almost made me blackout in anger

The refs never really seem to consider if a penalty is really worth it over just being technically callable.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Easy solution: after each play an AI bot will analyze the Twitter reaction to determine if the correct call was made.

As long as the AI bot accounts for heavy bias from New Orleans.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

why do they need to have penalties in the first place if every player can do the same things if they're strong, fast, or smart enough? Let them sort it out

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Cavauro posted:

why do they need to have penalties in the first place if every player can do the same things if they're strong, fast, or smart enough? Let them sort it out

Darwin is my sky judge

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cavauro posted:

This was the unironic position Ray Lewis made back in the day

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

seiferguy posted:

As long as the AI bot accounts for heavy bias from New Orleans.

Twitter is text based and Saints fans are predominantly illiterate so I think we're fine

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just a note the head of officials is new this year and is terrible at his job.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

This is one of those situations where you shouldn't put yourself in the position for the refs to make a bad call, and the Browns with their poor execution did exactly that. That being said, reading the rule and watching the broadcast angle of this play the refs probably made the correct call.

The play before was a pretty crystal clear ineligible man downfield as well.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Simplex posted:

This is one of those situations where you shouldn't put yourself in the position for the refs to make a bad call, and the Browns with their poor execution did exactly that. That being said, reading the rule and watching the broadcast angle of this play the refs probably made the correct call.

The play before was a pretty crystal clear ineligible man downfield as well.

Man I actually fell for that bait for a minute

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The 6 consecutive penalties that ruined what wouldve been an exciting game determining drive by the Cowboys against the Jets almost made me blackout in anger

The refs never really seem to consider if a penalty is really worth it over just being technically callable.

I've been trying to find a good explainer on what the refs thought was happening, because that entire sequence was MADDENING. There are definitely worse single penalty calls (in the same game, even!), but at some point you gotta realize that maybe you're loving up.. right?