Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
yeah im dumb as all hell

<excellent air guitar solo>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
It's me. I'm here. What's up, you need something mathed or whatever?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

knowing where the manuals are and how to look up stuff in them makes you smarter than most educated people.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
its not me because I post. and I definitely am not smart enough to comprehend how bad my posting is

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
the girl reading this :)

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

axolotl farmer posted:

knowing where the manuals are and how to look up stuff in them makes you smarter than most educated people.

it was a sad day when i realized this. my estimate for how smart a group of people could be fell by quite a bit.

i’d never thought of myself as smart, and when i realized i was probably really in the upper quartile like teachers used to treat me, and what that really meant about everyone else.... my internal reaction was “oh noooo...”

if you people are expecting major smart to come from me to magic all this bullshit into something useful you poor dumb fuckers are going to be sorely disappointed.

my powers of smrt consist almost entirely of “can read manual to find answer to question”
and “kinda remember a previous relevant experience that can inform current situation” and apparently this is a superpower or something??

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

sometimes i feel like that guy in one of the Hitchhiker’s Guide books that has to re-derive how to operate a pencil every time he picks one up , and is also the person who makes every important decision for every governing body in the universe.

like i cannot seriously be the one who leads the work on unfucking this mess, can i? dont we have anyone else around who actually knows what the hell is going on? wtf?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

seriously.

if i end up being the smartest person here... we’re hosed.

sorry.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

axolotl farmer posted:

knowing how to know things is so undervalued as a skill

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, it is one of those disheartening discoveries that exceptional intelligence is kind of more mundane than one thinks, and the idea of "superintelligence" is largely imaginary. some kind of inheritance from the ancient greeks where someone sufficiently smart could sit down, close their eyes, and intuit the workings of the universe by pure reason. when in reality pretty much all progress happens through experimentation and orderly but not that otherwordly heads being slammed against a wall repeatedly.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Agile Vector posted:

yeah. yeah it is.

we teach this in stages.

step 1 is learn to read.
step 2 is learn that books contain more than just “Dick pats the bunny.”
step 3 is to ask a question whos answer is contained in a book, and see how many can go find it.
step 4 is to learn how to write things down in books in such a fashion as to allow others to use the book at step 3.

i think for many, if not most people, they never really get past step 2.

and that’s terrifying.

my thermo class was split between the people who could take the 3 laws and 2 corollary integrals and derive from them whatever they needed to analyze the problem and people who never made it over that hump. i think only 1/3 of the class passed. and we were seniors in a decent and rigorous engineering curriculum who had already gotten past the weed out classes.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Agile Vector posted:

if aaron sorkin has taught me anything it’s actually that being smart is the ability to rattle off facts suuuuuper fast

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

President Beep posted:

if aaron sorkin has taught me anything it’s actually that being smart is the ability to rattle off facts suuuuuper fast

its actually the ability to correct people

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

carry on then posted:

:monocle:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

carry on then posted:

beep is owned again

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

carry on then posted:

:wrong:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Roosevelt posted:

beep is owned again

carry on then should return him for a refund

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

carry on then should return him for a refund

oh no not again

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hey i promised to be nice now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013