Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
don't worry, winning this isn't actually a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in fact, regarding the yospos demographic, it's probably likely that less smarts is correlated with more happiness, more satisfaction and contentment with life, and less of a likelihood to want to drown in sweet sweet beer every day from now until you die

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this

or that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ps this is a name and shame thread. fishmech clearly has the most wikipedia urls memorised. that was a given. the rest aren't quite as clear :hmmmm:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the very act of posting in yospos, especially for an entire decade, precludes someone being smart

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I thought dick clark already settled this one.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTBybDqhIPM

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
smartest man in the world, but bereft of the one thing he needs: the delicate touch of a woman

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

is it u op

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
well, it's definitely not me.

how are we defining "smartest", anyway?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I am a statistical anomaly, I am both dumb and unhappy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

knows things

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I have memorized the entire windows xp key from work, does that count as knowing things?

I don't know how to properly peel a potato though.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

- has won ‘smartest kid in America’ game show
- stans windows and android endlessly
- is enormously pedantic, especially over uninteresting topics like transport infrastructure in New Jersey in the 1990s
- likes anime
- is universally reviled on the something awful forums but also kind of tolerated/admired as an archetype
- is forums poster fishmech/Nintendo kid

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
The yoscattes are smarter than all of us.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
it's stymie

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Gentle Autist posted:

- has won ‘smartest kid in America’ game show
- stans windows and android endlessly
- is enormously pedantic, especially over uninteresting topics like transport infrastructure in New Jersey in the 1990s
- likes anime
- is universally reviled on the something awful forums but also kind of tolerated/admired as an archetype
- is forums poster fishmech/Nintendo kid

she’s chill

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm pretty smart

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
it's me. proof:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i avoid telling my students that they're smart. instead if they do well i tell them that they must have worked hard. i think that this is psychologically healthier.

if you tell someone they succeeded because they're smart, they hear that they are automatically good at it without trying, so i think it actually belittles their accomplishment somewhat. more importantly, it doesn't give them any way forward should they start to struggle. oh well i guess since this is hard i must not be good at it and i never will be because i'm not smart in that way.

on the other hand if you tell them they worked really hard, they hear that their time and effort -- something they make a conscious decision to apply -- is valued. and if something is hard, they just think oh, that's okay, all i have to do is keep working at it and i'll improve. nothing more to it than that, no need to panic or get depressed.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

its definitely not me so cross that out

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i'm not exactly sure what accounts are free ranged goats posting about computers, but they're definitely the best

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

i avoid telling my students that they're smart. instead if they do well i tell them that they must have worked hard. i think that this is psychologically healthier.

if you tell someone they succeeded because they're smart, they hear that they are automatically good at it without trying, so i think it actually belittles their accomplishment somewhat. more importantly, it doesn't give them any way forward should they start to struggle. oh well i guess since this is hard i must not be good at it and i never will be because i'm not smart in that way.

on the other hand if you tell them they worked really hard, they hear that their time and effort -- something they make a conscious decision to apply -- is valued. and if something is hard, they just think oh, that's okay, all i have to do is keep working at it and i'll improve. nothing more to it than that, no need to panic or get depressed.

That's definitely the way to go, I wish I had gotten more praise for hard work in school rather than everyone just telling me how smart I was. Being smart doesn't take you very far unless you apply yourself

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

knows things

this is like the worst possible definition. and not just because i am personally incapable of retaining even the basic facts necessary to navigate my life day-to-day.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yeah ability to think (smartness) and ability to remember things seem mostly orthogonal

at least it seems that way to me, a person who forgets all things (except the useless things)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like what? put a jigsaw puzzle together

my father in law loves sudoku. presumbly he's good at it.. but does this "exercise" his brain like it's talked about around the sudoku table? I presume the sudoku circuits in his brain are fine. idk if it makes him go supermarket shopping coz he doesn't enjoy it therefore doesn't do it .. wtf?

people call me smart, it's a wide (maybe shallow, but at least wide) knowledge base, especially around science stuff, that makes me seem like I know what I am talking about it real life. and picking up new concepts isn't that difficult, and no problems using computers. makes you the smartest person in your suburb

here in yospos tho, there are dozens of people like that too, only better and can see through my sad facade

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

like what? put a jigsaw puzzle together

my father in law loves sudoku. presumbly he's good at it.. but does this "exercise" his brain like it's talked about around the sudoku table? I presume the sudoku circuits in his brain are fine. idk if it makes him go supermarket shopping coz he doesn't enjoy it therefore doesn't do it .. wtf?

people call me smart, it's a wide (maybe shallow, but at least wide) knowledge base, especially around science stuff, that makes me seem like I know what I am talking about it real life. and picking up new concepts isn't that difficult, and no problems using computers. makes you the smartest person in your suburb

here in yospos tho, there are dozens of people like that too, only better and can see through my sad facade

i am not quite sure what the point you're going for is precisely, but obviously knowledge without an ability to logically reason from it is quite worthless, and even colloquially it is sort of the opposite of "smart" (e.g. "book smart" is largely used in a derogatory way).

equally obviously my inability to remember stuff (including forgetting entirely things i have carefully worked out logically in the past) means i'm not very smart either.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 24, 2019

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
It's definitely someone who didn't post in this thread.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

knowing which pills to put in the container op

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Whoever has the most posts in the "cat thread" is definitely the smartest person in this forum

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i am not quite sure what the point you're going for is precisely, but obviously knowledge without an ability to logically reason from it is quite worthless, and even colloquially it is sort of the opposite of "smart" (e.g. "book smart" is largely used in a derogatory way).

equally obviously my inability to remember stuff (including forgetting entirely things i have carefully worked out logically in the past) means i'm not very smart either.

ability to store and recall lots of information is definitely a component of intelligence, being able to synthesise contextual meaning from it dials it way up

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

intelligence is measured by the square footage of your memory palace

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm dumb af.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

people push the "sudoku is good for old people's brains" because like needlepoint, ships in a bottle and other time consuming menial tasks, it keeps them from putting on a suit and going down to the bus stop to wait for the 11:32 to Skokie so they can deploy to Guadalcanal

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i am a moron

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

its u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

I'm dumb af.