Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flashback to 2011 when I was still new to this forum and when I asked what I should make for Christmas, somebody suggested crown roast as a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
No pictures but I pulled off my first motherfuckin' Xmas dinner for a crowd!

Did sous vide duck breast seared, prime rib roast, grilled salmon for a pescetarian in attendance, and clam chowder w./ real clams, which was novel for a midwestern crowd and really tastey.

The sides were pretty basic - cheesey potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, fresh rolls.

As usual, Serious Eats is my favorite for techniques and learning, but their timing is always off for me. The roast was 5.5lbs and they recommend either 150 for 6 hours or 250 for 4. It was basically stuck about 10 degrees below where I needed it to be, so kinda added a middle stage to the reverse sear, an anxiety ridden 15-30 minutes of 350 degrees and close monitoring. It turned out right at medium, a decent medium-rare pinkness for most of the slices.

i was in a bit of a daze by the time I sat down, hoo-leh gently caress.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, I just moved away from my hometown a couple weeks ago, and while I've lived on my own since I was 19, my mother has always been around to make food for me (she is a truly excellent and avid cook - I grew up watching her cook all the time, which I think was a good sort of.. semi-subconscious education. I was always curious and asking questions and wanted to help stir this or saute that.

So anyway! My absolute FAVORITE thing my mom would make every Thanksgiving and/or Christmas, was this incredibly tasty stuffing/dressing - she almost never would actually stuff it into a bird, just make it separately in another baking pan. So when I got out here, I wanted to make my mother's stuffing for everyone else (and, selfishly, myself of course), but I also wanted to try making it because it was a legitimate challenge.

I truly really like to cook, but I've never been ambitious at all. I kinda stick to breakfast-type stuff; I'm pretty good at makings eggs (I like egg-in-the-basket), pancakes, bacon, etc, and I can do most basic stuff, bit as I said I've never gotten ambitious. The stuffing I made last night was basically my first venture cooking that complicated where I was the one calling shots and making the decisions about what to cook and how much and when and where and what and so on. I got very useful help from my good friend/new roommate doing some of the prep work - she knew the best way to dice onions and mince parsley, for example.

Anyway, the whole thing was a RESOUNDING success, all in all. I was honestly like, truly amazed at just how well it turned out - It was my first time cooking something this ambitious, and it was in a new kitchen and I was making it for people I wanted to make a good impression on. So I felt very gratified when everyone thought it was really great and tasty, and my friend/roomie's mother it was the BEST stuffing she had ever had, and insisted I send her the 'secret family recipe' - which I was more than happy to write out for her. Probably her recipe is not too different than most, but it's elegant and delicious in its simplicity.

Best of all, I got that effect of it being perfectly browned and crispy on the top exposed layer, and perfectly soft and slightly gooey inside when it first came out. And it really tasted JUST like what my mom would make, I really succeeded in emulating her, more or less, which was one of my goals. Mos important of all, we all loved it :3:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Liquid Communism posted:

2 weeks resting complete, the fruitcake is ready to serve.

I enjoyed your fruitcake posts, and that looks really lovely.

For various reasons I will be seeing my family in February rather than this month, so I started my batch of fruitcake this week. It took one day for fruit preparation, then some mellowing time, then another day for baking. The loaves are now resting and getting brushed with spirits every few days.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Since I recently moved, my dad had the idea of doing a Christmas dinner together at my new place. These are the results of our collaboration; the amuse was all his, the dessert was all mine, the rest we did together. The guests loved it, so it was a success in my book.

Amuse: Smoked eel brandade with caviar

First course: Salmon and scallop tiradito

Second course: Foie gras crème brulée

Soup: Mushroom consommé with liquid pumpkin spheres

Main course: Hare dumpling with roasted shallot and red wine sauce.

Dessert: Buttermilk panna cotta with pear compote and caramelized pecans.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
What the gently caress:stonk:

I want all of that

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What are some good seasonal/party dishes that are healthy? I'll be doing a meat/cheese plate (Costco cheese and boars Head charcuterie), baked brie, and a fruit plate (Supremed citrus salad, sliced apples and spreads). Veg and baba ganoush another night. What else is good? No restrictions besides calories.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
We finally celebrated our Polish Christmas last night. It was a big success and everyone had tons of food.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Suspect Bucket posted:

What are some good seasonal/party dishes that are healthy? I'll be doing a meat/cheese plate (Costco cheese and boars Head charcuterie), baked brie, and a fruit plate (Supremed citrus salad, sliced apples and spreads). Veg and baba ganoush another night. What else is good? No restrictions besides calories.

Lightly pickled veggies come to mind - carrot rounds, haricots verts, broccoli stem slices, and cauliflower florets are tasty, make a beautiful presentation, and they are very quick to make.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wine Santa was a big hit! We went through nine bottles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om8q_GWXMN0

Some splatters from when the Santa ran out of wine and sputtered.

Friend’s daughter felt he needed eyes so she made anime eyes

Probably gonna use a rubber Santa mask to give him facial features next time

We brainstormed what could be done in the future and now I’m thinking of making a full body Russian prostitute peeing on a baby Trump for the upcoming election

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Notes about KBBQ for the holidays:

KBBQ gets cold fast and is so much better when it’s hot so either A) do it at the table on a portable grill B) do a single batch on a full grill and cook it last and rush it to the table or C) have everyone stand around the outdoor grill and eat it as it comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That wine Santa looks insane. Congratulations!