Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's November and you know what that means! Because you are the Person Who Cooks amongst your friends or family, it is a sacred duty you have to show off and make your friends and family worship your cooking.

My mom is old and tired and since she had three kids, she sluffs off the holiday dinner chores onto us now. My sister handles Thanksgiving and buys a take-out smoked turkey from Lucille's with 10 sides for $170 or so and it feeds a dozen people (a pretty good option if you can't cook for whatever reason). My brother handles New Year and takes us out to restaurants. Me, I'm the cook so I cook Christmas dinner. But on top of that I'm a bleeding heart softie so for the last few years I've started offering a Black Friday Thanksgiving dinner for friends who didn't have family or couldn't be with their families. I average about 20-28 people at my holidays. It's packed but I've figured out neat ways to maximize the space in my living room.

Cooking for a lot of people means I also have to make sure A) Muslim people can eat poo poo B) vegetarians and pescatarians can eat poo poo

For the last 5 years I've been leaning on the Kenji playbook but since he's too busy with his book and restaurant empire lately to post recipes Bon Apetit has been making a strong play for why they should be your go-to Thanksgiving source. Nothing they've posted has the bang-wow showmanship of Kenji's but they're making a pretty good case for flavor superiority

MAKE A TURKEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brAJ7pEudFU
- Deep Fried Turchetta (Kenji)
- Spatchcock herb butter turkey (Kenji)
- Baking steel turkey (if no baking steel, use a baking stone or cast iron griddle) (Kenji)
- Smoked bbq turkey (Meathead)

MAKE ANOTHER MEAT
- 48 hour sous vide ribs (Momofuku)
- Maple-glazed ham (Kenji)
- Salmon Sous Vide Mi-Cuit (Chefsteps)

MAKE A STUFFIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j9XYLsV5DM
Stuffing Waffles (Kenji) (swap out the sausage for ground beef or lamb if you have Mooslem guests, or Morningstar vegetarian sausage if you have vegetarian friends, nobody can tell the difference!)

MAKE A CARBY THING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO5qtrG_ln4
- Hasselback potato gratin (Kenji)
- Buttery mashed potato, 3:1 potato:butter ratio (Chef John)
- If you wanna go nuts with the butter, go with Robuchon's 2:1 ratio
- Mashed yellow turnips, yes I know it's not potato but it plays the part (Ina Garten)
- Sweet potato casserole or mash, or candied yams
- Pressure Cooker Risotto (Kenji)
- Macaroni: Modernist (sodium citrate), Kenji's (evaporated milk)

MAKE A VEGETABLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea-qS1zCT5A
- Roasted Brussel sprouts (Ina Garten)
- Green bean casserole
- Ratatouille (Thomas Keller)
- Salad
- Corn
- Cranberry sauce

MAKE A BREADY THING
- Rolls or bread
- Cornbread

MAKE A DESSERT
- Pumpkin pie
- Pecan pie

MAKE DRANKS
- Aged Eggnog
- Mulled wine
- Hot chocolate

Anyways feel free to share ideas and post questions! We can recommend recipes, ideas and even kitchen gear you might need to buy for the holidays

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

When you have a small enough group, the insanity of a turkey porchetta is so loving delicious.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
We always do a Polish Christmas every year where we make a ton of pierogies and galumpkis. Here's my galumpki recipe.

· 2 tablespoons Olive Oil #1
· 2 teaspoons minced garlic #1
· 28 ounces Crushed Tomatoes, Canned
· 8 ounces Tomato Sauce
· 14 ½ ounces Diced Tomatoes, Canned
· ⅛ teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
· 2 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
· 1 tablespoon Sugar
· ¼ teaspoons Salt #1
· ¼ teaspoons Black Pepper #1
· 2 tablespoons Olive oil #2
· 1 cup dice Onion, Yellow
· 2 teaspoons mince Garlic, minced #2
· 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
· 2 tablespoons Red Wine
· 2 tablespoons chop Parsley, Fresh
· 1 pound Ground Beef
· 1 pound Ground Pork
· 1 ½ cups cook White Rice, Long-Grain
· ¼ teaspoons Salt #2
· ¼ teaspoons Black Pepper #2
· 2 whole Cabbage
· 2 tablespoons Olive oil #3

1. Heat olive oil #1 in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add garlic #1 and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in red pepper, white wine vinegar, and sugar. Simmer a few minutes until slightly thickened.
4. Season with salt #1 and pepper #1. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Heat olive oil #2 in medium skillet. Sauté onions and minced garlic until soft.
6. Stir in tomato paste, red wine, parsley and 0.5 cups prepared sauce.
7. Remove from heat.
8. In a large bowl, combine meats (raw), onion and tomato mixture, and cooked rice. Season with salt #2 and pepper #2 and set aside.
9. Boil a large pot of salted water over high heat.
10. Remove cores and outer damaged leaves of cabbage. (Save outer leaves) Remove remaining leaves carefully. (This part is a pain in the rear end)
11. Blanch leaves for 5 minutes.
12. Drain leaves and run under cold water.
13. Prepare baking pan by lining with reserved outer leaves.
14. Lay out blanched leaves and place about 0.5 cup filling in each, rolling up burrito style.
15. Place seam side down in baking pan.
16. Pour remaining sauce over rolls and fold in the cabbage leaf "blanket".
17. Drizzle with olive oil #3.
18. Bake at 350 until internal temperature with meat thermometer is 165*

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Can i have your pierogie recipe?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

toplitzin posted:

Can i have your pierogie recipe?

I don't really have one only because you can put basically whatever you want in them. My family's favorites are "loaded mashed potatoes" which are just mashed potatoes with bacon and cheese. Other popular ones have been goat cheese + mushrooms, mushroom + onions, feta and minced lamb. Dessert ones are a little tricky. Classics like blueberry or cherry always work out well but I've tried making Nutella ones and PB&J ones and they both failed spectacularly. I do have a totally chill cheat though. You can usually find egg roll wrappers in grocery stores and trim them to be circles and you don't have to make the dough. I know my grandma would bitch at me if she knew but they turn out great and I hate rolling the dough as thin as it needs to be.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 30, 2019

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Your Thanksgiving pictures always look so festive. For kenji related content, I might make these for an early thanksgiving next weekend: https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-food-lab-pull-apart-thanksgiving-stuffing-flavored-rolls.html

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
No one should be making Dorcas Reilly's classic Green Bean Casserole as formulated for Campbell's in 1955. Even then people thought it vile. I consider it a terrible thing.

But if you must have it on your table, alongside the horrors of Sweet Potato covered in Marshmallows and dead stuffing, try this version.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/11/the-food-lab-thanksgiving-special-the-ultimat.html

Fry the shallots anyway. They're great.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Green bean casserole is delightful :colbert:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

On the 23rd I'll be hosting my 11th annual friendsgiving, which I care about more than cooking for my actual family because my friends actually appreciate it. It is a not potluck where I do most of the cooking but some guests do bring dishes. This year I'll be preparing:
Sous vide turkey - I've done turkey every way you can. Best I've done was smoked, easiest/best was fried, but for small apartment kitchen I usually spatchcock. Trying to SV this year with sear before and a sear/butter baste after.
Maple glazed ham - A lot of people don't like turkey because they've never had good turkey. I throw together a maple glazed clove studded sucker for said people.
Creamed onions - pearl onions blanched and then stewed in cream
Mashed potatoes - obligatory, butter, whole milk, and an unnecessary amount of chives
Sweet potato casserole - Basically mashed sweet potato under a layer of pecan pie
Cranberry sauce - boil fresh cranberries in a raspberry lambic with sugar and other seasoning
Gravy - actually not sure how i'm going to do this this year with minimal drippings due to SV'ing the turkey
Red wine tarragon butter - there will be bread and muffins and they need a spread
Black garlic butter - really bread and butter could be their own meal
Pecan pie - hybrid between a few different sources, very boozey, my favorite
Rice Krispie treats - I do these with browned butter and flaky sea salt and it is one of those things people just consume
Egg nog - I am aging a batch right now and it looks like there won't be the usual Christmas party amongst this friend group this year, so I'm probably going to serve it

Friends will be bringing:
Smokey mac n cheese
Roast veggies farro salad
Savory stuffing
Deviled eggs
Corn spoonbread
Apple pie
Misc breads
Cheese/charcuterie plate

For my family I'll probably just spatchcock a turkey, do the maple glazed ham, and make some stuffing and not ask questions about what else they want to do. Friendsgiving is going to be ~20 people, a ton of food, and a playlist of 80's glam.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I need to do something for Thanksgiving to contribute to the family dinner but the main protein won't be affected.

Ideas for a dish that can be cooked with relatively little effort (kitchen will be busy) in a kitchen that isn't mine?

A+ thread title by the way.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
When the hell should i buy my turkey? Gonna be small this year. Maybe 10-15 lbs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
2-3 days ahead of fresh I think just to make sure stores don’t run out when you go shopping

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

2-3 days ahead of fresh I think just to make sure stores don’t run out when you go shopping

My mother decided to go the whole turkey breast route, but gently caress that noise! I like cooking whole turkeys so we compromised that i can cook one aslong as its a lil guy. So small fresh turkey it is for me. I'm gonna hit up that there whole foods and see if I can snag one of them, "organic" turkeys. Ethically raised and what not.

My only other question would be if I were to get it 3 or so days before (Fresh). Should I throw em in the freezer (which kinda defeats the purpose I guess) or just make room in the fridge and let em chill.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Resting Lich Face posted:

I need to do something for Thanksgiving to contribute to the family dinner but the main protein won't be affected.

Ideas for a dish that can be cooked with relatively little effort (kitchen will be busy) in a kitchen that isn't mine?

A+ thread title by the way.
Couple pounds of whole green beans or asparagus. Oil, s+p, broiler for 10 minutes, shaking halfway through.

Either that or bring something completed that's cold or room-temp, or can be microwaved easily. Trying to cook a side in someone else's busy, jammed kitchen on Thanksgiving is beyond a nightmare.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Anne Whateley posted:

Couple pounds of whole green beans or asparagus. Oil, s+p, broiler for 10 minutes, shaking halfway through.

Either that or bring something completed that's cold or room-temp, or can be microwaved easily. Trying to cook a side in someone else's busy, jammed kitchen on Thanksgiving is beyond a nightmare.

Yeah. I think pre-making something is the way to go I don't know why I didn't come up with that idea. Cheers.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah. I think pre-making something is the way to go I don't know why I didn't come up with that idea. Cheers.

I'll usually make a disposable tray or two of stuffing for those situations. Make it at home day before, throw the tops on, just reheat when there's 20 minutes to spare of oven space. Stuffing is better after a day or two anyway and no cleanup.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Greenbean casserole is great. I make it every year for the in-laws they love the stuff. No matter how many times that I've told them the recipe is on the back of the french onion container.

I'm a real hit at Thanksgiving

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Have you get a food processor? Make cranberry relish.

1 bag of cranberries
1 tart apple
1 orange
Sugar to taste

Core your apple and cut it into chunks. Peel your orange. Open you bag of cranberries, rinse them, and pick out any bad ones. Toss your fruit into the food processor and press the button. Stop when your cranberries and apples are minced; you may need to stop a few times in the middle to scrape down the sides of your processor with a spatula. Empty into a mixing bowl and stir in sugar to taste. Don't skimp; I'd say do at least half a cup, some people prefer a full one. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Meaty Ore posted:

Have you get a food processor? Make cranberry relish.

1 bag of cranberries
1 tart apple
1 orange
Sugar to taste

Core your apple and cut it into chunks. Peel your orange. Open you bag of cranberries, rinse them, and pick out any bad ones. Toss your fruit into the food processor and press the button. Stop when your cranberries and apples are minced; you may need to stop a few times in the middle to scrape down the sides of your processor with a spatula. Empty into a mixing bowl and stir in sugar to taste. Don't skimp; I'd say do at least half a cup, some people prefer a full one. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Great plan. Good call. My family has always done canned.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

We're thank god doing a relatively laid-back Thanksgiving this year, because the really demanding people who make use do the whole turkey and stuff are going to have a newborn baby like 2 days prior and they're staying home.

So it's just me, my parents and my younger sister and her girlfriend and we can be chill.

We're doing the Kenji beef tenderloin cause we're also in the cult of Kenji and I want an excuse to practice tying a roast, vegetarian gravy, horseradish cream sauce, butternut squash and curry soup, fresh gingerbread, lemon and balsamic reduction blackened brussel sprouts, mashed potatoes with crispy onions and some unspecified appetizers.

We hate American style stuffing and usually I make knoedel which are kind of like German stuffing-balls, but I'm trying to figure out how to make something similar in a casserole dish so I don't have to spend time forming the balls. I want a crunchier texture than the spongy stuffing kind of texture.

And I want to have a drink just thinking about Christmas ; my entire giant Catholic family is flying in from Germany and it's my shiny new Jewish girlfriend's first Christmas ever and she doesn't speak much German and the whole thing makes me just start grinding my teeth. I love my family, they're great. And I mean actually love them, we're close. But thinking about cooking for 40 people while explaining traditions and translating at the same time is making my eye twitch just thinking about it.

PS I look forward to these threads every year ; thanks! I'll post actual recipes when I'm not just hearing future-me screaming.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Gonna do Maangchi's Spicy Garlic Fried Chicken for Thanksgiving this year, since everyone agreed we didn't really actually care for turkey, particularly, and also I did this for Thanksgiving a few years ago and made my friend (who I'll be celebrating with) cry with how tasty it is.

My current debate is whether to make a Flaming Bishop, which is a very showy hot punch. It's quite tasty, but it's also sorta like Ambien. I didn't make one last year though and I sort of regret it. We'll see how the rest of the planning goes.

Anybody got any particularly fun desserts planned?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Kenning posted:

Gonna do Maangchi's Spicy Garlic Fried Chicken for Thanksgiving this year, since everyone agreed we didn't really actually care for turkey, particularly, and also I did this for Thanksgiving a few years ago and made my friend (who I'll be celebrating with) cry with how tasty it is.

My current debate is whether to make a Flaming Bishop, which is a very showy hot punch. It's quite tasty, but it's also sorta like Ambien. I didn't make one last year though and I sort of regret it. We'll see how the rest of the planning goes.

Anybody got any particularly fun desserts planned?

I'm pretty excited to try the Bon Appetit Pecan-Rye Pumpkin Pie. Love the idea of rye flour in the pie crust.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Veritek83 posted:

I'm pretty excited to try the Bon Appetit Pecan-Rye Pumpkin Pie. Love the idea of rye flour in the pie crust.

Idk they didnt even place at the fair :colbert:

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
First time hosting. Hosting both sides of the family this year, going to have 28 people. I’m planning on cooking 2 medium sized (~15lb) turkeys in 18qt electric roasting pans. That leaves the oven free for other stuff. I’m also planning on cooking mashed potatoes the night before, fridge overnight, and into a slow cooker for the day. I will be using great grandmas super simple stuffing recipe that everyone loves and cooking some in the birds and some in a casserole dish for the folks afraid of the cooties. I will also be making Debesmanna, a traditional Latvian dessert of whipped farina and cranberry juice that eats like a mousse.

Haven’t cooked turkeys in a roasting pan before but I’ve been told it works. Anybody here ever tried it? I’m contemplating trying two different recipes because why not make it a little more complicated?

We have sides of green bean casserole and sweet potato casserole coming (they are delicious despite what you think) and a few pies coming. What else am I not thinking of? Maybe a baked Mac and cheese with a crispy topping? The simpler the better, for I am but a simple man.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My nieces are all vegetarians now and they're coming this year to my family's competent but pretty traditional meat-focused southern thanksgiving feast, and unless I loving come to my senses fast I'm going to make kenji's ridiculous vegetables wellington from the ground up which will also put some mushroom gravy on the table so they can all go hog wild, because I'm a really good uncle. I was volunteered to do the collards and the country ham (thanks mom) but that's not even a huge deal in relation to this madness.

:siren: also, speaking of collards, you can make collards in the instant pot and break the seal outside to avoid stinking up your house :siren:. use high grade bird stock plus ham hock, onions, 1 serrano give or take and a couple of smoked turkey legs too if you're ambitious

Veritek83 posted:

I really want to make this, but there will already be a chocolate pecan pie and a bog standard pumpkin pie at thanksgiving and I probably already have enough on my plate. I can also recommend this totally different pureed pumpkin, pecan and booze pie, if anyone wants a more traditional pureed pumpkin pie with a little more going on:

Source: a Williams Sonoma dessert book

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 20, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

poverty goat posted:

I really want to make this, but there will already be a chocolate pecan pie and a bog standard pumpkin pie at thanksgiving and I probably already have enough on my plate. I can also recommend this totally different pureed pumpkin, pecan and booze pie, if anyone wants a more traditional pureed pumpkin pie with a little more going on:

Source: a Williams Sonoma dessert book

That pie would go over really well with the fam. And I could make it ahead of time. Perfect.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Morningstar patties are pretty good as far as vegetarian sausage substitutes go

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
My mum made a nut roast as a veggo option last Christmas which was really tasty. Think a meatball but made of nuts.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

They really are. I bet you could do a veg version of Kenji's stuffing with it. Do they sell a crumble option? If not you could always tear up the patties.

poverty goat posted:

:siren: also, speaking of collards, you can make collards in the instant pot and break the seal outside to avoid stinking up your house :siren:. use high grade bird stock plus ham hock, onions, 1 serrano give or take and a couple of smoked turkey legs too if you're ambitious

I use "country ham pieces" that I get for like $3. I also instant pot my greens, if you really go full bore on kale and cook them for 3 hours in the IP you get the richest pot likker, it's great.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 20, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

We're doing friendsgiving this year and a couple friends are vegetarian.

None of the meat eaters really care for turkey in the first place, so I'm trying to build a veg wellington that isn't as stupid complicated as Kenji's.

My thought was par cooking or roasting carrots/parsnips/etc in a super umami bomb glaze or rub. Mushroom powder/miso/soy etc etc. I'd still go with a mushroom duxelle on the inside of the puff pastry. Maybe additional filler with a nut or bean to make the filling a bit more solid and firm? Thoughts?

Edit: lentils maybe as part of the filler?

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 20, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Morningstar spicy bean burger patties are annoyingly good. I don't know why their fake meat bullshit is so much better than almost every other fake meat bullshit company.

Casu Marzu posted:

My thought was par cooking or roasting carrots/parsnips/etc in a super umami bomb glaze or rub. Mushroom powder/miso/soy etc etc. I'd still go with a mushroom duxelle on the inside of the puff pastry. Maybe additional filler with a nut or bean to make the filling a bit more solid and firm? Thoughts?

Edit: lentils maybe as part of the filler?
Black lentils as part of the filler for sure; also go with a glaze over a rub for the veg. Maybe consider roasting/toasting some walnuts in some kind of lightly spiced glaze (like, 1tsp honey, 1tsp mild harissa, stretch w/water) and pulse that up too, to add to the richness and get in a nice bitter edge. It's thanksgiving, make something rich and effortful

Wungus fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 20, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've done "vegducken" for vegetarian main in the past. A scallion stuffed in a zucchini stuffed in an eggplant stuffed in a butternut squash, with a breadcrumb/mushroom blend inbetween all layers.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

I've done "vegducken" for vegetarian main in the past. A scallion stuffed in a zucchini stuffed in an eggplant stuffed in a butternut squash, with a breadcrumb/mushroom blend inbetween all layers.

I'm sure it was tasty but p much every single layer of that sounds terrible to me. I don't prefer eggplant a whole lot. Or butternut squash. Or really zucchini.

Edit: Current draft is whole carrots roasted in some sort of super umami glaze, lightly mashed lentil, roasted walnut or pecan and diced kabocha squash as filler (not sure about the flavor for this, maybe just a generic garlic/onion/chili situation), duxelles, and puff pastry to wrap.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 20, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm sure it was tasty but p much every single layer of that sounds terrible to me. I don't prefer eggplant a whole lot. Or butternut squash. Or really zucchini.

Edit: Current draft is whole carrots roasted in some sort of super umami glaze, lightly mashed lentil, roasted walnut or pecan and diced kabocha squash as filler (not sure about the flavor for this, maybe just a generic garlic/onion/chili situation), duxelles, and puff pastry to wrap.

It actually ended up getting fought over with people being pissy that most of it was reserved as the vegetarian main. Having said that, it was way more effort than it was worth.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My uncles vegetarian and we've been adjusting/adding veggie dishes for years! We actually all love veggies, so we double down because we end up eating all the food we make for him lmao. I also have a cousin-in-law who is also vegetarian, but she is allergic to mushrooms. From what I heard, it's like swollen windpipes/throat allergic. So that really hampers what we can make. Mushrooms kick rear end.

She wont be there for thanksgiving, but it's always a challenge when I'm cooking at a family dinner and I gotta make a my veggie dish on a separate pan away from the meat and then on top of that make a separate veggie dish away from any mushrooms in the first dish.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Good mushroom or other gravy recipes I can make that don't require the meat juices? I really don't want powdered gravy at my family's dinner this year.

Also might try out that Brad/Claire pumpkin pie linked above.

Edit: What about leafy greens? Something with spinach or even better, arugula.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 22, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Use better than bouillon mushroom base if you can find it. Or soak dried shrooms in hot water and use that for the liquid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

They really are. I bet you could do a veg version of Kenji's stuffing with it. Do they sell a crumble option? If not you could always tear up the patties.

I chop them in the food processor.

I’ve done Kenji’s stuffing waffles with them three years in a row and the meat eaters have never complained, and it satisfies both the vegetarian and halal checkboxes

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Costco has a giant pack of "Spring Mix" for about $4.99 ! It's usually a mix of (copy pasted from website) Baby Romaine, Baby Chard, Baby Mizuna, Radicchio, Baby Red Leaf, Baby Green Leaf, Baby Oak Leaf, Baby Arugula, Baby Spinach, Baby Butter Lettuce.

Throw in some walnuts, some dressing of choice, and BAM. Good poo poo. Unless we were talking cooked greens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Random side note: Costco’s kale brussel sprout cabbage salad is nigh indestructible and even after you’ve mixed in the dressing it will stay good in the fridge for about 9-10 days