Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
you know what was good imo? Delphi. And I say this having written exactly two delphi programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i enrolled in a basic programming class in TYOOL 1994 because the engineering program had a core programming requirement and the course used qbasic. the first day the instructor went through an overview of the DOS environment that included configuring the prompt to show the working directory. DOS prompt formats use "$d" as the format code for the directory and when the instructor got to that part he said "now type string d."

it is reasonable to believe that tim paterson chose the dollar sign for that purpose because he had a basic programming background and that seemed like a natural way to indicate a variable within a format. but i already wasn't excited about taking a basic course in 1994 and the idea that an instructor would say "string" and just expect people to understand a dollar sign irritated me enough to go enroll in the CS department's pascal course as a substitute

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 9, 2019

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Gazpacho posted:

i enrolled in a basic programming class in TYOOL 1994 because the engineering program had a core programming requirement and the course used qbasic. the first day the instructor went through an overview of the DOS environment that included configuring the prompt to show the working directory. DOS prompt formats use "$d" as the format code for the directory and when the instructor got to that part he said "now type string d."

it is reasonable to believe that tim paterson chose the dollar sign for that purpose because he had a basic programming background and that seemed like a natural way to indicate a variable within a format. but i already wasn't excited about taking a basic course in 1994 and the idea that an instructor would say "string" and just expect people to understand a dollar sign irritated me enough to go enroll in the CS department's pascal course as a substitute

that seems like an overreaction. you didn't have to fly off the handle and do something crazy out of spite

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i don't regret it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

my college taught its intro to programming class using modula-2, but then switched to pascal half way through the semester because the lovely modula-2 compiler crashed on the new pentiums they just bought.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I liked AMOS because you could immediately draw poo poo to the screen

spending half an hour trying to learn what commands to use to just generate a window in windows with a million nonsensical boilerplate commands is a serious bummer and ruins any fun possible

pretty sure I would do this in amos

code:
for x = 1 to 5000
for y = 1 to 5000
draw ( 100 + 25* (sin x) , 100 + 25* (cos y))
next
next 
and that alone would draw a circle. I actually figured this out before I knew what sin and cos did, simply by throwing numbers into functions and plotting their outputs.

but the fact that you didn’t need to initialise anything and just get to the good poo poo is what made this appealing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’ve been role playing as an old Atari user and it’s cool, BASIC is really slow tho I recommend getting the assembler editor cart or even better mac/65

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

rotor posted:

you know what was good imo? Delphi. And I say this having written exactly two delphi programs.

it’s true, delphi was amazingly good. made visual basic look like amateur hour in every way. shame .net killed it

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

check out this demo my friend made in qbasic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnDnIdsiiK8

fun fact: line breaks have significance in Basic, so the longest line in this program is over 600 characters long!

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

yes, but you need quickbasic to be able to export executables.

check out this demo my friend made in qbasic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnDnIdsiiK8

edm is getting worse by the day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in the spirit of the demo scene is there something where people try to use BASIC to create the bombest poo poo ever seen

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

as a dumb kid i tried to buy a c compiler on ebay but what i actually ended up buying was a cd full of delphi code snippets???

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

echinopsis posted:

in the spirit of the demo scene is there something where people try to use BASIC to create the bombest poo poo ever seen

well, that demo was from a BASIC demo competiton at alternative party 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i liked programming in basic on my ti-83

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i liked programming in basic on my ti-83

here is a video of a TI-86 demo made in Basic. there are plenty of better TI demos, sure, but this is Basic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QwfBivriiA

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

here is a video of a TI-86 demo made in Basic. there are plenty of better TI demos, sure, but this is Basic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QwfBivriiA

not basic, but lol the music on this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxMzhw-Qrvw

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I enjoy being a basic nerd because pumpkin spice lattes are delicious and uggs are fun

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
in high school and community college, i was repeatedly owned by c++ and scheme related programming classes (why the gently caress is programming 101 using c++ when week 4 is for loops and week 5 is operator overloading?)

then i got a job doing cobol in a codebase that was 30 years old, 150 million lines, and filled to the brim with gotos :getin:

(i now sling plsql lmao)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Phone posted:

in high school and community college, i was repeatedly owned by c++ and scheme related programming classes (why the gently caress is programming 101 using c++ when week 4 is for loops and week 5 is operator overloading?)

then i got a job doing cobol in a codebase that was 30 years old, 150 million lines, and filled to the brim with gotos :getin:

(i now sling plsql lmao)

i don't think school is where you got owned here

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RustyKnight posted:

I started to learn to code about a year ago and i started with javascript, now i moved to c++ basics and i still cant do poo poo, i am terrible computer toucher and i wish i could have enthusiasm to actually have fun with writing programs, any suggestions what could i do that would be entertaining? Right now it all seems like a chore.

come up with something that sounds cool and fun to make, and then make it

though javascript and c++ both excel at giving you tons of rope to accidentally hang yourself with, actually coding the poo poo is ultimately going to be a bit of a drag no matter what language you pick. instead think about it at a level or two up from that - how you're going to design and architect it, how you're going to divide up the functionality into pieces and connect them together

personally, I have a lot of fun screwing around with retro console programming. it's self-contained and limited enough to help you avoid a lot of common problems with personal projects, like scope creep and dependency hell, and it's both complicated and highly interactive so even small amounts of progress are immediately satisfying and rewarding. and working in assembly is a good way of learning why basic computer science concepts matter, which to me is a lot more important than learning what they are

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Lol that anyone teaches operator overloading

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
better that kids learn it in the classroom than on some streetcorner

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what’s a real world use case for operator overdosing?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
guess it makes sense if you had some class which was for adding numbers that were given as words in strings 💯

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i would have been a terrible programmer even if basic hadn't been my first lang

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

OldAlias posted:

is R a p-lang

spell it in greek

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

fritz posted:

spell it in greek

:eyepop:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

what’s a real world use case for operator overdosing?

doing printf in a really unintuitive way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
genius

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

echinopsis posted:

Despite Dijkstra's famous judgement in 1975, "It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration",[11] BASIC was one of the few languages that was both high-level enough to be usable by those without training and small enough to fit into the microcomputers of the day, making it the de facto standard programming language on early microcomputers.

Dijkstra was a fack-idiot (I didn't find an English translation for fakki-idiootti so I lent you the word, no need to thank me) who cared more about an aspect of ADP (automatic data processing) that literally doesn't matter, i.e. "good programming" and poo poo on the only important aspect, i.e. the ability to produce working and useful software quickly and easily.

He sucks and is a big doodiehead.

BASIC is extremely good and cool and great and has allowed me to actually do useful things with computer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Not saying other programming languages are bad, except literally all object-oriented languages as they, unlike BASIC, result in human-unreadable code. COBOL is good for what it does. So is assembly code as it is linguistically exactly the same as BASIC proper. e: Well I guess it's actually the other way around, obviously.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jerry Cotton posted:

Not saying other programming languages are bad, except literally all object-oriented languages as they, unlike BASIC, result in human-unreadable code. COBOL is good for what it does. So is assembly code as it is linguistically exactly the same as BASIC proper. e: Well I guess it's actually the other way around, obviously.

the, uh, retro arguments thread is that way ->

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jerry Cotton posted:

Dijkstra was a fack-idiot (I didn't find an English translation for fakki-idiootti so I lent you the word, no need to thank me) who cared more about an aspect of ADP (automatic data processing) that literally doesn't matter, i.e. "good programming" and poo poo on the only important aspect, i.e. the ability to produce working and useful software quickly and easily.

BASIC is extremely good and cool and great and has allowed me to actually do useful things with computer.

flomar

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jerry you're all hopped on on milk, go to bed

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jerry Cotton posted:

he's one of those old-school theorists who thinks programming is a subset of mathematics and that a program being mathematically elegant is more important than whether it actually works.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
its true that dijkstra was a hopeless math nerd but he was also looking back from algol 60 which was revolutionary in a way that can be hard to appreciate. BASIC was trying to solve the problems of 1950s languages without the benefit of the work that algol had already done, much like PHP trying to make webdev easy without knowing anything about PLs or especially how subversion "fixed" CVS by hacking changelists on top of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dijkstra's problem was that he was coming from a soft science point of view trying to "solve" a non-problem in a hard science, i.e. linguistics.